Sign in to follow this  
Joey Gladstone

Tubby Rapistberger and the Stealers Strike again

Houston - well-reasoned, but the folks in here are going to hate the Steelers, and anything that suggests that they aren't somehow manipulating this behind the scenes won't penetrate their "thinking."

Gepetto - you're ridiculous. At least Gladstone has the really old bitterness that he keeps stirring in his cup to justify his irrational attempt to find every means to demean the Steelers. What's your issue? You refuse to discuss and debate Houston, even though he's answered every point. You prove only that you don't want facts, you want to hate.

Now, the play.

1) Watching the replay, my immediate observation was that the ball clearly came out (note that I had a better angle than the side judge) before breaking the plane. I'm also making this evaluation on two combined angles, a note that the more ridiculous of you should consider. The announcers got that part right, and Dierdorf is a knucklehead. The replay official needed both angles to ascertain the conclusive evidence that the ball came out.

1a) The second part that I observed was Ben looking at the ball sitting free in the endzone for almost a full second, during which time he reached forward and then pulled back, looking to his right. I'm guessing here, but I think he was looking over at the side judge with his hands in the air. Now, try putting yourself in that position. Would you go after the ball? Go ahead, say you would . . . liar. My point is that Ben had quick and easy access to the free ball with no impediment and no one close enough to challenge for at least 1/2 a second - an eternity in the high-speed NFL. Had he not heard the whistle, seen the line judge . . . do you really think he doesn't simply grab the football before the flying bodies get there a moment later? Come on now.

This alone really ought to be considered before you latch onto the "Miami got jobbed" thought.

2) Regarding the ruling afterward . . . if the whistle blows, the ball cannot be recovered, and you all know it. You're arguing in light of a feeling of injustice. I certainly get that, but reference #1a and pretend it's not the Steelers that you're discussing.

3) Let's deal with the "luck" factor. Did the Steelers get lucky? I guess so . . . to a point. Let's even - for the sake of your argument - pretend that 1 & 1a don't apply (see, I'll jump into absurdity for you). Let's even go so far as to say that the lackluster effort of the Steelers was simply because they are mostly lazy and sucky . . . on that last critical several seconds, and NOT because they thought the play was dead. BUT . . . let's just pretend that it wasn't the last play of the game, and that there was still 2:30 on the clock. Just pretend with me. I like to imagine what it could have been like if the Steelers had three time outs to use before the two minute warning, a run defense that stifles everyone, and the potential to get the ball back on the upper side of two minutes needing 40 yards to get into field goal range.

You're right. The fact that the play we're discussing was at the end of a 47-yard drive does not suggest at all that the Steelers could possibly do it again.

You're working awfully hard at this, guys . . .

I'd feel the same amount of being upset if the teams were reversed and it was Henne who fumbled before crossing the plane of the goal line.

Also, about your point about Ben hesitating, he said after the game his arm went numb and he though he might have broke it which may have caused him to pause, or maybe he paused because he felt he crossed the goal line, or maybe you're right and the ref signaled touchdown and he stopped. I tried to debate Houston, but he didn't answer my last post.

1a) The second part that I observed was Ben looking at the ball sitting free in the endzone for almost a full second, during which time he reached forward and then pulled back, looking to his right. I'm guessing here, but I think he was looking over at the side judge with his hands in the air. Now, try putting yourself in that position. Would you go after the ball? Go ahead, say you would . . . liar. My point is that Ben had quick and easy access to the free ball with no impediment and no one close enough to challenge for at least 1/2 a second - an eternity in the high-speed NFL. Had he not heard the whistle, seen the line judge . . . do you really think he doesn't simply grab the football before the flying bodies get there a moment later? Come on now.

This alone really ought to be considered before you latch onto the "Miami got jobbed" thought.

You'd have to be brain dead sorority jock that specializes in roofies to not get the concept of jumping on a loose ball whether a whistle has blown or not. I mean, they coach that from Pop Warner to the NFL. Ball on the ground. Jump on it. Duh. If Full Retard Ben doesn't understand that, it's time to bring in Old Man Batch. Shame on the refs. Shame on the Pittsburgh fans trying to justify this rape of common sense, like a QB might rape a cheerleader at halftime or like refs might rape a team from winning a Super Bowl just because they aren't from Pittsburgh.

I hope the entire Pittsburgh football team has the good taste to throw themselves collectively off a bridge. Because they are a bunch of fagguts.

Probably a bad call by the refs, but you can't blame the Squeelers for having a horseshoe up their asss.

Yea, I didn't state the rule correctly.

Question for you. How can the play be dead if hypothetically a Miami player would have clearly recovered it (hypothetically) after it was "dead"?

That's easy-there is not mention of a "hypothetical" fumble recovery in the NFL rules.

The play is dead when it's whistled dead (or made dead by a signaled TD). As I've posted several times, the Field Judge signaled a TD too soon, thereby "whistling" the play dead. It was a error, but not a "let's help the Steelers as part of the grand conspiracy" move.

If you can not see that a call like that shines a bad light on the NFL and their officiating crew, then I don't know what to tell you. IT WAS A BLOWN CALL!

Everything I stated is 100% accurate! You want to play semantics with your interpretation, like you're an expert or some sh!t. You're not! You're a tool on a message board who tries to act like he's a smart guy. Clearly, you are not! :cheers:

Except for most of what you stated was not accurate. Other than that, you're right. :rolleyes:

It was a bad call, but they happen. You're trying to make it seem worse than it is by mis-stating what happened, and (clearly) because you don't understand the rules.

That's easy-there is not mention of a "hypothetical" fumble recovery in the NFL rules.

A no, the hypothetical I was referring to is if Miami had clearly recovered the fumble in the endzone.

The play is dead when it's whistled dead (or made dead by a signaled TD). As I've posted several times, the Field Judge signaled a TD too soon, thereby "whistling" the play dead. It was a error, but not a "let's help the Steelers as part of the grand conspiracy" move.

I'm saying the play isn't really dead if it can be called a Miami (or Pittsburgh) recovery if replay had shown a clear fumble recovery by one of the teams based on a clear fumble recovery occurring after the play was signalled as a touchdown prior to a hypothetical clear fumble recovery by either Miami or Pittsburgh.

I believe in no such conspiracy theories.

It almost seems like people who are arguing didnt watch the game. The reason the official took so long reviewing the play was because he was trying to figure out if it was clear who recovered the ball.

Therefore, he obviously didnt give a sh!t if the whistle blew or not.. Not sure what is hard to understand about that.

:dunno:

It almost seems like people who are arguing didnt watch the game. The reason the official took so long reviewing the play was because he was trying to figure out if it was clear who recovered the ball.

Therefore, he obviously didnt give a sh!t if the whistle blew or not.. Not sure what is hard to understand about that.

Exactly. Well said. :thumbsup:

hmmm...the sun coming up, me getting the shatz after eating anything with jalepenos and Seattle's whiny ass fans. These are the things that can be absolutely counted on.

Anybody who knows football knew this was going to happen. It matters not who came out of the pile with the ball...the play was dead at the moment the refs blew the whistle, which was when they thought the ball crossed the goal in his possession. It clearly did not, but the logic is undeniable, as is the fact that you've become just as big a whiny-ass as your buddy Flahooker.

Sooooo...the refs agree that Ben didn't get in before fumbling. But say they couldn't tell who had possession of the ball? I saw the same replay angles they did and could tell that the Dolphins fell on it. I can also see that the Dolphin player stood up and handed the ball to the ref.

When in the history of football have they cared about who may have had it at what point in the pile? It's always who gets up with the ball. Except now, for some inexplicable reason.

So save your talk about whistles blowing and whatnot. The ref said they couldn't tell who came up with the ball. Everyone but them could. If the play was dead when the whistle blew, why does it matter who comes up with the ball? Because that was what the explanation was about. Not that the play was dead. Although I'd be focused on that argument if it was the only defensible explanation for that call and I was a Steelers fan as well. :dunno:

Also, why do we have this conversation so much? At what point does it start to seem odd that there are continued instances of strange or debatable calls involving one team? Any why are they always favorable to that team? To paint everyone who sees something weird as a 'hater' or as being bitter or whatever is ridiculous and a lazy attempt to discredit and silence any conversation about the topic.

I hate how all the announcers are calling him "Ben" and fawning all over him again. The man is a g0dd@mned rapist, you could at least week three or four weeks before acting like nothing happened! :angry:

The refs screwed up the original call, original hater posted as if Miami recovered a fumble. You don't know the outcome if the whistle isn't blown.

I love those who can know the outcome of plays that weren't allowed to proceed. and you know how the rest of the game would go with Miami having the ball with 2:30 left, up by 2 with the Steelers with all timeouts left and the 2 minute warning.

Do you have highlights of that imaginary finish to the game, I think it would be cool to watch. The technology involved must be terrific.

Glad I got a chance to respond before you deleted your post.

:thumbsup:

Sooooo...the refs agree that Ben didn't get in before fumbling. But say they couldn't tell who had possession of the ball? I saw the same replay angles they did and could tell that the Dolphins fell on it. I can also see that the Dolphin player stood up and handed the ball to the ref.

When in the history of football have they cared about who may have had it at what point in the pile? It's always who gets up with the ball. Except now, for some inexplicable reason.

So save your talk about whistles blowing and whatnot. The ref said they couldn't tell who came up with the ball. Everyone but them could. If the play was dead when the whistle blew, why does it matter who comes up with the ball? Because that was what the explanation was about. Not that the play was dead. Although I'd be focused on that argument if it was the only defensible explanation for that call and I was a Steelers fan as well. :dunno:

Also, why do we have this conversation so much? At what point does it start to seem odd that there are continued instances of strange or debatable calls involving one team? Any Nwhy are they always favorable to that team? To paint everyone who sees something weird as a 'hater' or as being bitter or whatever is ridiculous and a lazy attempt to discredit and silence any conversation about the topic.

Oh great, now the whining is spreading to Non-Hawk fans!!

"I saw the ball sitting right in front of me," Roethlisberger said. "One of their guys jumped on it, and it squirted between them, so I was able to grab it under the pile."

Roethlisberger said he cradled the ball in his right arm, but he conceded a Dolphins player -- Francis -- also had a piece of it.

"I'm not denying he wasn't holding onto it," Roethlisberger said. "How do you tell who recovered the ball?"

Even rapistberger said our guys fell on it. :thumbsdown:

Houston - well-reasoned, but the folks in here are going to hate the Steelers, and anything that suggests that they aren't somehow manipulating this behind the scenes won't penetrate their "thinking."

Gepetto - you're ridiculous. At least Gladstone has the really old bitterness that he keeps stirring in his cup to justify his irrational attempt to find every means to demean the Steelers. What's your issue? You refuse to discuss and debate Houston, even though he's answered every point. You prove only that you don't want facts, you want to hate.

Now, the play.

1) Watching the replay, my immediate observation was that the ball clearly came out (note that I had a better angle than the side judge) before breaking the plane. I'm also making this evaluation on two combined angles, a note that the more ridiculous of you should consider. The announcers got that part right, and Dierdorf is a knucklehead. The replay official needed both angles to ascertain the conclusive evidence that the ball came out.

2) Regarding the ruling afterward . . . if the whistle blows, the ball cannot be recovered, and you all know it. You're arguing in light of a feeling of injustice. I certainly get that, but reference #1a and pretend it's not the Steelers that you're discussing.

3) Let's deal with the "luck" factor. Did the Steelers get lucky? I guess so . . . to a point. Let's even - for the sake of your argument - pretend that 1 & 1a don't apply (see, I'll jump into absurdity for you). Let's even go so far as to say that the lackluster effort of the Steelers was simply because they are mostly lazy and sucky . . . on that last critical several seconds, and NOT because they thought the play was dead. BUT . . . let's just pretend that it wasn't the last play of the game, and that there was still 2:30 on the clock. Just pretend with me. I like to imagine what it could have been like if the Steelers had three time outs to use before the two minute warning, a run defense that stifles everyone, and the potential to get the ball back on the upper side of two minutes needing 40 yards to get into field goal range.

You're right. The fact that the play we're discussing was at the end of a 47-yard drive does not suggest at all that the Steelers could possibly do it again.

You're working awfully hard at this, guys . . .

and yet you fail to mention that even with the call standing as it did, the Dolphins still had over two minutes to move into field goal range and make the call moot... but they failed.

I just don't get it. Why must squealers fans act like they don't get all the calls? You guys do. Be proud of it. You got the win...tainted...but the win, none the less. Just admit you won because of a horrendously bad call and this thread can end.

I just don't get it. Why must squealers fans act like they don't get all the calls? You guys do. Be proud of it. You got the win...tainted...but the win, none the less. Just admit you won because of a horrendously bad call and this thread can end.

At least you're not biased. :unsure:

At least you're not biased. :unsure:

Yeah, I like the Redskins. I have clear reason to pull for the Dolphins and hate the Steelers. :rolleyes:

You don't get it. There was no telling what would have happened even if the Dolphins were given the ball at their own 20 as a result of that play. The Steelers still had all 3 of their time outs left. It certainly wasn't out of the realm of possibility that they stopped the Dolphins, got the ball back and scored to win it anyway.

This happens a lot in sports where everyone wants to focus on one call as being the ultimate deciding factor in the outcome of the game but it simply wasn't so. There were numerous other plays in the game that weren't influenced by the refs and thus were not controversial that ultimately had an equal part in determining the Dolphins fate yesterday.

You don't get it. There was no telling what would have happened even if the Dolphins were given the ball at their own 20 as a result of that play. The Steelers still had all 3 of their time outs left. It certainly wasn't out of the realm of possibility that they stopped the Dolphins, got the ball back and scored to win it anyway.

This happens a lot in sports where everyone wants to focus on one call as being the ultimate deciding factor in the outcome of the game but it simply wasn't so. There were numerous other plays in the game that weren't influenced by the refs and thus were not controversial that ultimately had an equal part in determining the Dolphins fate yesterday.

Yes, I agree. The Dolphins got screwed numerous times through out the game. When you bend someone over, you are not just going to thrust once and call it a day. Nooooooo. You go in and out and in and out and in and out.

Yes, I agree. The Dolphins got screwed numerous times through out the game. When you bend someone over, you are not just going to thrust once and call it a day. Nooooooo. You go in and out and in and out and in and out.

The point being is the Dolphins screwed themselves by not converting two Steeler fumbles inside the 20 early in the game but thanks for playing.

This is true. The call didn't necessarily win or lose the game for either team but that doesn't mean it wasn't a ridiculously awful call that helped in large part to give the steelers the win.

A no, the hypothetical I was referring to is if Miami had clearly recovered the fumble in the endzone.

I'm saying the play isn't really dead if it can be called a Miami (or Pittsburgh) recovery if replay had shown a clear fumble recovery by one of the teams based on a clear fumble recovery occurring after the play was signalled as a touchdown prior to a hypothetical clear fumble recovery by either Miami or Pittsburgh.

I believe in no such conspiracy theories.

Okay, here's the problem then. The rule doesn't say that a fumble recovery can be "created" on replay, only that a fumble recovery can be seen on replay.

IF the official can determine (during a replay) that there is CLEAR, CONCLUSIVE evidence that a fumble was recovered BEFORE the end of the play, than he can award that fumble recovery. Since it's difficult to know when the play is usually dead (when watching a replay) this can cause a team to gain possession during a review. However, in this particular case, while watching the replay, you can see the Field Judge signaling TD. At that point, the play is dead, just as if a whistle had been blown. It just so happens that in this particular replay, there was evidence of when the play was dead (a TD signal, not a whistle).

That's why possession could not be awarded to Miami, b/c when the signal was made, NO ONE had control of the ball.

It almost seems like people who are posting stuff like this don't know what the NFL rules are.

And, BTW, the replay took less than 2 minutes.

Okay, not a Steelers fan. I was posting in a thread that was (I thought discussing) an NFL play. I mistakenly believed that facts and logic were going to be used, not sophomoric attempts (Stealers, squealers, etc)at humor and intelligence.

The Field Judge made a human error with the early TD signal. After that, the rules were followed exactly right.

It's no difference than the Hoculi (sp) mistake in the Denver game 2 years ago. He screwed up, and even though it was clear that Denver's opponent (can't remember right now) recovered a fumble, because of the play being blown dead, their could be no fumble recovery.

Okay, not a Steelers fan. I was posting in a thread that was (I thought discussing) an NFL play. I mistakenly believed that facts and logic were going to be used, not sophomoric attempts (Stealers, squealers, etc)at humor and intelligence.

The Field Judge made a human error with the early TD signal. After that, the rules were followed exactly right.

It's no difference than the Hoculi (sp) mistake in the Denver game 2 years ago. He screwed up, and even though it was clear that Denver's opponent (can't remember right now) recovered a fumble, because of the play being blown dead, their could be no fumble recovery.

Don't give me that bullshit. The refs focked up multiple times on that play. So you're not a steelers fan? So what? At least they have an excuse to defend the call because they watched it through homer goggles. What's your excuse? You related to Gene Steratore?

Don't give me that bullshit. The refs focked up multiple times on that play. So you're not a steelers fan? So what? At least they have an excuse to defend the call because they watched it through homer goggles. What's your excuse? You related to Gene Steratore?

The Field Judge mad a mistake when he signaled TD too soon. After that, the rules were applied exactly right. If you don't want to hear that "bullshit," then you don't want to hear the truth.

Look up the rules, instead of just saying "the refs gave it to them." It may be a bad rule, in your opinion, but it was correctly applied.

BTW, if I need an excuse for explaining how the rules were correctly applied, what's your excuse for wrongly claiming the refs "focked up multiple times?"

The Field Judge mad a mistake when he signaled TD too soon. After that, the rules were applied exactly right. If you don't want to hear that "bullshit," then you don't want to hear the truth.

Look up the rules, instead of just saying "the refs gave it to them." It may be a bad rule, in your opinion, but it was correctly applied.

Whose alias is this?

Look at the elephant in the room. The NFL refs are terrible. Mistake after mistake, which are not being corrected via instant replay. Instead of focusing on fixing the biggest problem in the sport, you have the league trying to suspend players for flirting with hot chicks What the fock? Tomorrow, Goddell is going to announce he is suspending Steve McNair for 6 games because he died without league permission.

Look at the elephant in the room. The NFL refs are terrible. Mistake after mistake, which are not being corrected via instant replay. Instead of focusing on fixing the biggest problem in the sport, you have the league trying to suspend players for flirting with hot chicks What the fock? Tomorrow, Goddell is going to announce he is suspending Steve McNair for 6 games because he died without league permission.

Just look at how the Ravens won yesterday too. They strip the ball from the receiver after his forward progress was stopped for like 10 seconds. Awful officiating.

MIAMI -- Ben Roethlisberger and several other players waged an end-zone scrum for a loose ball so frantic the officials were unable to determine a winner.

With Pittsburgh trailing 22-20 and facing third-and-goal at the 2, Roethlisberger fumbled as he dived across the goal line on a quarterback draw. The play was ruled a touchdown as both teams scrambled for the ball.

After a review, referee Gene Steratore announced Roethlisberger fumbled before scoring. But Steratore said replays were inconclusive regarding which team recovered, and the Steelers were awarded possession at the half-yard line, allowing Jeff Reed to kick an 18-yard field goal with 2:26 left.

"I have to have clear video evidence of the team recovering the fumble," Steratore said after the game. "It is a pile of bodies in there, and you don't have a clear recovery."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/recap/NFL_20101024_PIT@MIA/steelers-take-advantage-of-call-edge-dolphins

To me this means he was actually looking for which team recovered the ball.

The Field Judge mad a mistake when he signaled TD too soon. After that, the rules were applied exactly right.

You are 100% correct, and the Miami coaches should've known that they couldn't recover a fumble after the play was blown dead on the field.

The first call was horrible but the NFL didn't rig the game to prop up a small market team, that's just retarded. :cheers:

STFU about it already.

Yeah, a bad call with an early whistle resulted in a 'What if' moment in a game.

Get over you focking whiners.

:lol:

Stop bringing up that the steelers were given another game! :cry:

STFU about it already.

Yeah, a bad call with an early whistle resulted in a 'What if' moment in a game.

Get over you focking whiners.

Let's ignore Mr Fugi throwing sand in the wrestlers face, and the folding chair that accidentally was found under the ring apron and used to knock out the ref and the opponent unconscious, and then a 2nd referee runs down from the locker room to count a 1-2-3 for the win. And the crowd boos and tosses beer in the ring.

You want to play semantics with your interpretation, like you're an expert or some sh!t. You're not! You're a tool on a message board who tries to act like he's a smart guy. Clearly, you are not! :cheers:

You are talking about everyone in this thread, right? Because none of us are NFL officals. Yes the original call was wrong. Human error. If what the NFL OFFICAL said was correct (they cannot award possesion unless it was immediate and clear after the bad call) then they got the review correct.

You are saying they don't know the rules, but they are paid to. You have never read the rulebook. That I know, because it is not public knowledge.

It almost seems like people who are posting stuff like this don't know what the NFL rules are.

And, BTW, the replay took less than 2 minutes.

I'll go ahead and chalk you up to someone who didn't watch the game. The official took time to explain that he couldn't clearly determine who established possession. Therefore your stupid fkn argument doesn't hold water. Does this make things at all any clearer for you? Some how I doubt it.

You are 100% correct, and the Miami coaches should've known that they couldn't recover a fumble after the play was blown dead on the field.

The first call was horrible but the NFL didn't rig the game to prop up a small market team, that's just retarded. :cheers:

I don't know which NFL you watch but they changed that rule a couple years ago. Correct me if i'm wrong but it was in light of the Ed Hochuli SD-DEN incident. If the play was blown dead but upon further review it was fumbled before the play should have been blown dead then if the other team clearly makes a recovery they are awarded the ball. Secondly the refs are stupid focks for not breaking up the scrum to see who came out with the ball even though a touchdown was called. The line judge signaled touchdown and Steratore ran to the middle of the field, turned on his mic and said "the play has been ruled a touchdown" all the while people are still fighting for the ball in the endzone. Steratore is a piece of dog sh!t who can rot in hell :wall: