Sign in to follow this  
unckeyherb

Stallworth kills a guy...

I'd imagine the league will come down pretty hard. They're trying desperately to woo the Messicans. *

This occured at 7 a.m.?? How late are the bars open there?

*to root for anyone else but the Raiders and Cowboys.

I'd imagine the league will come down pretty hard. They're trying desperately to woo the Messicans. *

This occured at 7 a.m.?? How late are the bars open there?

*to root for anyone else but the Raiders and Cowboys.

he apparently was a friends house until that time because he was too drunk to drive before that...then left around that time. that's what i heard on the radio this morning. but holyfock, 30 days for running down a dude while you're still stewed at 7:00 am???? how long would any of us be spending in the pokey if we were that guy??? i hope the NFL suspends him for 5 years...focker.

Just think of how many ex wives would get run over if this was the norm :wacko:

before i opened this thread, i was going to say...did leonard little serve ANY time?

seemed like he killed someone and the next day was on the field

big harm no foul

not sure of the details, BUT i heard the guy came out of nowhere. it's not like he was in cross walk. was he legally drunk?

i'd like to know the details before send him to the firing squad. anyway you slice it, it's a bad situation.

Let's at least be accurate on this one... It was 30 days in prison AND.....

He also received 2 YEARS of additional house arrest, and 1000 hours of community service, and 8 YEARS probation, and he lost his drivers license for LIFE, and had to pay a 4-5 million dollar payment to the family... and finally he also had to pay money to M.A.D.D, and other drunk driving causes... That's a lot of and's, besides 30 days in prison... MB

ps. Locked in your own house for 2 years can't fun IMO...

He also received 2 YEARS of additional house arrest, and 1000 hours of community service, and 10 YEARS probation, and he lost his drivers license for LIFE, and had to pay a 4-5 million dollar payment to the family... and finally he also had to pay money to M.A.D.D, and other drunk driving causes... That's a lot of and's, besides 30 days in prison... MB

Being dead ain't too fun either. House arrest, yeah probably brutal for a multi-millionare.

It's still better than having Bubba make you his biotch for the next ten years. <_<

Oh, and I could give a fock how much money it is costing him. :shocking:

He also received 2 YEARS of additional house arrest, and 1000 hours of community service, and 8 YEARS probation, and he lost his drivers license for LIFE, and had to pay a 4-5 million dollar payment to the family... and finally he also had to pay money to M.A.D.D, and other drunk driving causes... That's a lot of and's, besides 30 days in prison... MB

Actually it will be 24 days in prison, plus one day 'time served'. Plus, there is no chance in hell that he will be confined to his home...the odds of that being even marginally enforced are slim to none.

As for Little, he received a whopping 90 days in jail. He then proceeded to drive after drinking AGAIN in 2004, but managed to get acquitted of felony charges on that arrest. :shocking:

Good thing he didn't hit a dog. ~ Michael Vick

I was just about to post this. :doublethumbsup: Our legal/value system is :wacko:

A person is dead and :crickets:

A couple dogs die in dogfighting and the person should be banned from the NFL and hung by his testicles for years.

I was just about to post this. :doublethumbsup: Our legal/value system is :wacko:

A couple dogs die in dogfighting and the person should be banned from the NFL and hung by his testicles for years.

Plaxico will probably do more time for shooting himself. :wacko:

Blame the victim's family. They're the one's that accepted the plea agreement with an 'undisclosed financial settlement'. You bet your ass that's the first thing Stallworth said...'how much can I pay them?'.

Blame the victim's family. They're the one's that accepted the plea agreement with an 'undisclosed financial settlement'. You bet your ass that's the first thing Stallworth said...'how much can I pay them?'.

The DA didn't have to accept it.

Ray Lewis killed atleast one and we idolize his a$$! :doublethumbsup:

You better check you facts on this one. Ray Lewis never killed anyone but the legend grows.

You better check you facts on this one. Ray Lewis never killed anyone but the legend grows.

Yeah, his posse did the dirty work...then after he got charged with obstruction of justice in a DOUBLE MURDER case, he decided to snitch on his boys.

What Stallworth got is actually not that uncommon for a first-time offender. The only difference is that, since he's rich and has really good lawyers, he gets to do two years on house arrest instead of in prison. I know it seems completely bizarre, but manslaughter is surprisingly low on the list as far as felony penalties go.

I think the part that Vick got nailed on was not the actual dogfighting, but the running-an-illegal-gambling-ring-across-state-lines stuff. It's still a little weird and the dog murdering is definitely what he went down for in the public eye, but it's not really a strict dog lives vs. human lives calculus given the charges.

What Stallworth got is actually not that uncommon for a first-time offender. The only difference is that, since he's rich and has really good lawyers, he gets to do two years on house arrest instead of in prison. I know it seems completely bizarre, but manslaughter is surprisingly low on the list as far as felony penalties go.

I think the part that Vick got nailed on was not the actual dogfighting, but the running-an-illegal-gambling-ring-across-state-lines stuff. It's still a little weird and the dog murdering is definitely what he went down for in the public eye, but it's not really a strict dog lives vs. human lives calculus given the charges.

I don't think anyone is disputing 'who got what' according to the law.

It's the fact that the 'law' can be interpreted by DA's and others as so much dependent on public outrcry. Vick didn't have to have the book thrown at him. And the DA didn't have to accept Stallworths plea bargin. But because for some reason dogfighting was such an lightingrod at the time and the public was going apeshit Vick had to do two plus in jail. Stallworth? :crickets:

The law can be procesucted and interpreted different ways. The way it was procescuted and interpreted in these two cases in contrast is what is so funny. And sad.

I don't think anyone is disputing who got what according to the law.

It's the fact that the 'law' can be interpreted by DA's and such as much dependent on public outrcry. Vick didn't have to have the book thrown at him. And the DA didn't have to accept Stallworths plea bargin. But because for some reason dogfighting was such an lightenrod at the time and the public was going apeshit Vick had to do two plus in jail. Stallworth? :crickets:

The law can be procesucted and interpreted different ways. The way it was procescuted and iterpreted in these two cases in contrast is what is so funny. And sad.

:dunno:

Of course, he gets to travel for games, go to work, workouts, etc.. - I'm guessing it's like Bernie Maddog got - more like a curfew than house arrest. Home by 10 kind of thing, but I haven't seen the details.

Yep, this guy will live in a mansion, throw great parties and get to travel more than anyone on this board. None to worried about his plight.

You really can't compare to different cases that are completely different. However as eluded to above, the public outcry against Vick vs. the DA and family of the man ran over and killed by Stallworth accepting a deal, had a lot to do with sentencing. I also think if running a dog-fighting ring was as prevelent as driving drunk, and driving drunk was as uncommon as running a dog-fighting ring; in addition to the fact that most people can relate to the possibility of driving drunk but not harming a dog especially if they are a dog owner (if that wasn't true), then the sentences may have been closer to each other or even reversed.

Clear you mind and pretend you just awoke from a 3 year coma and I asked you this question.

1. Person A was part of a dogfighting group where dogs fought for gambling purposes and a few dogs died.

2. Person B was driving drunk and hit a person who died as a reslut of the injuries.

A. 30 days in Jail plus probation

B. 2+ years in Jail plus probation

Please match the alpha with the numeric in this scenario based on common sense and your values / moral compass.

I would choose: C. I just got up out of a coma; could you just get me a beer and some gummi worms instead of asking all these difficult questions? :music_guitarred:

Well its obviously a racial thing... Vick gets 2 years and Stallworth a month.. oh wait.... that doesn't apply.

Comparisons to Lewis are meaningless. He wasn't convicted of murder or manslaughter.

Little's situation is a good comparison though and the sentences etc are similar.

The big lesson here is that the laws apply to everyone but quality of representation and ability to pay settlements etc DO weigh heavily. The big difference between the cases of Stallworth and Vick is in how they were handled. Stallworth took responsibility from the get go, didn't try to play stupid, didn't try to play games with the situation etc. Vicks case wouldn't have been so bad if he had handled it straight from the beginning. He received bad advice and paid for it in the end.

As to the point about the family and the DA. The family is getting what they can out of it and what they are entitled to, good for them. If they have no issue with the outcome, the DA isn't going to push the issue as far as they can. Most DA's take the victims families into consideration a great deal in cases like this. Their main concern is a conviction and seeing that justice is done to the families and the public in general.

Stallworth didn't get off easy, this cost him personally and financially now and into the future. It will be interesting to see how he handles this, if he goes the way of Little or learns from it and changes the lifestyle.

not to downplay this, but the reality is that Stallworth could have been driving to church that morning on the same road at the same time NOT drunk and still killed the guy. The dude crossed something akin to a freeway in dim lighting in an area where people don't cross the road. This wasn't like driving downtown and people don't cross in the crosswalks. Had he not been drinking Stallworth likely wouldn't have even been ticketed. That doesn't change the fact that Donte was illegally operating a vehicle while under the influence, but the dude that crossed the road was guilty of a violation and therefore shares some of the culpability. It could be argued that in a state of being that wasn't influenced by alcohol and the delayed reactions that result from it that Stallworth possibly could have avoided hitting the guy, but again, it comes down somewhat to wrong place wrong time.

Ok, next. The DA doesn't have to have the family's permission to go ahead with a trial. DA's prosecute based on the merits of the case. Too many people have the whole rape victim not testifying against her attacker thing going in their head. This isn't a case of it being one person's word versus anothers, the facts of case and Stallworth's admission of those facts establish that he had been drinking, he hit the dude, and the dude died. Dude's family really has nothing to do with it other than rattling the DA's chain unless they were witnesses to the accident. Donte's agreement with them was to prevent a Civil suit via direct compensation agreement.

Please don't take it the wrong way, I completely agree with the idea that killing a guy should necessitate more than just 30 days in jail. However, people need to ask themselves if whatever alcohol he still had in his system was the direct cause of the accident, or just a factor in it, and possibly less of a factor than a dude that crossed a high speed roadway in atypical place in dim lighting? If Donte hadn't been drinking and had run the dude down, you'd all be making jokes about the dead guy.

Lastly, as far as his punishment goes (aside from the 24 days in jail). He can never drive again...not entirely true (he can petition the court for a hardship in 5 years to be reinstated as a driver, which is likely). House arrest...that doesn't necessarily mean you are confined to your house for two straight years. 1000 hours of community service is a joke, as is 8 years probation. His lawyers are very good, cause that's a joke of a penalty for taking a life.

Please don't take it the wrong way, I completely agree with the idea that killing a guy should necessitate more than just 30 days in jail. However, people need to ask themselves if whatever alcohol he still had in his system was the direct cause of the accident, or just a factor in it, and possibly less of a factor than a dude that crossed a high speed roadway in atypical place in dim lighting?

I understand what you're saying, but I disagree on two counts:

ONE:

Anybody else - you get rear-ended by some idiot texting and eating while driving - and you've had 4-5 beers. - You're nailed for DUI. It's not fair. Your alcohol consumption had nothing to do with the accident, but that's the law. And it happens thousands of times a day. If some kid runs out into the street and I've been drinking, I'd be buried under the jail. (anyone without money would).

The consideration you're talking about simply does not happen in today's MADD-driven hypersensitive, shoot first legal system when it comes to DUI. And that's what's jacked up here. Money talks. - Not that this is the first time an athlete's money has bought 'justice'.

TWO:

Stallworth admits seeing the guy - even flashing his friggin brights at the guy. He saw him. If he had time to flash his brights, he had time to stop. I'm gonna wager a sober guy hits the brakes on a deserted road - not flashes his brights @ the victim. His BAC is reported to be .12.

The headline reads: “Stallworth to serve 30 days for DUI manslaughter” and some may find that to be a miscarriage of justice. While Stallworth certainly could have received a heftier punishment, his sentence is not only fair, it’s well-earned.

Unlike prior big-name athletes who have had brushes with the law, Donte Stallworth made his case for a lighter sentence by his sincerity, acceptance of responsibility, and his maturity, which unfortunately came too late for a Miami man.

As many know, On March 13, Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth enjoyed a night of drinking at the hotel bar in Miami Beach's Fountainebleau hotel, to celebrate the earning of a $4.5 million roster bonus. The next morning, he left the party, climbed into his Bentley, and headed to the causeway.

Meanwhile, a 59-year-old construction worker named Mario Reyes, clocked out of his job as a crane operator at around 7:00am. He headed to the bus stop which is just a short walk from the office. Moments later, his coworkers heard the impact of Stallworth’s car slamming into Reyes. An investigation report showed that Reyes had not used the crosswalk and apparantly had not waited for the light to turn red.

He died shortly after the accident, leaving a wife and 15-year-old daughter.

At the scene, Stallworth submitted to sobriety tests (which registered a .112 BAC) and was visibly shaken. From the outset, Stallworth expressed remorse. Today, he accepted responsibility by pleading guilty.

From a “legal” and tactical point of view, Stallworth had options. He could have moved to dismiss the breathalyzer results or to suppress any statements he made. He could have argued that Reyes was being careless and should not have run out into the street. He could have simply ignored everything and let a team of high-priced lawyers drag out the case until everyone involved was too tired to move forward.

That’s what Michael Vick would have done. Ditto for Pacman Jones. Ray Lewis would have figured out a way to get out of this. Not Donte’ Stallworth.

Instead, Stallworth said: “I accept full responsibility for this horrible tragedy. I will bear this burden for the rest of my life.”

With the Reyes family in agreement, and after the two sides reached a confidential settlement to avoid a lawsuit, the judge sentenced Stallworth to the 30 days in jail. But the sentence doesn’t end there.

After his release from jail, Stallworth will serve two years of house arrest, followed by eight years of probation. He will undergo drug and alcohol testing. Stallworth will have a lifetime driver’s license suspension. He has been orderd to perform 1,000 hours of community service. In short, he will be paying for his mistake for a long time. The NFL may have something to say as well.

But it could have been worse.

Instead of languishing in prison for years, the receiver will be able to continue his career, and ultimately his life. And while the tragedy is that Mario Reyes cannot do the same, Donte’ Stallworth, by acting like a man -- as opposed to a pampered, self-indulgant child as most star-athletes are wont to do -- has earned the right to be given this break.http://www.examiner.com/x-948-Miami-Law--Politics-Examiner~y2009m6d16-Thirty-days-for-manslaughter-is-right-all-things-considered

The DA doesn't have to accept and the judge doesn't either(at least in Pa.)

Stallworth owned up, took responsibility and has the cash to back it.

the fervent wish by the victim's family to put the matter behind them.

Stallworth, 28, also reached a confidential financial settlement with the family of 59-year-old Mario Reyes,

The Fervent wish just says it all. Money talks.

The DA doesn't have to accept and the judge doesn't either(at least in Pa.)

Stallworth owned up, took responsibility and has the cash to back it.

The Fervent wish just says it all. Money talks.

There is a 15 year old girl with out a father now... The victim's family wanted to be sure she was provided for, for the rest of her lifetime... Donte wrote that check, and he got off light... His admittance of the crime and his owning up to the crime helped his cause as well... His lawyer is no dummy either... Case closed... Literally... MB

A couple of dogs? WTF are you talking about?

Of course Stallworth and Leonard Little got off way too easy for DUI manslaughter and imo, they should both be banned from the league for life as a deterrence to other players from driving drunk, but that doesn't mean you should be defending Michael Vick here and making misstatements of the FACTS of the Vick case.

Please go do a little research on the case before you go defending Vick.

It's a reasonable estimate to assume Vick and his loser friends killed upwards of 100 dogs. The police found dozens of dog corpses buried on the property and suspect there are more mass graves in the woods around that house.

Again, READ ABOUT THE VICK CASE before you make misstatements like that.

In case you're too lazy, let me fill you in...

When facing a lie detector test, Vick recanted testimony that he didn't personally kill dogs by fighting them, by drowning them by shoving their heads in buckets of water, by slamming them into the ground, by hanging them from trees, by electrocuting them and by shooting them. That means that he did ADMIT to the court that he did all those gruesome deeds PERSONALLY. He gave this testimony of his gruesome crimes of animal cruelty because he was faced with multiple witnesses who saw him do these things.

Also, did you know that besides the Pit Bulls, Vick and his piece of sh*t crew were picking up strays from the pound and using them to train the Pits? There were about a dozen Beagles and other mixed breeds on the premises during the raid. These non-Pits were thrown to the Pits for "warm up" fights - very nice foster parent Vick was for these strays - wouldn't you say?

Anyway, the NFL is an elite league. It means instant fame and fortune for most of its players and a cushy pension for life. The NFL doesn't need pieces of crap like Michael Vick and Vick should indeed be banned for life.

Did Stallworth get off ridiculously easy? Yes.

Does that help the dogs who were tortured and killed by Michael Vick? Absolutely not!

A couple of dogs? WTF are you talking about?

Of course Stallworth and Leonard Little got off way too easy for DUI manslaughter and imo, they should both be banned from the league for life as a deterrence to other players from driving drunk, but that doesn't mean you should be defending Michael Vick here and making misstatements of the FACTS of the Vick case.

Please go do a little research on the case before you go defending Vick.

It's a reasonable estimate to assume Vick and his loser friends killed upwards of 100 dogs. The police found dozens of dog corpses buried on the property and suspect there are more mass graves in the woods around that house.

Again, READ ABOUT THE VICK CASE before you make misstatements like that.

In case you're too lazy, let me fill you in...

When facing a lie detector test, Vick recanted testimony that he didn't personally kill dogs by fighting them, by drowning them, by shoving their heads in buckets, by slamming them into the ground, by hanging them from trees, by electrocuting them and by shooting them. That means that he did ADMIT to the court that he did all those gruesome deeds PERSONALLY.

Also, did you know that besides the Pit Bulls, Vick and his piece of sh*t crew were also picking up strays from the pound and using them to train the Pits. There were about a dozen Beagles and other mixed breeds on the premises during the raid. These non-Pits were thrown to the Pits for "warm up" fights - very nice foster parent Vick was for these strays - wouldn't you say?

Anyway, the NFL is an elite league. It means instant fame and fortune for most of its players and a cushy pension for life.

The NFL doesn't need pieces of crap like Michael Vick and Vick should indeed be banned for life.

Did Stallworth get off ridiculously easy? Yes.

Does that have anything to do with the hundreds of dogs who were tortured by Michael Vick? Absolutely not!

Babble.... Babble..... Babble.

Bottom Line: One innocent human life > A thousand dogs

You lose. I win. Case Closed.

What did you win, membership in the Michael Vick fan club? Congratulations!

The point here is not to assign a value to 1 human life vs. 1,000 dogs.

The point is that Vick is still a piece of sh*t regardless of how good Stallworth's lawyer was or how warped our justice system is.

But congratulations again on your "win". :rolleyes:

You lose because you don't get it.

You lose because you don't get it.

Get what? I understand how the law worked in each case. I understand 'why' each case ended the way they did. I just don't accept it. And I will tell you why.

There is a statue in almost every courtroom in America. It is called 'Lady Justice'. She is blindfolded to represent that the law/punishment should be meted out objectively, without fear or favor, regardless of identity, power (money), or weakness.

These two cases represent how (on each end of the spectrum) this objectivity is utter bullshit. The media and public sentiment swayed the prosecution to go after Michael Vick as hard as they did in regards to punishment. They made an example out of him because of his identity. That was wrong. And the side inwhich fame actually worked against a defendent in a case.

Stallworth was let off easy because of favor and power. This was also wrong. And the side inwhich fame actually worked for a defendent in case.

The courtroom and criminal prosecution should NOT be swayed by public sentiment or the media or money. That flies in the face of the the whole judicial system and what the statue of Lady Justice implies. But it doesn't and the sheeple like you just accept it and say: "It is what it is".

Oh, I get it alright. But I choose to think for myself as opposed to just accepting it and thinking what the media tells me to think.