Sign in to follow this  
fugoondo

Scandal in our leagues playoff game

Adrian Peterson owner was down by 1 pt. He's away from the computer and radio all day (driver for a delivery company), he gets home at 5:30 pacific time (10 mins before kick off), finds out AP is out.

At this point, the ball has NOT been kicked off yet. Sounds like ball was actually kicked off at around 5:40. He calls commish, to IR Peterson and add Gerhart to play for the win.

Commish gets the message, but does NOT allow the move...because game time is 5:30 according to NFL.

AP owner loses, his opponent gets a cheap win

Winning pot is $1400...so this is no small commish decision

I personally think that as long as the ball wasnt kicked off, the move should have been allowed. But a tough damn call for the commish

I would kill the commish.

Does your rules state lineups must be set within a certain minutes of kickoff?

That's rough, but it's not the commissioner's responsibility to track injuries and set lineups for owners who can't get near a computer. Peterson was ruled out at least 40 minutes prior to kickoff and a half hour before rosters get locked. The AP owner in your league should've been aware that he might miss the game and arranged to have someone else track the situation and change his lineup, if he wasn't going to be online all day.

Sucks for him but that's the way it goes. :cheers:

That's rough, but it's not the commissioner's responsibility to track injuries and set lineups for owners who can't get near a computer. Peterson was ruled out at least 40 minutes prior to kickoff and a half hour before rosters get locked. The AP owner in your league should've been aware that he might miss the game and arranged to have someone else track the situation and change his lineup, if he wasn't going to be online all day.

Sucks for him but that's the way it goes. :cheers:

I disagree.

Some people have situations where they can't be in front of a computer. This is one of those times. he called the commish, the commish needs to change the lineup. Unless he was too late with the change, because of written rules, he should be allowed the change.

edit.

I just read the situation again. he didn't have Gherhart on his roster? Then fock him? he had plenty of time to address his RB situation and add the backup RB. this is why he is a delivery guy, and not the business owner.

Gods and Clods

I couldn't find anything specifying moves before certain amount of minutes before kickoff

But during playoffs, can only add players if one of ur players gets injured. Have to make move thru commish. We can only carry 3 rbs.

I think most of the world thought ap was playing.

Again, I think he contacted commish in time...he even posted on league bulletin board before the ball was kicked off that he contacted the commish to make the move

Ultimately the responsibility is on the owner, but I think the key fact is that it was about 5-10 mins before the ball was kicked off the tee that he tried to contact commish. But, and this is what the commish is basing his decision on, is that at 5:30 pacific, the leagues in game match up showed game as being UNDERWAY. So there's that grey window between tv scheduled start time and actual kick off

This is a live draft league where we all know eachother. Not an Internet league. Can't wait until next years draft to see the fireworks!!!

Man, it's HIS responsibility to set his lineup. Like one poster said, AD was announced out at least an hour pre-kickoff because I was watching the pregame show. If the guy cared so much he either (a.) would've made sure he knew whether he was playing in a timely fashion; (b.) had someone monitoring his status for him; and (c.) been ready to plugin Gerhart if AD was out.

He did none of the three - he has no one to blame but himself. Dem's da breaks.

I disagree.

Some people have situations where they can't be in front of a computer.

I get that but with $1,400 on the line you find someone who can adjust your lineup for you, just in case. And Gerhardt wasn't on this guy's roster anyway, so now he's asking the commissioner to make roster moves and lineup changes 10 minutes before kickoff. If I were the commish my answer would be a flat "no."

That's rough luck but outside of wild circumstances (like hospitalization or something) there's no reason for commissioners to manage other owners' rosters for them.

I couldn't find anything specifying moves before certain amount of minutes before kickoff

But during playoffs, can only add players if one of ur players gets injured. Have to make move thru commish. We can only carry 3 rbs.

I think most of the world thought ap was playing.

Again, I think he contacted commish in time...he even posted on league bulletin board before the ball was kicked off that he contacted the commish to make the move

Ultimately the responsibility is on the owner, but I think the key fact is that it was about 5-10 mins before the ball was kicked off the tee that he tried to contact commish. But, and this is what the commish is basing his decision on, is that at 5:30 pacific, the leagues in game match up showed game as being UNDERWAY. So there's that grey window between tv scheduled start time and actual kick off

This is a live draft league where we all know eachother. Not an Internet league. Can't wait until next years draft to see the fireworks!!!

There's a 5-10 minute gap between when games "officially" start and when the ball is actually kicked off. This isn't anything new. Teams are supposed to announce innactives 1.5 hours before kickoff and I know for a fact this week that AP was ruled out 45 minutes before kickoff. I have a really hard time believing this owner didn't make it to a phone to contact the commissioner until 5-10 minutes before kickoff. It sounds to me like he forgot to make a roster change until the last minute and tried to cover his ass.

But even if he did contact the commish in time, so what? It's not the commissioner's responsibility to make last minute roster moves. The AP owner must have a friend outside of this league, right? Given that $1,400 is on the line he should've had a spouse / friend check AP's status before the game and make the necessary adjustments. He didn't, and now he's focked.

Lesson learned. :cheers:

Before the days of internet... roster changes were allowed in our league as long as the game hadn't actually started, granted that you were able to get ahold of the commish. As long as I could call the commish and he was also well aware the game hadn't started then it was cool. Obviously we didn't have any specific rules in place stating official game time, or any specific time before kickoff... If there is no specific rule in your league stating the actual deadline for roster changes, then that is the root of the problem. I feel your commish should honor the move if the phone call was truly made before the actual kickoff and he was well aware that the game hadn't started.

However now that we run our league through an online service (rtsports) we use the "official" game time as the cut off. There are usually delays between the "official" kickoff time and when the game actually starts, especially with the afternoon games. Now if there is a case where the owner can't get to the website, he can call or email. As long as the call is received or the email received date/time is before the "official" start time then the commish will honor the change and make the correction at his convenience. Usually in this case a memo will be sent out to the league explaining the late change so that there is no controversy.

As a long-time Commissioner:

If an Owner leaves a message or speaks to me before the time lock, then I will make a change for him, assuming all other actions are legal: meaning he could have made the move himself, had he been sitting at a computer. This means that there are no impeding waiver issues that would mean he does not have unfettered access to the FA in question. Gerhart, in this case, in a first come-first serve system that persisted through the whole play period. Or, as in this thread, there is a provision in the rules that a player can be replaced in the exact scenario at at hand: a late OUT declaration.

The deadlines for such changes are based on time, not the kick of a ball. The delivery driver knows damn well what the deadlines are in a league of this money-magnitude. I am sure $1400 is not chicken feed to him.

If the guy missed the timed deadline by one lousy second, or the waiver issue/rules are not crystal f-ing clear that the move is legal at the exact time in question, he gets nothing and eats it.

The deadlines in question are based on TIME for a reason. It is an objective system that is measurable with time-stamping. If 5:29pm PST is the deadline, and buddy missed it, there is no controversy whatsoever.

Think about it - if the move HAD to be done by the Commish, then the delivery driver is asking the Commish to break the rules: "please make this move for me, POST deadline". Reply: "No can do, muchacho".

Uggh...This is tough. When I first read this I was thinking that the commish did the right thing because this guy should of had Toby Gerhart on his roster and had someone monitoring the situation for him. I don't think the commish should be adding players to a team's roster on Monday night before kickoff.

BUT the above statement makes me change my mind. First of all, your league has some VERY restrictive rules. Why would you allow teams to only carry 3 RB's? I've seen leagues that only allow maybe 5 RB's (to prevent hoarding), but 3 is extremely restrictive. But to each their own I guess. That being said, it would be difficult to roster Gerhart when you can only have 3 RB's on your roster. You stated that the commish must make ANY IR moves and replacements. In which case, I'd say this move should be allowed because the commish was contacted before kickoff. The guy could of been much more proactive though and contacted the commish earlier in the day to explain his situation. If I knew I needed 1 point to win I would do everything in my power to make sure I had an active player in my lineup. If Peterson was questionable, I would of made sure someone was monitoring it for me.

Yep....$1400 on the line....I would have made sure I was in front of a computer or someone else was for me!

His stupid fault! If you want to be a team manager for a $1400 win line...then act like one!

Lesson learned is right. Tough damn call...either way, someone is gonna be bummed. The guy isnt complaining about it, he knows its his resonsibility, he tried to make it right as soon as he could, it was just about 1 minute too late!!

Yeah, during the draft you need to decide whether to carry 3 RB's and 4 WR's, or 4 RB's and 3 WR's. Odd rule I know, but just a little spin on the league I suppose. Power running squad or air attack I suppose. Adds an odd dynamic.

And guys, i work for the same company. We're not working for pizza hut!! :) Its one of the biggies, if you ordered something online, or sent something to mama...theres a 50 % chance we're the ones leaving it at the front door. We'll be able to afford the heating bill month to month

Merry Christmas everyone...thanks for the input. The varied opinions on here are about the same as every one in our league...

PEACE TO ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Fantasy Football is nuts

He should not be allowed to add a player at the last second. Isn't there something called waivers? If you have a questionable guy down 1 to possibly win $1400 you take the day off or drive to place with TV or radio to win that $1400. Drivers have radios,gps,cell phones. Call a friend, call 911 just get it done.

Unless your commish has previously made moves for people b/w scheduled kickoff and actual kickoff or clearly stated that it is allowed, I think you have to enforce your website's deadline. Even if your rules state "before kickoff," that can be interpreted to mean "before scheduled kickoff." Otherwise, you are making your commish's job a lot harder and exposing him to a lot of complaints (e.g. suppose someone calls him just before kickoff, but by the time he makes the move, it's time stamped after kickoff; it also gives the commish an unfair advantage, b/c he can make these moves w/o having to call someone).

However, there was a thread similar to this one last week, and I think most people felt the move should have been allowed.

For the record, I also find it very hard to believe that a person in this day and age cannot access a radio in a delivery vehicle.

Or a cell phone. I had a massive computer crash during fantasy baseball finals a few years ago, and I called my GF long distance and talked her through making changes to my lineup. She set everything perfectly, which is probably why I ended up marrying her :cheers:

So you have a $1400 pot and the AP owner didn't have Gerhart rostered in case AP got hurt? :rolleyes:

no kidding. Tell the AP owner to take some personal responsibility.

AP being inactive and Favre changing from Out to starting tells me that Leslie Frazier is going to cause FF owners problems.

Or a cell phone. I had a massive computer crash during fantasy baseball finals a few years ago, and I called my GF long distance and talked her through making changes to my lineup. She set everything perfectly, which is probably why I ended up marrying her :cheers:

I did the same thing from my seat in the stadium last year.

He stated that in his league you can not make any roster changes in the playoffs unless a player is on IR, and any moves of this nature MUST be made through the commishioner. This is an important point I think. The person could not just contact his friend, wife, girlfriend, etc., to make this roster change. He had to contact the commishioner, which he did before the game kicked off. Considering the rules of your league and the constraints involved, I think it would be only fair for the commish to allow this move. If he wants to make rules that make him the dictator on playoff roster moves, then he should be prepared to make last minute lineup changes when players become inactive. Just my opinion...

This is bullsh!t. The guy should be allowed to make this move. He called the commish and notified him prior to kickoff - that's all that matters; just like an NFL team would do. I know it's fantasy football - but it's also supposed to be fun, and wisdom dictates that a real team would NEVER play without an RB, so neither should this guy, considering the circumstances.

I have been a commish for many years in many FF leagues.

My opinion is not to be about technicalities. A friendly but competitive league should know that if he took the time to call to make the move before the game started and he did not gain any unfair advantage then the move should be made.

Commish is being a azz and the team that won because of this should be a man and allow it as to win that way is bs.

I have been a commish for many years in many FF leagues.

My opinion is not to be about technicalities. A friendly but competitive league should know that if he took the time to call to make the move before the game started and he did not gain any unfair advantage then the move should be made.

Commish is being a azz and the team that won because of this should be a man and allow it as to win that way is bs.

:thumbsup:

As a commish, all I want is for everyone to have fun, compete fairly, and be actively involved throughout the year. Our league has been together for 7 years....bunch of friends who just want a friendly, competitive distraction from everyday life. So far, folks have had fun and we haven't had too many issues. And the issues that have arisen, were squashed pretty easily.

Leagues with too many rules don't even need a commish. In that case, he's nothing but a figurehead who just points to the rules. Screw that. Make a tough decision and live with it...that's why you're commish.

Just the way I would have run things....but to each their own.

This is a live draft league where we all know each other. Not an Internet league. Can't wait until next years draft to see the fireworks!!!

If I had been the beneficiary of this ruling, and won the $1400, I'd have split the pot with the guy. You all know each other, right? Are you all friends, or do you hate each other? You can't wait until next year's draft, eh? Believe me, it's gonna be very uncomfortable there. Take some video and post it here.

Adrian Peterson owner was down by 1 pt. He's away from the computer and radio all day (driver for a delivery company), he gets home at 5:30 pacific time (10 mins before kick off), finds out AP is out.

At this point, the ball has NOT been kicked off yet. Sounds like ball was actually kicked off at around 5:40. He calls commish, to IR Peterson and add Gerhart to play for the win.

Commish gets the message, but does NOT allow the move...because game time is 5:30 according to NFL.

AP owner loses, his opponent gets a cheap win

Winning pot is $1400...so this is no small commish decision

I personally think that as long as the ball wasnt kicked off, the move should have been allowed. But a tough damn call for the commish

I put up a notice on the league board that if anyone needs to change lineups as long as its before kickoff and I have proof of a call, text, or voicemail - I will put that other player in.

Your commish sucks. I would've done it as soon as I could. If he would normally be able to add Gerhart and IR Peterson - I would've done that for him too. However in my own league everyone was locked up.

He stated that in his league you can not make any roster changes in the playoffs unless a player is on IR, and any moves of this nature MUST be made through the commishioner. This is an important point I think. The person could not just contact his friend, wife, girlfriend, etc., to make this roster change. He had to contact the commishioner, which he did before the game kicked off. Considering the rules of your league and the constraints involved, I think it would be only fair for the commish to allow this move. If he wants to make rules that make him the dictator on playoff roster moves, then he should be prepared to make last minute lineup changes when players become inactive. Just my opinion...

I think this is the right answer. However, if you guys are all friends, chop the pot somehow and clarify the rules for next year. Not a fun way to end the season, but there's no sense in seriously pissing off buddies over fake football.

Our rules state that the cutoff is 5 minutes before kickoff per Yahoo - not advertised kickoff, but ACTUAL kickoff and Yahoo is pretty good about the actual kickoff times. But if Yahoo has locked out the game then the player is locked out as well; I as commish will not intervene in that case. It's only happened twice in 11 years that people cut it that close and I always email both owners to explain what I'm doing and why a commish move will show up.

Our lineups lock 5 mins before scheduled kickoff, most sites do that.

also I wouldnt allow a change so that the guy could add a player from the wire, if anything he should only be allowed to play a player on his roster

I wouldnt allow a change so that the guy could add a player from the wire, if anything he should only be allowed to play a player on his roster

Agreed. Commish took call which is his own fault lol that's rule 1 as a commish, don't answer phone 5 min before kickoff :)

In our league the commish has ultimate power and can use his judgement on the fairness of a move. I am sure he would have allowed this move and most of the members of my league would have backed him as it is the fair thing to do. Especially since Peterson was such a late scratch.

I think this is the right answer. However, if you guys are all friends, chop the pot somehow and clarify the rules for next year. Not a fun way to end the season, but there's no sense in seriously pissing off buddies over fake football.

Totally agree. Until the ball has been kicked off the game has not started. Your Commish asked for problems by being the dictator and making everything go through him in playoffs / waivers / etc.

The game had not started, there was no unfair advantage, so the move should have been allowed.

So what happens if the guy tried at 2pm and Commish never answered his phone? Whose fault is it then? I agree the player should have been more prepared, but he did what he had to before the game started.

Yep....$1400 on the line....I would have made sure I was in front of a computer or someone else was for me!

His stupid fault! If you want to be a team manager for a $1400 win line...then act like one!

For $1400 I would have called in sick. Let's get back to taking responsibility for our own actions, or inactions.

Think your Commish likes having control much? My goodness, those are some crazy rules.

I would be looking to kill somebody if I wasn't allowed to make that last minute switch.