Sign in to follow this  
desertfire

4 players that will "blow up" this week

Beginning this week, I'm going to begin posting 4 players that I think will blow up each week. I'm going to pick guys that may not be to conventional. I'm not going to pick guys like Brady or MJD or Brees, these will be players who might surprise or guys who have had past success but are having bad seasons. I penned Miles Austin in our league a couple weeks ago and Deangello last week, so I thought I'd go public and see how it goes.

Here we go for week 7.

Player #1: Ryan Fitzpatrick- Assuming he starts, this guy will be a huge improvement over Edwards. I play in a 2 QB league so every QB is important especially with bye weeks. If you're in a 1 QB league, then this makes no difference to you.

200 yds passing 2 tds and 40 yds rushing and 1 td.

Player #2: Laurence Maroney- The Bucs are terrible and this game will over in the 1st quarter. I'm looking for Maroney to be a top 5 RB this week I don't care where it's being played. This game could be played on the moon and it would still be a blowout!

125 yds rushing and 2 tds

Player #3: Tomlinson- He's done nothing all year but this will be the week he blows up. He's is mad about last week, getting pulled on the 1 yard line for Sproles and he will take out his frustration on KC. I look for the Chargers to really get him rollin this week.

130 total yds and 3 tds

Player #4: Steve Smith (Car)- Like LT2, he is mad. When Steve Smith is mad, get out of his freakin' way. This is the week he finally goes off. I look for Carolina to force feed him the ball and Smith will prove to them that he IS an asset to this team.

125 yds receiving and 2 tds

(Another guy I have a feeling about this week is Steve Breaston. With Boldin hurt and maybe out, I think Breaston will have a big day. This is not official but just a hunch)

Have fun tearing me a new one, I'll check back in on Monday and I will be accountable for my mistakes and will gloat over my successes!!!!!

I'm liking Breaston putting up #'s w/ NYG doubling up on Fitzy. :rolleyes:

Macaroney will get a few but Brady's gonna eat up yards like he did vs. TN so they'll put in some "garbage runs". We all know how BB loves to hate RB's. :thumbsup:

i hope you are right :rolleyes: Im starting Maroney and Smith in one league and Smith in another :headbanger:

i traded for Smith when i thought his value couldnt get any lower :thumbsup: boy was i wrong

Beginning this week, I'm going to begin posting 4 players that I think will blow up each week. I'm going to pick guys that may not be to conventional. I'm not going to pick guys like Brady or MJD or Brees, these will be players who might surprise or guys who have had past success but are having bad seasons. I penned Miles Austin in our league a couple weeks ago and Deangello last week, so I thought I'd go public and see how it goes.

Here we go for week 7.

Player #1: Ryan Fitzpatrick- Assuming he starts, this guy will be a huge improvement over Edwards. I play in a 2 QB league so every QB is important especially with bye weeks. If you're in a 1 QB league, then this makes no difference to you.

My take: ANYONE would be an improvement over Edwards the way he's been playing. I like that Fitzpatrick is taking looks DOWN THE FIELD. Unlike Edwards, he's not afraid to take chances. I'd take my chances with him if I had bye week issues.

Just don't expect a monster game. Your projection of 3 TDs is high. I'd expect 1 rr 2 with 1 INY.

Player #2: Laurence Maroney- The Bucs are terrible and this game will over in the 1st quarter. I'm looking for Maroney to be a top 5 RB this week I don't care where it's being played. This game could be played on the moon and it would still be a blowout!

My take: I like the way you think here. Again you project at least 1 too many TDs.

Player #3: Tomlinson- He's done nothing all year but this will be the week he blows up. He's is mad about last week, getting pulled on the 1 yard line for Sproles and he will take out his frustration on KC. I look for the Chargers to really get him rollin this week.

My take: He ran with more 'urgency' against Denver than I expected, so he should be a real good play here. What's up with projecting MULTIPLE TDs? You don't have to do it to make your point. You picked some great choices so far, but with the weapons SD has, I'd be safer with one TD here.

130 total yds and 3 tds

Player #4: Steve Smith (Car)- Like LT2, he is mad. When Steve Smith is mad, get out of his freakin' way. This is the week he finally goes off. I look for Carolina to force feed him the ball and Smith will prove to them that he IS an asset to this team.

My take: Another nice call that I don't disagree with completely. I'd like to see him break 100 first. But one thing about THIS Steve Smith. When he DOES finally go off, he'll go off BIG. I'm not quite about this week, but this week is as good as any.

(Another guy I have a feeling about this week is Steve Breaston. With Boldin hurt and maybe out, I think Breaston will have a big day. This is not official but just a hunch).

My take: Breaston will be a PPR force this week. Expect to see 7 receptions for 90 yds (maybe a TD, but I'm not projecting one).

Have fun tearing me a new one, I'll check back in on Monday and I will be accountable for my mistakes and will gloat over my successes!!!!!

Though I agree somewhat with LT and S. Smith. Boney Maroney will not do much. The Pats had to score 59 points for him to even get started.

Let's say the game goes 38-3. 350 yards and Four TDs for Brady. That's leaves what? 50 yards and a TD max for Lawrence. And this is assuming the other nobody RBs in NE do nothing.

Though I agree somewhat with LT and S. Smith. Boney Maroney will not do much. The Pats had to score 59 points for him to even get started.

Well technically he scored their first TD, so the Pats really only need 7 points to get him going...

I don't see why his yards have to be capped @ 50 although I don't see him getting more than 1 td. If he gets 15-20 touches which shouldn't be that shocking given what they have at RB that could be 80+ yards easy. Hell he had 45 yards on 1 carry and that was before they even showed they could pass the ball

Well technically he scored their first TD, so the Pats really only need 7 points to get him going...

I don't see why his yards have to be capped @ 50 although I don't see him getting more than 1 td. If he gets 15-20 touches which shouldn't be that shocking given what they have at RB that could be 80+ yards easy. Hell he had 45 yards on 1 carry and that was before they even showed they could pass the ball

I think you're missing the point. It's not that he scored in garbage time, it's that it had to be against team the Pats totally outclassed for Maroney to have a chance to do anything of note.

Perhaps they outclass the Bucs similarly, but of course, with their air superiority. Their defense and run game are average compared to other NFL teams.

The Pats run game is lucky to get going at all, with Belicheck's ego desperate to run up scores and humilate people.

So - the point is that Maroney's success was a fluke...my barely subdued opinion of the (a$$hole) Pats aside.

Not saying that Maroney is gonna suck but we need to take that 45 yard run with a grain of salt. With those field conditions Brady could have broken off a sweet 40 yard run himself.

Hell, with no threat of a passing game CJ424 had 2 40+ yard runs. He is a stud but the weather contributed greatly to the inflated YPC and the long runs.

I think you're missing the point. It's not that he scored in garbage time, it's that it had to be against team the Pats totally outclassed for Maroney to have a chance to do anything of note.

Perhaps they outclass the Bucs similarly, but of course, with their air superiority. Their defense and run game are average compared to other NFL teams.

The Pats run game is lucky to get going at all, with Belicheck's ego desperate to run up scores and humilate people.

So - the point is that Maroney's success was a fluke...my barely subdued opinion of the (a$$hole) Pats aside.

I guess i just have a different take. Even if the game turns out 24-21, then Maroney scores, so I don't see how this proves it needs to be a blowout for him to succeed.

To me its more likely that he scored and looked good because he finally had a chance to have consistent carries. Not saying that will necessarily continue w/ Belicheck at the helm, but it seems like many are just dogging the guy cause he has burned them in the past. He was pretty good in '07 when he was actually getting carries.

In the last 6 games (including post season) of 07 here were his stats:

20 touches per game

108 all purpose yards per game

1.16 TDS per game

Based on that finish many people drafted him high in 08 and were disappointed cause he missed the whole year, blah blah. Those stats from above show his potential when Sammy Morris is out of the picture. Now that he is out of the way temporarily, many owners were able to get Maroney for nothing.

There is no reason not to believe that he doesnt atleast have the potential to put up those types of numbers again. Optimists will point to last weeks game and say hey thats what he can do w/ the chances.

Pessimists will say that BJGE will get half the carries and that if its not a blowout maroney will suck. I prefer more objective analysis, and of course am a Maroney owner

My four picks are

Moore

Collie

Mike Bell

Finley

Finley was supposed to "blow it up" last week against woeful Detroit and only netted 50 yards. :music_guitarred:

Here we go for week 7.

130 total yds and 3 tds

(Another guy I have a feeling about this week is Steve Breaston. With Boldin hurt and maybe out, I think Breaston will have a big day. This is not official but just a hunch)

Love the thought of this thread.

Now, as to its content - I agree with Maroney and LT. Don't agree with Fitz and the 4th guy you mentioned. I'm curious as to why you think Fitz is better than Edwards. His arm is even weaker.

I was going to come in here and say Steve Smith.

The cry will be wonderful from everyone that benches him this week.

Here's a big question - why SHOULD I play him? I just traded for him and benching Hines cost me the game.

I think I can run with Hines, Simms, and Rhoddy all year but I would really like to play matchups if he has a good game.

Here's a big question - why SHOULD I play him? I just traded for him and benching Hines cost me the game.

I think I can run with Hines, Simms, and Rhoddy all year but I would really like to play matchups if he has a good game.

Oh i wouldn't start him unless I didn't have any other options.

Doesn't mean i wouldn't beat myself up about it if i sat him and he went off.

Love the thought of this thread.

Now, as to its content - I agree with Maroney and LT. Don't agree with Fitz and the 4th guy you mentioned. I'm curious as to why you think Fitz is better than Edwards. His arm is even weaker.

Fitz did pretty good with Cincy last year and I think the mindset for a backup is "I have nothing to lose." In addition, Edwards has proven absolutely nothing since he's been in the NFL. Fitz had 10 TD's in 10 games started last year. Plus he had over 300 yards rushing. I simply think he's a better QB than Edwards.

Is the point really to dismiss your opinion as being too tainted with bias?

Fitz did pretty good with Cincy last year and I think the mindset for a backup is "I have nothing to lose." In addition, Edwards has proven absolutely nothing since he's been in the NFL. Fitz had 10 TD's in 10 games started last year. Plus he had over 300 yards rushing. I simply think he's a better QB than Edwards.

+1

I'm starting BenJarvus Green-Ellis in my 16-team league. He has done nothing but produce whenever he has had a chance to run, and I think he will run right over the "red zone pirates" :dunno:

From Belichick's press conference yesterday:

Q: At the beginning of the season when you formulated the roster, was there a thought to go with just four or five backs and how did BenJarvus Green-Ellis factor in that mix?

BB: BenJarvus did a good job for us in preseason, but he did a good job for us last year, too. I think that carried a lot of weight, his performance in the '08 season. When he was called on – really at different points in time – both running the ball [and] catching the ball, pass protection. He does a real good job and he's been a factor for us in the kicking game, too, he's contributed there. He has a lot of versatility. I really think he can play on all four downs; he's not limited in any situation where he's just a first down back or just a third down back or just a returner or anything like that. He can operate in all those situations pretty effectively and he's smart and he knows what to do in all those things, too. It's not just the physical skills but mentally he's very good on blitz protection, blitz pickup assignments, formations, routes and things like that, which is hard. That's definitely a challenging part of an offensive system for our backs. He's done a good job across the board and it's kind of been like that since day one. He's been very impressive since the first time we had him here in rookie minicamp and then in the spring minicamps, kind of like how Gary Guyton was on defense. I'm not saying you don't expect anything… I mean, this guy was a good back, in a good conference, at a good school just like Gary Guyton was a good linebacker, in a good conference, at a good school, but they come in and start competing with your veteran players and even some of your younger veterans – second and third year guys – and they're right there with them or maybe even moving a little bit ahead of them and it catches your eye pretty quickly. From no experience and no big hype coming in, they show up here and start making plays and start doing a lot of things that guys who supposedly are more talent or supposedly have more experience, they're doing them better [and] it kind of catches your eye. I would say Gary and BenJarvus both fell into that category last year and have continued to improve and progress through the entire time they've been here. It wasn't just a one hit wonder, quick shot at it. They started fast and they built on it and built it to a very high level.

Finley was supposed to "blow it up" last week against woeful Detroit and only netted 50 yards. :doublethumbsup:

Mike Bell might be the Jeremy Maclin of this week. Start him but don't go overboard with your expectations.

I am benching Steve Smith for Collie. I cannot afford another 0 point day from this f'ng guy. :doublethumbsup:

Steve Breastmilk should have a good week if Boldin doesn't go

Preface this with acknowledgement that I own Maroney and will most likely start him.

Titans > Bucs from the coaching on down. If your point is valid about the Titans being outclassed, then Maroney will not have a good day; he'll FOCKING EXPLODE!!!! 175 yds, 2-3 TDs.

:BelichickwillgiveFaulkallthecarriesthough:

To desertfire: nice concept man. :thumbsup:

One point though; please include whether or not you own these players so we'll know whether you're unbiased (non owner) or dillusional (owner).

the only one out of that group that i see breaking out is LT.

steve smith can be as mad as he wants. delhomme still sucks.

maroney looks like a good bet to break out, but it's really not up to him. for all we know they will throw all game and then put BGE in there during garbage time. i am starting him in one league, but i can't really trust Bellichek. it's funny i actually remember typing that same thing last year somewhere. i think i ended up benching maroney right before the game and he ended up doing nothing.

fitzpatrick i could care less about. i don't think anyone on the bills will blow up this week. matter of fact, i think peppers will have fitzpatrick on his ass all game. i think peppers will have at least one strip sack and he might even take it in for a td.

I agree with your pick of Steve Smith. The only reason being.. that he's not supposed to. He's been a disaster thus far, so.... "the Gods of Fantasy WTF" will see to it that Smith puts up a huge week. Isn't that how this always pans out? As soon as every Steve Smith owner has given up on him and traded him for the likes of Johnny Knox he GOES OFF.

I don't expect Delhomme to force feed him the ball as you suggest. I expect Carolina to pound the run all day (because the Bills suck at stopping it) and when the Bills start to play the run hard, Smith will get behind the D and score a LONG TD. That's the way Smith likes to work. ...and that's what Delhomme will be looking for.

I hope.

My dilemma is starting Maroney over S-Jax...just can't seem to do it, even with the easy match-up in which they should be playing with a BIG lead...

What do you guys think? Would you start Maroney over S-Jax?

Mike Bell might be the Jeremy Maclin of this week. Start him but don't go overboard with your expectations.

Hurts to hear that. Picked up and started Maclin over Nicks and cost me the game. Here's to hoping that Lance Moore "blows up"

Preface this with acknowledgement that I own Maroney and will most likely start him.

Titans > Bucs from the coaching on down. If your point is valid about the Titans being outclassed, then Maroney will not have a good day; he'll FOCKING EXPLODE!!!! 175 yds, 2-3 TDs.

:BelichickwillgiveFaulkallthecarriesthough:

To desertfire: nice concept man. :doublethumbsup:

One point though; please include whether or not you own these players so we'll know whether you're unbiased (non owner) or dillusional (owner).

I own Maroney, just picked him up offer waivers. I don't own the others

the only one out of that group that i see breaking out is LT.

steve smith can be as mad as he wants. delhomme still sucks.

maroney looks like a good bet to break out, but it's really not up to him. for all we know they will throw all game and then put BGE in there during garbage time. i am starting him in one league, but i can't really trust Bellichek. it's funny i actually remember typing that same thing last year somewhere. i think i ended up benching maroney right before the game and he ended up doing nothing.

fitzpatrick i could care less about. i don't think anyone on the bills will blow up this week. matter of fact, i think peppers will have fitzpatrick on his ass all game. i think peppers will have at least one strip sack and he might even take it in for a td.

True but Delhomme sucked last year and he still put up good numbers. The QB's for Detroit sucked last year as well and Calvin put up really good numbers. We'll see..........

Anybody who likes Trent Edwards this week ought to be trying to acquire Lee Evans.

He was locked onto him virtually the entire game Week 6.

I half expected to see Trent braiding Lee's hair in the postgame lockerroom.

Anybody who likes Trent Edwards this week ought to be trying to acquire Lee Evans.

He was locked onto him virtually the entire game Week 6.

I half expected to see Trent braiding Lee's hair in the postgame lockerroom.

Edwards is out this week, we're talking about Fitzpatrick

anyone is better than Trentative Tardwards.

Steve Smith may get a touchdown...wouldn't be surprising...after Carolina ends up rolling up 300 rushing yards, they'll take a few shots to Smith... depends if Delhomme plays like Mark Sanchez.

anyone is better than Trentative Tardwards.

Steve Smith may get a touchdown...wouldn't be surprising...after Carolina ends up rolling up 300 rushing yards, they'll take a few shots to Smith... depends if Delhomme plays like Mark Sanchez.

I'm benching him for Hines and benching Pierre Thomas for Lynch - I see a big Lynch comeback official after this week. Watch Pierre and Smith go off.

Edwards is out this week, we're talking about Fitzpatrick

Oops, crossed synapses...anyway, if you watched Fitzpatrick last week, you know Lee Evans is a must start.