Sign in to follow this  
BLS

Detroit vs. Giants

I'm struggling this week with my survivor pool pick of the Giants to defeat Detroit.

The obvious pick is the Steelers this week, but they have a very soft schedule and could be used better later on.

on paper, the Giants should toast the Lions, but for some reason I can't get it out of my head that Detroit wins late in the game.

As a Jahvid Best owner and Sunday Ticket subscriber, I've watched every Lions game in it's entirety.

These Lions are NOT what we are used to seeing.

They clearly should have won week 1 vs. Chicago if not for the BS TD call.

Week 2 they gave the Eagles a run for their money (and they never gave up on the game)

Week 3 vs. the Vikings, they did not look very good to be honest, but neither did the Vikings. They did however get many turnovers.

Week 4 vs. The Packers they kept up the fight and really outplayed the Packers in the 2nd half, nearly ending my Survivor chances (GB wins by 2)

Week 5 they absolutely blow out the Rams. And yes, it's the Rams, but the point is deeper. This is what GOOD football teams are supposed to do. You destroy inferior opponents and scrape, scratch and fight for every inch against equal or superior talented teams.

Need more?

The Lions are TIED FOR 1st in the NFL in takeaways. (14) 7 are INT's, which ties them for 4th most in the league (Arizona, Chicago, Cincy, NE, San Diego and Tennessee also have 7)

The Giants are 2nd in the NFL for GIVEAWAYS (15, 8 of which belong to Manning's INT's).

The Giants Defense is giving up 19.6 pts/game

The Lions Defense is giving up 22.4 pts/game. That's less than a FG apart.

The Lions Offense is scoring 25.2 pts/game.

The Giants Offense is scoring 21.2 pts/game.

I think this game is a TRAP and the more I think about it, the more I DON'T like it.

NOW...that all being said, I'm not trying to convince YOU about this game. I'm hoping you'll convince me we made the right choice by taking the Giants instead of the Steelers. Calvin Johnson practiced today fully I heard so Megatron might be playing.

THOUGHTS??

If it was in Detroit I'd be more willing to bet on the dog. Detroit hasn't won on the road in ages. Calvin and Best are pretty banged up, Shaun Hill is still Shaun Hill and our pass defense is pretty bad. I think an upset is pretty unlikely unfortunately.

As you know, I'm a Detroit homer too...

I thought about it and I don't see any way that the Lions win this one. They are improved from past years and they pasted the Rams last week, but they haven't won on the road in 23 weeks I think. The G-men are coming off of back to back destrution of the Bears and Houston in the last 2 weeks and it looks like they're finally puting it together on offense and defense as well. The NY defensive line will be in the Lions backfield all day and I think that it will result in turnovers. This one gets away from the Lions early and NY ends up winning by 17. :thumbsup:

If it was in Detroit I'd be more willing to bet on the dog. Calvin and Best are pretty banged up, Shaun Hill is still Shaun Hill and our pass defense is pretty bad. I think an upset is pretty unlikely unfortunately.

Agreed, not on the road. Giants big :cheers:

If it was in Detroit I'd be more willing to bet on the dog. Detroit hasn't won on the road in ages. Calvin and Best are pretty banged up, Shaun Hill is still Shaun Hill and our pass defense is pretty bad. I think an upset is pretty unlikely unfortunately.

That's what I like to hear Mr. Powers. :)

I'm rolling with the Gmen in survivor but as a Best/Calvin owner, I'd love to see some points scored!!

I like Giants also. Gotta save Steelers for later. The other game I've been tossing around is Chicago at home vs Seattle. Can't see myself picking Giants after this week.

I like Giants also. Gotta save Steelers for later. The other game I've been tossing around is Chicago at home vs Seattle. Can't see myself picking Giants after this week.

That's my thinking too. Giants don't really have another home game(or another game) that seems like a lock.

I like Chicago over Seattle but I'm targeting them for Week 9 when they play Buffalo in Toronto(if I take them at all)

Lol...I'm a Chargers homer...I'm a Detroit homer...

I am seeing a trend Mr. Mobb.

Lol...I'm a Chargers homer...I'm a Detroit homer...

I am seeing a trend Mr. Mobb.

Haha, allow me to explain Mrs Henry...

I was born in the suburbs of Detroit (Livonia) and have been Lions fan my entire life. When I was about 8 years old I moved to Newport Beach, CA and became a Rams "homer" (The Rams played 20 miles down the street in Anaheim at the time). Then the Rams moved to St. Louis and the closest team became the Chargers, making me a Chargers "homer". I don't necessarily root for The Chargers, but they're my local market team.

That's why I call myself a Lions and a Chargers homer. In reality I guess I'm a Lions fan and a Chargers homer. :cheers:

Nate Burlesson as the #1 healthy threat? I think not. The Giants could win this game with their #2's in IMO. I'm starting Best, Bradshaw, and the NYG defense. I have great faith in Bradshaw and the def, but zero confidence the Lions will even score a td.

Nate Burlesson as the #1 healthy threat? I think not. The Giants could win this game with their #2's in IMO. I'm starting Best, Bradshaw, and the NYG defense. I have great faith in Bradshaw and the def, but zero confidence the Lions will even score a td.

...and Burleson is not even healthy.

I don't think it's a blow out because NY may be looking ahead to Dallas next week, but NY's defense should win it for them. Plus, even if Megatron plays, he's playing very damaged. Gmen should knock him out. After him, no one else scares except their TE.

NY by 10-14.

Appreciate all the input.

I'm clearly in the minority. Maybe I'm giving the Lions too much credit.

I just have an unnerving feeling that the G men are looking past the Lions and the Lions are scraping and fighting everyone.

Look at it this way...two weeks ago, who would you have ranked higher? The Giants or the Packers? Too close to call? Maybe the Packers?

The Packers BARELY won vs. the Lions AT HOME.

Nonetheless, I agree with the sentiment that the Steelers would be best saved for later. I also agree that there isn't another Giants game I'd touch.

However, there can't be a "later" if the Giants lose. Color me leery still.

Appreciate all the input.

I'm clearly in the minority. Maybe I'm giving the Lions too much credit.

I just have an unnerving feeling that the G men are looking past the Lions and the Lions are scraping and fighting everyone.

Look at it this way...two weeks ago, who would you have ranked higher? The Giants or the Packers? Too close to call? Maybe the Packers?

The Packers BARELY won vs. the Lions AT HOME.

Nonetheless, I agree with the sentiment that the Steelers would be best saved for later. I also agree that there isn't another Giants game I'd touch.

However, there can't be a "later" if the Giants lose. Color me leery still.

Difference is.......

The Giants WILL run the ball down their throats

The Giants have a qb that can see straight(SOMETIMES... :rolleyes: ), and he has some really good wrs, and a decent TE

Right now that GB team is nowhere near the team that folks pegged for the SB

Giants win....BIG

With all that said, Eli is a clown, nowhere near as clutch and sane as his better brother, and scares me everytime I have to play his dumbass because he could implode and screw me and his team over at anytime........so I reserve the right to retract my statements!

LMFAO

Difference is.......

The Giants WILL run the ball down their throats

The Giants have a qb that can see straight(SOMETIMES... :rolleyes: ), and he has some really good wrs, and a decent TE

Right now that GB team is nowhere near the team that folks pegged for the SB

Giants win....BIG

With all that said, Eli is a clown, nowhere near as clutch and sane as his better brother, and scares me everytime I have to play his dumbass because he could implode and screw me and his team over at anytime........so I reserve the right to retract my statements!

LMFAO

Pretty spot on.

Lions homer here and I'll say this. They are better than the record suggests. The turnover differential that the Lions have created is great and has kept them in the hunt every game, but dont expect that going forward though. The underlying fact is that they still make wayyyyyy too many mistakes on both sides of the ball (penalty wise) to expect to win games against quality teams on the road. If they can limit those pre-snap mental mistakes, they have a reasonable chance at an upset.

The strength of the NYG defense has been the ability to get to the QB. Surprisingly, the Lions OL has been much better at protecting the QB and this is the true test of this game. NYG DL vs. the DET OL. It will be a trenches game since Detroit's DL is much improved.

I wouldn't touch this game in survivor with a ten foot pole but to be honest, I don't see the Lions winning here. Pick the Lions to cover but that's about it.

24-21 GMen. <_<

I think the Lions are much better than their record...but I expect a let-down after a blowout win against the Rams. With Megatron gimpy and a dominant G-Men pass rush, I think the Giants roll in this one.

I think the Lions are much better than their record...but I expect a let-down after a blowout win against the Rams. With Megatron gimpy and a dominant G-Men pass rush, I think the Giants roll in this one.

It's hard to imagine a Lion's team "letting down" after winning a game. It happens so infrequently that to me, they could only benefit from the good feel and confidence that comes from winning a game. They haven't reached respectability yet. Not until they beat a good team at home or finally end their road losing streak. They have a lot to prove still and that makes them dangerous.

It's hard to imagine a Lion's team "lettig down" after winning a game. It happens so infrequently that to me, they could only benefit from the good feel and confidence that comes from winning a game. They haven't reached respectability yet. Not unitl they beat a good team at home or finally end their road losing streak. They have a lot to prove still and that makes them dangerous.

i don't buy the love this team is getting. i don't get it. yeah, you can look at the roster and say there's individual talent and that the talent is better than has been...but jesus christ, no team deserves to win anything making the undisciplined mental mistakes the lions make. it's just staggering all the various ways they invent to implode each week and fock themselves.

that, folks, is the sign of a shitty shitty team.

seriously, is there a sane lion fan anywhere still buying into the "moral victory" bs?

winning is winning. losing is losing.

the end.

i don't buy the love this team is getting. i don't get it. yeah, you can look at the roster and say there's individual talent and that the talent is better than has been...but jesus christ, no team deserves to win anything making the undisciplined mental mistakes the lions make. it's just staggering all the various ways they invent to implode each week and fock themselves.

that, folks, is the sign of a shitty shitty team.

seriously, is there a sane lion fan anywhere still buying into the "moral victory" bs?

winning is winning. losing is losing.

the end.

They clearly are more talented but you are right. They are some undisciplined SOBs and until they clean that up, they just won't beat good teams. It's a pretty good product to watch though. It's been unwatchable the last two years.

They clearly are more talented but you are right. They are some undisciplined SOBs and until they clean that up, they just won't beat good teams.

:dunno:

DET = DAL

:dunno:

DET = DAL

The Roy Williams effect? That's a nice call though.

I think Phillips is gone but I am a fan of Jim Schwartz. He's still a little green as a head coach and I think he's got a ways to go to get his players mentally into the game. Learning to win is a process and they just aren't quite there yet. This could be a dangerous team to play in the second half of the year if they start learning from the mental errors.

They clearly are more talented but you are right. They are some undisciplined SOBs and until they clean that up, they just won't beat good teams. It's a pretty good product to watch though. It's been unwatchable the last two years.

i will say though i'm looking forward to seeing the bears and packers come to detroit this year. got those two weeks circled on the calendar. let's see how da bears and da packers fair in detroit this year :cheers:

i will say though i'm looking forward to seeing the bears and packers come to detroit this year. got those two weeks circled on the calendar. let's see how da bears and da packers fair in detroit this year :cheers:

Det is finally looking like it's on the upswing, and they definitely look like they can hang with DaBears and GB, cuz neither of those teams have an OL or a running game.

I do think it's unfortunate that Shaun Hill got hurt, now they have to go back to Stafford, and I'm not sure Stafford is as good as Hill, regardless of Draft Position.....not only that but he's as delicate as a China Doll.

I respect the heck out of the Lions. They don't quit on a game.....ever.

My feelings exactly. It's a sign of improvement and they are buying into Schwartz's plan.

While the Gmen did look better than the Lions, they didn't look MUCH better. It was enough to win, but Detroit is no longer the doormat of the NFC.

I was sweating bullets yesterday when Burleson caught the first TD of the game.

Also, Jahvid Best does NOT look like the same guy who played the Eagles in week 2. He's killing my fantasy team.

POWER OF THE SCHWARTZ!

My feelings exactly. It's a sign of improvement and they are buying into Schwartz's plan.

While the Gmen did look better than the Lions, they didn't look MUCH better. It was enough to win, but Detroit is no longer the doormat of the NFC.

I was sweating bullets yesterday when Burleson caught the first TD of the game.

Also, Jahvid Best does NOT look like the same guy who played the Eagles in week 2. He's killing my fantasy team.

He isn't. On TV yesterday they said Best was battling turf toe in BOTH feet. Detroit has their bye next week so hopefully he can rest up.