Sign in to follow this  
RSersen

Burress a Jet

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/97658635055939585

Filed to ESPN: Plaxico Burress will sign with the N.Y. Jets. Confirmed. 1-year deal for $3,017,000, fully guaranteed. Plax is a Jet.

So what's his fantasy value now? Assuming as the #2 to Holmes? I'd have to think he'll have a bigger impact on the Jets than he would have in the more crowded WR corps of PIT or NYG.

I find all of the Burress attention a joke. Here's a guy who is 36-37 and hasn't caught caught a ball in two years! I think it lowers Santonio's value, but that's about it. No one has even seen Plax practice to know what he's got left in the tank. Let someone else overpay on draft day just like the Jets just did. $3,000,000???!!! Really?

I find all of the Burress attention a joke. Here's a guy who is 36-37 and hasn't caught caught a ball in two years! I think it lowers Santonio's value, but that's about it. No one has even seen Plax practice to know what he's got left in the tank. Let someone else overpay on draft day just like the Jets just did. $3,000,000???!!! Really?

He'll be 34 next month. I don't think it lowers Holmes; if anything it should free him up from the constant double-teams he was sure to get with Cotchery as the #2 (assuming Plax can beat out Cotchery). Might lower Santonio's TD totals though, since I can see Burress being a more favored red zone target.

I can see Burress getting four or five touchdowns on two-yard end zone fade patterns. Totally worthless otherwise.

This says a lot about what teams are thinking about Randy Moss? Burress, a 34 year old guy who hasn't played in two years, hasn't practiced being signed before a guy who has played (albeit like crap last year) and been active.

I think Moss still has value, more then Burress, whoever signs moss will get more production out him then the Jets out of Plax. It's a JC guarantee!

I kinda agree with your thinking on this -40-500 seems like what his stats will be. Maybe a few extra TDs cause he is tall and can out jump people.

I'm from the NY/NJ area so once Seattle left the AFC, the Jets have been my AFC team - so go Jets!

The one thing I think that could give Plax some viability is that for the first time in his career he has something to really play for - his last chance at a decent contract. If he doesn't put up at least decent numbers, he will have no shot at signing any kind of decent contract next year...

He is coming out of prison. So he has practice in holding on to balls. I suspect he won't be dropping to many balls. After that... No idea.

hate this signing. ugh

I would think he is in good shape and i like that he is a nice big redzone target for Sanchez but other than that, I would have preferred the younger, more talented Edwards.

He is coming out of prison. So he has practice in holding on to balls. I suspect he won't be dropping to many balls. After that... No idea.

I heard a lot of balls bounced off his face. :banana:

I wouldn't expect too much out of Plax. He was slowing down his last year with the Giants before prison. Two years older and away can't help. Plus the Jets aren't exactly a pass happy team.

hate this signing. ugh

I would think he is in good shape and i like that he is a nice big redzone target for Sanchez but other than that, I would have preferred the younger, more talented Edwards.

not a huge fan of the signing either but braylon would be a lot pricier, and not available on a 1 year deal. They've got to use some cap cash to get cro signed up for a few years. I don't think it's terrible. Jet's game is not exactly chucking the ball 40 times, we'll be fine. Santonio is the primary receiver, after that we can plug in some servicable dudes and be just fine. I think plax will earn his 3 mil, and next year we either pick up a FA, or grab a decent rookie in the draft. Being that money is a variable here, it works pretty well I think. TIme will tell. You never know, he might just surprise a lot of people too, I think there is a decent ceiling there...

The one thing I think that could give Plax some viability is that for the first time in his career he has something to really play for - his last chance at a decent contract. If he doesn't put up at least decent numbers, he will have no shot at signing any kind of decent contract next year...

Would anyone really give a 35 year old WR a multi-year contract with decent money?

Let's get this thing straight...he's a 34 year old WR who has NO mileage on him over the last two and a half years. He's big and physical and really hasn't had much in the way of injuries over his career. He's been working out with WR buddies and is supposed to be in phenomenal shape. In my mind, this is a better signing than OchoCinco in New England. I'm not saying he's gonna be a top 20 WR, but I'd be willing to bet that he pulls down 8 TD catches this season and somewhere around 50 receptions.

Would anyone really give a 35 year old WR a multi-year contract with decent money?

Depends what your definition of decent is. If he somehow shows 70/1000 potential, he's definitely going to get more than if he shows 30/400 potential. He just got 3 mil this year - I would consider that decent... If he does the former, I could see an unreal deal of 3 years for 8-9 mil...

So why wouldn't he have every reason to work his tail off and stay in line?

Best case, he gets a 3 year deal, worst case, he's out of the NFL completely with no income at all. That would give me plenty of motivation.

If he has a good season i could see someone giving him a 1-2 year deal with decent money. teams crave his size in the redzone

I don't understand the money the Jets are paying a person who hasn't played in two years. If they got him a bit cheaper, I think his reward would have been worth it. At this price, he better live up to the hype otherwise, he might get bounced around the league like Moss last year.

I didn't understand all the interest in him either. Going back to the Giants made sense as his best chance to thrive would be in a familiar situation.

He didn't get any smaller in prison I guess. I would have preferred Moss.

Maybe they're hoping for a Vick-like return? Maybe prison does something for a player? I'm not betting on it, but I agree with WW in teams wanting that size in the redzone.

I didn't understand all the interest in him either. Going back to the Giants made sense as his best chance to thrive would be in a familiar situation.

He didn't get any smaller in prison I guess. I would have preferred Moss.

i would have preferred Edwards personally, although i think Jets are better off with Burress over Moss as I dont think burress will be a locker room distraction.

moss is just too quick to go off the deep end and he doesnt offer anything in the way of blocking plus takes plays off. i wanted no part of him.

Dustin Keller should move to #2 in the pecking order; 70 catches for 900 yards is definitely a possibility for Keller.

Maybe they're hoping for a Vick-like return? Maybe prison does something for a player? I'm not betting on it, but I agree with WW in teams wanting that size in the redzone.

Yes, but Vick is younger.

Yes, but Vick is younger.

My response was more sarcasm than anything. I don't really think a team would sign a guy because they truly believe time behind bars was good for their career. That's what I was trying to say...probably wasn't real clear though.

My response was more sarcasm than anything. I don't really think a team would sign a guy because they truly believe time behind bars was good for their career. That's what I was trying to say...probably wasn't real clear though.

You did have a small point. So it wasn't that far fetched. And Rex will do anything to make sure he can beat Tom and Manning.