Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

NFL Mock Draft - Commentary Thread

Sent hello an email yesterday. We'll give him till noon EST and then I'll ask for suggestions for Houston's pick.

You're more patient than I am. New Orleans made their pick on Friday. I understand there was a holiday weekend but to ignore it completely since Friday is saying something.

I'd strongly consider a clock now because the real draft is only 2 weeks out. I'm not saying it needs to be a strict clock, but it wouldn't hurt to get a pick in at least once every 3 days :thumbsup:

i was simply wondering why you posted 1 opinion that he was not the top 3-4 end and proclaimed he was not the consensus best.. he clearly still is even if a few opinions go against that wisdom. Thats all.

I understand the rest of your argument and that you feel he isn't worth a pick that high, but don't try to claim he is not even the consensus best 5 technique in the draft just to enhance your point.

I don't know how I feel about Jackson going that high.. I think if a team evaluates him as the best 3-4 end and that is a need their team has, especially with many teams converting to the 3-4.. then he might just be worth that pick especially compared to other options. But i wont at all be surprised to see him slip and do agree with a number of your opinions.

Consensus was the wrong word. He just isn't the Aarron Curry of 3-4 DEs or the Malcolm Jenkins for CBs, or Raji for DTs. Seymour the year he was picked 6th, was far and away the best 3-4 DE and one of the best defensive players in that draft. And he has backed up the hype with recording solid sack numbers and leading championship defenses. Everything I have heard indicates that Jackson has limited upside.

You're more patient than I am. New Orleans made their pick on Friday. I understand there was a holiday weekend but to ignore it completely since Friday is saying something.

I'd strongly consider a clock now because the real draft is only 2 weeks out. I'm not saying it needs to be a strict clock, but it wouldn't hurt to get a pick in at least once every 3 days :thumbsup:

Was thinking a 12 hour clock to kick in after the next pick....hope 12 hours don't go by without a pick from here on out though. Not really patient, but I myself did not have internet access pretty much from Friday afternoon till Sunday afternoon.

Running out of hope for hellothere, so I'm gonna ask for anybody to suggest 2 players for Houston's pick. The first player that is mentioned 3 times I'll use for their pick...as long as hello doesn't show up in the next hour or so.

My bad YoStevo, I see the posts that I was referring to weren't from you, rather from that Throttlers guy...I apologize.

No worries. I actually agree with the naysayers on Moreno but I just wanted to point out that Throttler's top 10 idea isn't that far out in left field where it's "crazy" as listen2me proclaimed.

If you watch enough of these drafts, you realize that 32 different NFL teams have 32 different draft boards and the draft rarely goes as anticipated. That's what makes if fun. I do think Throttler pointed out a few teams that could roll with Moreno early although I wouldn't. Jax might be a fit. :nono:

Running out of hope for hellothere, so I'm gonna ask for anybody to suggest 2 players for Houston's pick. The first player that is mentioned 3 times I'll use for their pick...as long as hello doesn't show up in the next hour or so.

Clay Mathews

Beanie Wells

Brian Cushing

Vontae Davis

Clay will be the pick assuming Hello doesn't show in the next 28 minutes. :unsure:

Clay Matthews

Percy Harvin :unsure:

Not jumping on your pick again...haha

Harvin was slated to go mid 1st a while back. I have heard new reports that he is out of the 1st round now. I guess he brought his "possy" to the combine and they all went out on the town at night and what not. He had a run in with Mary Jane back in college I believe? Teams are just raising question flags about him.

Not jumping on your pick again...haha

Harvin was slated to go mid 1st a while back. I have heard new reports that he is out of the 1st round now. I guess he brought his "possy" to the combine and they all went out on the town at night and what not. He had a run in with Mary Jane back in college I believe? Teams are just raising question flags about him.

OK. Apparently you've forgotten more info about this draft than I'll ever take in. If Harvin drops to the 2nd someone's getting good value on an explosive player. Harvin could add so much to an already explosive offense in Houston.

What I don't get is, you mention red flags about Harvin but then add manufactured athlete Cushing. That guy's so roided up it's ridiculous. I wouldn't touch him in the 1st round.

Report: Harvin’s Stock Dropping

A series of rumors surrounding versatile University of Florida wide receiver Percy Harvin may have damaged his NFL draft stock, according to Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post.

In the wake of an unconfirmed report that Harvin allegedly tested positive for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine, Harvin’s camp hasn’t issued a denial. Harvin also reportedly scored a 12 on the Wonderlic test.

“He’s as talented as anyone in the draft this year,” said Gil Brandt, a former Dallas Cowboys executive who writes about the draft for NFL.com. “But he has those off-field problems, and that’s going to knock him down a little bit.”

During a recent Pro Football Weekly poll of NFL executives, Harvin was voted unanimously as a risky potential selection. The report cited concerns about Harvin’s ”coachability, a posse of hangers-on, his lack of respect for authority, and drug usage.”

It’s unclear how much these issues will hurt Harvin’s chances at this point.

Harvin scored 32 career touchdowns for the Gators and has outstanding speed and moves. However, NFL teams will weigh any potential character issues before making a final determination.

“Clear and void of those things, he’s a first-round pick,” SI.com draft analyst Tony Pauline said. “But a guy like that, those things could hurt a lot. It could knock him out of the first round.”

Brandt offered up a potential conspiracy theory, theorizing that it’s always possible that another receiver’s agent could be floating rumors to hurt Harvin. He didn’t make any direct accusations, though.

“If you move up from the 12th spot to the ninth spot, there might be $3 million involved,” Brandt said. “How did someone find out about Harvin? Did Kenny Britt’s agent do this? Did [Darrius] Heyward-Bey’s? You just don’t know.”

Harvin and his agent weren’t quoted in the article, which stated that they didn’t return telephone calls seeking comment.

pft.com

OK. Apparently you've forgotten more info about this draft than I'll ever take in. If Harvin drops to the 2nd someone's getting good value on an explosive player. Harvin could add so much to an already explosive offense in Houston.

What I don't get is, you mention red flags about Harvin but then add manufactured athlete Cushing. That guy's so roided up it's ridiculous. I wouldn't touch him in the 1st round.

Cushing at least has a head on his shoulders and does not get in trouble. Check the Wonderlic scores and brushes with the law for each. Harvin has talent, but he could definitely be one of those guys who is a head case.

Cushing at least has a head on his shoulders and does not get in trouble. Check the Wonderlic scores and brushes with the law for each. Harvin has talent, but he could definitely be one of those guys who is a head case.

Like I mentioned, apparently I'm not as up on the news as some of you others. Scratch out Harvin and put in Maclin then, or is his posse making trouble too?

You can have Cushing. Watch for tons of injuries because his God given body was not up to par with the other guys in the NFL so he's using pharmiceuticals to try and catch up. It doesn't work that way.

Like I mentioned, apparently I'm not as up on the news as some of you others. Scratch out Harvin and put in Maclin then, or is his posse making trouble too?

You can have Cushing. Watch for tons of injuries because his God given body was not up to par with the other guys in the NFL so he's using pharmiceuticals to try and catch up. It doesn't work that way.

I'm not a big Cushing guy either. I think he is a player that could thrive in the right system or just be a bust. Not really sure I guess. When I offer an opinion for other teams that need a pick, I just choose the most likely or sensible, so I really don't put my own "stamp" or I don't choose a player I personally like for another team.

Let it be written:

Houston selects Clay Matthews LB USC

Let it be done.

im 1 pick away but will be out for a majority of the afternoon. If SD picks in the next hour ill make mine. If not you'll have to wait until this evening.

I'm not a big Cushing guy either. I think he is a player that could thrive in the right system or just be a bust. Not really sure I guess. When I offer an opinion for other teams that need a pick, I just choose the most likely or sensible, so I really don't put my own "stamp" or I don't choose a player I personally like for another team.

The draft doesn't always go that way. Many of the best teams in the NFL do not draft for need, especially in the 1st round.

The draft doesn't always go that way. Many of the best teams in the NFL do not draft for need, especially in the 1st round.

Better to pick for a somewhat need mixed in with skill than trying to guess who a certain team likes or thinks is good. With my pick for the Bills I will go with who I would choose as a GM. For other teams needing an opinion I will look at the majority of Mocks I have seen and go with 2 sensible players.

mocks are generally based on need. As Listen2me said, its harder to predict the guys the NFL GM's just plain like than it is to take into consideration that teams needs.

basically a combo of need and draft stock is what I use.

He actually isn't on steroids, one of my friends at college played football with Cushing in high school and still maintains close contact with him...the dude is clean. There were some rumors that came out he and a few others tested positive at the combine, but Cushing, his agent, and the others named were cleared of it by the NFL stating that they had not tested positive for anything.

He actually isn't on steroids, one of my friends at college played football with Cushing in high school and still maintains close contact with him...the dude is clean. There were some rumors that came out he and a few others tested positive at the combine, but Cushing, his agent, and the others named were cleared of it by the NFL stating that they had not tested positive for anything.

You're right......he's completely clean.

:mad:

You're right......he's completely clean.

:mad:

LOLOL what a great, reliable source. You type Brian Cushing + steroids into google images.

If you think that first pic is of him you are ridiculous. As a freshman at USC he was a starting outside linebacker at approx. 230 lbs and was jacked.

LOLOL what a great, reliable source. You type Brian Cushing + steroids into google images.

If you think that first pic is of him you are ridiculous. As a freshman at USC he was a starting outside linebacker at approx. 230 lbs and was jacked.

Yeah....I did google Cushing/roids and a whole bunch of websites popped up.

Why am I ridiculous for believing that's Cushing in the 1st pic? At the bottom of the pic it reads "uscfootball.com". Why don't you proove that it's not him. Find us a pic of him all yoked up in his freshman year.

Yeah....I did google Cushing/roids and a whole bunch of websites popped up.

Why am I ridiculous for believing that's Cushing in the 1st pic? At the bottom of the pic it reads "uscfootball.com". Why don't you proove that it's not him. Find us a pic of him all yoked up in his freshman year.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...v%3D2%26hl%3Den

I don;t think that pic of him is from fresh. year, but read the article...

"Brian Cushing was born on January 24, 1987 in Park Ridge, a town in Bergen County, NJ.. He dominated the County sports scene, playing basketball, baseball and football. In high school, he decided to focus on football after his freshman year.

He hit the weight room hard and came back a much bigger player his sophomore year. The change was so dramatic, there have been many whispers of steroid use from those that don't know him. Speak to anyone close to him, and they will emphatically defend him as an honest and incredibly self-motivated kid that would never cheat."

That is in high school - referring to him hitting the weight room hard in high school and becoming jacked. You fall under the "those that don't know him" heading....While my roommate falls under the "anyone close to him" heading...

You have nothing but speculation, just because a guy is huge doesn't mean he took steroids. If that were true, there wouldnt be an NFL

Not that I'm overly pessimistic, but I think we should get a consensus for the San Diego pick in case 9-route doesn't show up in time. The guy can be really busy at times, and hasn't been through these parts other than to say he'd make the selection for the Chargers.

I think there's really only two players worth considering here: Knowshon Moreno and Tyson Jackson.

I'm not that in touch with San Diego's roster, and their draft needs but I think Jackson makes more sense here given the loss of Olshansky. Would they be able to find another comparable talent in the second or third rounds to address D-line needs? :doublethumbsup:

Would they think about drafting Davis or Butler here? Or one of the O-linemen still available?

Given what's transpired so far in this mock, I'd say Jackson is a slam dunk.

Not that I'm overly pessimistic, but I think we should get a consensus for the San Diego pick in case 9-route doesn't show up in time. The guy can be really busy at times, and hasn't been through these parts other than to say he'd make the selection for the Chargers.

I think there's really only two players worth considering here: Knowshon Moreno and Tyson Jackson.

I'm not that in touch with San Diego's roster, and their draft needs but I think Jackson makes more sense here given the loss of Olshansky. Would they be able to find another comparable talent in the second or third rounds to address D-line needs? :doublethumbsup:

Would they think about drafting Davis or Butler here? Or one of the O-linemen still available?

Moreno wouldn't make much sense since the Chargers don't need a RB; they kept BOTH LT and D. Sproles this off-season. The only thing I've heard is they are looking to add a passrusher/hybrid 3-4 type LB...

Everyone should slow down. The 12 hour rule is in effect, it has been what? 5 hours? It took us 2 seconds to come up with a pick last time.

That said Rey Maualuga. But we shouldn't be throwing out all these names before we even give people a chance to get home from work.

They have 2 RBs.

Jackson is a possibility I think. They have good CBs. Jammer and Cromartie and they just drafted Cason last year.

Moreno wouldn't make much sense since the Chargers don't need a RB; they kept BOTH LT and D. Sproles this off-season. The only thing I've heard is they are looking to add a passrusher/hybrid 3-4 type LB...

Why?

They have 2 of the better 3-4 OLBs in the league...Phillips and Merriman. They are young too.

Everyone should slow down. The 12 hour rule is in effect, it has been what? 5 hours? It took us 2 seconds to come up with a pick last time.

I agree, and I probably shouldn't have jumped the gun, but I just finished the GM Scratch draft with 9-Route and know he has been extremely busy lately. And he's not been on since April 8th, and only posted once here to announce he was interested in selecting for the Chargers. He could still show up later this evening, but in case he doesn't I thought it would be a good idea for enough folks to be aware of the possibility. The clock expires in 7 hours. Not a lot of folks will be here then.

Hopefully he does show up, and I trust him to make the best selection regardless of what's being discussed about his pick.

altho I agree its getting ahead of ourselves the two options to me are Maualuga and Tyson Jackson.

If that's the case we'll give him till 8 pm EST and then go with one of the names mentioned the most in the last few posts.

Maualuga and Tyson Jackson... but I could also see them going with Maclin at this point.

Have to agree with Maualuga or Jackson. They could use o-line help, but I don't see an impact player the caliber of these two with this pick.

Flipped a coin on the two names mentioned the most:

SD 1.16 Rey Maualuga LB USC

How many teams is Chronic Husker picking for? Haha. Alias!

He is picking for KC, he picked the Jets pick, but called himself "The Broncos"

:mellow:

heh yeah i thought i was being skipped over for being an hour late...

if that other guy got 3 days wtf