Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

NFL Mock Draft - Commentary Thread

ofcourse he has to be good. I thought that went without saying.

All of my thoughts on this topic stem from the sentiment I have been hearing that if the Lions are maybe slightly unsure or scared to make a QB investment, or if they have Curry and Stafford similarly rated, they should take Curry and save 10 million dollars. To me, thinking like that means you deserve to be a shitty franchise.

And again thats where my comments about extra revenue come into play. It was to show that if a team is concerned with saving 10 million on draft day, then they really should be looking at the extra revenue a face of the franchise at QB could bring to the table. If not, they need to hire some new execs.

Lastly let me say that Im not demanding they take a QB. Do I personally believe Stafford is the proper pick? yeah but the reality is if their evaluators do not have him on the top of their board, then they shouldn't draft him.

I just don't want to hear anyone claim they should base their final decision on money. An 0-16 team shouldn't be doing that.

the sentence I bolded is exactly what they would be doing if they make their decision based on $$$. If they have Curry and Stafford ranked similarly and choose Curry because he costs less and is in turn less of a financial risk, then they deserve to be the Lions and are picking scared.

I don't think anyone hear has said this. Of course if they are both equal in rating you take the QB. If you can just find a good QB in the draft you take him. No one has said if they are equal in rating take Curry. At least I don't think....I wrote this without check first.

Edit, I guess one guy did say something similar to that. But no one who kept talking about it claimed it.

Obviously QB is the most important position. if they like Stafford they should take him. But if they have doubts about him, they should waste a 1st and all that money just to sell a few more jerseys for a year.

They own 3 of the first 33 selections in a draft that is very very deep in offensive line talent... Why isn't now the time?

I mean they could very easily draft Stafford and then protect him with Michael Oher and Alex Mack.

The biggest reason personally is that I'm not convinced Stafford has what it takes. Logically speaking, most impact defensive players and OL do come from the first couple rounds of the draft and it seems more and more that you can find QBs scattered throughout the draft, trade (Quinn/Leinart) or even via free agency. The Lions will probably be in the top 10 next year and can entertain the thoughts of a QB all over again.

FYI: I won't be updating much starting Friday through Sunday...will be traveling. I expect it to slow down, but continue to pick if you want if you notice your pick come up.

I personally do not think Stafford is worth the 1st overall pick at all. But no one in this draft really is at this point in time. In hindsight there will be a guy that was worth a 1st overall.

I just don't think the Lions should pressure themselves in taking a QB if they don't really like the guy.

Well, they did take Matt Ryan 3rd overall and they did start him, and it worked very well.

It did work and obviously quite well. However, I'm going to go ahead and make the leap that the Lions of 2008 were in worse shape then the Falcons of 2007. There are ALOT more holes to be filled here and if you put Matt Ryan on the Detroit Lions, he would have been a disaster.That's not a reflection on Matt moreso an emphatic declaration of the state of the Lions. That IS my opinion as you stated.

The biggest reason personally is that I'm not convinced Stafford has what it takes. Logically speaking, most impact defensive players and OL do come from the first couple rounds of the draft and it seems more and more that you can find QBs scattered throughout the draft, trade (Quinn/Leinart) or even via free agency. The Lions will probably be in the top 10 next year and can entertain the thoughts of a QB all over again.

good defenders come out of nowhere just as often if not more so... how about this years defensive MVP?

Also many defenders end up being a product of their systems... look at the way the Ravens and Steelers have been churning out linebackers.

However I do agree with lineman.. While they have just as big a chance to bust, you don't see impact offensive lineman drafted in the later rounds as often as other positions.

Do the Raiders get to pick someone who as already been taken? Apparently, Al Davis' dementia has spread to the Raiders' faithful. :pointstosky:

Shame on kutulu for actually entering that pick. :pointstosky:

DaveJ repick Crabtree was taken by the seahawks 1.04

Why settle for Crabtree? He should have taken Curry instead.

I personally do not think Stafford is worth the 1st overall pick at all. But no one in this draft really is at this point in time. In hindsight there will be a guy that was worth a 1st overall.

I just don't think the Lions should pressure themselves in taking a QB if they don't really like the guy.

FWIW there have been a binch of threads on this very topic and Im pretty sure i've run into the same sentiment that the Lions should go with the safer player (Curry) at a pick that demands such a large invesment.

but i totally agree with you that if the lions do not like him, they should not be pressured to draft him.

I guess my main point is if they are just uncertain and afraid to make a mistake, they need to grow a set or accept being a failure of a franchise. I don't see them turning things around by being timid.

Shame on kutulu for actually entering that pick. :pointstosky:

Sorry about that...running around like mad a work :pointstosky: Drive thru is backed up like a mile. :pointstosky:

DaveJ repick Crabtree was taken by the seahawks 1.04

That's a shame...he put a lot of work into it, too. :pointstosky:

Look for the possibility of Maclin here if Crabtree ends up going earlier, but if he is there, Al will take him or trade down and take Maclin or Bey later.

I bet he repicks and tyakes Maclin. :cheers:

Add in the fact that this is one of the worst years for QBs. They have the 1st pick, doesn't mean Stafford is the guy.

Again, it all comes down to scouts and the GM/Coaches view on his skill set. He could end up being great or out of the league in 3 years. I don't know. All I do know is jersey sales and a buzz doesn't last long when you don't win.

Just wanted to address this real quick. Saying this is one of the worst years for QB's is just going off media.. We won't know for a while. Granted it looks that way on paper but remember when 1999 was supposed to be the best year for QB's since 83? How did that turn out?

Also I never meant to say the Lions should take Stafford BECAUSE of jersey sales and buzz... I just simply wanted to point out that anyone thinking in terms of money and that Curry is the safer investment, needs to factor in the added revenue a QB brings to the table.

I bet he repicks and tyakes Maclin. :music_guitarred:

I should be able to pick Maclin now. It like time running out on Minnisota a few years ago, he f'd up - my pick. :thumbsdown:

only half kidding. I'm sure that is who he will be picking also.

I should be able to pick Maclin now. It like time running out on Minnisota a few years ago, he f'd up - my pick. :rolleyes:

only half kidding. I'm sure that is who he will be picking also.

LOL... sorry about that guys.. a breakdown between the chair and the keyboard. I don't think Maclin is a lock, Al will take a long and serious look at those 40 numbers and the injuries Maclin has had to his knees. With Crabtree gone, I think there is a strong possibility they will trade down a few spots and grab Bey because he will add KR/PR to the mix with that speed. Maclin is a possibility, but my gut (for what that is worth) is that those 40 times will lead to Heyward-Bey being the pick, either at 7 or down a bit further. A lot depends on the QB's... if stafford slips or teams continue to be hot for Sanchez, the Raiders would be a good team to trade up on. I don't think there is much difference between Maclin and Heyward-Bey that they won't be willing to drop a few spots and take the faster of the two.

You all made this a tough decision for me. Unlike some of you I think stafford will be a good QB. I really did not want to take a QB at this spot especially to pay him top 10 money to sit on the bench for a year or two while he learns. But out of those players left I could not pass on him.

LOL... sorry about that guys.. a breakdown between the chair and the keyboard. I don't think Maclin is a lock, Al will take a long and serious look at those 40 numbers and the injuries Maclin has had to his knees. With Crabtree gone, I think there is a strong possibility they will trade down a few spots and grab Bey because he will add KR/PR to the mix with that speed. Maclin is a possibility, but my gut (for what that is worth) is that those 40 times will lead to Heyward-Bey being the pick, either at 7 or down a bit further. A lot depends on the QB's... if stafford slips or teams continue to be hot for Sanchez, the Raiders would be a good team to trade up on. I don't think there is much difference between Maclin and Heyward-Bey that they won't be willing to drop a few spots and take the faster of the two.

Ive heard some rumors of the Raiders looking at Michael Johnson

but i think these may be abusing the "Al Davis loves speed and freak athleticism" notion.

You all made this a tough decision for me. Unlike some of you I think stafford will be a good QB. I really did not want to take a QB at this spot especially to pay him top 10 money to sit on the bench for a year or two while he learns. But out of those players left I could not pass on him.

That's a great pick for the Jags imo. Good value too.

I like the value the Pack got with Orakpo :thumbsup:

Just wanted to address this real quick. Saying this is one of the worst years for QB's is just going off media.. We won't know for a while. Granted it looks that way on paper but remember when 1999 was supposed to be the best year for QB's since 83? How did that turn out?

Also I never meant to say the Lions should take Stafford BECAUSE of jersey sales and buzz... I just simply wanted to point out that anyone thinking in terms of money and that Curry is the safer investment, needs to factor in the added revenue a QB brings to the table.

Everything about this years draft that we talk about on here is on paper. No way around it.

Ive heard some rumors of the Raiders looking at Michael Johnson

but i think these may be abusing the "Al Davis loves speed and freak athleticism" notion.

DE out of GT?? I hadn't heard that. That would be a HUGE stretch at 7.... perhaps their 2nd or 3rd round though. I think they will go O-line in the 2nd unless someone like Darius Butler is still there.

Yep... if Stafford drops that far, there will be some trades made. That's what is tough about this mock... If I were the Raiders and Stafford or Sanchez was there, teams at 10-13 would be looking to trade up to grab the top QB... while teams like the Jets and Bucs might want to jump up to grab Sanchez since if both are still there at 7, they won't make it past 13 I think. If you want one or the other you're going to have to move up to get them. If the Raiders move to 10-13, both Maclin and Bey, or at least one of them, will be there. If they move to 17 or 19, they may miss them.

Not a bad pick for the Jags though and certainly a possible pick... though they do need WR help bad too, I think they would grab the QB first.

DE out of GT?? I hadn't heard that. That would be a HUGE stretch at 7.... perhaps their 2nd or 3rd round though. I think they will go O-line in the 2nd unless someone like Darius Butler is still there.

thats what I thought as well but apparantly he had a very good pro day and could possibly be a late first round pick with tons of upside.

I still peg the Raiders for a WR at 7 if they stay put.

thats what I thought as well but apparantly he had a very good pro day and could possibly be a late first round pick with tons of upside.

I still peg the Raiders for a WR at 7 if they stay put.

The Raiders are so good at building a team.

Yep... if Stafford drops that far, there will be some trades made. That's what is tough about this mock... If I were the Raiders and Stafford or Sanchez was there, teams at 10-13 would be looking to trade up to grab the top QB... while teams like the Jets and Bucs might want to jump up to grab Sanchez since if both are still there at 7, they won't make it past 13 I think. If you want one or the other you're going to have to move up to get them. If the Raiders move to 10-13, both Maclin and Bey, or at least one of them, will be there. If they move to 17 or 19, they may miss them.

Not a bad pick for the Jags though and certainly a possible pick... though they do need WR help bad too, I think they would grab the QB first.

Yea, I forgot to mention that if Stafford would fall to 8 I think the jags will trade the pick. They have other needs that could be addressed with more picks.

I think Maybin ends up being Buffalo's pick. His stock has really been rising of late since he has shown he can continue to bulk up and keep the weight on.

Then again I have the Packers taking Brown in my personal mock so if he is there for Buffalo i'm sure they give him a look but I think he is a better fit in a 3-4.

I think Maybin ends up being Buffalo's pick. His stock has really been rising of late since he has shown he can continue to bulk up and keep the weight on.

Then again I have the Packers taking Brown in my personal mock so if he is there for Buffalo i'm sure they give him a look but I think he is a better fit in a 3-4.

I think they are both better in a 3-4. Maybin more so. Maybin had to bulk up to get to 249. Brown is naturally 256.

I took Orakpo for obvious reasons, he fell all the way to #9 which was a pleasant surprise. I would not have taken Everette Brown. He's undersized (Measured at just over 6'1" at combine) and Florida States DE record speaks for itself. I wouldn't have picked Maybin either because it hasn't been Ted Thompson's MO to take guys that leave so early, maybe because the sample size is too small. As I say that I admit that I would have taken Andre Smith because I think he could be a special talent. I can't say I feel the same way about Brown or Maybin.

As I stated before I would have probably taken either Oher or Tyson Jackson. Oher, because I'm not really sure why mockers have dropped him so far, but believe he's got talent similar to the other OT's in this draft. And Jackson because he's a prototypical 3-4 DE and there's no other DE with his size in this draft.

I took Orakpo for obvious reasons, he fell all the way to #9 which was a pleasant surprise. I would not have taken Everette Brown. He's undersized (Measured at just over 6'1" at combine) and Florida States DE record speaks for itself. I wouldn't have picked Maybin either because it hasn't been Ted Thompson's MO to take guys that leave so early, maybe because the sample size is too small. As I say that I admit that I would have taken Andre Smith because I think he could be a special talent. I can't say I feel the same way about Brown or Maybin.

As I stated before I would have probably taken either Oher or Tyson Jackson. Oher, because I'm not really sure why mockers have dropped him so far, but believe he's got talent similar to the other OT's in this draft. And Jackson because he's a prototypical 3-4 DE and there's no other DE with his size in this draft.

How tall do you have to be to play OLB? James Harrison I believe is 6 foot even. Brown is 6'1 1/2. I am afraid of FSU DEs too. But Jamaal Reynolds was out of position, I think Brown will do well in a 3-4. 4-3 has some questions but he is too talented for the Bills to pass up just because he played for FSU.

Also Jackson at 9 is a huge reach. A 3-4 end this high is crazy.

It sounds like Aaron Maybin is the premiere pass rusher in this draft. I'm not quite sure how he fits into a 3-4 scheme, but if the Packers are looking to put pressure on the QB, Maybin would be the pick...

Also Jackson at 9 is a huge reach. A 3-4 end this high is crazy.

2001, 6th pick in the first round by the New England Patriots, Richard Seymour.

Crazy like a fox :cheers:

It sounds like Aaron Maybin is the premiere pass rusher in this draft. I'm not quite sure how he fits into a 3-4 scheme, but if the Packers are looking to put pressure on the QB, Maybin would be the pick...

Where is it stated that Maybin is the premier pass rusher in the draft? If so, why are Orakpo and Brown consistently rated higher than Maybin?

Are you saying Maybin was the pick over Orakpo at #9? I'm guessing most would disagree with you if that's the case.

Where is it stated that Maybin is the premier pass rusher in the draft? If so, why are Orakpo and Brown consistently rated higher than Maybin?

Are you saying Maybin was the pick over Orakpo at #9? I'm guessing most would disagree with you if that's the case.

Correct me if I am wrong here, guys, but isn't Maybin just one of those tweeners (OLB, DE) that teams haven't figured out yet? I think that he only played one season (and did not even start the season as a starter), so his body of work is probably not sufficient to take that risk this early in the draft.

I believe that Orakpo is more of a known commodity here who is consistently getting top 10 grades (usually top 5). He still has some question marks as to whether the is a DE or OLB, but at least you have a body of work that you can gauge from.

good defenders come out of nowhere just as often if not more so... how about this years defensive MVP?

Also many defenders end up being a product of their systems... look at the way the Ravens and Steelers have been churning out linebackers.

However I do agree with lineman.. While they have just as big a chance to bust, you don't see impact offensive lineman drafted in the later rounds as often as other positions.

I was bored yesterday so I decided to actually check the defensive pro bowl rosters from 2008 just to get a sampling of rounds the players were actually drafted.

80% of the players were 3rd round picks or better

65% were 2nd round or better

16 of the 34 players were 1st round picks.

I based my assessment on a 252 player draft. Although the top three rounds of a draft only make up 38% of the draft, 80% of the pro bowlers come from this group. That suggests to me that most of these players are not becoming great due to systems. They were known talents, drafted as such, and good organizations helped to exploit those talents.

Now of course, you will always sprinkle in some late round gems/FAs as you mention but it's hard to argue where most of your impact players are coming from. Early and often naturally.

13 of the current 32 starting QBs are 4th round picks or worse.

15 of the 32 are 3rd round or worse picks.

I was bored yesterday so I decided to actually check the defensive pro bowl rosters from 2008 just to get a sampling of rounds the players were actually drafted.

I based my assessment on a 252 player draft. Although the top three rounds of a draft only make up 38% of the draft, 80% of the pro bowlers come from this group. That suggests to me that most of these players are not becoming great due to systems. They were known talents, drafted as such, and good organizations helped to exploit those talents.

Now of course, you will always sprinkle in some late round gems/FAs as you mention but it's hard to argue where your impact players are coming from. Early and often naturally.

Good analysis. :thumbsup:

I would bet that other positions are pretty similar as well. How bored are you today? :lol:

Good analysis. :thumbsup:

I would bet that other positions are pretty similar as well. How bored are you today? :lol:

TEARS

2001, 6th pick in the first round by the New England Patriots, Richard Seymour.

Crazy like a fox :thumbsdown:

Name a few more.

Also

Seymour as a prospect >>>> Jackson as a prospect.

Now of course, you will always sprinkle in some late round gems/FAs as you mention but it's hard to argue where most of your impact players are coming from. Early and often naturally.

13 of the current 32 starting QBs are 4th round picks or worse.

15 of the 32 are 3rd round or worse picks.

oh definately. I wouldn't argue that most often they come from the first few rounds. Altho oddly enough I was looking at first round alone VS all other rounds so im more interested in that 16 of 34 you mentioned.

yeah those QB numbers are about what I expected as well..

so idk how to explain it... i guess probably that there are ONLY 32 starting QB's in the league where as even though only 34 defenders made the pro bowl there are tons and tons of impact starting defenders in the league. Some may have just missed out on the pro bowl themselves.

kind of hard to simply compare pro bowl defenders with starting QB's. A better comparison would be starting QB's and starting defenders by %'s.

(not asking you to undertake that :unsure: )