Sign in to follow this  
TheGame1677

Ronnie Brown Vs. Pierre Thomas

I have the 6th pick in the draft coming up and I'm looking at a RB for sure and I have it down to these two. Which one would you take in a keeper in which your keepers are QB- Tom Brady-NE, RB- LaDanian Tomlinson-SD, WR- Larry Fitzgerald-ARZ

Brown all the way. I'm very high on him this season, another year removed from his injury and in an emerging, run-first offense. I like Pierre but I think Brown will have a much better season.

Both good picks. My gut tell my Pierre just because I think NO has a better offense. I think Miami benefited from the Wild Cat scheme and teams not being ready for it. I expect teams in the East will make the adjustments and that should cut into some of those long plays Brown pulled off. With that said I don't think you can go wrong with either guy.

I'd go with Thomas.

I actually like Brown as a player. Runs hard. Doesn't go down easily. But really, what has he done? Two years ago, right before suffering his knee injury, he was setting the league on fire. But that was with Cameron as HC. Last year, he had a huge game against NE where he piled up 40% of his total TDs and about 10% of his total yardage for the year. In fact, he had a third of his yards and half his TDs in 3 games (@NE, SD, OAK). He had 17+ carries three times (@NE, SD, @DEN). He had 12 or fewer carries in 7 games. And he had about 30% of his receptions in the last two games...giving him 33 for the year.

The talent is there. I love Brown as a player, but I question the team around him and call to fact that the guy has never put up solid, consistent numbers. Gonna be a lot of 6/7 point outtings from Ronnie....and I need something more from my RB2.

Thomas, on the other hand, has excelled when given the opportunity. There was a 6 game stretch after the Saints' bye, where it's obvious the coaching staff made a committment to Pierre. And he delivered. From week 11 - 16, the guy had fewer than 12 carries once (@TB)....though never really got more than 15-16 in any game. Had fewer than 4.0 ypc once (@TB). Failed to score once (@TB). Had runs of at least 16 yards in every game except @TB. Had at least 3 receptions in every contest except ATL......and @TB.

The guy produced when given the chance. Therefore, the big question with Pierre is will he be given the same opportunities in '09. Drew Brees seems to think so. The coaching staff must think so as they didn't draft a RB, and have yet to bring in a FA.

It'll be interesting to see how these backs are used in the preseason, as that might shed some light onto their respective roles this year. But if I had to choose now, I'm going with the guy who's put up better numbers and is on the better offense.

I'll take Pierre. I like Brown, but sticky Ricky's hanging around and has yet to show signs of losing his own healthy chunk of carries. I also expect that Pat White will run most of the Wildcat stuff this year given the 2nd round pick and the fact that it probably needs to change up a bit as a tactic to stay effective.

Pierre has shown a lot of talent, is a great pass-catcher, should get 60% of the carries, and will be the goal-line back. Love his prospects.

It was amazing to me that Ronnie came back that quick from his knee injury and had the season he had.

Ronnie Brown plays in an offense where he could be a top 5 fantasy RB. Pierre does not. Pierre will be lucky to average 15 carries a game on a pass oriented offense.

Ronnie Brown is more talented than Pierre Thomas IMO.

Boy. I have these guys ranked right next to each other. I REALLY like Brown and think he is coming back for a big 2009, but I might have to lean toward Thomas. I like the offense in N.O. more. I do have a feeling that if the bullets were flying in a live draft, I would crack under the pressure and take Brown, because I know deep, deep down, I trust him more. He did help chase Brandon Jacobs out of Auburn. That has to account for something.

It was amazing to me that Ronnie came back that quick from his knee injury and had the season he had.

Ronnie Brown plays in an offense where he could be a top 5 fantasy RB. Pierre does not. Pierre will be lucky to average 15 carries a game on a pass oriented offense.

I'll agree with you that Brown is more talented. But speaking of injuries, the wildcard here is Reggie Bush. I think Bush is done as a home run threat. Even if he comes all the way back, he's lost that explosive step. And that kills his game because he can't break tackles. If Bush stays true to form and goes down again in 2009, it's THOMAS who has top five potential. :pointstosky:

I'll agree with you that Brown is more talented. But speaking of injuries, the wildcard here is Reggie Bush. I think Bush is done as a home run threat. Even if he comes all the way back, he's lost that explosive step. And that kills his game because he can't break tackles. If Bush stays true to form and goes down again in 2009, it's THOMAS who has top five potential. :pointstosky:

Good call. I think Bush is done. He had surgery in the spring and he is done. Pierre Thomas should be $$$$$. :pointstosky:

Other than a few brief flashes, what has Ronnie Brown done? He had one huge game out of the Wildcat last year, but look at his stats for the rest of the year. Not very impressive. Plus, the Fins play one of the toughest schedules this year.

Bush is coming off of surgery, and he wasn't a lead back even before then. He'll still get his catches, but Thomas has shown numerous times that he can be the lead man. And the fact that NO didn't draft a RB or bring in a free agent shows their confidence in him. NO has one of the best offences in the league to help open running lanes, and IMO Thomas doesn't have much competition for carries. Their defence still sucks, so they'll have to score plenty of points to win. I'd rather have Thomas than Brown. Brown has the bigger name, but Thomas has top 10 potential.

Wha? :rolleyes:

Thomas had 9 td's in the last 6 games of the year in 2008, 6 rushing and 3 receiving. Pierre sure as hell plays in an offense that could make him a top 5. Pierre could average 15 carries and 4 receptions every game....is that enough touches to get him to top 5? In that offense, hells yeah.

Talent doesn't always equal success. Example: Emmit Smith

Seriously though, I'm really struggling with which one of these guys will stand out and be the draft day bargain. Thomas, Brown, Grant. Any of them could be bargains when all's said and done. Just not sure which one.

I'd go with Ronnie Brown. Pierre will produce I'm just a little unsure how much. Bush was getting good numbers before his injury last year and if he produces again like that this year you gotta think he's gonna get the opportunity to do so. He can catch a lot of passes and you know Brees will tossing the rock a lot. Also there's other skill players that may limit Pierre's opps a bit like Colston, Moore and Shockey.

On the other hand I like Brown's chances this year. If he's fully back healthy you can forget about Ricky Williams getting a bunch of carries. We all saw the 4 td wildcat game Brown had against the Pats last year early on before he got injured. I think you'll see more of the wildcat from him this year and that's gonna increase his chances of producing. I think people are gonna get good value from Ronnie Brown for where you'll be able to draft him.

Count me in with Joey. Brown is ready and the Phins are going to ride him hard. Here's a good article about Brown and coming back from injuries:

http://www.footballdocs.com/RB_injury_rule.html

Brown is good to go!! :thumbsup: :lol: :headbanger:

Wasn't aware of the two year injury rule. Very Good Article! :cry:

Both great picks where they are going in my opinion.

IMO, Ronnie is the most overrated RB in fantasy this year. I don't like his O-Line, Ricky, his injury history, his recovery, his dismal second half of the season last year and finally, the Miami schedule this year.

Plus, you have to burn a fairly early pick on him. Let someone else take what I think is a bad value and a big risk.

Thomas and I don't think its close.

Talent doesn't always equal success. Example: Emmit Smith

Hope you mean broadcasting, he had so much talent, just couldn't put it all together.

IMO, Ronnie is the most overrated RB in fantasy this year. I don't like his O-Line, Ricky, his injury history, his recovery, his dismal second half of the season last year and finally, the Miami schedule this year.

Plus, you have to burn a fairly early pick on him. Let someone else take what I think is a bad value and a big risk.

Thomas and I don't think its close.

thomas by far is the better back and bush coming off knee surgery !p. thomas gets the carries in no.

Clearly some strong feelings on Ronnie Brown in both directions. Thus, someone is going to take Brown pretty early in the draft in almost all of your leagues and half the league will think (good pick) while the other half will think (sucker). I can't wait till my drafts get going.

I can tell you that the coaching staff has been raving about Ronnie this offseason so far. Remember he is in two of his recovery from the ACL. He is not hesitant. He has worked out harder than ever and looks amazing. You can say what you want about him but I think he is a steal for a late second round pick. The guy produces as well when he gets his carries. This should be his career year. 4.4 career average per attempt is very solid. Just give him the damn ball!

I say 300 carries for 1320 yards, plus 40 catches for another 250 and 12 total TD's.

What are their average ADPs these days? Thought I saw Thomas had an ADP of around 3.04, but not sure.

Where is the best place to find ADPs these days?

go with Brown. what did Pierre do last year that was so special??? Bush will be back and will take carries away and they throw the ball 75 times a game. Brown has to compete a little with Sticky Icky Ricky but Brown is the man. plus dont draft anyone in football with the name PIERRE :thumbsdown:

I guess if i had a lean it would be toward Pierre.

Mainly because Browns schedule is horrific....i think its 2nd toughest vs the run this year.

Also Pierre is a fresh back, Bush really isnt a feature back, and i simply like the name Pierre :thumbsdown:

I dunno....the schedule is the thing for me.....they play some tough teams, get behind.....stop running.