Sign in to follow this  
PATSSOX

How do you determine draft order?

Curious to see how other people determine their leagues draft positions? We have always done it just by putting numbers and names in hat and pull out to get who drafts where. We just did it for league im commish in.(i got pick 11 :bandana: ) Our draft is not till august 20th but i like to let everyone know where they draft so they can prepare. In another league we dont find out our draft position till night of draft.

We have discussed determining draft position kinda like the NFL. if you win the league you draft last and if you finish last you get #1. But i dont like that because alot of people would rather draft at end.

another option which i kinda like is who ever finishes last gets to pick his draft position and so on. The guy who won league gets last remaining spot.

PATSSOX,

We have a 10 team league and do the draft like this...Top 6 teams make the playoffs. The remaining 4 play in a consolation bracket. I will rank the 4 teams in the consolation bracket as how many games they win in the playoff weeks. So, one team one every matchup...so winning the consolation bracket. The reward for that team is that they can pick wherever they like in next years draft. Then the 2nd runner up in that consolation bracket pick...and so on until all 4 teams pick.

Then, I'll fill in the rest of the 6 playoff teams according to where they finished. The 6th playoff team gets the highest spot (1, 2, 3 so on..) Then the rest get filled in as well.

This gives the 4 teams that don't make the playoffs some incentive on remaining competitive throughout the playoff weeks, since they won't get any $ payout from the league.

PATSSOX,

We have a 10 team league and do the draft like this...Top 6 teams make the playoffs. The remaining 4 play in a consolation bracket. I will rank the 4 teams in the consolation bracket as how many games they win in the playoff weeks. So, one team one every matchup...so winning the consolation bracket. The reward for that team is that they can pick wherever they like in next years draft. Then the 2nd runner up in that consolation bracket pick...and so on until all 4 teams pick.

Then, I'll fill in the rest of the 6 playoff teams according to where they finished. The 6th playoff team gets the highest spot (1, 2, 3 so on..) Then the rest get filled in as well.

This gives the 4 teams that don't make the playoffs some incentive on remaining competitive throughout the playoff weeks, since they won't get any $ payout from the league.

thats good idea. im gonna bring up some ideas to our league at draft

i play in a redraft league with only 6 teams, i know its kind of strange but we have things in place to make it more difficult, such as only 5 free agents for the entire year. it is total points for the season, and winner gets first choice of draft spot, then second place chooses next and so on and last place gets whatever is left. that way guys play all the way to the end so they dont get stuck with a pick they don't like.

in a 10 team keeper league, we go from last place to first selecting their draft position. snake style draft, 4 keepers.

Curious to see how other people determine their leagues draft positions? We have always done it just by putting numbers and names in hat and pull out to get who drafts where. We just did it for league im commish in.(i got pick 11 :dunno: ) Our draft is not till august 20th but i like to let everyone know where they draft so they can prepare. In another league we dont find out our draft position till night of draft.

We have discussed determining draft position kinda like the NFL. if you win the league you draft last and if you finish last you get #1. But i dont like that because alot of people would rather draft at end.

another option which i kinda like is who ever finishes last gets to pick his draft position and so on. The guy who won league gets last remaining spot.

I use a random number generator that includes my e-mail, owner e-mail and the random number.

The owner pulls up the script, runs it, and it send the number to both of us this way there's no complaints.

Lowest number drafts first to highest last.

P

Random every year....I dont like rewarding failure by providing the worst team the #1 pick the following year.

Now, I realize some argue that getting the #1 pick isnt a 'reward'

But I am sure you get my point.

Random, picked out of a hat.

Redraft league. We put 12 numbers 1-12 in a hat and draw the numbers. The person who draws #1 gets to pick there draft position first, #2 gets second pick and so on.

I like this method:

1st of all you must have at least 4 guys from the league present, so you don't get any bitching (more the merrier)

a.) 1 guy randomly lists the number 1-12 (or 1-10) on a sheet of paper and sets it in an envelope (these are your draft slots)

b.) 1 guys randomly lists the names of the 12 (or 10) teams on a sheet of paper

c.) open the envelope and name one drafts in the first slot listed, and so on...

double blind, fair as fair can be, and it only takes a few minutes

I take 12 cards- Ace =1 and Jack=11 Queen=12 and cards 2-10

We shuffle them up and have the names of everyone on a piece of paper in a hat. We begin to turn over the cards and and pick the names out of the hat and if the first card turned over is lets say the jack, the first named pulled out of the hat gets the 11th pick, so on and so forth...

I like letting the cards decide-- Just pulling the names out is kinda boring........

I asked that question in a thread also but I did a google search and came up with this site. It's pretty interesting however I like the Serpentine order so I'll only use it for the 1st round. This generator allows you to put in the names of the teams it will create a random order for each round.

http://www.firststepconsulting.com/UFF/Ran...nerateStart.asp

One even better that emails all of the managers the draft order.

http://tools.fantasyfootball.com/predraft/draftorder.php

Random. Besides the fact that all non-playoff teams go into a "total points" playoff. Whoever wins gets choice of pick next year. Everyone else is random draw.

There is no way the previous year's record should determine draft order in a redraft league. The NFL uses it because the bottom teams suck. Everyone starts new in a redraft so why go based on record from last year?

Also we usually draw slots ahead of the draft. Whether it is a week or a month before, it is usually before the day of the draft.

I'm in a keeper league, where picks are tradeable so having a higher pick has value. However to prevent the weaker teams from tanking it. The bottom 4 teams go into a lottery. A la the NBA draft setup.

It's worked out well.

Sorry to bump an ancient thread but I've been considering awarding draft pick spot choice to the winner of the consolation bracket starting this season to help combat tanking.

My only concern is this: I usually lock the teams who do not qualify for the playoffs, or who are out of the money as soon as they are eliminated so they can't put in waiver claims and impact the championship.  If I go down this road I don't want these consolation bracket teams making pickups and stealing waiver players from teams competing for the trophy/money.  Would it take all the fun out of it if I were to still lock the consolation bracket teams from making add/drops?

50 minutes ago, gardenstatepkwy said:

Sorry to bump an ancient thread but I've been considering awarding draft pick spot choice to the winner of the consolation bracket starting this season to help combat tanking.

My only concern is this: I usually lock the teams who do not qualify for the playoffs, or who are out of the money as soon as they are eliminated so they can't put in waiver claims and impact the championship.  If I go down this road I don't want these consolation bracket teams making pickups and stealing waiver players from teams competing for the trophy/money.  Would it take all the fun out of it if I were to still lock the consolation bracket teams from making add/drops?

So we have a 12 team league and the top 6 make the playoffs. To stop teams from the tanking the bottom 6 play a consolation bracket for their draft order for the next year. So tanking really does them no good. The top 6 play in the playoffs and then based on order of finish draft their draft slot for the next year. So the worst of the top half or the number 6 person gets the 1st selection of which draft slot they would want. (7-12) They could keep it or they could move down whatever they want. 

The only downside to this is if you have a punishment for the person who finishes 12 in the regular season for your draft. They could potentially get double punished by also not getting the 1st pick

1 minute ago, cyclone24 said:

So we have a 12 team league and the top 6 make the playoffs. To stop teams from the tanking the bottom 6 play a consolation bracket for their draft order for the next year. So tanking really does them no good. The top 6 play in the playoffs and then based on order of finish draft their draft slot for the next year. So the worst of the top half or the number 6 person gets the 1st selection of which draft slot they would want. (7-12) They could keep it or they could move down whatever they want. 

The only downside to this is if you have a punishment for the person who finishes 12 in the regular season for your draft. They could potentially get double punished by also not getting the 1st pick

Do you lock the consolation bracket teams from adding/dropping?

19 minutes ago, gardenstatepkwy said:

Do you lock the consolation bracket teams from adding/dropping?

No

Our commish did something quite unique this season(12 team league) he had us all take the Wonderlick Test and the highest score got to pick their draft slot and so on.

I’m in a keeper league where every owner keeps one player from previous years roster.  To determine draft order - the higher your keeper is ranked, the lower you draft and vice versa.  Pretty good method imo. 

On 8/20/2019 at 10:00 AM, nzoner said:

Our commish did something quite unique this season(12 team league) he had us all take the Wonderlick Test and the highest score got to pick their draft slot and so on.

I would go find an aderal dealer and take one before I took the test

On 8/19/2019 at 1:33 PM, gardenstatepkwy said:

No need to apologize for bumping a relevant thread just because it's old