Sign in to follow this  
Giants Fan

Refs clearly blew it .... again.

The announcers were saying that the clock you see on the screen is not "official". May be something to that since it seems that the clock goes to zero a lot without a penalty being called.

Good throw into traffic by the rook and an even better catch by Heap...........

The DOG game call didn't cost them, but its hard to swallow.

Reed going after Johnson and not getting a 15 yard penalty was awful too...

Fisher is the most overrated coach in he NFL.

I'm a big opponent of the "If you take away that 96 yard run by Barry Sanders ..." argument .... because the run happened, and there was no flag on the play. But if a play shouldn't have even happened ... I think that's a valid argument. Bad non-call. Clearly. Play should have been whistled dead.

I'm a big opponent of the "If you take away that 96 yard run by Barry Sanders ..." argument .... because the run happened, and there was no flag on the play. But if a play shouldn't have even happened ... I think that's a valid argument. Bad non-call. Clearly. Play should have been whistled dead.

If the Titans took care of the ball 1 more time inside the Raven 20, this wouldn't be an issue. If they made that FG, it wouldn't be an issue. If they played better defense vs Mason, this wouldn't be an issue.

If the Titans took care of the ball 1 more time inside the Raven 20, this wouldn't be an issue. If they made that FG, it wouldn't be an issue. If they played better defense vs Mason, this wouldn't be an issue.

Again, I didn't say that this changed the outcome of the game. I'm just saying that I think it was a CLEAR DOG CALL. And if I'm on defense, and I see that clock hit zero ... I might be offguard .... and that's why it's a penalty .... and the defense was on it .... it was an amazing catch .... but the play should have been whistled dead .... from the clock I saw.

Not my team .... I'm just being honest about what I saw.

It was clearly a delay of game. And they happen a lot, but the explanation is that the referee sees the clock hit zero, looks to his clock to confirm, then blows the whistle. But that accounts for about a 1/2 second. Last night's was clearly about 2 seconds past. Bad call. They blew it. It's too bad. I can't stand the Ravens, and definitely don't like to see them get anything. I thought Lee Suggs was roughing up Johnson the play before he got hurt, and could have been flagged. They were trying to break Chris Johnson in half after the whistles blew. Tennessee got called for the personal foul.

But . . . in the end, it's a mistake. That's all. A mistake. By itself, it wouldn't merit much discussion. But the reffing has been shaky. I don't think it was biased, just bad. And that's been endemic of the season.

I agree that the bending backwards of Chris Johnson after his forward momentum was clearly established, that was dirty and uncalled for. THAT'S WHY I don't like the Ravens! Dirty defense, that tries to hurt other players.

And that's why I hated to see them win in 2000, and Ray Lewis celebrated while the family of the guy he had stabbed to death were in mourning. I was not happy about that at all. I thought criminals were not allowed to play in the NFL?

I agree that the bending backwards of Chris Johnson after his forward momentum was clearly established, that was dirty and uncalled for. THAT'S WHY I don't like the Ravens! Dirty defense, that tries to hurt other players.

And that's why I hated to see them win in 2000, and Ray Lewis celebrated while the family of the guy he had stabbed to death were in mourning. I was not happy about that at all. I thought criminals were not allowed to play in the NFL?

Here is where I would diverge from your position, CJ was churning his legs and trying his best to get just another inch, and as such the defenders kept putting bodies on him and trying to push him back. There is a reason you see most NFL players covering up and protecting themselves rather than trying to churn while in the grasp, its dangerous.....

yeah bad no call, would have made a difference in the game at the time, but like filthy says, you can't put yourself in a position to have a bad call lose it for you. :mad:

Here is where I would diverge from your position, CJ was churning his legs and trying his best to get just another inch, and as such the defenders kept putting bodies on him and trying to push him back. There is a reason you see most NFL players covering up and protecting themselves rather than trying to churn while in the grasp, its dangerous.....

I dunno. He was churning initially, but at the end of the play, he was horizontal and was no longer going anywhere. To whit, the whistle blew, and three Ravens were bending him backwards despite that small fact. CJ's lineman (64) was trying to keep him in one piece, and so of course he got flagged.

I'm all for aggression, tough play and the like . . . and I respect that. But that struck me as dirty (though my viewpoint is a little biased. :mad: )

It was the equivalent of the last few minutes of a basketball game, and the refs were going to let the game be decided on the field without calling ticky tacky fouls. Let them play.

Was is blatant? Maybe. But at least it didn't happen in a Superbowl. :thumbsdown:

The Titans reckless disregard for protecting the football cost them this game. Collins INT was him throwing it up-for-grabs in the middle of the field. Lendale White was carrying the ball with 1 hand and never protected it in traffic, same with Crumpler. All 3 plays killed scoring drives. These weren't great plays by the Ravens D, just sloppy boneheaded plays by the Titans.

Totally disagree here. At the point when they were trying to bend him backwards, he was not churning his legs at all...because the other defender had them wrapped up.

One of the dumbest things said on this board in a while.

One of the dumbest things said on this board in a while.

Agree. How many teams would fire their current coach if Fisher was to suddenly become available? Probably all of them.

So it's his fault they had 3 redzone turnovers? Give me a freakin break. The guy is one of the best coaches in the league. PERIOD.

Say what you want, but the non call was a game changer. It put the Ravens into field goal range with that call.

I know the Titans didn't protect the ball, they had a couple of busted coverages...but after all that they were in position to atleast take the game into overtime, and the refs took the game out of the players hands. It was a 30 yard swing: the 5 yards + the 25 yard pass. That is BIG in the playoffs with the game on the line.

If it would've happened on the opening drive fine. But to allow it to happen in a tied game 4th quarter less than 3 minutes to go situation is unforgivable.

And yes I know Tennessee fumbled the ball...that's a big reason why they lost. But bottom line they were still in very good position to win the game until that non-call, that essentially gave the Ravens 30 yards and a field goal to win it.

You just hate to see that in the playoffs.

After having read the NFL's response and hearing the commentary, I'm not going to debate "what might have been", but I do think there's a few things that we can use to improve the game:

1) Make this reviewable. There's no valid reason NOT to do so. Fisher is co-chair of the committee that determines what is and isn't reviewable, I'd be willing to bet that this comes up.

Bigger point: They need to stop with the 'not reviewable' bullsqueeze. That's just stupid. No, you don't want ever damn play to be reviewed, and that's why they did this crap when they first implemented reveiw, but I think we've seen that's not been the case. If the booth sees something, if a coach sees something this blatant, review it. - It's better for the integrity of the game.

2) The way the refs / league described this: The back judge looks at the play clock - which in this case is on the jumbotron - and not on field level. So, how do you fix this? You put the play clock on the field level - at eye level. You can't have a guy looking 100 feet up and then swing his head down 45 degrees and 50 yards upfield. Other stadiums have this, the Titans don't. Their bad. Make it league-wide.

After the game, referee Terry McAulay said there was a "natural delay" when the back judge looks from the play clock to the center to see if the ball is snapped. The play clock at LP Field is located on the Jumbotron scoreboard, not at field level.

On Sunday, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told The Tennessean: "There's always a delay, the back judge looks at the clock and when it hits zero he looks at the ball and if the ball is in the process of being snapped there is no penalty, so the back judge has to make a determination.''

Totally disagree here. At the point when they were trying to bend him backwards, he was not churning his legs at all...because the other defender had them wrapped up.

We can agree to disagree but if I am a defender and i see the running back still churning his legs and getting forward motion....an NO whistle stopping the play. I am play to the whistle....period......CJ is a fantastic running back and you gotta love the extra effort, but with it comes danger.....

I think the Refs thought it was Peyton behind center. He is usually the biggest benefactor of the extended play clock.

Do you know anything about football?

Fisher has earned every ounce of my respect over the years. The guy consistently does more with less than any other coach in the game. How many other teams could lose their supposed franchise QB, play with a rag-tag group of WR and do so in a city that barely has the market to support the team and be as successful as he has been this year and in general? Anyone who would call Fisher an overrated coach is an underrated moron.

Say what you want, but the non call was a game changer. It put the Ravens into field goal range with that call.

I know the Titans didn't protect the ball, they had a couple of busted coverages...but after all that they were in position to atleast take the game into overtime, and the refs took the game out of the players hands. It was a 30 yard swing: the 5 yards + the 25 yard pass. That is BIG in the playoffs with the game on the line.

If it would've happened on the opening drive fine. But to allow it to happen in a tied game 4th quarter less than 3 minutes to go situation is unforgivable.

And yes I know Tennessee fumbled the ball...that's a big reason why they lost. But bottom line they were still in very good position to win the game until that non-call, that essentially gave the Ravens 30 yards and a field goal to win it.

You just hate to see that in the playoffs.

No the refs didn't GIVE them anything. The Ravens executed a 25 yard pass play and the Titans failed to defend it.

No the refs didn't GIVE them anything. The Ravens executed a 25 yard pass play and the Titans failed to defend it.

No the refs did not give them a free 25 yards...I can't believe I have to explain this. The play should've been stopped before the snap and marched back 5 yards. I realize the Titans failed to defend it...geez. But the point is the play should've never been allowed to proceed.

The non-call was a game changer though and I stand by that. Despite all that had gone wrong (fumbles, miss FGs, busted coverage) the Titans were still in very good position to win that game until that call resulted in a 30 yard swing for the Ravens. Add in the fact that it was during the 4th quarter of a tied game in the playoffs and it's even more inexcusable.

No the refs did not give them a free 25 yards...I can't believe I have to explain this. The play should've been stopped before the snap and marched back 5 yards. I realize the Titans failed to defend it...geez. But the point is the play should've never been allowed to proceed.

The non-call was a game changer though and I stand by that. Despite all that had gone wrong (fumbles, miss FGs, busted coverage) the Titans were still in very good position to win that game until that call resulted in a 30 yard swing for the Ravens. Add in the fact that it was during the 4th quarter of a tied game in the playoffs and it's even more inexcusable.

What if Cortland Finnegan would of intercepted that pass and returned it for a TD, would you be complaining then? Refs are human and humans make errors. Defend the pass and the perceived delay of game is a non issue. Score on one of your many possessions inside the 20 and the delay of game is a non issue. For Titans fans to even try to grab on to a potential delay of game penalty is ridiculous. You completely outplayed the Ravens and GAVE the game away. The refs had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Seriously? He took a team that was really crappy last year and turned them into the #1 seed with Kerry Freakin' Collins at QB.

Pretty damn good coaching if you ask me.

BTW, it wasn't Fisher fumbling the ball on Sunday. HTH.

The non-call was a game changer though and I stand by that.

Nope. A far more likely situation is that, ideally, the whistle blows, the play never executes, they march it back 5.

- And then the Ravens do exactly the same things against that play as they did in the first place. Honestly, watch the film. Did a SINGLE Titans player stop playing because he was watching the jumbo-tron game clock? Nope. So, you've got the same guys up against the same play - doing the same thing. Everythign else is just conjecture.

If you're going to say "game changer" you have to prove it. A no-call interference call where the player drops the ball in the end zone as a result? Absolutely a "game changer". A no-call against a hold on RB going into the open field? Absolutely a "game changer".

The point being, there's nothing in that no-call to prove an assertion of "game changer".

Nope. A far more likely situation is that, ideally, the whistle blows, the play never executes, they march it back 5.

- And then the Ravens do exactly the same things against that play as they did in the first place. Honestly, watch the film. Did a SINGLE Titans player stop playing because he was watching the jumbo-tron game clock? Nope. So, you've got the same guys up against the same play - doing the same thing. Everythign else is just conjecture.

If you're going to say "game changer" you have to prove it. A no-call interference call where the player drops the ball in the end zone as a result? Absolutely a "game changer". A no-call against a hold on RB going into the open field? Absolutely a "game changer".

The point being, there's nothing in that no-call to prove an assertion of "game changer".

I understand that they could've given up the play again. But then again they could've intercepted it. They could've batted it down, leading to a 4th down punt. You don't know what would've happened either, and that's the crappy part. The refs didn't allow us to see what should've happened.

How is it not a game changer given the severity of the situation? Playoffs. 4th quarter. Tied game. The fact that a play that shouldn't have ever went down put the Ravens into game winning field goal range is most certainly a game changer. Were all the stupid and ridiculous fumbles by the Titans game changers? Most certainly. But just because the Titans fumbled in the redzone doesn't excuse the officials the criticism they deserve. The fact is their error came at the worst possible time, and saying it didn't affect the game is ridiculous.

5 yards didn't cost the Titans that game. How about 3 turnovers? Allowing 2 long passes to Mason? 12 penalties?

Chris Johnson injury? Missed FG?

Try telling that to san diego fans when they STILL beotch about the week 2 call against Denver.

focking whining gashes, all of them.

Miraculous catch by Heap .... but ... the play clock had expired.

Whiner! :banana: