Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Round 2 Commentary

mmmmmmm.......awkward :argue:

Westbroken.....good choice... ;)

Clash and V4E's lists are with Mike, so we should be off to a better start today. :ninja:

Sweeeeeeet :cry:

Clash and V4E's lists are with Mike, so we should be off to a better start today. :music_guitarred:

That implies that Mike will wake up before noon..... :dunno:

I've come to realize that I am not wired for online drafts like this. I am just not patient enough. It drives me absolutely crazy. I'll try to keep the whining and complaining to a minimum. :sadbanana:

I was looking at DeAngelo at 1.06 :mad:

Steal of the Draft so far IMO. :thumbsup:

The 2.03 - 2.07 range is about right for him. There is no reason to believe he will repeat what he managed last year, most of the known facts suggest otherwise.

being PPR....i decided to try something new...experiment... and make sure i get two top 5 wrs......we'll see what happens at the turn..........in a real league i feel QUITE sure i would have taken deangelo there....i really like him but carolina NEVER throws to their backs...he may not catch 20 passes...but he's an awesome talent..........looking forward to the rest of this ditty :thumbsup:

The 2.03 - 2.07 range is about right for him. There is no reason to believe he will repeat what he managed last year, most of the known facts suggest otherwise.

Really? :mad:

Dude is a stud on a run first team who produced even with a solid number two RB (proves he will get carries no matter what). Carolina has a terrific O-Line. He is coming into his prime years. He is humble and seems hungry. He runs for yardage and scores TD's. Has decent to good hands. And he has a proven pedigre in college (set NCAA records) Not to mention the person behind him is a little gimpy.

What's not to love about this guy? It could be argued that he should be #4 overall IMO. :thumbsup:

Really? :unsure:

Dude is a stud on a run first team who produced even with a solid number two RB (proves he will get carries no matter what). Carolina has a terrific O-Line. He is coming into his prime years. He is humble and seems hungry. He runs for yardage and scores TD's. Has decent to good hands. And he has a proven pedigre in college (set NCAA records) Not to mention the person behind him is a little gimpy.

What's not to love about this guy? It could be argued that he should be #4 overall IMO. :bandana:

I get the reasons in favor, and the two sides of the fence have been facing off on him about this since April.

My take is that up to the fraction of games in which he suddenly stepped up last year, he was pedestrian. One might surmise that the drafting of Stewart forced him to finally actually step up and produce. Once could also look at the soft schedule of teams that Carolina faced as well.

My take is that why the sudden emergence, and can he hold that against a much tougher schedule? How much will Stewart take away from him, let alone the other solid RB's in that stable.

Best case scenario- DeWill avoids a "true" RBBC, hold on to perhaps 80% of the carries, maybe lasts the season, maybe gets lucky when facing the better teams this year. Too many variables to justify him going before the early second rnd- JMHO

What's not to love about this guy? It could be argued that he should be #4 overall IMO. :unsure:

To be honest, I think he's the most talented back in the league (with LT on the decline). For all the reasons you mentioned above, I like him better than Westy, Slaton and Chris Johnson this year. Westy will need a miracle to make it through 12 games, in the condition he's in. Slaton and Chris Johnson share time and get vultured TD's. He'd be the first RB I'd take, after the big 3 WR's are gone.

Good pick. :bandana:

What's not to love about this guy? It could be argued that he should be #4 overall IMO. :bandana:

keep in mind I wanted Williams at 2.04 and like him this year.

that said, what not to love about this guy is his schedule. He faces alot of stout run defenses. I know SoS changes year to year but he faces alot of teams that have traditionally been tough. Last year, he faces alot of cupcake matchups.

Also, last year was the first time he really did anything so in that sense, some people may shy away from him the same way that they would shy away from a rookie. Gotta see him do it again. Obviously having another back that was able to score 10+ td's is also a concern because you never know if they are going to make it more of an even split.

I personally like him because he runs with alot of power and speed and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Also, as you said the person behind him is gimpy. He has missed a ton of practices. And the o-line is one of the best in the league.

Frank Gore - uhh im not sure I have ever owned Frank Gore in a real league. Hes a guy to me who is always a little overhyped. But for the PPR format I think he is the best back left... Was a tossup between him and another player but I decided I liked my options at the other position later.

No concerns with Westy healthwise Dan? Just a tad early for me and also a bit leary.

Clash has always went with his own thoughts/projections and respect that, but that's real early for smith IMO...like to hear your thoughts Clash.

Nice start V4E.

I've been advocating for DWill all summer.

Admittedly value takes hit in ppr, but seen him fall to mid-2nd in standard scoring.

Many down on him b/c shares carries.

Well he shared carries last yr and was a monster.

And his 'shared workload'...still finished NINTH in carries amongst RBs...more than Slaton, 1per game less than LT, 3 per game less than Forte.

And when it comes down to it, there's only 2-3 rbs (two taken already) who are going to see 360+ carries...most others will be around 300 carries.

you take his yardage from last year (safe bet IMO) and cut his TDs in half and you're still looking at real nice value at this pt in draft.

I would have went Gore. He will be a very good ppr back, and get you an additional 60+ on receptions. With him gone it was between 2 people, and I had to take the top QB. I will pay for this in the next few rounds, but the top QB (Brees), and the Top Wr (Fitz), by most accounts, is a nice start. Leave me some scraps!!

I've gone back and forth on DWill all offseason. The only thing that had me reluctant to take him in the first was his timeshare. But, it's becoming clear....at least to me....that that might not be much of an issue (I won't say too much about that here, but you can read between the lines). Yeah...the schedule is tough. So. The fact is CAR runs the ball better than anyone else in the league. They have a huge, dominant offensive line...and their offensive philosophy has been, and will continue to be run first.

DWill in the early second is a very good pick.

Generally speaking, most of the picks have been solid thus far, but I don't like the Brees pick this early. Maybe it's just my personal approach that QBs can be had later without compromising productivity, but in this format it seems that there is a higher premium on WR and RB. It'll be interesting to see which direction you take your draft RC.

No concerns with Westy healthwise Dan? Just a tad early for me and also a bit leary.

Slightly, yes. But where I was at, I have 18 picks before my next guy, and I want the guy who is going to catch a ton of balls. Predicting injury? Hmmm. How do we feel about the #2 overall pick? How about #5? #6 - he's riding the edge of that "injury-plagued" moniker, and deservedly so. So after I decided to RB, I chose the one that fit the PPR system the best. I have misgivings about Williams (see RLLD), so it brought it down to Westy, Gore, and another RB. Gore I can't really explain or justify. He always scares me, and I always feel like he's going to let me down . . . and being in that crap offense does not help. The other RB certainly would have raised eyebrows, as well, though he was justifiable, as well, especially since I don't pick til Friday. I went this way over [RB] because I wanted to see how this plays out.

Nice to see this draft is already less focked up that the IBL drafts. :headbanger:

:first:

I've gone back and forth on DWill all offseason. The only thing that had me reluctant to take him in the first was his timeshare. But, it's becoming clear....at least to me....that that might not be much of an issue (I won't say too much about that here, but you can read between the lines). Yeah...the schedule is tough. So. The fact is CAR runs the ball better than anyone else in the league. They have a huge, dominant offensive line...and their offensive philosophy has been, and will continue to be run first.

DWill in the early second is a very good pick.

Generally speaking, most of the picks have been solid thus far, but I don't like the Brees pick this early. Maybe it's just my personal approach that QBs can be had later without compromising productivity, but in this format it seems that there is a higher premium on WR and RB. It'll be interesting to see which direction you take your draft RC.

It will be tough, but it would have been equally tough if I would have taken the WR I was considering. That was the only other guy that I could have spent this 2nd rounder on. Either way I was going to be looking hard for Rb's soon, but I have one position covered, and a top producer in the other. One thing for sure, I won't get caught up on the wrong side of that one QB run that procrastinators get caught up in in the middle of the draft. You never know when it happens, then suddenly you are 12+ picks away from starting someone with a questionable offense, or questionable health.

It will be tough, but it would have been equally tough if I would have taken the WR I was considering. That was the only other guy that I could have spent this 2nd rounder on. Either way I was going to be looking hard for Rb's soon, but I have one position covered, and a top producer in the other. One thing for sure, I won't get caught up on the wrong side of that one QB run that procrastinators get caught up in in the middle of the draft. You never know when it happens, then suddenly you are 12+ picks away from starting someone with a questionable offense, or questionable health.

ITA

You could end up with something like Roethlisberger, or Edwards or even.....(blech)....Schaub..... :headbanger:

ITA

You could end up with something like Roethlisberger, or Edwards or even.....(blech)....Schaub..... :first:

Nice of you to be feeling my IBL pain Ray!! :headbanger:

I don't know if I'd do it personally, but there's some decent rbs to be had 3-6, especially if you have a top wr and THE top qb to go with them.

Respect to other qbs, but see Brees as being top guy again, this offense can score and defense still a work in progress.

So don't think this is too early at all...it's about where I've seen 1st qb go in most drafts.

Nice take on Westy pick Dan and I hear ya about injuries with some of the other guys...but that's exactly why I would stay away from some of the rbs you reference. Pt taken though and the ppr aspect can't be ignored.

V4E, you gotta share man...what's going on with IBL drafts?

hmm, sounds like my june mock :headbanger:

Nice of you to be feeling my IBL pain Ray!! :headbanger:

:first:

The word out of Niners camp is that Gore looks amazing lately.

Trying to choose between Tom Brady and the best RB available.

Decided to take a chance on Brady and his knee. I only watched him in one preseason game and he looked ok. Plus, I like their addition in the WR core. It's definitely gonna be a good year for the guy.

2.6 RB Marion Barber, DAL

This was a pretty tough choice. There's a couple guys at this spot who I liked.

In the end, Marion Barber finished as the #13 PPR RB in 2008. He did this all while missing week 14 and playing hurt the final 3, in which he only carried the ball a combined 13 times. Floor is 200 carries for 800, 50 catches for 400 and 8/9 TD's. Ceiling is 250 carries for 1000, 60+ catches for 500 and 12/13 TD's. Just the kind of guy I like as a safe low end RB1, after taking a WR with my 1st rounder.

I don't know if I'd do it personally, but there's some decent rbs to be had 3-6, especially if you have a top wr and THE top qb to go with them.

Respect to other qbs, but see Brees as being top guy again, this offense can score and defense still a work in progress.

So don't think this is too early at all...it's about where I've seen 1st qb go in most drafts.

Nice take on Westy pick Dan and I hear ya about injuries with some of the other guys...but that's exactly why I would stay away from some of the rbs you reference. Pt taken though and the ppr aspect can't be ignored.

V4E, you gotta share man...what's going on with IBL drafts?

WRs have been absolutely crazy this year. We're doing 8 boards in 1 league this year, so we've got 8 drafts going. The first few drafts were a little WR heavy (the big 4 going in the first, the 2nd tier of WRs going in the early 2nd), but now we're seeing WRs with a 6th round ADP going in the 4th, and excellent RBs falling.

I can't get too specific without naming names, but this year has been far more WR heavy than I have ever seen the IBL.

WRs have been absolutely crazy this year. We're doing 8 boards in 1 league this year, so we've got 8 drafts going. The first few drafts were a little WR heavy (the big 4 going in the first, the 2nd tier of WRs going in the early 2nd), but now we're seeing WRs with a 6th round ADP going in the 4th, and excellent RBs falling.

I can't get too specific without naming names, but this year has been far more WR heavy than I have ever seen the IBL.

That's when you go against the trend and hoard the RB's. It's like poker. When the rest of the table is playing tight, you play loose. When everyone at the table are wild cowboys, you tighten up and play premium hands. You always want to be reaping the benefit of the trend, not falling prey to it. But you know this already, I've seen it from you. :headbanger:

That's when you go against the trend and hoard the RB's. It's like poker. When the rest of the table is playing tight, you play loose. When everyone at the table are wild cowboys, you tighten up and play premium hands. You always want to be reaping the benefit of the trend, not falling prey to it. But you know this already, I've seen it from you. :headbanger:

Which is exactly what we've done. :lol: A couple guys are nervous, I think . . . but I really believe this will play out to our advantage.

tuff to do when you can start 4 Wr's, and 1 Rb. It is near impossibe to trade a good rb for a good wr in that league

Yeah, the FFT team is very RB heavy, often with 3 RBs taken in the first 5 rounds.

Personally, I got Turner, Barber, and a late 4th/early 5th ADP RB, plus 2 top 15 WRs, and a top 5 QB. I'm sure the teams will be posted on the main board when the teams are all drafted.

tuff to do when you can start 4 Wr's, and 1 Rb. It is near impossibe to trade a good rb for a good wr in that league

We(FFT) did win the IBL one year by grabbing the backs, but that was before it went ppr.

Right now, yes .. . but funny things happen . . .

Just look at Memphis Elite's roster from last year, examine the WR corps, and look at the RB corps, and tell me which WR he got late . . . or which RB he got early. He finished 22-45.

By the way, he went after RBs this year. :headbanger:

People overpaid mightily for those WR's in IBL, while the FFT team did not play into method, we did arrive at well balanced teams, much more so than the others who consistently paid too high a price for the priviledge to stockpile WR's.....more importantly, the value of the PPR RB is profound, shows up significantly against teams without PPR RB's.

I was hopeful that Jennings might fall to me at 2.11 but alas, picked just before me, Boldin as a consolation prize will work.

Giving me:

RB - Maurice Jones-Drew

WR - Anquan Boldin