Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

2010 NFL Draft Weekend Team Thread: Detroit Lions

they have a lot of needs. rb was one of them.

i more or less like what the Lions have been doing the past 2 yearsa and I really hope the franchise gets on track

but as an objective outsider I don't really like the Best pick. As others have mentioned, they could have stayed at 2.02 and if Best was gone (i dont think he would have been) they could have simply filled one of their many other needs.

Best is an injury prone back, which they already have one of. It was just a year ago that everyone was very high on Kevin Smith.

Would have rathered see them trade up for a CB, OLB or OL.

The Lions are constantly upgrading. They have to because they've had a revolving door with their coaches and schemes. Remember when Ernie Sims was a "serious upgrade"? Now he doesn't fit the new system and he's yesterdays news.

I live in Michigan, am a Pack fan, but I'm surrounded by Lions fans. I actually have Lions fans ripping me today since the Packers took a OT that wasn't as exciting as the Suh, Best picks. :unsure: It's as if they've won something real.

They do it every year......I just shake my head and feel sorry for them.

That is crazy. I'm a Lions fan, and I think Green Bay came out of the first round in great shape. Bulaga was projected as high as #5, with most mocks having him in the top 10. Green Bay got him at #23... they didn't trade up, didn't give up anything, they sat there and let the man fall to them.

I think the Lions are in the top 5 for draft grades so far... behind Green Bay.

i give the lions A+ so far with suh and best

another team could have traded up for 2.01 to take best, who is very possibly a better all-around back than spiller

Spievey..a nice physical corner. Thought they would've gone with the speedy Ghee but Spievey is a nice pick, they need another physical DB other than Delmas.

hoping Bruce Campbell falls to the Lions today

No such luck... OT Jason Fox isn't a bad consolation prize, although he's a bit of a project.

I am usual a realist when it comes to the Lions, but i think most of the pieces are in place for a playoff run within 3 years.

I think they will go 7-9ish next year. IF all key players stay healthy.

I am usual a realist when it comes to the Lions, but i think most of the pieces are in place for a playoff run within 3 years.

I'm curious as to who these peices are that will be part of the playoff run. Not trolling, just looking for specifics on who they are in your opinion. Overall, I see their situation as follows:

QB - Wait and see. Some flashes in his rookie year, but hasnt shown enough yet to know if he will get there or not

RB - Was a big need with Smith's injuries. Ok pick. We'll see if he takes the reigns and there is little quality depth behind him.

WR - Call it set. Burleson is mediocre but servicable for a #2

TE - Call it set with Pettigrew and Scheffler

OL - Biggest gap and an area that Detroit has perrenially ignored. Should have used one of the first 2 picks on upgrading this unit. Addition of Sims is ok, but he is mediocre at best from his time in Seattle.

DL - Biggest area of improvement. Good enough if Suh picks it up quickly

LB - Very weak group

DB - Delmas is strong and then a weak group.

Overall, the defence as a whole and the oline still need major upgrades for detroit to compete. They look better than the recent past, but are still a ways away from "contending".

Detroit fans should be happy with 5 or 6 wins and Stafford showing some progression towards a solid starter. That would be a successful season. In 2011 (if there is a season), pick an olineman with the 9th overall pick for God's sake.

I'm curious as to who these peices are that will be part of the playoff run. Not trolling, just looking for specifics on who they are in your opinion. Overall, I see their situation as follows:

QB - Wait and see. Some flashes in his rookie year, but hasnt shown enough yet to know if he will get there or not

RB - Was a big need with Smith's injuries. Ok pick. We'll see if he takes the reigns and there is little quality depth behind him.

OL - Biggest gap and an area that Detroit has perrenially ignored. Should have used one of the first 2 picks on upgrading this unit. Addition of Sims is ok, but he is mediocre at best from his time in Seattle.

LB - Very weak group

Overall, the defence as a whole and the oline still need major upgrades for detroit to compete. They look better than the recent past, but are still a ways away from "contending".

Detroit fans should be happy with 5 or 6 wins and Stafford showing some progression towards a solid starter. That would be a successful season. In 2011 (if there is a season), pick an olineman with the 9th overall pick for God's sake.

-The Qb sold me against the Browns

- The rb is wait and see

- Burleson needs to stay healthy

- I didn't quite get the Scheffler trade but he does cause matchup problems that aid Calvin. I think it's more of a slam on Pettigrew though.

This team made one big stride with this draft paird with the confidence this team now has in it's QB. Suh is a game changer all on his own!

- The rb is wait and see

- I didn't quite get the Scheffler trade but he does cause matchup problems that aid Calvin. I think it's more of a slam on Pettigrew though.

This team made one big stride with this draft paird with the confidence this team now has in it's QB. Suh is a game changer all on his own!

Understand the comment on Suh, but we say that about top 10 picks every year and generally half of them are not game changers. It's funny to watch how rookies are over valued every year for all teams. The draft has 30+ hall of famers every year and then when they put on the pads, its a growing pain situation and half of the top studs are flipping burgers or backups 5 years later.

With Stafford, he had a great game against Cleveland, but that was one game. The rest of the year was alot of rookie mistakes and health issues. I'm not saying he wont step up, just that it is wait and see and will take more than one win over a crappy Browns team to prove it.

There are 22 starters on the field and 30 more for depth. As far as peices in place, detroit has maybe 10 if you want to be generous. Not trying to be negative, just trying to understand a realistic view of where they are.

Seems most the posts have been realistic. I just see realistic strides, and have no doubts about Suh or Stafford. 5 to 6 wins would be a major step forward and that is a legit goal for the Lions.

Overall grade B-.

B+ if they drafted Okung instead of Suh. Just can't believe that they didn't protect the "franchise QB" with the best OT they could get. :cheers:

Overall grade B-.

B+ if they drafted Okung instead of Suh. Just can't believe that they didn't protect the "franchise QB" with the best OT they could get. :cheers:

When one player is considered to be one of the top defensive prospects in the last decade while the other wasn't even definitively the best player at his position, I think the decision is pretty easy... :first:

Now last year, why they took Pettigrew over Oher is beyond me... hindsight is 20/20 I guess

- The rb is wait and see

From what I've been hearing, Pettigrew's rehab may take longer than expected, and there are rumblings of a PUP list for the start of the season. Lions also want to run 2 TE sets, so I don't think trading for Scheffler says anything about his physical abilities, just maybe his health

the schedule is absolutely brutal.

you'd think they had won the super bowl or something with that schedule they gave them :thumbsup:

LB - Very weak group

I think you underate the defense too much.

our line went from mediocre to very good in a couple weeks. Vandenbosch is legit and Suh should play a big part, but the pick up of williams from cleveland is being undervalued.

As for the linebackers, nothing special but I think the guys there can make the basic plays. You could call it a weakness but it won't be detrimental.

DBs. Delmas looks for real and we picked up some guys to go with him. Also, with an improved d-line our secondary will gain that split second to their advantage.

I see betwee 6-8 wins and a lot of tough fought games. If our picks excel, or if best is special we could go 9-7.

As for three years from now, I fully expect the lions to be perenial playoff contenders; we are building something special here...

jdon

i love how walter has a "wait and see" attitude about stafford, but of course he's all over cutler's jock (you know, the guy who threw more interceptions last year that the rookie stafford).

not only did cutler throw more ints, it's pretty much indisputable he has a 10-cent head...in that regard, stafford is galaxies better than cutler moving forward.

by 2011 the lefebre (or however you spell his name) will be seriously challenging cutler for the starting gig in chi.

count on it.

the lions had a lot of holes this offseason and they still do. but it isn't as dire as walter would have us all believe. the linebackers lack depth but the starting unit is solid; the secondary also has issues but it has been upgraded (with more work to be done of course).

the d-line has been massively upgraded. that alone will help the other units tremendously.

no playoff prediction from me. their schedule is brutal. but aside from delusional packer fans, no opponent should be penciling in detroit as a "gimme" game this year. especially the bears.

There are no key players besides Megatron

I think you underate the defense too much.

our line went from mediocre to very good in a couple weeks. Vandenbosch is legit and Suh should play a big part, but the pick up of williams from cleveland is being undervalued.

As for the linebackers, nothing special but I think the guys there can make the basic plays. You could call it a weakness but it won't be detrimental.

DBs. Delmas looks for real and we picked up some guys to go with him. Also, with an improved d-line our secondary will gain that split second to their advantage.

I see betwee 6-8 wins and a lot of tough fought games. If our picks excel, or if best is special we could go 9-7.

As for three years from now, I fully expect the lions to be perenial playoff contenders; we are building something special here...

jdon

Agree with everything except the win total this year... with their schedule, I see a lot of close loses this year. I'd expect 4-5 wins, with a chance to reach 6-7.

i love how walter has a "wait and see" attitude about stafford, but of course he's all over cutler's jock (you know, the guy who threw more interceptions last year that the rookie stafford).

not only did cutler throw more ints, it's pretty much indisputable he has a 10-cent head...in that regard, stafford is galaxies better than cutler moving forward.

Maybe because Stafford threw 20 ints in only 10 games. 13TD's to 20 ints. Compared even to the pick machine Cutler those numbers suck.

the lions had a lot of holes this offseason and they still do. but it isn't as dire as walter would have us all believe. the linebackers lack depth but the starting unit is solid; the secondary also has issues but it has been upgraded (with more work to be done of course).

2 wins over the past 32 games is pretty damn dire.

And another offseason of them basically ignoring their Oline.

Maybe because Stafford threw 20 ints in only 10 games. 13TD's to 20 ints. Compared even to the pick machine Cutler those numbers suck.

stafford did exactly as predicted, which is show great promise and go through his rookie growing pains. all his supporters--me included--predicted more ints than tds. that was going to be a given.

thing is, can you chi fans say cutler played exactly as you thought he would?

i rest my case. you've lost the debate early on by having a debate between a rookie qb and cutler.

hope that makes sense to you.

cheers.

When one player is considered to be one of the top defensive prospects in the last decade while the other wasn't even definitively the best player at his position, I think the decision is pretty easy... :dunno:

Now last year, why they took Pettigrew over Oher is beyond me... hindsight is 20/20 I guess

I think protecting the QB outweighs the need to stuff the run. It easier to find a good DT than it is to find a Very Good LT. Basically it comes down to this: The offensive line is the most important unit on the team. If you can run the ball, you can controll the clock and keep the defense of the field. If you can pass block and give your qb and extra .25-.5 second of protection, you'll give your wr's more time to get open, again keeping you defense off the field and controlling the clock. Keep the other teams offense off the field and control the clock and you'll win more games.

I am not down playing the D-line either, they are the second most important unit on the field. They keep the blockers off the LB's and pressure the qb, relieving stress on the db's. I am not dissappointed with getting Suh, I just think Okung would have been a slightly better pick at #2.

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftlionsokung.php

I think protecting the QB outweighs the need to stuff the run. It easier to find a good DT than it is to find a Very Good LT. Basically it comes down to this: The offensive line is the most important unit on the team. If you can run the ball, you can controll the clock and keep the defense of the field. If you can pass block and give your qb and extra .25-.5 second of protection, you'll give your wr's more time to get open, again keeping you defense off the field and controlling the clock. Keep the other teams offense off the field and control the clock and you'll win more games.

I am not down playing the D-line either, they are the second most important unit on the field. They keep the blockers off the LB's and pressure the qb, relieving stress on the db's. I am not dissappointed with getting Suh, I just think Okung would have been a slightly better pick at #2.

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftlionsokung.php

the problem with drafting need over bpa is what exacerbated millen's idiocy (his lusting after wrs a huge exception, of course). especially in the marinelli era. cherilus, sims, dizon, that hawaiin dude, etc etc etc were all reaches where they were drafted and based on "need" at the immediate moment.

so you're saying the lions should have not taken the best player in the draft (suh) and the best defensive player (some say) to come out in the last DECADE and instead reached for a tackle at #2.

i get it but i don't agree.

in rebuilding, you start drafting consistently for need instead of bpa is going to pretty much guarantee you keep losing and never get anything off the ground.

the problem with drafting need over bpa is what exacerbated millen's idiocy (his lusting after wrs a huge exception, of course). especially in the marinelli era. cherilus, sims, dizon, that hawaiin dude, etc etc etc were all reaches where they were drafted and based on "need" at the immediate moment.

so you're saying the lions should have not taken the best player in the draft (suh) and the best defensive player (some say) to come out in the last DECADE and instead reached for a tackle at #2.

i get it but i don't agree.

in rebuilding, you start drafting consistently for need instead of bpa is going to pretty much guarantee you keep losing and never get anything off the ground.

I'm not really a "need" or "BPA" guy. I strongly believe that good, playoff caliber, consistent, winning teams, are so, because of their offensive lines. An above average O-line improves the team as a whole.

All skilled offensive positions are dependent on good offensive line play for protecetion, blocking and time.

Millen set the Lions back years drafting (reaching for) skilled position players. He is an unprofessional, idiot.

And another offseason of them basically ignoring their Oline.

The trade for starting LG Rob Sims doesn't count for anything? In the 4th round they drafted OT John Fox out of Miami who was considered a solid second round draft pick until he elected to have knee surgery to end his season 2 games early. He claims to be healthy and ready to unseat Jeff SackUs Backus in the not too distant future. They also signed G Trevor Canfield for depth.

So your statement is false. It has been addressed. You are not going to fix what was a complete wasteland of talent in two drafts. They ARE on their way back to respectability though.

The trade for starting LG Rob Sims doesn't count for anything? In the 4th round they drafted OT John Fox out of Miami who was considered a solid second round draft pick until he elected to have knee surgery to end his season 2 games early. He claims to be healthy and ready to unseat Jeff SackUs Backus in the not too distant future. They also signed G Trevor Canfield for depth.

So your statement is false. It has been addressed. You are not going to fix what was a complete wasteland of talent in two drafts. They ARE on their way back to respectability though.

What he said. Just because you don't over-reach for a player instead of taking the best Defensive prospect in 10 years doesn't mean you completely ignored OL. You can't fill all your holes at once. After Millen left the cupboards bare, it was a 3 year rebuild minimum.

Taking Okung would have been like when the Packers passed on Barry for Tony Mandarich because they needed OL and already had a Rb. Eh Sho Nuts?

What he said. Just because you don't over-reach for a player instead of taking the best Defensive prospect in 10 years doesn't mean you completely ignored OL. You can't fill all your holes at once. After Millen left the cupboards bare, it was a 3 year rebuild minimum.

Taking Okung would have been like when the Packers passed on Barry for Tony Mandarich because they needed OL and already had a Rb. Eh Sho Nuts?

oh. snap.!

I stated they "basically" ignored their Oline.

Sims is just another guy...he is a starter by default. Notice the Seahawks were willing to give him away and have their own Oline issues. The guys is simply not a great player.

Fox was considered a project no matter where he was taken. I like the kid...but that is a move for 2 years from now.

It has been basically ignored and I stand by that statement.

First off...it would not be overreaching to take Okung there...but I don't recall stating that is what should have happened over Suh.

Nor did I claim they "completely" ignored the Oline.

BTW...I think passing on Barry did suck. However, at the time, Mandarich was seen as the best OL prospect in some time too.

Sho Nuts? Wow...going to the recliner pilot school of lame insults? And you even get an oh snap from swamp dog...hah.

BTW swamp...yup, Im still sweating over the 4th quarter of the two games last year. Hah!!!!!

lol...you start going at it with sho nuts and he's the type of borish cad who has to have the last word.

probably does that here because he's pvssy whipped at home and can't there.

lol...you start going at it with sho nuts and he's the type of borish cad who has to have the last word.

probably does that here because he's pvssy whipped at home and can't there.

Poor swamp....how does it feel going through life wrong all of the time.

BTW...you tried the last word crap before...its your way of getting the last word...that way if I respond you claim to be right...if I don't, you get your way and nobody responds to your BS accusations.

First it was my wife tells me what church to go to...now, I don't get the last word at home.

Seriously, its time to stop trying to delve into my personal life...its getting a bit creepy that you are trying...though, laughable because you have not come close on any one of the attempted insults you are going for.

Its not my fault you are clueless about all things on this board and on the geek board.

I do like the kid from Iowa, at Iowa he was a lockdown corner and great against the tun. Teams did not throw much his way, he shoudl start this year fairly soon for the Lions