Sign in to follow this  
bjlmonster

LT a Jet

KFFL reporting from Adam Schefter that LT has signed a 2year deal with the JETS.

Jets | Tomlinson reaches agreement on two-year deal

Comment (0)

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 15:15:43 -0700

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the New York Jets have reached an agreement on a two-year contract with free-agent RB LaDainian Tomlinson (Chargers). Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

For those in a desperate situation in keeper leagues, that have no other option than LT, atleast he has more value with the Jets than the Vikings.

But not by much.

So didn't they give him the same amount it would have cost to keep Thomas Jones? Dumb :doublethumbsup:

Yeah, not quite sure what the Jets are doing here. Cut one aging RB to sign one with even less tread on his tires?

Yeah, not quite sure what the Jets are doing here. Cut one aging RB to sign one with even less tread on his tires?

Why do teams constantly do this? Jones wanted to stay too. So ###### stupid.

Why do teams constantly do this? Jones wanted to stay too. So ###### stupid.

I thought from the get-go Jones would not re-sign with the Jets for less money. Maybe it's a pride thing. The Jets had to have known this, and that's probably the reason they didn't offer him the deal. The LT signing is basically insurance, and also to give the kid a breather once every few series. How much grief would that front office take if Greene went down and they didn't have a backup after letting TJ go? Plus signing LT, even in his weathered state, may sell a few season tickets.

CONGRATS JETS FANS.

You let TJ (Oh wait what's that - TOP 4 RB the last 2 years?! walk...for a ROSTER BONUS (or because you thought he was "gassed" (LMAO) at the end of THIS SEASON?!) for a what - re-vamped LT that will now compete for goal line carries (see:bench) between Greene and Leon?)

AND YOU THOUGHT YOU UPGRADED?

I'll thank you for this. At least Mr. Greene has SKYROCKETED into the early draft 10 teamer. Especially with those 2 backups.

/HAPPY PATRIOTS FAN.

/Yes you still have to beat us in the AFC East, Jets24. BRING IT! :mad:

CONGRATS JETS FANS.

You let TJ (Oh wait what's that - TOP 4 RB the last 2 years?! walk...for a ROSTER BONUS (or because you thought he was "gassed" (LMAO) at the end of THIS SEASON?!) for a what - re-vamped LT that will now compete for goal line carries (see:bench) between Greene and Leon?)

I'll thank you for this. At least Mr. Greene has SKYROCKETED into the early draft 10 teamer. Especially with those 2 backups.

/HAPPY PATRIOTS FAN.

/Yes you still have to beat us in the AFC East, Jets24. BRING IT! :mad:

Gosh, do you look to fight or something? No one in this thread has called it an upgrade. In fact, everyone is questioning the decision. Did I miss something?

Gosh, do you look to fight or something? No one in this thread has called it an upgrade. In fact, everyone is questioning the decision. Did I miss something?

Yes, you missed something.

The fact that I didn't feel like making another thread to talk smack.

OTOH, I loved TJ as a Jet. He has totally potentially TORCHED Charles's value (although Charles is now a good sleeper) but still - out of the first round in my eyes.

I still think the Jets will contend, but the **** talk is always fun. Esp. now that Patriot hating LT is a JET! :mad:

This pisses me off to no end. Looked like I had a pretty good situation owning Greene, once TJ got released. Now LT is gonna come in and start vulturing TDs.

So didn't they give him the same amount it would have cost to keep Thomas Jones? Dumb :rolleyes:

It would have cost them $5.8 M to keep Jones for this season only. They have LT for 2 years at $5.1 M. Once they asked Jones to waive his $3 M orster bonus, there was no looking back. Jones has a lot of pride and balked at the disrespect and I don't think the Jets could have brought him back, and frankly I don't think they wanted to.

Jones will be 33 and despite the fact that he was coming off his best season ever, a lot of that had to due with a very high number of carries and one of the best o-lines in the league. He left a lot of yards on the field and showed signs of slowing down. He's a smart, tough and hard runner but he's near the end of the line.

LT is 30-31 and still has his burst and lateral ability (jump cuts), but is not great after contact anymore. He should be able to do what Jones did behind that line, but will only be asked to handle likely 8-12 carries a game (imo) and be insurance for Greene. I think people will be surprised to see how fresh he looks behind a superior o-line.

Also let's not forget that the Jets have a lot more PSLs to sell and this is something that will create a buzz for a while.

It would have cost them $5.8 M to keep Jones for this season only. They have LT for 2 years at $5.1 M. Once they asked Jones to waive his $3 M orster bonus, there was no looking back. Jones has a lot of pride and balked at the disrespect and I don't think the Jets could have brought him back, and frankly I don't think they wanted to.

Jones will be 33 and despite the fact that he was coming off his best season ever, a lot of that had to due with a very high number of carries and one of the best o-lines in the league. He left a lot of yards on the field and showed signs of slowing down. He's a smart, tough and hard runner but he's near the end of the line.

LT is 30-31 and still has his burst and lateral ability (jump cuts), but is not great after contact anymore. He should be able to do what Jones did behind that line, but will only be asked to handle likely 8-12 carries a game (imo) and be insurance for Greene. I think people will be surprised to see how fresh he looks behind a superior o-line.

Also let's not forget that the Jets have a lot more PSLs to sell and this is something that will create a buzz for a while.

Whole lotta wrong in this post. Jones is only 31 and turns 32 in August. (only 10 months older than LT) Jones was also was willing to let the Jets match the Chiefs offer...less than what LT got.

I can't believe you seriously think LT has more left in the tank than Jones. Homerism at it's finest.

This pisses me off to no end. Looked like I had a pretty good situation owning Greene, once TJ got released. Now LT is gonna come in and start vulturing TDs.

I don't think so. Though he's gotten most of the goal line work for the Bolts, I've just never seen LT as a short yardage guy. I think he is insurance, pure and simple. It's a calculated risk that they could afford to take. Plus he'll spell Greene every few series. This is probably the role Jones would've had if he'd stayed. Like someone else said, this also may be about Washington. Dude IS coming back from a broken leg.

Yes, I have Greene on my keeper team. This situation is exactly why I drafted him last year.

Here is the real reason, besides money, that the Jets let Thomas Jones go. The Jets are going to start Shonn Greene and they know they couldn't just promote Greene and demote Jones as Jones would sulk. He was a big crybaby (behind closed doors) about all of the attention Favre received from the fans and media. Thomas Jones thinks he's a superstar and was humbled by the love Favre received.

Here is the real reason, besides money, that the Jets let Thomas Jones go. The Jets are going to start Shonn Greene and they know they couldn't just promote Greene and demote Jones as Jones would sulk. He was a big crybaby (behind closed doors) about all of the attention Favre received from the fans and media. Thomas Jones thinks he's a superstar and was humbled by the love Favre received.

Yeah, the Jets hate crybabys. That's why signing LT makes so much sense.

Are you kidding me? LT was absolutely awful all season in nearly all facets of the game. I think we all understand Jones is aging and his days are numbered, but at least he's shown he still has SOME days left, unlike LT.

Whole lotta wrong in this post. Jones is only 31 and turns 32 in August. (only 10 months older than LT) Jones was also was willing to let the Jets match the Chiefs offer...less than what LT got.

I can't believe you seriously think LT has more left in the tank than Jones. Homerism at it's finest.

Sorry I was mistaken on the age - I gave Jones an extra year (thought last season was his age 32 year).

The report that Jones was willing to let the Jets match came from one website that specializes in unsubstantiated rumors (PFT). I don't beleive that was the case from other stories I have read. Jones was not willing to negotiate a pay cut from all reports I read. He balked last offseason when they didn't extend him and he balked when he was asked to waive his bonus. I think once he was released, he was gone for good.

I never said LT has more in the tank - just that I think o-lines have a lot to do with RB production. Both are in decline, but Jones didn't appear to be as much in decline by people on fantasy football message boards because all they care about is stats. He left a lot of yards on the field and wasn't as fast through the holes as other backs on the Jets. He was a stat compiler last year. He had a ton of carries and opportunities. He did well with those opportunities.

I don't say that to disparage Jones. He's in tremendous shape and is a hard runner.

I also realize LT is not even close to his peak years. He's in delcine as well. I just don't think he's as far along as people think. He looked fast to the hole and still made his jump cuts to get around people. His problem was he no longer has his power and leg drive. He went down very easily on contact and rarely borke tackles or pushed piles. His high TD totals once he came back showed that he can still find the hole and squeeze through it. The SD o-line sucked - Sproles has a pathertic ypc as well as Tomlinson. On the other hand Shonne Greene averaged a ypc more than Jones.

I'm willing to bet that LT looks much better next season running behind the Jets line than Thomas Jones looks running behind the KC line.

It's a lateral move imo which saved money and creates a buzz where a team is looking to sell PSLs.

Are you kidding me? LT was absolutely awful all season in nearly all facets of the game. I think we all understand Jones is aging and his days are numbered, but at least he's shown he still has SOME days left, unlike LT.

Was surprised it took so long for someone to point that statement out.

LT sure didn't look like he had the burst last season...

CONGRATS JETS FANS.

/HAPPY PATRIOTS FAN.

/Yes you still have to beat us in the AFC East, Jets24. BRING IT! :thumbsup:

not many people are saying this is a good deal. Sounds to me like you are trying to bash the Jets in order to ignore the Patriots recent flurry of stupidly not keeping players because BB is stubborn and thinks he can plug in whoever to the system.

as far as the deal itself, its fine when you just look at it as signing LT... but it becomes a bad deal when you factor in that they let Thomas Jones walk. Most Jet fans realize it would have been smarter to pay TJ, keep him happy, and not mess with continuity.

but if we forget about TJ, I am fine with the signing. He is a capable backup to Greene and does do the little things well (block, catch, run routes)... plus you know they were thinking about the PSL's.

Sounds to me like you are trying to bash the Jets in order to ignore the Patriots recent flurry of stupidly not keeping players because BB is stubborn and thinks he can plug in whoever to the system.

Yes, obviously BB is stupid and stubborn when it comes to managing his roster, having only appreared in four SuperBowls in the last ten years and won three of them. :unsure:

Yes, obviously BB is stupid and stubborn when it comes to managing his roster, having only appreared in four SuperBowls in the last ten years and won three of them. :unsure:

how many key guys have they let walk/cut/traded since they actually won their last SB? you saying all that earlier success hasn't made Bill slightly stubborn in believing his system trumps all?

im not saying it matters that much but.... stones, glass houses, etc.

It could have been worse. They could have signed LJ.

S. Greene is the man. I wouldn't be too worried about LT, San Diego knew what they had in LT and let him go. Looks a Shaun Alexander clone.

LJ is pretty bad, I must admit.