Sign in to follow this  
CantTouchThis

Where does Kobe rank...

Nah... this is why the NBA is awful... Its all about Harlem Globetrotter baseketball without caring about winnning...

Funny that in terms of offenses, the only one you hear about as a SYSTEM is the triangle offense... In football we can name off dozens of offensive/defensive sets, understand 4-3 vs 3-4 vs nickle vs west coast vs run n shoot vs wishbone vs tampa 2...etc..

Basketball has ONE offense, and that offense won 6 titles in this era...

Very little organization, very little strategy.... its a really dumb sport that needs to advance strategy as much as the athleticism has advanced.

That's why it took a college B-ball coach to get our NBA stars back to gold in international play. Here's the NBA offense: everyone clear out and let our star go one on one...then maybe kick it out for a 3 after 5 guys collapse on him.

That's why it took a college B-ball coach to get our NBA stars back to gold in international play. Here's the NBA offense: everyone clear out and let our star go one on one...then maybe kick it out for a 3 after 5 guys collapse on him.

If you guys really think this, no one is forcing you to watch the NBA. It seems you don't anyways based upon comments like these.

If you guys really think this, no one is forcing you to watch the NBA. It seems you don't anyways based upon comments like these.

Are you trying to tell me that I'm wrong? Why did it take Coach K to get us back to gold? Because the NBA is nuthin but a buncha street ballin, ball hawk asswholes. All they do is drive to the basket and get bailed out by star struck officials.

ETA: You still didn't tell us where you think Kobe ranks?

Are you trying to tell me that I'm wrong? Why did it take Coach K to get us back to gold? Because the NBA is nuthin but a buncha street ballin, ball hawk asswholes. All they do is drive to the basket and get bailed out by star struck officials.

Hard to argue with.

As great as he was, this is also probably the reason MJ was the worst thing to ever happen to the league.

Yes, you're wrong. They didn't just add coach K to get us back to gold. They revamped the entire way our national team was run. Players had to commit to a 2+ year commitment to the team, play each summer in their off years unless they were given an exemption for some reason. And we still had to work our butts off to win that gold. Because the international teams have bridged the gap. Oh, and btw, it was Kobe who took the team on his back late to ensure we did win the gold. So yeah, you're wrong to suggest that it was simply the addition of coach K that brought us back to prominence.

Yes, you're wrong. They didn't just add coach K to get us back to gold. They revamped the entire way our national team was run. Players had to commit to a 2+ year commitment to the team, play each summer in their off years unless they were given an exemption for some reason. And we still had to work our butts off to win that gold. Because the international teams have bridged the gap. Oh, and btw, it was Kobe who took the team on his back late to ensure we did win the gold. So yeah, you're wrong to suggest that it was simply the addition of coach K that brought us back to prominence.

Yeah, they had to play together for 2 years and work their butts off because somebody needed to teach these guys how to play organized basketball.

Yeah, they had to play together for 2 years and work their butts off because somebody needed to teach these guys how to play organized basketball.

Uh, no. Other national teams play with each other constantly. That's why their talent inferior teams have been able to compete with ours. Throw in the fact that the international game has improved dramatically over the last 20 years and you have your answer as to why we had dropped off the map so to speak. Our guys had to commit to playing with each other for two years so they would learn how to play well together, not because they didn't know how to play organized basketball. Heck, according to you college is the place to learn that and Melo won the NCAA championship in his only year in college, and IIRC Deron Williams made it to the title game. I'm sure some of the other players had outstanding college careers as well so it's pretty ridiculous to assert that they knew how to play organized basketball in college but somehow forgot that when they went to the NBA. It's idiotic discussions like this that are the reason I don't participate in basketball discussions on this bored much anymore.

Nah... this is why the NBA is awful... Its all about Harlem Globetrotter baseketball without caring about winnning...

Funny that in terms of offenses, the only one you hear about as a SYSTEM is the triangle offense... In football we can name off dozens of offensive/defensive sets, understand 4-3 vs 3-4 vs nickle vs west coast vs run n shoot vs wishbone vs tampa 2...etc..

Basketball has ONE offense, and that offense won 6 titles in this era...

Very little organization, very little strategy.... its a really dumb sport that needs to advance strategy as much as the athleticism has advanced.

Even the Globetrotters are horrible now.

I watched about 15 minutes last weekend. What a focking joke they have turned into.

All they do is dunk.

Hard to argue with.

As great as he was, this is also probably the reason MJ was the worst thing to ever happen to the league.

:lol:

NBA went from the team concept Lakers, Celtics, Pistons to a one man show :dunno:

Uh, no. Other national teams play with each other constantly. That's why their talent inferior teams have been able to compete with ours. Throw in the fact that the international game has improved dramatically over the last 20 years and you have your answer as to why we had dropped off the map so to speak. Our guys had to commit to playing with each other for two years so they would learn how to play well together, not because they didn't know how to play organized basketball. Heck, according to you college is the place to learn that and Melo won the NCAA championship in his only year in college, and IIRC Deron Williams made it to the title game. I'm sure some of the other players had outstanding college careers as well so it's pretty ridiculous to assert that they knew how to play organized basketball in college but somehow forgot that when they went to the NBA. It's idiotic discussions like this that are the reason I don't participate in basketball discussions on this bored much anymore.

International teams could pass and all their players (including their big men) can shoot. Then know how to play fundamental basketball and that's why they used to beat our physically more talented players. Just look how Dwight Howard played in the past Olympics. He was exposed to be the fraud that he is...and he's the best big man in the East. It took a great college coach like, coach K, to get these guys to learn their roles and play like a team. Something they're clearly not used to doing.

Championships are waaaaaay overrated.

You serious? Um, in Basketball they mean more to individual players than any other team sport. 5 guys on a floor at once, 1 guy can take over the game by himself for long stretches. There is no sport like it in which 1 guy can carry a team...without the blocking of an offensive line, without the fielding of a defense, without other people having to reach base so you can drive them in...Championships are key in basketball, great players win 4, 5, 6 of them. Great players win 1 or 2 in the NFL.

I said Kobe was top 10 when this thread started...glad everyone opened their eyes a bit. And I hate Kobe...not as much as Lebron though.

Championships are waaaaaay overrated.

Ya'll have to give Newbie a pass on this statement. He lives close to Philly. Championships are a rare commidity there. He actually says "Championships are waaaaaay overrated" three times before he goes to bed just so he can sleep at night.

...Because the NBA is nuthin but a buncha street ballin, ball hawk asswholes. All they do is drive to the basket and get bailed out by star struck officials.

Ha, not here in Dallas. We can't get anybody to drive to the bucket, all our guys want to do is jack it up. Part of the reason we won't be winning any titles soon.

I got Kobe in the top 10.

Ya'll have to give Newbie a pass on this statement. He lives close to Philly. Championships are a rare commidity there. He actually says "Championships are waaaaaay overrated" three times before he goes to bed just so he can sleep at night.

Philly sports have been doing great lately. Might want to pick up a few newspapers.

And what city are you from? (funny that no one even knows that)

Lebron hasn't won titles like Kobe but any stage in Kobe's career I doubt any GM would take him over Lebron.

Kobe has never been the best player on his OWN TEAM when winning a championship....

Shaq was the horse at the beginning, and Gasol has been the horse since...

I have been saying the first thing for a while. However, he has been the clear-cut best player on the Lakers since Shaq left. I LOVE Pau, he is the reason i started to like the Lakers, but he is second fiddle by a long shot. In the Shaq-Kobe days, Shaq was the best player, but Kobe was the the 3rd best player in the league during those years. He was second fiddle, but barely. They both contributed nearly equally to 3 rings. That team was Shaq, Kobe and garbage and they were unstoppable when they wanted to be. Kobe has been the best player since 05/06, no question until Bron last year. Now most people would say Bron.

That is a big reason why Kobe won't surpass MJ. He was the player in the league for 10 years, and after he won his first ring he was on another level from everyone else. Kobe was never on another level, and was never truly the clear-cut top player, i personally think he has been the clear-cut from 05/06 until last year. Now Bron and him are neck and neck.

Also, people who say the NBA is full of thugs and the NCAA is full of true players.....95% of NBA players came from the NCAA, so that argument makes no sense. Why do pretty much all NCAA coaches fail in the NBA if the NCAA is the better coached league?

So...top 5 range now?

Like i said, i think with #6 he moves up to #2.

You think he moves up after what we just saw tonight? :D :lol:

You think he moves up after what we just saw tonight? :lol: :lol:

Obviously poor shooting night, but 15 rebounds and he willingly gave up the ball in the clutch knowing he was off. What, you think he moves down after winning his 5th focking ring :D Are you high? Poor shooting night, but in retrospect the guy has won 5 rings and was the best player in the playoffs this year, and last year for that matter. IF this night cost them a ring, yeah, he took a hit, but they won. Them winning nullifies his poor shooting game, imo.

Obviously poor shooting night, but 15 rebounds and he willingly gave up the ball in the clutch knowing he was off. What, you think he moves down after winning his 5th focking ring :D Are you high? Poor shooting night, but in retrospect the guy has won 5 rings and was the best player in the playoffs this year, and last year for that matter. IF this night cost them a ring, yeah, he took a hit, but they won. Them winning nullifies his poor shooting game, imo.

Robert Horry won seven championships, where does he rank?

Robert Horry won seven championships, where does he rank?

I would rank Horry up there with guys like Kerr in best role players of all time...

Kobe was #1b or #1 for all his rings, and is one of the most dominant players we have ever seen. In the NBA, rings mean to most to individual merit for dominant players than any other sport since a single player has such a huge impact on the game. As great a Gasol is, Kobe is the definite #1 go-to guy on the Lakers and anyone who denies that is just ignorant or, more likely, a hater.

I would rank Horry up there with guys like Kerr in best role players of all time...

Kobe was #1b or #1 for all his rings, and is one of the most dominant players we have ever seen. In the NBA, rings mean to most to individual merit for dominant players than any other sport since a single player has such a huge impact on the game. As great a Gasol is, Kobe is the definite #1 go-to guy on the Lakers and anyone who denies that is just ignorant or, more likely, a hater.

One of the most dominant "we" have ever seen? Speak for yourself, junior. You had your first beer legally like 2 days ago.

When it comes to the Lakers, Magic will always be #1, regardless of the ring total.

I gotta go top 4

1 Wilt(they changed the rules because of him)

2 MJ (he Just plain ruled the game for the 90's

3 Big O (You will never see some on avg. a triple double ever again)

4 Kobe (basically ruled the 2000's)

5a Magic (probably the most fun to watch ever, game changer ex.big point gaurd)

5b Larry (one of the best shooters ever and most hustle I ever saw)

and he willingly gave up the ball in the clutch knowing he was off.

He did? I could have swore he clanged a three with seven seconds remaining on the shot clock in the last minute of the game and them playing with the lead.

I'm going to still go 6, my friend is actually mad because he thinks he is #1. Nope, no way, not even if he wins 8 titles. This is my official rankings after Kobe's title #5.

MJ

Magic

Bill

Wilt

Kareem

Kobe

Larry

Shaq

Tim

Jerry

Oscar

Or something like that..

He did? I could have swore he clanged a three with seven seconds remaining on the shot clock in the last minute of the game and them playing with the lead.

That was one of the 4 shots he took in the 4th, and his 2nd shot in the last 5 minutes. Nice try.

He gave up the ball so much that he ended the game with 2 assists.

So you are going to tell me you people last year didn't even have him top 10-12, but now that he hung on to win a Championship over a team who many thought would be bounced in at least the 2nd round....you have him top 6 or 4? Give me a break.

It was retarded to think he wasn't a top 10 player before.

It is more retarded to now think this one crapass championship moves him 5-8 spots up. He turned the ball many times. He shot 25% in game 7, but managed to have the refs get him to the line 15 times where he shot 73% that game. Wow, talk about clutch. He is a great player, but this championship moved him up slightly at best. Just because he now has 5 instead of 4 rings doesn't mean much when he played so poor. 2 of his better games were in losses.

Great player. Not yet above Magic. And pretty much no chance of sniffing MJs jock.