Sign in to follow this  
josh wiley

players from the same team

i have rodgers and finley and am definitely starting both. had it worked out in the draft i probably would have taken driver and started him as well. would that have been a stupid move or is it just that green bay has an embarrassment of riches on offense? anyone else have three or more starters from the same team and who are they?

i wouldn't hesitate to start 2 skill players from the same team (but no more than 1 wr in that grouping). i've done it quite often, actually. it can be fun--and productive--to have a good qb and his #1 wr. finley arguably isn't the #1...but i'd start those two and not think twice about it.

qb/wr; qb/rb; wr/rb and all combos i wouldn't shy away from...i might even make a rare exception for qb/wr/rb from the same team...but it'd be a rare thing (like manning/harrison/james back in the day, for example--the improbability of drafting all 3 nothwithstanding).

I started Brees, Colston, Saints D, Shockey, and the kicker for the Saints last year, I outscored my whole league by 200+ points. Didn't do it this year though, cause when you really think about it, it's pretty risky, cause if Brees went down, so did my whole team.

Great topic........

I'd say it depends on the positions but I'd personally limit it to two. I've had Warner/Boldin and it's fun watching them hook up on a long TD. It wasn't fun watching them blow mule up in New England a couple years ago. Like 3 points combined.

This year I have Finley and Crosby which I view as bitter sweet. Love to see Finley catch numerous TDs but want lots of long field goals too.

For what it's worth, a guy in my league started 4 Colts last year...Manning, Addai, Wayne & D Clark. He pretty much dominated the regular season and playoffs before losing in the championship game. It was amazing how many times all 4 of those guys would get 20+ each in our PPR league.

I don't really have a problem with pairing a QB/WR, or a RB with anyone. In fact I think it pays off if you can get a group of players on a top offense, as a few posters said, your team is going to go off more often or not.

The only combos I don't like are WR/WR and, to a lesser extent, WR/TE. They compete with one another for their points instead of complementing.

I've got Austin and Witten and I don't like it. I was targeting Finley (I have Rodgers, I don't mind pairing QBs up with RB/WR/TE) but he got taken 2 picks before me. I'm currently trying to work a deal for Finley.

I ended up with Flacco/Boldin and Roddy/Gonzo. It was an auction league, so players came and went and different times, and I was taking what was given to me. Flacco/Boldin isn't a stellar duo, but I don't think I'll get too hurt with it. I'm more worried about the Roddy/Gonzo pairing.

Starting Rodgers and Jennings in one league this year, Finley and Grant in another. It's risky, but can payoff big by starting 2-3 players from a high powered offense. I won my championship 2 years ago starting Warner, Fitzgerald and Boldin (when he was healthy).

Last year I had Schaub, AJ and Owen Daniels. Daniels went down, but fortunately for me I was able to grab Finle of the waiver wire. Got all the way to the championship but lost.

I've always been a big fan of the QB-WR double down- it's a great way to really set yourself apart from the pack if you can land a McNabb-TO (04) or Brady-Moss (07) type duo at the right slot values. Not that there's anything wrong with going 9-5 and making the playoffs, but fantasy season is just so much more exciting when you're 12-2. It sucks hard if you're duo lays a goose egg in the playoffs, but there's no foolproof strategy to win and a great combo will be on more often than not, so I think it's a sound strategy.

Drafted Kolb/Celek, and let's just say i'm thrilled. I suppose Kolb/Djax would be better, but its a PPR league and I think these two are going to be special for years to come. So short answer: if QB is reliable, I think QB/receiver of some variety (meaning WR or TE) is a strong weekly play. Definitely like Rogers/Finley.

I read an article (can't find it) on either football outsiders or pro-football reference that showed statistically that you will get more consistent scoring from WR/WR combos on the same team. The QB/WR combo leads to less consistent scoring week to week as you will end up with higher high scores when your WR scores and lower low scores when the QB throws to the other WR. I wish I could find the original article because I'm not doing it justice as it was a really good article.

I've got Gates/Floyd/Mathews and Ryan/White this year. Usually try not to do that, but ultimately I think you take the best players available and if they happen to be on the same team, so be it. Our league also awards a cash prize to highest scoring team each week, so the combinations may or may not help in that regard...

I read an article (can't find it) on either football outsiders or pro-football reference that showed statistically that you will get more consistent scoring from WR/WR combos on the same team. The QB/WR combo leads to less consistent scoring week to week as you will end up with higher high scores when your WR scores and lower low scores when the QB throws to the other WR. I wish I could find the original article because I'm not doing it justice as it was a really good article.

This makes sense, becuase chances are they both won't have a bad game during the same game. But there aren't too many 2nd WR's that you'd want to start every week.

Ochocinco/TO could be interesting, but some of the only other combos where both WR's are ranked around the top 30 (not counting TE's at the moment) are probably:

Moss/Welker

Jennings/Driver

Boldin/Mason

Nicks/Smith

Ward/Wallace

Those 5 would probably actually be decent combos because they each have one big play guy and one steady guy so you're kinda hedging your bets there.

I drafted out of the 11th spot in a 12 team .5 PPR league, with 6 points per TD.

What do you guys think of my squad? I kind of like of it but I've never had this many players from the same teams before.

I feel like Peyton/Addai could be a dangerous combination. I'm not super worried about White Gonzalez either b/c they might be the most targeted WR/TE tandem in the league, have a great schedule and should see less coverage with a healthy Turner.

QB: Peyton

RB: A. Foster

RB: J. Addai

WR: R. White

WR: M. Wallace

WR: T.O.

WR/RB: M. Forte

TE: T. Gonzalez

K:. Houstons Kicker

D: Dallas

I have done this numerous times.

Best combo that came to mind was having Mcaffery and Rod Smith of the broncos (back when Elway and Davis were there).

With my leagues scoring and their style of play. I learned early to start Mcaffery over Smith, even though Smith was the #1wr for that squad.

They were my #2 and #3 wrs.

However, I have been bitten hard by this too. Sometimes you see potential and that potential doesn't happen.

An injury, schedule, or time has gone by can knock you out with one quick feld blow.

I say, if you are heavy in your depth fine. But if at your starting positions. Then you need to be certain depth is good.

I had the opportunity to take Arian Foster in the 5th but ultimately decided to pass

I had Schaub and Andre already, and while I like Foster quite a bit I couldnt pull the trigger and went with SSmith (Car) and later took RBush as my flex ppr

In almost every league I'm in I try, if possible, to work a QB/WR combo from one team, but I really don't like to go beyond that. I have Cutler/Knox this year (Knox is my #4 WR) in one league and Kolb/Maclin in another, however, in that one, I also have McCoy from Philly. Maclin is at best my #3 WR, more like #4 there, but I figured that McCoy is going to get involved in the passing game similar to the way Westbrook was used (only not as good). Since it's PPR, it's still the double dip. I also have EManning/SSmith in that same league. If you hitch your wagon to a great offensive team, you can ride a long way with those players. Indy is a PRIME example...you can destroy people, right up until the FF playoffs when it backfires. So I do it, but I do it sparingly...

For what it's worth, a guy in my league started 4 Colts last year...Manning, Addai, Wayne & D Clark. He pretty much dominated the regular season and playoffs before losing in the championship game. It was amazing how many times all 4 of those guys would get 20+ each in our PPR league.

we had the same. he's a newer player, and asked me about it before the draft. i told him that it was an enormous gamble--his team would live or die on the colts offense every game--but that it would pay off huge when they had a good game.

he did it, and it worked out for him.

unfortunately for me, i had to play him on the playoff sunday that my starting QB (warner) scored negative points. i took the overall point title, but he won the league.

I've got Jennings/Finley and couldn't be happier. My son is in the same league; his first FF experience :wub: and he ended up with Brees, Colston, and Bush as a possible flex. I helped him some with the draft but didn't pay enough attention to his roster; I'd have guided against Bush because of his earlier picks, but honestly I can't strongly argue against it.

I have two pair: Grant & Finley and A. Foster & Andre Johnson. I don't think mathematically it matters all that much. You're drafting their point production, and that's not going to change whether they're on your roster or someone else's. At most, it makes you subject to wider fluctions in 'good days' and 'bad days,' depending on matchups. But it doesn't concern me. In fact, i was disappointed when Schaub nearly fell to me, too (I ended up with Rivers).

I have the following:

TEXANS

qb schaub

wr a johnson

wr jacoby jones

rb a foster

LIONS

qb stafford

rb best

I am confident in the texans this year and I like the lions offense to be better as well.

Once bye weeks come, I could start 4 texans on one week.

Do I look to trade any of the Texans?

I've got Jennings/Finley and couldn't be happier. My son is in the same league; his first FF experience :wub: and he ended up with Brees, Colston, and Bush as a possible flex. I helped him some with the draft but didn't pay enough attention to his roster; I'd have guided against Bush because of his earlier picks, but honestly I can't strongly argue against it.

If that was who you thought was the best player available there, then that's who you take. It's kinda dumb IMO to specifically avoid someone that you'd otherwise take just because they're on the same team as someone (or a couple guys) you already have.

For the past 2 years I've gone strictly on "best value" when drafting....no bye weeks or even position needs....little worried with my starters,...

Flacco, Rice....Grant, Jennings, Driver,...Charles///// bench Foster, Nicks, Mason, Rapist, Bradshaw, Mcgahee, R.Jennings