Sign in to follow this  
Walter34

Green Bay Packers @ Chicago Bears

In truth, as the wise Swamp Dog has pointed out, the Bears are one Calvin Johnson "non-catch" (if you can call a non-catch taking four steps, eating a hot dog and setting down the ball down after blowing through the Bears sad secondary) away from not making the playoffs all together...

Like the song says.... The Bears have a reputation that's mostly based on luck :pointstosky:

More accurately, the Packers are one Calvin Johnson "non-catch" away from not making the playoffs all together, because as you just established the Packers wouldn't have actually won week 17 had the Bears tried. Unlike the Packers, the Bears didn't need to rely on other teams quitting to make it.

More accurately, the Packers are one Calvin Johnson "non-catch" away from not making the playoffs all together, because as you just established the Packers wouldn't have actually won week 17 had the Bears tried. Unlike the Packers, the Bears didn't need to rely on other teams quitting to make it.

:wacko: He was making fun of all this poppycock about vanilla game plans.

But I guess it all came off as very sound and well-reasoned logic to a Bears fan! :lol:

:wacko: He was making fun of all this poppycock about vanilla game plans.

But I guess it all came off as very sound and well-reasoned logic to a Bears fan! :lol:

It's actually the most sense he's made in the entire thread.

i have to give the advantage to the packers in this game. i certainly don't think being on the road bothers them, given what they did in both philly and atlanta. plus rodgers is on a whole other planet right now. their entire team seems to be at peak right now. this will definitely be the biggest test for the packers in the playoffs, though (and for the bears).

i can't bring myself to trust cutler. just can't. for all his talent, if i'm a bear fan, i hold my breath every time he goes back in the pocket--either because he might get killed or he might throw a pick and/or doing something really stupid.

plus i haven't seen an overly negative weather report that might impact the packers passing game. i think the packers pull out a close one.

i think peppers and mathews are just as important in this one as are rodgers and cutler. those two should also be fun to watch this weekend.

but, hey, i've been wrong before! :overhead:

i have to give the advantage to the packers in this game. i certainly don't think being on the road bothers them, given what they did in both philly and atlanta. plus rodgers is on a whole other planet right now. their entire team seems to be at peak right now. this will definitely be the biggest test for the packers in the playoffs, though (and for the bears).

i can't bring myself to trust cutler. just can't. for all his talent, if i'm a bear fan, i hold my breath every time he goes back in the pocket--either because he might get killed or he might throw a pick and/or doing something really stupid.

plus i haven't seen an overly negative weather report that might impact the packers passing game. i think the packers pull out a close one.

i think peppers and mathews are just as important in this one as are rodgers and cutler. those two should also be fun to watch this weekend.

but, hey, i've been wrong before! :overhead:

Kiss of death :overhead:

No offense swampnicedog.

Kiss of death :overhead:

No offense swampnicedog.

Wait a second....

Now that Swampy is normal and rational, it's the opposite of the Kiss of Death....

It's a stone cold lock!!! :banana:

Wait a second....

Now that Swampy is normal and rational, it's the opposite of the Kiss of Death....

It's a stone cold lock!!! :banana:

Interesting theory - Bizarroswamp is throwing off the kilter of all that we knew. :blink:

I hate Peter King, but the broken clock is right twice a day

Peppers over Matthews

Harris over Collins

Revealing 2010 NFL awards ballot and all-pro team

For the past few years, I've been one of Julius Peppers' biggest critics. For a guy who is compared so often to Reggie White, Peppers, I thought, should be producing more than 10 sacks a year, which was his eight-season average in Carolina. And when the Bears signed him in March for, in essence, $1 million per game, I thought: They'll be disappointed in his production for that money.

Though Peppers had but eight sacks this year, he had a huge impact on a defense that went from 21st in the league in points allowed in 2009 to fourth this year; from 4.3 yards per rush last year to 3.7 this year; from 29 touchdown passes surrendered last year to 14 this year. He pushes the pocket. He buzzes around the quarterback. He makes other guys -- Israel Idonije, Tommie Harris -- better.

There's no question the return of Brian Urlacher at the pivot point of the defense has been a significant addition, but Peppers has been the most important reason the Bears have become the Monsters of the Midway again, and that's why he's my defensive player of the year.

I considered Clay Matthews long and hard for this award, and it was close. Midway through the season, Matthews was the guy. But then I saw Peppers beat a wounded Jake Long for two of his three sacks against the Dolphins, and saw how he pushed Bryant McKinnie around on the Monday nighter in Minnesota. He's the John Stockton of the Bears defense, the guy who makes everyone around him better.

That's the headline of my awards. Here's my ballot. Keep in mind that the playoffs mean nothing; the balloting is for regular-season play only.

Awards

MVP: Tom Brady, QB, New England. Stopped being a race when Mike Vick had his non-factor final two weeks.

Coach: Bill Belichick, New England. Narrowly over Raheem Morris of the stunningly 10-6 Bucs, because Belichick oversaw the revamping of his offense with a great personnel and coaching job, winning 14 games.

Executive: Scott Pioli, GM, Kansas City. Again, narrowly over the Bucs' Mark Dominik, whose team played 13 rookies in winning games at season's end. But Pioli's draft (strong character players and impact rookies), and the Chiefs winning the AFC West, gave him the edge.

Offensive player: Tom Brady, QB, New England. Hard to beat out a guy with 36 touchdowns against only four interceptions.

Defensive player: Julius Peppers, DE, Chicago. Matthews and Cameron Wake my 2-3.

Offensive rookie: Sam Bradford, QB, St. Louis. Played every snap and had a better season than Mark Sanchez (look it up), and still I strong considered Steeler center Maurkice Pouncey, who played like an eight-year vet from August on.

Defensive rookie: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Detroit. Ten sacks with the amount of focus and pressure that was on him? Amazing. Edged Devin McCourty. Though I have McCourty as one of my corners and Suh not on my D-line, Suh had a better year than McCourty.

Comeback player: (tie) EJ Henderson, LB, Minnesota; Michael Vick, QB, Philadelphia. Comeback player can mean coming back from anything -- injury, jail, whatever -- and I realize Vick was on the team last year and just didn't play much. I was solid on Henderson all along, but Vick's resurgence was so compelling and so great that I had to include him.

All-Pro Offense

WR: Calvin Johnson, Detroit; Roddy White, Atlanta. Sorry, Brandon Lloyd and Reggie Wayne. You're both deserving. I just loved the year Johnson had in scraping together 77 catches and 12 touchdowns with subpar quarterbacks throwing to him.

TE: Marcedes Lewis, Jax. Over Antonio Gates because Gates missed so much time.

T: Jake Long, Miami; Marshal Yanda, Baltimore. I went tough at tackle. Two warriors here, particularly Long, who played so much of the year with a torn labrum.

G: Ryan Lilja, K.C.; Rich Seubert, Giants. Seubert's here, edging Brandon Moore of the Jets, because I thought he had a superb year of versatility. Seubert started 7 games at center, so it is difficult for me to exclude someone who played 16 games at the guard position, but he was such a versatile fireman for the Giants, he definitely deserved a place on this team.

C: Alex Mack, Cleveland. Doubt this? Watch the job Mack did on Vince Wilfork in the Browns' beatdown of the Patriots.

QB: Tom Brady, New England.

RB: Arian Foster, Houston. Won the rushing title and caught the ball well out of the backfield. Even so, I thought long and hard about Jamaal Charles here.

FB: Ovie Mughelli, Atlanta. Blocks as well as any fullback in the game. Huge edge for Michael Turner.

All-Pro Defense

DE: Vince Wilfork, NE; Julius Peppers, Chicago. Wilfork played everywhere on the Pats' line, and played everywhere well.

NT: Kyle Williams, Buffalo. No other nose man is the combo pile-pusher and backfield invader that Williams is.

DT: Jonathan Babineaux, Atlanta. Love how he moves so powerfully through guard-tackle and guard-center holes. He's one of the long-overdue guys to get credit for the Falcons' defense.

OLB: Clay Matthews, Green Bay; Cameron Wake, Miami. Two tremendous pass rushers who don't take plays off. Pretty hard to not put Terrell Suggs somewhere on this team, but these guys, I thought, were two of the most dangerous rush 'backers in the league this year.

ILB: Lawrence Timmons, Pittsburgh. Represents James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley here. Could have picked any of the three. Love the way Timmons moves sideline to sideline and covers as well as any other inside 'backer.

MLB: Ray Lewis, Baltimore. Don't believe the hype that this is it for Lewis. He played great this year.

CB: Nnamdi Asomugha, Oakland; Devin McCourty, NE. McCourty makes it because Darrelle Revis was just OK for much of the middle part of the year because of his bad hammy, and because I thought Brandon Flowers had a so-so end of the year. Tramon Williams also very close here.

FS: Chris Harris, Chicago. Edged Nick Collins of the Packers. The Bear-turned-Panther-turned-Bear-again is a strong open-field tackler and had big picks against the Eagles and Vikes.

SS: Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh. Missed two games and had a couple in which he had little impact because of his ankle/Achilles issues. Still the most instinctive safety in football.

Let the arguments begin.

Yeah, it's almost as if penalties that cost the game are a part of Packer tradition. I guess when you commit a couple hundred of those over the years, one or two break your way.

you're really sticking to this theme, aren't you? :lol:

you're really sticking to this theme, aren't you? :lol:

Sorry, I'll let you guys relive the glory days of when one of the most dubious calls in NFL history allowed you to overcome the Bears for the first time in 9 tries.

Sorry, I'll let you guys relive the glory days of when one of the most dubious calls in NFL history allowed you to overcome the Bears for the first time in 9 tries.

Yeah... because none of the 47 times we've beaten you out of the last 57 times we've played since that game has been quite as satisfying... :lol:

Yeah... because none of the 47 times we've beaten you out of the last 57 times we've played since that game has been quite as satisfying... :lol:

I get that, unfortunately the NFL keeps scheduling the games for after we've already clinched bye weeks, and it isn't all that satisfying beating a team that doesn't care and has nothing to play for. Maybe Cutler will put on a Rozelle headband for you this weekend, so you can flash back to a time when the Bears actually took the Packers somewhat seriously.

Love the old lady at 5:50 showing her shirt that says the Bears suck.

And a nice DrJ/donhaas homer fight.

As for Peter King...as if he has any credibility...but Harris over Collins? Its close...but give me Collins every single time.

Collins has one less INT, more solo tackles, more passes defensed...oh, and is on a defense that ranks much better against the Pass.

Peppers over Matthews...maybe. But look at the Packer defense when Matthews was out. And Matthews had the numbers...plus helped open things up (since thats what we keep hearing about Peppers). I think both had great years though.

:lol:

I was at that game. The only people who would be correct about this being a dubious call would be those commenting on the original call on the field. Majkowski threw that ball before the line of scrimmage, and it wasn't that hard a call.

Oh: and pay attention this Sunday to why the Bears actually played all their starters a couple of weeks ago. They're about to care about that quite a bit.

:first:

:headbanger:

sorry, walter, no way does peppers win any award over matthews.

that's not a knock on peppers, who i agree has had a major impact on the bears defense...but come on.

Wisconsin's (un)educational system strikes again....

Um...do you really want to open a can of worms about the Chicaca Public Schools? :lol:

Wisconsin's (un)educational system strikes again....

DrJ with 2 names over here?

Funny, this was spouted over at FBG by DrJ.

And in response...rankings.

sorry, walter, no way does peppers win any award over matthews.

that's not a knock on peppers, who i agree has had a major impact on the bears defense...but come on.

It was just Peter King's take. Both are awesome. I'm more afraid of matthews than I am of Rodgers.

It was just Peter King's take. Both are awesome. I'm more afraid of matthews than I am of Rodgers.

Probably wise as the Bears have handled Rodgers pretty well.

Matthews and the D though have also rattled and handled Cutler well and seem to be able to cause the most havoc.

Probably wise as the Bears have handled Rodgers pretty well.

Matthews and the D though have also rattled and handled Cutler well and seem to be able to cause the most havoc.

How the Bears manage the blitz is crucial. They have seen enough of Woodson coming off the corner that they had better have a screen setup to beat it.

Terry McAulay has been named referee for this game

This is the one that saw through the packers cheating ways and called them for 18 fouls way back when. Expect another 10 false starts from Bulaga when he's lined up on Peppers. :pointstosky:

I think there is one solitary Bears fan poster here in the history of FFToday who is semi-rational and not a total insanely homeristic mouthbreather and that would be Tusekan Raiders....

That fact that he has not posted in this glorious thread leads me to believe that he knows what most football-knowledgeable people know -- the writing is on the wall for da bears... :(

i thought this was a very interesting take on both the packer and bear offenses by gunther cunningham of the lions. i had forgotten too that he and mccarthy have some history:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/01/detroit_lions_gunther_cunningh_5.html

Nice article...always liked Gunther too...heard him on radio often when he was down here with the Titans.

I think there is one solitary Bears fan poster here in the history of FFToday who is semi-rational and not a total insanely homeristic mouthbreather and that would be Tusekan Raiders....

That fact that he has not posted in this glorious thread leads me to believe that he knows what most football-knowledgeable people know -- the writing is on the wall for da bears... :(

I've been listening to Packer radio stations the last couple of days and I heard something very interesting. A lot of Packer fans aren't going to spend money and come to this game this weekend, they said they would rather save that money and buy Super Bowl tickets instead.

So if they lose on Sunday looks like they'll be spending their money on new farm equipment. John Deer stock about to go through the roof :pointstosky:

1-0

I've been listening to Packer radio stations the last couple of days and I heard something very interesting. A lot of Packer fans aren't going to spend money and come to this game this weekend, they said they would rather save that money and buy Super Bowl tickets instead.

That and Cheeseheads are geeked up about the potential of FINALLY winning a post season game in the Metroplex. :doublethumbsup:

That and Cheeseheads are geeked up about the potential of FINALLY winning a post season game in the Metroplex. :doublethumbsup:

'Tis true, sir.... but those Cowboys teams were no slouches and the Packers were not quite ready for prime time at that point... :cheers:

"The question is, did God create da bears and make 'em superior to all utter teams, or is He simply a huge fan and Ditka made 'em superior utter teams?"

"Lets just say that the winner shall be a certain team, from a certain Midwestern town that starts with a C, ends with an O, and in the middle is 'hicag"

I miss the good SNL days.

:cheers:

should be a good one.. i'm pulling for the guys in blue, obviously. I'm positive that this game could go either way and my stomach is in tatters waiting for this to just be over. Rodgers is scary, Mathews is scary, and more than that Dom Capers is scary. it comes down to how much energy the packers have left and if they can build a big lead. My hunch is if the bears are within a field goal at half time they have a big chance to win it. if not, I don't like the odds of Martz calling a game that keeps it close. I've got a lot of reason to think that this is going to be a bears win, but it will come off as homerism... mostly because it is.

I'm very happy that the game is Chicago v GB however as this is how it should be every year.