Sign in to follow this  
Giants Fan

Don't draft a QB early ... you can get a servicable QB later concept

I had Brees ranked as my top QB going into the draft .... Brady went in the first round. Got Brees early 2nd.

Brady hasn't worked out so well ... and then you've got an injured McNabb ... Peyton Manning has a game to play still ... but it looks like the teir drop off from Brees to the next guy .... whomever you rank next .... is a tier below.

I wouldn't trade Brees for AP. Well .... I'd consider it. I figure AP has a higher injury risk. Brees will score more points in my league. My point is ... if you don't draft a Brees or a Peyton Manning ... you are gonna have a hard time trading to get them. That's why you draft a QB early.

Dude...shut up.

Are you sure that your 328th post is gonna be telling ME to shut up? You can still edit it.

And seriously .... that team. 8 team league? GTFOutta here. Punk ass bich.

Silence oh destroyer of the ellipses!!

:overhead: You're right though. :thumbsup:

Brees has looked great, but he got a free pass in Week 1 against the Lions and the Eagles offense routinely gave him great field position in this last game. Is he the #1 QB in FF? Absolutely, and he'll probably retain that status if he can stay healthy for the entire year, but it's a long season. He won't throw 70+ touchdowns so I hope you drafted the necessary depth to compensate during his inevitable down weeks.

Even if you were to say there were 3 top teir QBs ... Brees ... Brady and Peyton the NEXT drop of to Warner (old) or Flacco (young) and maybe Rivers should replace Brady ... but...

The drop off is HUGE. And nobody is gonna trade away a top QB.

Even if you were to say there were 3 top teir QBs ... Brees ... Brady and Peyton the NEXT drop of to Warner (old) or Flacco (young) and maybe Rivers should replace Brady ... but...

The drop off is HUGE. And nobody is gonna trade away a top QB.

Very true. This year's QB tiers seem to be wider than most, and conversely the RB tiers seem to not be as steep.

huh...I waited and got elite talent at my other positions and I got Matt Schaub in the 8th round in a 12 teamer. Got Garrard all the way in the 13th.

I'm 2-0. The guy with Brees (and gore fwiw) is 1-1.

I waited last year and got McNabb and Cutler in the 7th and 8th rounds and the two of them were damn near elite options. I was in the title game.

Screw taking a QB over the likes of Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, or Randy Moss. The "drop-off" for the "elite" QB's and the sleeper QB's that emerge every year isn't as much as it's talked up. The drop off between those WR's and Santana Moss however...

Don't get me wrong ... I took Chris Johnson with the 10th pick ... praying I could still get Brees .... but sure Johnson wouldn't be there. And I paid for it .... best available WR was Housh by my next pick. Got Holmes early 4th. Then went Gonzo (TE) to fill my position needed there.

... and I stole all my RBs in late rounds Ahamad Bradshaw/Ray Rice/Ricky Williams rounds 6-9. I had a lotta late round RBs targeted. Got Caddy off waivers.

Brady went 9th overall in my league. Pats homer. He's 0-2.

That was my plan going in .... best available RB and then Brees if he's there in the 2nd.

Don't get me wrong ... I took Chris Johnson with the 10th pick ... praying I could still get Brees .... but sure Johnson wouldn't be there. And I paid for it .... best available WR was Housh by my next pick. Got Holmes early 4th. Then went Gonzo (TE) to fill my position needed there.

... and I stole all my RBs in late rounds Ahamad Bradshaw/Ray Rice/Ricky Williams rounds 6-9. I had a lotta late round RBs targeted. Got Caddy off waivers.

Brady went 9th overall in my league. Pats homer. He's 0-2.

That was my plan going in .... best available RB and then Brees if he's there in the 2nd.

??? What kinda league/draft are you in ? How is Housh the best available WR with pick 15(?) With Santonio falling to the 4th round?

Anyway, I'm in a 5 guy keeper league, had like 5 picks in the first 2 rounds and had traded away some middle picks.... Should I take Eli/Ben late 2nd or let it fall?? I had Ben the past 2 years, love him, but he wasn't passing as much as it looked like he's going to this year- and Eli didnt appear to have a 'great' WR so I passed, figured I could get a serviceable QB late. The short of it was I started Delhomme last week, and dropped Bulger to start Brady Quinn week 2. Averaging .5 per game over 2 games now at QB !!! Good news is I'm strong at RB/WR and can spend 6-8 hours a day looking at my roster grid trying to come up with 'the move'. And I'm 1-1.... could be worse.

There are the top 3, then 5 or so 'way good enough' QBs so far, but I'm hopeful that offenses catch up to D's in a week or so and some of the 9-15 range guys get productive. Right now I got ta go qeue up for Byron Leftwich on my WW, or try to make a deal for Flacco... maybe Steven Jackson and next years #2 ......

i dont even have to tell you how my draft of Brady in 1st and Moss in 2nd is going :rolleyes: my RBs have not worked out that great yet. but i still think i will be OK :music_guitarred:

I took Brees in the 1st and am happy with the decision, although my WR's definitely leave a lot to be desired, but the wait on a QB strategy can still work as long as you get the right QB (or QB's). As shown in the first couple weeks, the lower-tier QB's can be inconsistent (Schaub for example), but they can still be productive. The best way to do it may be a platoon, but that will most likely lead to a couple weeks where you make the wrong decision and end up kicking yourself, and you will probably have to draft your second QB earlier than usual, which kinda defeats the purpose of waiting on a QB to begin with.

I didn't pick a QB until Trent Edwards and I'm doing pretty good. I am 1-1, but lost the first week by 0.2 points.

There will always be QBs available if you play it by matchup. You figure once BYE weeks go through, alot of the people who backed up their top QBs will be available in a trade.

I dont have Brees, but if someone offered me ADP for him straight up, I would do it in a heartbeat.

QBs are overrated. Its week 2. Things will revert back to what they do every year - RBs and WRs.

Its easy to be elated when your stock is high.

I'm 2-0 in all 3 money leagues.

Didn't take a quarterback until 7th round in any of them. :thumbsdown:

Nice strategy taking a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. Good luck in the playoffs with your "solid depth" :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

How are the guys who took a QB early and ended up with Romo or McNabb or Brady?

How about the guys who waited and took a Schaub (if he slipped)? And guys like Palmer and Cutler are going to be just fine.

QB tiering this year wasn't much different than years past, but it went deeper. So, unless you picked in the back half of the 1st and could get Brees, I suspect you are perfectly happy waiting for a couple mid-tier QB with upside.

I had Brees ranked as my top QB going into the draft .... Brady went in the first round. Got Brees early 2nd.

Brady hasn't worked out so well ... and then you've got an injured McNabb ... Peyton Manning has a game to play still ... but it looks like the teir drop off from Brees to the next guy .... whomever you rank next .... is a tier below.

I wouldn't trade Brees for AP. Well .... I'd consider it. I figure AP has a higher injury risk. Brees will score more points in my league. My point is ... if you don't draft a Brees or a Peyton Manning ... you are gonna have a hard time trading to get them. That's why you draft a QB early.

Schaub in the 7th is working out just fine :doublethumbsup:

Sanchez as a solid backup

Schaub in the 7th is working out fine for me. Palmer even later looks ok too. I took Jones-Drew at #2 then got Gore late 2nd and Jennings at the turn. I don't buy QB early unless I get a great value...

Palmer and Garrard in one league = 2-0 :doublethumbsup:

Eli and Garrard in another = 2-0 :pointstosky:

Schaub in a 3rd league = 0-2 :cry:

Are you sure that your 328th post is gonna be telling ME to shut up? You can still edit it.

And seriously .... that team. 8 team league? GTFOutta here. Punk ass bich.

First off, I contribute more to this board by not commenting on 98% of the posts that I read than you ranting about how great your team is. Guess what? You're first two picks are studs, you struck gold with Holmes and Gonzo but outside of that your team is garbage. The first bad week Brees has, you will lose. And you'll lose bad. And I can't wait to come back and check the boards when that happens to see if you're gloating like a ###### idiot.

Secondly, I'm in a 12-team league. It must be shocking to you to see a team that was well-drafted and has some depth outside of the first two selections.

And to answer you're question? Schaub seems to be working out for me just fine. And the best part of it is if he goes down then I have at least a tiny bit of hope of continuing to win games because he doesn't make up 80% of my point production. You ###### jack-ass.

not too well for me - I was too gun shy in my auction and focused on RB's so I'm 0-2 and just made a desperate panicked trade for Schaub, who considering his schedule and Slaton's suckiness, could be considered a top 5 QB. My thought always was, that outside of Brees, Manning and Brady, everyone else is too inconsistent and it is not worth the extra $8-10 auction ($100 budget) to target an extra 5-6 points a game that a guy like McNabb could bring over a Kyle Orton. After seeing the Brees owner start 2-0 and me in the cellar, boy was I wrong. The stud RB theory (outside of AD and a few others) may be giving way to the stud QB theory.

McNair hasn't worked out for me so far..... :unsure:

Shouldn't Giantsfan be busy pulling people out of burning buildings or something?

I guess he took time from his heroic days to enlighten us that Drew Brees is good. Wow. What a contribution.

Shouldn't Giantsfan be busy pulling people out of burning buildings or something?

I guess he took time from his heroic days to enlighten us that Drew Brees is good. Wow. What a contribution.

saving firefighters from ground zero takes a backseat to trying thwart the pervalerts that get put out for him in his area for trying to lure unsuspecting prey into his den AND also a backseat to tooting his own horn about Brees.

It's funny, I walk into every draft with something of a "strategy", but when the clock starts, I end up picking based on value. In IBL for instance I was #7 (12 team draft), I would have taken Brees if he were there in the 3rd, but I didn't think the value was appropriate in the 2nd. I ended up with Romo in the 6th, and I'm 11-3 (we play 7 games every week).

But to your point: there is something about FF that makes people want to find that "gem" QB in the mid rounds that performs as well or better than a top guy. They usually are there, much like RBs and WRs who have the same result. But the mindset is different. Perhaps because we usually have to start 2-3 RBs/WRs? Basically, I will pay a little more attention to stud QBs early in future drafts.

Another year....and another hot shot who gets Brees, Manning or Brady....and took them early thinks its gods gospel to take a QB early.

NEVER.....take a QB early.....the depth at the QB is so much greater than any other spot....plus you only start one...not 2 RB's and 2WR's. I wont get into the numbers....just dont do it.

ROMO...in the 8th round. Im ok with that.

I ended up picking Big Ben and Eli in rounds seven and eight in a twelve teamer. QB's went really fast this year and by the end of the fourth round, everyone had a QB except me. I'm 0-2. LT will do that to you.

I was stuck with the 11th pick in a 12-team (2-man) keeper league and decided to take Aaron Rodgers with my first pick. It basically translated into the 3.11 when all said and done. I normally don't take QBs until the sixth/seventh round but I went best player available.

I took Eli Manning in the 10th round thinking I could trade when the injury bug started to hit others. Still holding on to him and don't plan on starting him other than Rodgers bye week.

Its all about value. Last year I got my sleeper QB Rivers in the 8th or 9th. This year I took Brees with the 8th overall pick. Brees is the only thing keeping me in it now. COMON SLATON!