Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

And the Detroit Lions stand alone...

Detroit is now the only NFC team never to make a Super Bowl appearance with the Saints winning the NFC Championship yesterday. In the AFC, Cleveland, Houston, and Jacksonville are the only teams never to win the AFC...in the Super Bowl era of course.

The NFC has really been a mixed bag in recent years. While the Patriots, Steelers, and Colts have basically had a stranglehold on the AFC, look at the NFC Champs from the past 12 seasons....

1998- Atlanta Falcons

1999- St. Louis Rams

2000- New York Giants

2001- St. Louis Rams

2002- Tampa Bay Buccaneers

2003- Carolina Panthers

2004- Philadelphia Eagles

2005- Seattle Seahawks

2006- Chicago Bears

2007- New York Giants

2008- Arizona Cardinals

2009- New Orleans Saints

Twelve years...ten different teams. Interesting.

Well when you work as hard as they do to fock everything up they were bound to be the last dysfunctional team standing.

NFC 3-8 in Super Bowls (Saints outcome pending in 2 weeks) over that time frame. Guess it balances out all those years the NFC was beating up on the AFC back in the late 80's and 90's.

NFC 3-8 in Super Bowls (Saints outcome pending in 2 weeks) over that time frame. Guess it balances out all those years the NFC was beating up on the AFC back in the late 80's and 90's.

It does balance out. The AFC owned the 70's...and then the NFC dominated for most of the 80's and 90s. The first decade of this century (what do we call it?) was an AFC decade again.

The NFC won more than 10 in a row or something until the packers focked it up against the Broncos....that started the AFC run. No issues here though watching the packers get stomped :doublethumbsup:

the salary cap started in 1994. AFC leads 9 to 6, 9 to 5 if you discount the cheaty9ers

2008 XLIII Pittsburgh Steelers

2007 XLII New York Giants

2006 XLI Indianapolis Colts

2005 XL Pittsburgh Steelers

2004 XXXIX New England Patriots

2003 XXXVIII New England Patriots

2002 XXXVII Tampa Bay Buccaneers

2001 XXXVI New England Patriots

2000 XXXV Baltimore Ravens

1999 XXXIV St. Louis Rams

1998 XXXIII Denver Broncos

1997 XXXII Denver Broncos

1996 XXXI Green Bay Packers

1995 XXX Dallas Cowboys

1994 XXIX San Francisco 49ers (cheated the cap and got busted)

the salary cap started in 1994. AFC leads 9 to 6, 9 to 5 if you discount the cheaty9ers

2004 XXXIX New England Patriots *

2003 XXXVIII New England Patriots *

2001 XXXVI New England Patriots *

1995 XXX Dallas Cowboys

Fixed

Houston Texans, Jacksonville and Cleveland Browns Part 2 each have excuses since none of them had existing franchises prior to 1995.

Part of the deal to allow the Browns version 1 to move to Baltimore was that the Browns franchise history would stay in Cleveland. So officially the Ravens began in 1996, and the Cleveland Browns v2 have the entire Browns' history.

1995 XXX Dallas Cowboys

Broncos cheated the cap and got busted too.

And if you're going to talk about cheating...

2005 XL Pittsburgh Steelers *

1995 XXX Dallas Cowboys

Fixed for accuracy

Broncos cheated the cap and got busted too.

And if you're going to talk about cheating...

The Steelers should have a * ?

Detroit is now the only NFC team never to make a Super Bowl appearance with the Saints winning the NFC Championship yesterday. In the AFC, Cleveland, Houston, and Jacksonville are the only teams never to win the AFC...in the Super Bowl era of course.

The NFC has really been a mixed bag in recent years. While the Patriots, Steelers, and Colts have basically had a stranglehold on the AFC, look at the NFC Champs from the past 12 seasons....

1998- Atlanta Falcons

1999- St. Louis Rams

2000- New York Giants

2001- St. Louis Rams

2003- Carolina Panthers

2005- Seattle Seahawks

2006- Chicago Bears

2007- New York Giants

2008- Arizona Cardinals

2009- New Orleans Saints

This is the kind of insight that you just can't get anywhere else.....unless you read Don Banks on SI.com......

the breakdown of that list was also noteworthy.

4 times represented by the south division, by each team [other notable phenomenon is that the division winner for a few yrs was always the previous yr's worst place team].

4 times represented by the west division, by 3 teams [rams twice].

3 times represented by the east division, by only 2 teams [giants twice despite multiple philly chmp game appearances].

only 1 time represented by the norse division.

So it's prediction time. Who of the four teams to never play in the SB is the closest and will make it next?

I would rank them as follows:

1. Houston - good young offense and defense in place, almost made the playoffs this year.

2. Jacksonville - same as Houston.

3. Detroit - I only put them above Cleveland because of the relative weakness of the conference and division

4. Cleveland - it will be a loooooong time before the Browns are contenders. Pittsburgh and Baltimore are consistently tough teams, and Cinci, while having a recent history of suck are still better than the Browns.

I think Houston and Jax at least have a chance to make it within the next 5 years. Once Peyton starts slowing down, they'll have a better chance.

I live in WA and it is so comical to be here, every Seahawk fan is convinced they were cheated out of a superbowl:

newsflash: your team was never very good, you lucked your way to a super bowl through perhaps the worst NFC crop of teams ever assembled. Also, you lost by 11, you could only put up 10 points on the board, and you deserved to win? Your front office is a mess, two good hires for coach and GM but of course you've found a way to foul it up by giving your new HC more personel power than your GM... that makes sense. :bandana:

3. Detroit - I only put them above Cleveland because of the relative weakness of the conference and division

The NFC north is one of the best divisions in football. Do you really think that playing against GB, MIN, and CHI (who should be very good if Cutler pulls his head out of his asz) twice a year helps your road to the playoffs? :bandana:

The NFC won more than 10 in a row or something until the packers focked it up against the Broncos....that started the AFC run. No issues here though watching the packers get stomped :bandana:

Now using the Packers as an excuse to why the Bears lost to an AFC team in the SB?

BTW...Packers 3 SB trophies...Bears 1.

1998- Atlanta Falcons

1999- St. Louis Rams

2000- New York Giants

2001- St. Louis Rams

2003- Carolina Panthers

2005- Seattle Seahawks

2006- Chicago Bears

2007- New York Giants

2008- Arizona Cardinals

2009- New Orleans Saints

you rabble rouser :thumbsup:

The NFC north is one of the best divisions in football.

No it isn't, see above for a breakdown of which divisions sent teams to the SB from Fumble's list. Only one, da Bears, and they lost. Meanwhile crappy divisions like the West and South sent 4 each. Typical northeast bias. :music_guitarred:

No it isn't, see above for a breakdown of which divisions sent teams to the SB from Fumble's list. Only one, da Bears, and they lost. Meanwhile crappy divisions like the West and South sent 4 each. Typical northeast bias. B)

While I don't agree with the premise (the Bears and Lions consistently keep this division from ever rising to the top) you did cut off your "proof" right at the Packer's 2 Super Bowls.... :music_guitarred:

.....and having one team from your division get to the Super Bowl (not even win it, mind you) occassionally more than another division is hardly sound reasoning for top-to-bottom, year-in-year-out supremacy....

And northeast bias? Yes, we are northeast of you... but we are clearly midwest. The northeast bias works against us; not for us...

While I don't agree with the premise (the Bears and Lions consistently keep this division from ever rising to the top) you did cut off your "proof" right at the Packer's 2 Super Bowls.... :music_guitarred:

.....and having one team from your division get to the Super Bowl (not even win it, mind you) occassionally more than another division is hardly sound reasoning for top-to-bottom, year-in-year-out supremacy....

And northeast bias? Yes, we are northeast of you... but we are clearly midwest. The northeast bias works against us; not for us...

I didn't cut off "proof," I'm going by Fumble's OP with the past 12 SB reps. B) Also my bias point is that people like yourself wax poetic to the days of leather helmets when your division was relevant. Also you may consider yourself midwest, but to me you'll always be mideast. :wave:

I didn't cut off "proof," I'm going by Fumble's OP with the past 12 SB reps. :wacko: Also my bias point is that people like yourself wax poetic to the days of leather helmets when your division was relevant. Also you may consider yourself midwest, but to me you'll always be mideast. :wacko:

Counting this year...the North has been represented in the NFC Championship times

2009 - Vikings

2007 - Packers

2006 - Bears*

2001 - Vikings

1999 - Vikings

1997 - Packers*

1996 - Packers *

So take 13 years...and you have 7 times the North made it to the NFC title game and 3 times to the SB(those with the *). Go to 15 years?

1995 - Packers

So 8 out of the 15 years the North/Central was represented in the NFC title game

I didn't cut off "proof," I'm going by Fumble's OP with the past 12 SB reps. :dunno: Also my bias point is that people like yourself wax poetic to the days of leather helmets when your division was relevant. Also you may consider yourself midwest, but to me you'll always be mideast. :wave:

I don't think our division was our division when we had leather helmets...

I don't even think Minnesota was invented yet :wacko:

All I know is that the Packers have been pretty good over the last 18 years (Walter34's legal cut-off point) along with being pretty good in the leather helmet era and also the early Super Bowl era. I also think they will be pretty good for the next 18 years; but I am admittingly biased....

But wherever we are compared to you .... I think when you say "typical northeast bias" that has a definite connotation that does not include Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, etc.

Ask Redtodd -- that 97 percent of his act :wacko:

No it isn't, see above for a breakdown of which divisions sent teams to the SB from Fumble's list. Only one, da Bears, and they lost. Meanwhile crappy divisions like the West and South sent 4 each. Typical northeast bias. :wacko:

Are you stupid? Seriously. What does a decade of history have to do with next year's division strength? Project for yourself the wins of the top 3 teams in every division in football (excluding the lions becuase the statement was the lions have an easy run due to the easy division they play in); and you'll see how dumb you are. GB, MIN, & CHI will be very near the top.

Counting this year...the North has been represented in the NFC Championship times

2009 - Vikings

2007 - Packers

2006 - Bears*

2001 - Vikings

1999 - Vikings

1997 - Packers*

1996 - Packers *

So take 13 years...and you have 7 times the North made it to the NFC title game and 3 times to the SB(those with the *). Go to 15 years?

1995 - Packers

So 8 out of the 15 years the North/Central was represented in the NFC title game

With 4 divisions, if you randomly flipped a coin, you would expect a team from any division to be in the championship game 1/2 of the time. So congrats, given your cherry-picked window to go back far enough, your division is average. :wacko:

Are you stupid? Seriously. What does a decade of history have to do with next year's division strength? Project for yourself the wins of the top 3 teams in every division in football (excluding the lions becuase the statement was the lions have an easy run due to the easy division they play in); and you'll see how dumb you are. GB, MIN, & CHI will be very near the top.

Stupid? Like calling the Bears' prospects rosy? They have no top picks and a dead lineman to show for it, they are going to suck hard for years. Or that next year is the appropriate window for any of the non-SB teams to make the SB? None of those teams are going to make it.

Dumb? I live in a place which people actually want to move TO. If you don't believe me, go to a mirror and say with a straight face: "I live in Phoenix, but I really want to move to Detroit#@!"

Or that next year is the appropriate window for any of the non-SB teams to make the SB? None of those teams are going to make it.

You really are some kind of stupid. GB & MIN are both realistic picks to win the NFC next year, and I can guarantee you in a few months I could find at least a few experts picking either to come out of the NFC. Obvioulsy, they're both in the division you don't think is strong... :wacko:

You really are some kind of stupid. GB & MIN are both realistic picks to win the NFC next year, and I can guarantee you in a few months I could find at least a few experts picking either to come out of the NFC. Obvioulsy, they're both in the division you don't think is strong... :wacko:

By "those teams" I meant the Lions, Browns, Jags, and Texans. The teams which haven't been to a SB. Anything is possible of course, but if you are looking at the future, you need to look beyond next year. That becomes increasingly difficult to project. But hey, like you said, I'm some kind of stupid. Enjoy whatever shiothole midwesteast place you exist in. :wacko:

It does balance out. The AFC owned the 70's...and then the NFC dominated for most of the 80's and 90s. The first decade of this century (what do we call it?) was an AFC decade again.

If you want to sound like a nerd (like me, since I know this), you call them the, "Oughts."

But I just roll with, "The two thousands."

I live on the west coast; and surprising you don't realize it living there - Phoenix is one of the most depressed ecomonmies right now with one of the worst housing markets and it is expected that the 2010 census will show a DECREASE in population. 3 of my current employees have actually moved to my area from Phoenix in the past year in a half. You don't have a rediculous surplus in homes because people want to move to Phoenix...

While I don't agree with the premise (the Bears and Lions consistently keep this division from ever rising to the top) you did cut off your "proof" right at the Packer's 2 Super Bowls.... :overhead:

Who is holding who back?

Over the past 5 years, the Bears have the most wins in the division and are 3rd in the NFC behind only Dallas and the Giants.

East - 180 wins

South - 155 wins

North - 147 wins

West - 131 wins

The packers have a losing record and 1 division title. The Bears and Vikes have 2 each.

Detroit obviously and the Pack have kept the division mediocre.

2009 - Vikings

2007 - Packers

2006 - Bears*

2001 - Vikings

1999 - Vikings

1997 - Packers*

1996 - Packers *

1995 - Packers

Sho Nuff - this is pretty dumb...

13 years = 26 Championship teams, 4 divisions....Every division should get 6.5 teams represented in the 13 years.

Also - 13 years = 13 SuperBowl representatives, 4 divisions = 3.25 teams represented in the 13 years. So the division is JUST ABOVE average on NFC Championship teams, and actually BELOW average for SuperBowl representatives.

On top of that, they are just 1-2 in the SuperBowl...what a splendid point you make though Sho Nuff :doublethumbsup:

Houston Texans, Jacksonville and Cleveland Browns Part 2 each have excuses since none of them had existing franchises prior to 1995.

and the Cleveland Browns Part 1 did of corse make it to (and won) a Super Bowl - as the Baltimore Ravens.