Sign in to follow this  
nlgb1

Kyle Orton

i kinda think im crazy for thinking this, but logically it kinda makes sense. coming from a run first team where even if the run wasnt working, it would be forced anyway, he goes to a team with brandon marshall, eddie royal, and the coach that engineered brady's 50 td season. coming off an 18td 12int season in chicago, it only makes sense that he goes up from there. is 25td 17int out of the question?

The Bears, who ought to know, think that the talent difference between Cutler and Orton is about two first-round draft choices. Unless Chris Simms looks like a significant upgrade, I am guessing that Denver will move to acquire another QB.

well apparently the bears have no idea, considering theyve had 85 different starting qbs in the last 15 years

i kinda think im crazy for thinking this, but logically it kinda makes sense. coming from a run first team where even if the run wasnt working, it would be forced anyway, he goes to a team with brandon marshall, eddie royal, and the coach that engineered brady's 50 td season. coming off an 18td 12int season in chicago, it only makes sense that he goes up from there. is 25td 17int out of the question?

I'm not sure he's worth Orton + 2 first round picks. I think he's just worth 2 first round picks and the bears dumped Orton because they dont want to pay the additional salary.

The reality is that if Orton wins the starting job, I believe he will do okay. Certainly better than he did in Chicago.

but I do not expect a Big Season.

It is always a lot easier for a QB to have a good TD/INT ratio when you know that if your drive stalls the defense will hold(as was the case in Chicago). Orton wont have this luxury in Denver. The broncos defense is terrible and he will end up forcing some throws that he wouldnt have considered in Chicago. I expect slightly more yards (300-500) passing than last year. I know you are expecting more, but remember that the Broncos defense sucks and the offense will spend a lot more time sitting than it did in Chicago. And the TD/INT will be more like 19/21.

That's my prediction.

I'm not sure he's worth Orton + 2 first round picks. I think he's just worth 2 first round picks and the bears dumped Orton because they dont want to pay the additional salary.

The reality is that if Orton wins the starting job, I believe he will do okay. Certainly better than he did in Chicago.

but I do not expect a Big Season.

It is always a lot easier for a QB to have a good TD/INT ratio when you know that if your drive stalls the defense will hold(as was the case in Chicago). Orton wont have this luxury in Denver. The broncos defense is terrible and he will end up forcing some throws that he wouldnt have considered in Chicago. I expect slightly more yards (300-500) passing than last year. I know you are expecting more, but remember that the Broncos defense sucks and the offense will spend a lot more time sitting than it did in Chicago. And the TD/INT will be more like 19/21.

That's my prediction.

i think you are vastly overrating last years bears defense

That's my prediction.

Here i was thinking that the bears defense was below average.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...mp;d-447263-n=1

Orton went from a bottom 5 offensive line to a top 3 offensive line.

Orton went from having no WR's to having a top 5 receiving corp.

I think that Orton has a good shot of finishing in the 6-10 range, and an outside shot of even finishing higher than that.

I'm not going to bank my ff season on it.

I think that Orton has a good shot of finishing in the 6-10 range, and an outside shot of even finishing higher than that.

He has to win the starting job first.

kyle orton is a better quarterback than jay cutler.

dont care if i get blasted for saying it

jay cutler and eli manning = two most overrated quarterbacks in the last 20 years

I too think he will do well this year.

He had a great year going when he got hurt last year. :doublethumbsup:

jay cutler and eli manning = two most overrated quarterbacks in the last 20 years

You're right about Eli. But you're way off on Cutler. He's the only reason the Broncos were competitive.

Kyle Orton is the new Jake Delhomme.

He looks like he should be Top 10. He feels like he should be Top 10. You wait on a QB because you know you can get him middle rounds. You draft him and feel good about it. By week 6 you are looking for a QB on the waiver wire.

Rinse. Repeat.

anything is possible?

is it probable? why would it be?

how many games is Brandon Marshall going to miss? How do we know Orton can stretch the field and take advantage of Marshall and Royal? How do we know Orton can be a gun slinger like Cutler HAD to be?

just a hunch but Orton won't be Jay Cutler with the Broncos and Jay Cutler with the Bears wont be Jay Cutler with the Broncos.

You're way off on Cutler. He's the only reason the Broncos were competitive.

That statment is as far off as I've ever seen.

Cutler had many weapons to throw to.

I still can't stop laughing over this post.

Right, and had a great statistical season - He didn't have a DEF or a running game, you put an average QB on that team and they don't win 5 games.

He had no running game, so teams weren't dropping the safety into the box.

Sheffler was hurt half of the year.

His #2 WR was a rookie, who wasn't a first-round pick sure-fire stud.

He had a terrible D that forced to him throw a ton every game.

I hope there's an opening in my league so you can join.

Right, and had a great statistical season - He didn't have a DEF or a running game, you put an average QB on that team and they don't win 5 games.

He had no running game, so teams weren't dropping the safety into the box.

Sheffler was hurt half of the year.

His #2 WR was a rookie, who wasn't a first-round pick sure-fire stud.

He had a terrible D that forced to him throw a ton every game.

The Broncos had an above average rushing game last season. Just because they didnt have a fantasy runner, doesnt mean that they didnt have a running game.

They have a top 3 offensive line in the league, Cutler was pressured some of the least in the league, even though he dropped back more than any other QB, plus the line is great at run blocking, it made the below average backs have above average stats.

I hope there's an opening in my league so you can join.

Wow, you're real witty, and great job dissecting that post explaining why he is wrong rather than just throwing out an insult.

The Broncos had an above average rushing game last season. Just because they didnt have a fantasy runner, doesnt mean that they didnt have a running game.

They have a top 3 offensive line in the league, Cutler was pressured some of the least in the league, even though he dropped back more than any other QB, plus the line is great at run blocking, it made the below average backs have above average stats.

they were 12th in the league, so wasn't that hot altho that is partly due to the revolving door at the position. Consistancy is key.

they were 12th in the league, so wasn't that hot altho that is partly due to the revolving door at the position. Consistancy is key.

These people are claiming that they had no rushing game, 12th in the league is above average, and it is not what hurt the team.

I am sure these same people are the same ones that would argue that the Bears had a great rushing game to help Kyle Orton out. The bears stunk rushing the ball last season and they finished 24th in the league.

These people are claiming that they had no rushing game, 12th in the league is above average, and it is not what hurt the team.

I am sure these same people are the same ones that would argue that the Bears had a great rushing game to help Kyle Orton out. The bears stunk rushing the ball last season and they finished 24th in the league.

Part of the reason why the Broncos had a good rushing game was because teams focused on the pass. They had such an explosive QB and WR passing attack, that DEFs gave up some running to try and stop Cutler...

The running game helps the passing game. The passing game helps the running game. It is all symbiotic. We will not really know how Orton does until he suits up. Geez. It's like arguing which came first the chicken or the egg.

But I think it is fairly obvious that Denvers O-Line plus skill guys are equal to if not more than likely better than Chicago. Orton actually had some really good games fantasy wise last year and presented himself as a viable option. The injury hurt and he was inconsistent but he showed promise. That gives way to some optimism in Denver that he may actually be somewhat good in that position.

I wouldn't go top 10 good, but it wouldn't shock me if that is where he ended up when 2009/2010 is over. He will continue to be an enigma from now until August and debated alot IMO. A real crapshoot fantasy wise. Could be a boom or a complete bust. Kinda the way I felt about Delhomme the past 5 years.

Part of the reason why the Broncos had a good rushing game was because teams focused on the pass. They had such an explosive QB and WR passing attack, that DEFs gave up some running to try and stop Cutler...

there is some truth in that but the Broncos still had a decent running attack. I agree with MtSki that some people are just assuming they had no running game when really that wasn't the case. They simply had no fantasy RB.

However I disagree that Orton can be a 6-10 range QB because of the situation he comes into. You can't just throw anybody into a better situation and expect they will be better.. Is there cause for optimism? sure. But I wouldn't call the Broncos a top 5 receiving group especially with Marshalls troubles. I also think the type of QB Cutler was benefited the Broncos WR's and their speed.

What are you guys smoking?

I watched every game last year and he can't throw an accurate pass over 15 yards and he won't even come close to overthrowing an Eddie Royal. Royal's talents will be wasted with Orton throwing the ball. The best thing you can hope for is that he doesn't fumble when he hands the ball off to Moreno.

Wow, you're real witty, and great job dissecting that post explaining why he is wrong rather than just throwing out an insult.

Why would I need to dissect it? It's a pretty stupid statement to say Orton will be top-10 and that Cutler would be worse. It ranks up there with Tommy Maddox will throw for 5,000 yds.

I've watched every game Orton has played. The guy is okay, would be a good QB2 or spot starter this year, but nothing more. People got too caught up in looking at the stats from last year without looking at their talent. There's a reason most of the Bears fans and media are ecstatic for the trade. Orton couldn't really throw the ball--he just managed the game and tried not to turn over the ball. Defenders didn't stack eight in the box against Cutler unlike they did against Forte, which is why the Bears' rushing wasn't good and Orton's passing sucked.

Bottom line is that Orton will improve and Cutler might have a step down, however no way Orton will be better than Cutler and be a top 10 QB. That's almost Tommy Maddox material.

I watched every game last year and he can't throw an accurate pass over 15 yards and he won't even come close to overthrowing an Eddie Royal. Royal's talents will be wasted with Orton throwing the ball. The best thing you can hope for is that he doesn't fumble when he hands the ball off to Moreno.

Oh come one now. :shocking:

I'm not gonna defend the Orton > Cutler statement because that is crazy talk. Cutlers skill set as a QB dwarfs that of Orton.

However to say Orton cannot excel in the right situation is just as much of a dumb statement. If you watched every game then you saw how well he played from week 3 to when he got hurt in like week 9. He prolly averaged 260 3td and 1int during that stretch. That is a sign that he can get the job done. It can't be discounted.

Yeah he doesn't have a strong arm. Neither does Chad Pennington who finished 9th in my league in fantasy points at the QB position. Orton can have the same type of year in Denver as Pennington did last year. Will it happen? Who knows, but it is not a reach to think so.

The same Eddie Royal that caught 90% of his passes < 7 yards off the line of scrimmage?

In the Josh McDaniels' offense?

Where he will be playing the Welker position?

His numbers will be BETTER this year...

The same Eddie Royal that caught 90% of his passes < 7 yards off the line of scrimmage?

In the Josh McDaniels' offense?

Where he will be playing the Welker position?

His numbers will be BETTER this year...

BAM! :doublethumbsup:

i think you are vastly overrating last years bears defense

I never said the defense was awesome. I'm just saying it was adequate overall.

what I am really saying is that denver's defense was incredibly horrible. I'm not entirely convinced they weren't the worst defense in the NFL last year.

some of the leads I saw that team blow were amazing. They got the lead with their good offense, and couldnt keep it late in the game when their defense couldnt stop anything.

I cant really see this improving in the near future.

Why would I need to dissect it? It's a pretty stupid statement to say Orton will be top-10 and that Cutler would be worse. It ranks up there with Tommy Maddox will throw for 5,000 yds.

I've watched every game Orton has played. The guy is okay, would be a good QB2 or spot starter this year, but nothing more. People got too caught up in looking at the stats from last year without looking at their talent. There's a reason most of the Bears fans and media are ecstatic for the trade. Orton couldn't really throw the ball--he just managed the game and tried not to turn over the ball. Defenders didn't stack eight in the box against Cutler unlike they did against Forte, which is why the Bears' rushing wasn't good and Orton's passing sucked.

Bottom line is that Orton will improve and Cutler might have a step down, however no way Orton will be better than Cutler and be a top 10 QB. That's almost Tommy Maddox material.

I agree. Orton is an adequate 2nd string QB in most fantasy leagues.

Cutler moves from a top end 1st string guy to a mid range 1st string guy.

all I was saying in past posts is that Orton is not a top 10 fantasy QB and that the improvement in his numbers will be modest at best.

Top 15........maybe

He has some skills....quick release, good head, & reads the field O.K....plus he certainly has some weapons now, but he is just an inaccurate/inconsistent passer down the field, bottom line.

Actually, I will be shocked to see him still starting at the halfway mark of the season.

Plus, by the time he hands off once or twice to all of their Rb's in a game.....the game will be over.

sympathy bump for karmarooster so he's not the only one taking the abuse on Orton.

:dunno:

I see you bumping Orton threads, but I don't see any posts by you in any of these threads saying he's going to suck.

watching orton last night reminded me of 2-3 seasons ago when i dreamed that alex smith was gonna breakout after watching him shred champ bailey and dre bly during preseason action. i drafted him like 10th rd as my first qb...then reality set in.

at orton took the suspense and dreaming out of it. hope most drafts were not before last night.... :unsure: :thumbsdown: :shocking: