Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

NFL Mock Draft - Commentary Thread

heh yeah i thought i was being skipped over for being an hour late...

if that other guy got 3 days wtf

I think Chronic Husker is picking for the Chiefs, Broncos, and Jets :mellow: Just under different names.

I think Chronic Husker is picking for the Chiefs, Broncos, and Jets :mellow: Just under different names.

you got us! i mean him, i mean me

:unsure:

Well, I've got a pick coming up next for the Bucs. I probably won't be online again until sometime this evening. Most of the mocks have them taking Freeman, but obviously that is highly unlikely with the signing of Lefty. The desperately need D-Line and OLB help, but I'm thinking they might go after a WR for Lefty to throw to. Most of their offseason so far seems to be centerd on upgrading the offense. Tyson Jackson would be a good fit, but I could see them going for a WR like Nicks. Discuss, pick without me if you must. I might not be online again until around 9:00pm depending on what happens at work today.

Well, I've got a pick coming up next for the Bucs. I probably won't be online again until sometime this evening. Most of the mocks have them taking Freeman, but obviously that is highly unlikely with the signing of Lefty. The desperately need D-Line and OLB help, but I'm thinking they might go after a WR for Lefty to throw to. Most of their offseason so far seems to be centerd on upgrading the offense. Tyson Jackson would be a good fit, but I could see them going for a WR like Nicks. Discuss, pick without me if you must. I might not be online again until around 9:00pm depending on what happens at work today.

Fock...he was just here and now he's gone.

Could Leftwich Be A Buccaneer Smokescreen?

The contract given by the Bucs to quarterback Byron Leftwich reportedly includes a $2 million base salary in 2009.

Unless there’s a signing bonus (and no published report suggests that there is), the Buccaneers could later choose to dump Leftwich with no financial consequence.

And so we’re not prepared to agree with Stephen Holder’s take in the St. Petersburg Times that the arrival of Leftwich is “the strongest indication yet that quarterback is not a consideration for the Bucs’ first-round pick in the draft.”

We think that the Bucs are still potentially in play for a guy like Josh Freeman at No. 19, and that signing Leftwich less than two weeks before the picks start to fly might persuade some of the folks who might otherwise be inclined to leapfrog Tampa to assume that the Bucs would pass on Freeman if he’s still on the market when they go on the clock.

~pft.com

Fock...he was just here and now he's gone.

~pft.com

I heard that they were hedging their bets on this as well. Even if they are able to get a young QB, they might want a veteran like Leftwich in there to possibly take over the first season or at least until they can see what they have. They don't want to be dealing from desperation during the draft and they don't want to commit big dough early on.

fellas-

sorry i wasn't around to make the pick, we were in the hospital literally all weekend for family stuff (no really.) and Monday as well, but i couldn't miss anymore time from work. didnt mean to hold yall up at all, glad it moved on without me, as i know how frustrating that can be.

on the texans pick-

i will refrain from using anyone's name who hasn't been taken, but my general view on Houston's upcoming selection.

the draft is one of my very favorite events of the year, it rivals the superbowl for me, im that into it. yes im a dork, i know this. i put my first mock for this together in Oct. of last year, and have done one almost every week since then. i really try and stay on top of all the prospects, and what the texans are doing. i can understand why Matthews would be thrown out here at this point. he was all the buzz, especially as the media as a whole doesnt know which way we will go.

its a good bet we will go defense with that first pick. the offense is coming together well, we have a glut of WR, a top TE, and a RB gem in Slaton. is it possible we go RB in the 1st to be a compliment. yes, a possibility as to copy the Carolina/NYG RB plan that's gaining steam. a true RBBC approach. However, there is worry that it would be a slap in the face to Slaton, after he played his heart out to pay a guy millions to be his backup/partner. in addition the RB class is weak this year as we all know.

so defense lets assume. they have spent a lot of 1st round picks on Dlinemen in the past M.Williams (superstar) A.Okoye (waiting to see) T.Johnson(bust) and just spend a lot of FA money on A.Smith from Arizona and signed S.Cody from Detroit for more depth. I think it is very unlikely the pick will go to the Dline spot. that leaves LB, CB, S.

We are set at MLB with D.Ryans. X.Addibi played the WLB spot very well when called into duty last year, and has put on extra weight with a full season in our conditioning program. he is our WLB of the future. Z.Diles played the SLB spot last year. racked up a lot of tackles, though many argue he did so too far past the LOS. he was hurt at the end of last year, and its yet to be seen if he can be healthy or not. So a LB makes sense, especially a SLB.

clay, along with cush, are the only 'graded' SLB anywhere near the 1st round. i dont put as much stock into 'grades' as they move around so much and every 'expert' is proven wrong a lot come draft day. but the SLB are thin this year. specifically about clay, he really only started this year. he was only a special teamer and part time player up to this point. he played on one of the best D's in the country, with people around him to make him better. going into this year he was a 2/3 round pick at best.

he then blew away the combine and pro days, and looks great in shorts. however, the rise is a little unreal. if taken we would expect him to really learn a new spot (as he mostly rushed at USC) and be great at it. im not saying he cant, just that its a lot of 'ifs' to be included for a 1st round pick. with a 1st they want a starter, and as close to a sure thing as they can get. i think there are too many questions surrounding clay to make him the 1st.

in addition the texans have signed cato june recently to bolster their LB corp, as well as Buster Davis (likely cut before the season.) They still have Bentley who can play SLB, and WLB in a pinch too. really enough bodies to make it work.

i think its more likely they go DB in the 1st. either CB or SS. dunta robinson was franchised this year, even though he was promised a long term deal. he wasnt happy, its becoming more and more clear here that he is really unhappy. there are a lot of rumors he could be traded by the draft. if that happens its almost a lock we go CB in the 1st. if not it could still happen, as insurance in case dunta doesnt stay or his knee breaks down again. we have some young CB prospects (bennett moulden) but both big question marks.

SS is another big ? at this point. we basically have no one there. barber/ferguson are competing for the starting spot, both look more to be backups at best.

then comes the 'grade' issue. none of the SS carry a mid-1st grade. well if they like a guy, i think they will pull the trigger on him there if they have to. we could really use a SS as its arguably the biggest hole on our starting squad.

in reality, what i think/hope will happen is they will actively (as many other teams do) try and trade down a little ways, and pick a SS if Robinson stays with the team this year, or if a trade happens stay put and grab a CB.

Wake me up for the only Bears pick in the second round

2/3 of the way through round 1 :overhead:

20 Detroit Lions (from Dallas)

21 Philadelphia Eagles

22 Minnesota Vikings

23 New England Patriots

24 Atlanta Falcons

25 Miami Dolphins

26 Baltimore Ravens

27 Indianapolis Colts

28 Philadelphia Eagles (from Carolina)

29 New York Giants

30 Tennessee Titans

31 Arizona Cardinals

32 Pittsburgh Steelers

H. Nicks is my #2 WR in the draft. That said, I think the Bucs could find better value elsewhere and still draft a solid WR in round 2, they have a 2nd round pick right?

H. Nicks is my #2 WR in the draft. That said, I think the Bucs could find better value elsewhere and still draft a solid WR in round 2, they have a 2nd round pick right?

Nope. They don;t have a 2nd round pick.

Nope. They don;t have a 2nd round pick.

Was that part of the Winslow trade?

Went with d-line at 1.20 but considered other spots on defense.

And the Colts hate you for it! :unsure:

So now you grabbed Curry 1st overall, after trading for Julian Peterson in the off season. And you picked up Jerry. That should help your defense quite a bit.

You've gotten some nice pieces on defense but your offensive line is in trouble. Just my opinion but I would have seriously considered Eben Britton here since your first pick was Curry.

Once neither Oher or Andre Smith fell to this spot the pick was easy...Im not in the same boat as some Eagles fans in thinking that Pettigrew should be the 1st pick...I can live with Celek and hope to teach him to be a better in-line blocker. Last off season he was recovering from injury and I think this offseason he will learn better technique. Will he be an all-pro..no, but I think he can be Chad Lewis/Owen Daniels type.

The Moreno pick give us some flexibility for 2009 to be able to split Westbrook out and or give him the rest he needs (unlike what Booker brought to the table last year), give DMac another "weapon" and gives us a possible franchise back for the next 7 years.

Ideally I would love to see this happen or get Andre Brown in the 2nd..for some reason he reminds me of Duce. If Brown were the guy in the 2nd then I would have to consider how much Buffalo wants to deal Jason Peters

So now you grabbed Curry 1st overall, after trading for Julian Peterson in the off season. And you picked up Jerry. That should help your defense quite a bit.

You've gotten some nice pieces on defense but your offensive line is in trouble. Just my opinion but I would have seriously considered Eben Britton here since your first pick was Curry.

I am looking at making serious upgrades to one side of the ball, in this case defense. again, thinking if you hold teams to 20 points, you can have a shot in any game.

The Vikings will address one of three positions with their first pick: CB, WR, OT

It is tempting to snatch Butler with this pick as he would provide much needed depth in the secondary as well as help with the return game. But it's hard to spend a first rounder on a guy who won't be on the field that often in 2009. The Vikes are in a 'win now' mode, so I think CB will be addressed later.

Same goes with WR. I hope Chilly and Co. would give serious consideration to Maclin if he were still available. I'm not quite sure how he fared for the scouts (maybe a little slower than expected?) but the guy made a ton of plays for Mizzou, both in the recieving and return games. I think he could help a pretty stale...and predictable Vikings O next year. Not sold on Harvin, and I'm sure Chilly would pass on a guy rumored to have some issues. Kenny Britt? Maybe. But that might signal the end for Rice, and it's too early for that. Since it's a pretty deep receiver class, Vikes opt to hold off on a WR.

That leaves OT. Ryan Cook is horrible. He needs to be replaced ASAP. Thus the Britton pick. The book on the guy is exactly what the Vikes need here:

Good initial hand punch and can physically control his opponent when he locks on. ... Cognizant pass blocker who recognizes the blitz and adjusts accordingly. ... Flashes a deep kick-step to force pass rushers wide. ... Adequate lateral agility to mirror the pass rusher. ... Forceful run blocker. ... Despite his height, can play with leverage in the running game and drive defenders off the line. ... Only marginal agility in the open field, but can eliminate defenders at the college level with intimidating pancake blocks. ... Leader of the line. ... Has started 37 consecutive games.

Britton allows the Vikes the ability to run right from time to time while giving Sage some time to throw......though, how much time do you need to throw a 5 yard out? :doublethumbsup:

Not ripping the Moreno to the Eagles pick in the least. I have seen him going to Philly in so many mocks, and have heard many "experts" say they should take him. I am certainly in the minority in thinking it doesn't make sense.

Eagles are a win now team. Moreno will help their running game, but how much? Westbrook does get bruised up a bit. But couldn't they sign a decent RB to back him up or change the pace? As long as Westy is healthy I would want him out there on each down, or as much as possible.

It just seems to me with McNabb getting up in age, that they should look for WR/OLine/Defensive help over adding a backup RB in round 1 or a RB of the future when they will have an old McNabb or an unknown at QB.

I just don't get it.

I think the Moreno pick is a "now" and future need...There isnt anyone to sign..unless you think that LJ may shake out of the KC Tree...

Who would you have selected?...and also my real plan would be to trade for Peters, and or possibly get Andre Brown in the 2nd.

I think the Moreno pick is a "now" and future need...There isnt anyone to sign..unless you think that LJ may shake out of the KC Tree...

Who would you have selected?...and also my real plan would be to trade for Peters, and or possibly get Andre Brown in the 2nd.

Just seems like a future pick. I wouldn't want him getting more then 5-8 carries a game for the next 2 years if I have Westy. I just don't buy taking part of a RBBC in the 1st round. Many seem to like that way though...

but who would you take?....What do you think the needs are that can be addressed with immediate impact...I somewhat agree with you and would like to see them make a deal but didnt think that it met the parameters of this mock

Some nice progress today. Thanks for sticking with it.

Dooshbags. :dunno:

So, I figured that we wanted to have a solid OLB or CB pick available when #23 came around. Cushing falls from the top 15, where I had him into #23.

In the real draft, I think that the Pats are going to move picks. They have 11 picks overall and no one can seriously think that they can take them all. Add in the fact that they have 3 compensatory picks that cannot be traded, you are probably looking at some packing of picks to move up a few spots here and there with the emphasis on the picks that they have in the top 2 rounds (4 of them) along with trading for some next season. I would be surprised if the Pats ended up actually making more than 7 picks overall this draft.

A lot of mocks I've seen have the Falcons going with Pettigrew here. I don't see it. They lost their starting DT and both OLBs through free agency. If Cushing wasn't taken before this pick, he might have been the choice. As it is, I think the Falcons jump on this guy. He's done well for himself at the combine and his pro day and is moving up a lot of teams' boards. He'll step in right away to replace Grady Jackson, and help take the pressure off of linebackers.

Dolphins-

My guess is that a couple of top OLB will still be available in the official draft, and that is where Miami will focus.

For the sake of this mock draft...I selected Smith as the pick because I feel he can be plugged into a CB or Saftey position and he should have a very good NFL career.

On a side note-

I almost went center to help out with the run game...but finally landed on Smith. I also was looking at the other top RB still on the board. I'd be shocked if he was still around by the time Miami drafts!

'skids is on the high seas, he's probably not going to be making Arizona's pick. kutulu will just be high, but he could make the pick anyway.

Cool?

If you guys gets to the Eagles again today , I wont be home until 11PM Eastern Time and will likely be out of having a computer. A dedicated Eagles fan preferably Ghost, Next Generation, MDC or one of the other regulars should make my pick....If Im back by the time its picked Ill make the selection

Holy shiot, you slow azz mother fockers, the Titans will likely make their second round pick for real next weekend before I do on this bored.

Hurry up already! :rolleyes:

Holy shiot, you slow azz mother fockers, the Titans will likely make their second round pick for real next weekend before I do on this bored.

Hurry up already! :bandana:

RLLD should be around soon...dude's always around. I thought we made some good progress yesterday...for a change.

Not sure I am 100% happy with this pick, nor would I want this to be our pick in the real draft, but there is no doubt that the Colts will draft a NT/DT or WR in the first round, with who is available.

I am 90% sure after all the stuff about Harvin, that the Colts will not draft him, as this seems to be who they are, they avoid these players and cut ties with ones that start to have issues.

So Britt seemed to be a good fit and still worthy of a first round pick.

Y'know, a little over a month ago it was suggested that I was an idiot ( not here) for promoting the notion that Britt should be taken ahead of Robiskie, I am interested to hear some banter from the class on this pick. I agree with it completely, both for the Colts AND before Robiskie....

Y'know, a little over a month ago it was suggested that I was an idiot ( not here) for promoting the notion that Britt should be taken ahead of Robiskie, I am interested to hear some banter from the class on this pick. I agree with it completely, both for the Colts AND before Robiskie....

I agree with the idiot part. :unsure:

I agree with the idiot part. :angry:

I steal yo soul and cast Lightning Lvl 1,000,000 Your body explodes into a fine bloody mist, because you are only a Lvl 2 Druid :unsure:

I just don't agree that the Colts need to waste a 1st or 2nd rounder on a WR. The passing game was still solid with Marvin sucking. Just because an old Marvin is now gone doesn't mean you need a WR. He was basically gone last year. You have Peyton Manning and you want to win now. Rookie WRs generally take longer to become a factor. Let the best QB in the game make studs out of no one. He still has Clark, Wayne, and Gonzo. Adding weapons to the passing game via draft makes no sense to me, even more so in round 1. They should/or should have picked up a decent vet to catch balls.

Holy hell do they hold Manning's hand. Harrison was there as a 1st round. Wayne, Edge, Addai, Clark, Gonzo all first rounders. If he really is an elite QB he can do it with other WRs. Favre at the end of his career did well with Driver Jennings and Jones all not selected in the 1st round.

I just think WR in the 1st round is forcing it and an overreaction to an old Marvin leaving.

I just don't get it. Sure if a WR falls to them like a Maclin or Crabtree, but why force it?

And I'm not bashing the pick. Just like a RB to the Eagles I see a WR to the Colts a lot. I just don't understand it.