Sign in to follow this  
FlaHawker

It's an EXCITING Time to be a Seahawks Fan

Nice little tidbit from ESPN, we might actually get something for him.

Meh, I guess any pick would be a plus but no one is going to break the bank for an overpaid bust of a LB.

This is nice to read! :thumbsup:

Truly tough guys don’t have to brag about it

DAVE BOLING; STAFF WRITER

Last updated: October 6th, 2011 12:18 AM (PDT)

RENTON – If you watch closely, you can see young players grow from game to game, and you can learn more about them in weekly increments.

Against the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday, rookie Seahawks guard John Moffitt had one particularly illustrative play in the third quarter.

The Seattle offense had been struggling and the game looked out of reach. When a screen pass was called to running back Marshawn Lynch, Moffitt pulled to the right to clear the way.

That he was agile enough to get out in front of Lynch and get a body on a safety in the open field was impressive. That he absolutely clobbered the Falcons’ William Moore was another point to note.

After the hit, though, Moffitt slumped, and his dangling right arm was the earmark sign of a “stinger” neck injury. He returned to the line of scrimmage and dropped to his knees for a moment.

He was helped off the field, examined, and almost immediately was back at his position, which was the most significant development of Moffitt’s day.

Those who pay attention to the men who make their living on offensive lines in the National Football League come to realize that great careers aren’t always the monopoly of the most talented or physically gifted.

So much has to do with durability, the capacity to stay on the field week after week … in other words, being a big-time tough hombre.

I wanted to explore that with Moffitt, and use that episode to project him as a guy who fits that description.

And Moffitt would not buy into it.

“I only have four games under my belt, so I wouldn’t dare consider myself anything but a rookie,” he said.

By dodging the premise, Moffitt even more eloquently proved the point, because the guys who are really tough don’t need to go around telling people they are.

It was the perfect answer for a rookie offensive lineman.

Moffitt and rookie right tackle James Carpenter are expected to be around here a long time. They were named starters when they were drafted in April – Carpenter in the first round, Moffitt in the third.

General manager John Schneider saw in Moffitt an appealing combination of toughness and intelligence. In his 42 career starts at Wisconsin, Moffitt played almost 3,000 snaps and was penalized only twice and surrendered 31/2 sacks. Yes, one sack per 1,000 snaps is acceptable.

But Schneider had an even closer look at Moffitt as a leader when he was on the sideline before the Rose Bowl game between Wisconsin and TCU when he saw Moffitt pull the Badgers together and issue a fiery pep talk.

After the draft, coach Pete Carroll summed it up: “He’s got a great mentality about him that he’s not backing down. He’s a leader, a tough-minded, take-charge kind of guy.”

Without the typical offseason schedule of workouts to ease their assimilation into the league, both Moffitt and Carpenter have had to learn on the run and, as would be expected, it has not always been smooth.

Their improvement was obvious in the second half as they rallied to a narrow loss to Atlanta. The Seattle line put together its best game, keeping the Falcons from sacking quarterback Tarvaris Jackson in 38 pass attempts.

The massive Carpenter is not only finishing his blocks now, but at times driving his man into the turf. And the two are functioning better as a tandem on the right side.

“I’m getting more familiar with James, and that will come the longer we play together,” Moffitt said Wednesday. “I’m trying to focus on growing every week. I feel like I’m getting it and understanding things better and better.”

He said he has no effects from the stinger.

“The arm went numb, but that was it,” he said. “I’m fine, it was nothing. I knew it was going to be fine, so I went back in.”

OK, so maybe he only has four games to his credit as an NFL offensive lineman, but he’s already learned how to talk and think like one. And those are important early steps.

Dave Boling: 253-597-8440 dave.boling@thenewstribune.com

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/10/06/v-printerfriendly/1853752/truly-tough-guys-dont-have-to.html#ixzz1a1CDabn9

Well somebody got their mojo going. Opening drive on the road across the country and they march right down for a TD.

The Giant D sucks, but this is still something I'm unaccustomed to as a Seahawks fan.

Focking turnovers are bad! two fumbles inside the redone are letting New York off the hook. still, it's impressive how hard Seattle is going at these fairies.

Focking turnovers are bad! two fumbles inside the redone are letting New York off the hook. still, it's impressive how hard Seattle is going at these fairies.

The turnovers are gut wrenching.

I'm actually thinking this rebuilding stuff is starting to look promising. That defense is so much better than the last couple of years. It's stout vs the run. The safeties are outstanding and very young. Just need a franchise QB. I watched every second of the Stanford game last night, and I could not stop drooling.

What was the T Jax injury? Can we keep Whitehurst in the lineup?

Sweet win. St Louis, stick a fork in them. Arizona is done too. Unfortunately, we might miss out on a good rookie QB because we might win the division again. :wall:

Sweet win. St Louis, stick a fork in them. Arizona is done too. Unfortunately, we might miss out on a good rookie QB because we might win the division again. :wall:

If they keep playing like they did today (minus some of the penalties and careless turnovers) they'll definitely run the rest of the division.

Sweet win indeed; and you are correct. We will miss out on the franchise QB--again.

And some chicken-sh!t team like KC will.

Nope. The Colts will get Manning back next year and then let Luck sit behind Peyton for a year or two. :thumbsdown: <_<

Nope. The Colts will get Manning back next year and then let Luck sit behind Peyton for a year or two. :thumbsdown: <_<

Oh sh!t! Those queers lost that game?!?!?

Come on Goodell, do something good for once in your tenure. Do NOT let the Colts tank their way to another franchise QB!! :rolleyes:

Also, I have my cack out and waiting for Sweetness' next appearance. :wub:

Well, Andrew Luck, you would have looked good in a Seahawk uniform. Not gonna happen now. We have a division to win. Again.

Well, Andrew Luck, you would have looked good in a Seahawk uniform. Not gonna happen now. We have a division to win. Again.

Gotta say, I'm loving this rebuilding process.

The kids look pretty good out there. Even if the wins don't come. You can actually see things getting better with each game.

I'm almost wishing the season would end so I can see where we are next season.

Give me a QB on offense, a true shutdown Corner on defence, and an actual training camp to work out the kinks and Carroll's gonna have one hell of a team out there.

In an East Coast state of mind

JOHN MCGRATH; STAFF WRITER

Last updated: October 10th, 2011 12:20 AM (PDT)

Ding-dong, the jinx is dead.

The Seahawks’ 36-25 upset of the New York Giants on Sunday did more than prevent the 2011 season from skidding off a cliff. The victory dispelled, once and forever, the notion that a pro football team from the Pacific Northwest can’t make a three-hour adjustment of its collective body clock.

Until Brandon Browner’s 94-yard touchdown trip along the Seattle sideline sealed the deal at MetLife Stadium, the Seahawks had lost nine straight Eastern time zone games dating back to Dec. 2, 2007. It was as if the opening kickoff on the East Coast – typically scheduled for 1 p.m – found the visitors in a 10 a.m. state of mind, more appropriate for bagels and coffee than blood and sweat.

We tend to think the Seahawks are disregarded on the East Coast, but their history of Sunday-morning sickness was no secret.

“The Giants should lose no sleep over Seattle,” the New York Daily News noted before what it called “a nothing game against a nondescript opponent.”

Well, not entirely nondescript.

“This is a bad team,” the preview assured, “that doesn’t travel well.”

To be fair, pundits closer to home adhered to the same conventional wisdom: The Seahawks were a 1-3 team on the verge of falling to 1-4. And, no, they hadn’t traveled well.

So much for conventional wisdom.

Everything about the Seahawks’ victory defied expectations. They were supposed to be rattled by the time-zone change. Didn’t happen.

They were supposed to be deflated after failing to convert two certain scoring opportunities in the first half – one on a Marshawn Lynch fumble at the 11, the other on a Michael Robinson fumble at the 2 – except coach Pete Carroll does not buy into the physics of deflation.

The touchdown the Giants scored, a few seconds before halftime, was supposed to infuse the G-Men with a swagger once they returned to the field for the third quarter. That tangible momentum swing anticipated by Fox TV analyst Troy Aikman produced a third quarter in which the only score was Anthony Hargrove’s smothering of running back D.J. Ware behind the New York goal line for a safety.

Two points. Instead of swaggering, the Giants were staggering.

After Hawks quarterback Tarvaris Jackson was put out of action on a borderline cheap shot by safety Deon Grant, backup QB Charlie Whitehurst figured to run the offense in a plodding, stop-and-go mode.

Didn’t happen. Whitehurst operated the no-huddle attack as if he’d been handed the keys to the family van.

Meanwhile, Whitehurst’s veteran counterpart, Eli Manning, appeared poised to lead the Giants to another comeback.

“Reggie Jackson was known as ‘Mr. October’ in New York,” Aikman pointed out. “But the Giants have a Mr. October in Eli Manning.”

A graphic on the screen reiterated the observation: Manning’s October record as a starting quarterback was 21-4.

Before licking his chops at the prospects of facing a bad team that doesn’t travel well, Eli had rallied his team to consecutive victories over the Eagles and Cardinals.

A third straight comeback seemed inevitable.

Inevitable, too, was the looming human-interest angle of Giants receiver Victor Cruz, beneficiary of a fluke touchdown pass thrown into double coverage and seemingly batted away. A UMass graduate who wasn’t recruited by a single NCAA Division I program out of high school, Cruz wasn’t selected in the 2010 draft.

But when he lost his footing on the FieldTurf and couldn’t grab a potential game-winning pass – instead tipping it into the hand of safety Kam Chancellor, who tipped it again to Browner, who secured the ball and ran the other way for a touchdown – the human-interest angle of the day became undrafted Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin.

Five weeks into Baldwin’s first season, the Stanford product has assembled a portfolio that can be broken down into five words: Rookie of the Year candidate.

Baldwin, who looks like a guy with the wherewithal to excel in the NFL for a decade, never will be more open than he was when he pulled in a fourth-quarter touchdown pass from Whitehurst.

Defensive end Osi Umenyiora began his rush a half-second before the snap, allowing Whitehurst a shot at a free play. Amid the confusion, Baldwin sauntered alone into the end zone. His reception had the degree-of-difficulty of catching a ceremonial first pitch.

Remember when the challenge of completing a pass for a simple first down stymied the Seahawks in their opener at San Francisco? Remember when they barely broached Steelers territory a week later?

Remember when the prevailing conversation around the water cooler was: How bad is this team?

After a noble second-half comeback fell about 10 yards short against Atlanta, the Seahawks went to New York and scored a touchdown on their first possession. They scored 20 points in the fourth quarter.

They scored, effortlessly, when a backup quarterback connected with a rookie who wasn’t drafted.

How bad is this team?

Having solved the East Coast jinx, having dominated the Giants in a game the Seahawks could’ve won in a blowout, the water-cooler conversation now pivots to a more intriguing question.

How good is this team?

john.mcgrath@thenewstribune.com

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/10/10/v-printerfriendly/1858776/in-an-east-coast-state-of-mind.html#ixzz1aNzr6ray

Hey, where did Sweetness_34 disappear to? Oh, the Bears lost. Again. :pointstosky:

Sure does seem like many of the dolts that support other teams that like to post in this thread are suffering through disappointing seasons so far. It's a shame. Yep, a real shame.

Hey, where did Sweetness_34 disappear to? Oh, the Bears lost. Again. :pointstosky:

Sure does seem like many of the dolts that support other teams that like to post in this thread are suffering through disappointing seasons so far. It's a shame. Yep, a real shame.

Dolts, yes, they are dolts. Good word.

Rotoworld:

The Seattle Times reports that SLB Aaron Curry's contract is being restructured again as the prelude to an impending trade.

Curry's locker has been cleaned out at the Seahawks' facility and he was not at Wednesday's practice. The team is not commenting, but it looks like he's been traded. Carolina has previously been rumored as a possible landing spot. Curry was the No. 4 overall pick in the 2009 NFL draft. Stay tuned. Oct 12 - 3:36 PM

:pointstosky: :overhead: :banana:

And for what it's worth, this update was under a Raiders logo.

Rotoworld:

:pointstosky: :overhead: :banana:

And for what it's worth, this update was under a Raiders logo.

Jay Glazer's tweet

Sources on Raiders & SEA tell me they've agreed to a trade sending Aaron Curry, 4th pick in 09 draft, to OAK for pick this yr, 1 next yr.

So 2 picks...nothing firm on what picks they gave up for him.

With McClain hurt, it was the rumor earlier.

Jay Glazer's tweet

Sources on Raiders & SEA tell me they've agreed to a trade sending Aaron Curry, 4th pick in 09 draft, to OAK for pick this yr, 1 next yr.

So 2 picks...nothing firm on what picks they gave up for him.

With McClain hurt, it was the rumor earlier.

Yep, watching Schefter talk about it right now. Good Riddance! I'm shocked anybody was willing to give up anything for him after his performance Sunday, with the knowledge that he'd be a FA this offseason.

I was dead wrong about Curry.

I was leading the parade when we picked him. He has athletic ability off the charts. But, he doesn't seem to be instinctive out there. He tries to think instead of reacting. But, he doesn't strike me as being particularly bright, so I have no idea what that hamster running on the wheel inside of his head is trying to do, but it just isn't good. And ultimately, just based on his interviews and tweets, he lacked passion and was just too nice of a guy. You need some assh0les on defense. I really hate to give up on this guy and have him achieve elsewhere. Let me guess. We are going to get a 5th rounder and a conditional 7th for him. That sucks.

I was dead wrong about Curry.

I was leading the parade when we picked him. He has athletic ability off the charts. But, he doesn't seem to be instinctive out there. He tries to think instead of reacting. But, he doesn't strike me as being particularly bright, so I have no idea what that hamster running on the wheel inside of his head is trying to do, but it just isn't good. And ultimately, just based on his interviews and tweets, he lacked passion and was just too nice of a guy. You need some assh0les on defense. I really hate to give up on this guy and have him achieve elsewhere. Let me guess. We are going to get a 5th rounder and a conditional 7th for him. That sucks.

2012 7th and 2013 conditional 4th or 5th per Sando, not bad for that load of shite.

If you guys want a good laugh, go check out the comments on the Sando ESPN article. Raider fan thinks the Raiders stole Curry from us :lol: My god are these clowns clueless. Have fun watching this clown blow coverages and miss tackles. My favorite Curry move, though, is when he blitzes and runs directly into a RB and then gets either stoned or falls down. Crassic! :clap:

Just think how many blown coverages and missed tackles this deal saves the Hawks for the rest of the season :thumbsup:

LeBron to Seattle? :dunno:

So do we line him up at LEO? TE? or WR? Or all of them?

Do you seriously think Lebron is going to risk his health and $$$ he makes to play for a crapass team like the seahawks?

Curry's play never matched the pre-draft hype

By Jerry Brewer

Seattle Times staff columnist

Curry was polarizing almost from the start, and he was maddening near the end, but in his final three weeks, he was just lost.

In reality, Aaron Curry truly did possess unbelievable talent.

He was too good to be true. He was hailed before the 2009 NFL draft as the ultimate sure thing, a menacing, tough and athletic linebacker with a clergyman's character. He wasn't just going to be a star; he was going to be a community asset. Curry invited a 12-year-old leukemia survivor, Bryson Merriweather, to New York for draft day. And when the Seahawks took him with the fourth overall pick, Curry wept because he had secured a better life for his mother, Chris, who was once evicted from her home.

The Seahawks hadn't selected a linebacker. They had selected an incredible feel-good movie, and the expectation was that Curry's sequel would be even better. The franchise handed him a contract worth $34 million guaranteed before he played a down. No one blinked. It was a safe investment in a future Pro Bowler.

Now, two seasons and five games into a baffling career, Curry is an ex-Seahawk. For many, he will go down as one of the greatest busts in Seattle sports history. For everyone, Curry included, it was clear that his stay in town had lasted long enough, and his trade to Oakland elicits relief more than sadness or even anger.

He needed to go and start over with a new team. Curry was polarizing almost from the start, and he was maddening near the end, but in his final three weeks, he was just lost. He couldn't do anything right. He couldn't satisfy anyone, not even himself. He couldn't even tweet without incident.

His legacy is as unbelievable as his pre-draft hype now. On his Seahawks headstone, five words must be inscribed.

A most hazardous safe pick.

Safe pick? It might've been safer to abstain from picking. It's hard to believe that a prospect so good, so well-regarded and well-intentioned — so right — could turn out so wrong.

Hindsight tells you that Curry's value may have been inflated because his draft class was lackluster at the top. None of the top 12 picks in the 2009 draft has made a Pro Bowl. Only quarterback Matthew Stafford, the No. 1 pick that year, has flashed franchise-player potential. Perhaps, when draft analysts considered Curry the safest pick, they actually meant, "He'll only be a moderate disaster."

Curry had moments of brilliance in Seattle, especially at the beginning of his rookie season. But the more he played, the more his lack of football instincts and savvy became detectable.

The Seahawks tried everything to inspire better play from Curry. He played under two defensive-minded head coaches, Jim Mora and Pete Carroll, and neither could solve him. Remember how Carroll studied film of the linebacker before his introductory news conference in 2010? Curry struggled in almost every aspect of the job, and three weeks ago, he lost his starting spot to rookie K.J. Wright.

He's not a pass rusher. He overruns plays. He isn't good in coverage, doesn't seem to grasp the defensive scheme and can't utilize all of his speed because he's unsure if he's doing the right thing. He does, however, play the run well, especially when he's asked to overpower tight ends.

Overall, Curry has too many deficiencies for a high-profile player. So, the Seahawks have cut ties. General manager John Schneider didn't draft him; Tim Ruskell did. This front office isn't emotionally tied to Curry's success, in that sense. Even though Carroll and Schneider love his physical gifts and work ethic, they couldn't spend any more time trying to develop Curry.

The Raiders will try now. If Curry ever figures it out, he will be one of the most imposing linebackers in the NFL. He's a physical specimen, a quality person and a team-oriented guy, so it's too soon to consider him a lost cause. Maybe a fresh coach can get the best out of Curry. Maybe this humbling experience will motivate Curry. There's no greater wake-up call than having the team that drafted you end the relationship so soon.

But Curry is a 25-year-old linebacker at an easy-to-learn position. If he hasn't become an impactful player by now, he probably won't. Like Kansas City linebacker Derrick Johnson, a rare linebacker who went from bust to beloved, Curry would be better as a freewheeling linebacker in a 3-4 defensive scheme. Unfortunately, the Raiders, like the Seahawks, run a 4-3.

It's just another risky assignment for a most hazardous safe pick.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/jerrybrewer/2016486525_brewer13.html

O.k. fellas. Here's my homework so far.

This is a great year to want a QB. If you play dynasty ffball and need one, your in.

As far as Seattle goes. Their gonna have alot of choices, and not all of them have to vbe a #1 overall pick.

Here I give you as of right now, my top 5, with a honorable/not so honorable mention.

1A & 1B. Andrew Luck and Kellen Moore. Luck is who he is, and I need say nothing. Moore is I guy I just flat out love. He won't be a 1rst round pick (even if he wins the highsman) because GM's like measurables and he don't have them. Huge mistake!!!

#3 Robert Griffin. Thanks to Hawker for turning him in my direction. I love everything I see.

#4 Landry Jones. I have him here because of his potential, and I don't think he's a Jamarcus Russell or Vince Young. I think He's got their talent, without their 5 cent head.

#5 Kirk Cousins. Can be had later. Safe as safe can be. Think matt Hasselbeck or Mark Bulger.

Honorable/dishonorable mention.

Matt Barkley. I still don't know what to make of this cat. If Carroll sais he's the guy, this will mean alot. He's passed on Leinart and Palmer already so I think he knows what he's looking for (maybe).

But if we stear clear. I won't lose a lick of sleep over it.

I basically don't like the kid. But would trust Carrolls judgement.

* I also have knocked Foles and Tannehill off my radar completely. I don't believe either kid is worth their wait to turn the franchise over too for the next decade.

O.k. fellas. Here's my homework so far.

This is a great year to want a QB. If you play dynasty ffball and need one, your in.

As far as Seattle goes. Their gonna have alot of choices, and not all of them have to vbe a #1 overall pick.

Here I give you as of right now, my top 5, with a honorable/not so honorable mention.

1A & 1B. Andrew Luck and Kellen Moore. Luck is who he is, and I need say nothing. Moore is I guy I just flat out love. He won't be a 1rst round pick (even if he wins the highsman) because GM's like measurables and he don't have them. Huge mistake!!!

#3 Robert Griffin. Thanks to Hawker for turning him in my direction. I love everything I see.

#4 Landry Jones. I have him here because of his potential, and I don't think he's a Jamarcus Russell or Vince Young. I think He's got their talent, without their 5 cent head.

#5 Kirk Cousins. Can be had later. Safe as safe can be. Think matt Hasselbeck or Mark Bulger.

Honorable/dishonorable mention.

Matt Barkley. I still don't know what to make of this cat. If Carroll sais he's the guy, this will mean alot. He's passed on Leinart and Palmer already so I think he knows what he's looking for (maybe).

But if we stear clear. I won't lose a lick of sleep over it.

I basically don't like the kid. But would trust Carrolls judgement.

* I also have knocked Foles and Tannehill off my radar completely. I don't believe either kid is worth their wait to turn the franchise over too for the next decade.

Barkley is tricky. He has good stats, but he also has a dominant WR that he keeps throwing to.

Foles has no offensive line or anybody to throw to this year. Big mistake not coming out last year, but I'm not ready to write him off yet.

I want a closer look at Lindley from San Diego St. Is the beneficiary of having Rodney Hillman at RB, or is he a good QB. Plus he lost his WRs to graduation last year.

As luck would have it, both Barkley and Lindley are on TV tonight. Happy scouting to all.

The NBA owners are so going to destroy the players its not even funny. The funny thing is its about the owners themselves overspending themselves out of competitiveness who want protection from themselves. Sad fact but when the 100millionaires face off against the millionares the "poor" guy usually loses.

I saw OU/FSU game earlier in the season and Landry looked horrible, now he beats up on a bad Texas team and we are supposed to buy off on him being a top 10 pick? No thank you, Luck or a developmental guy in the 2nd and a stud corner/Dlineman in the first would be my preference at this point. We could actually use another LB too damn it. We definitely need to get a QB out of this draft to be the future of the franchise though.

One more random thought, is anyone else completely dismayed by the thought, "I hope Tavaris Jackson isn't hurt too badly, he was looking good out there and the team was responding." Never in a million years would I ever have considered it, I really thought it was Carrolls way of quietly going about suck for Luck. He could bag Tavaris/Bevell and start fresh without losing the team. I am genuinely pulling for Tavaris, after all the crap he had to put up from the media, favre it was nice to see him growing as a QB.

Last year Newton was the new Jamarcus Russell now he is a savior, wow the media and pundits sure got that one wrong. I feel a bit dirty because I would kill for him at QB but at the same time, don't like what he and his dad did in college last year.

It's more than a bit hypocritical of me considering all the dirt that has been dug up in the college ranks this year. It's looking more and more like thats just how college football is run these days. My only solace is WSU is too poor to pull off any of these stunts to sully our reputation, we just have to live down Ryan Leaf (and the rat bastard will not go away). Go cougs! :overhead: