Sign in to follow this  
swirvenirvin

Ryan Grant

Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel believes Ryan Grant is not a lock to make the final roster.

WTF

I have him way below most other folks only getting around 850 rushing and 6 td's, but didnt think he was in danjer of making team?

Safe to assume the Packers are keeping 4 RB. Assuming that Kuhn, Starks, and Alex Green are taking spots, that leaves Grant battling with Dimitri Nance for the last spot. Hard to see him losing that battle.

He's due 3.5 mil this year, and I could see the savings as a potential reason to let him go, but the Pack has $12 mil in cap room as of last week, so I don't see why that would be a concern.

Remember...they did win a superbowl without him....not like he is flippin walter payton or anything...he is ryan grant.

Rashard Mendenhall went on IR early in 2008 and the Steelers won a Super Bowl without him. They didn't go and cut him the next year.

I'll say this, despite the fluff pieces a few weeks ago suggesting he looks 'fast', he does not. He looks slow and plodding. While I don't think he'll get cut, if I were a Grant owner, I'd sell now. It'll be Starks and Green by the end of the season, as long as they learn to block/catch like Grant can.

One small, important fact that hasn't been mentioned yet....Grant has been running exclusively with the first team. If they were gonna cut him, you'd think Starks would have gotten more run with Rodgers and Co.

Then again, it doesn't sound like it'd be a performance based decision, but rather a financial one.

Who knows.....it'd be pretty shocking if it did happen.

One small, important fact that hasn't been mentioned yet....Grant has been running exclusively with the first team. If they were gonna cut him, you'd think Starks would have gotten more run with Rodgers and Co.

Then again, it doesn't sound like it'd be a performance based decision, but rather a financial one.

Who knows.....it'd be pretty shocking if it did happen.

Agreed. Again, financial motivation doesn't make that much sense. The Packers aren't struggling for cap room, there's no one out there to sign to a big deal even if they wanted to free up more cap space. Grant's been running with the first team most of preseason, which seems like a total waste if they're not planning on making him the starter, let alone cutting him altogether.

I'm sure they want a future of Starks and Green in the backfield. But are they willing to throw away an established guy with two consecutive 1200+ yard seasons (before last year's injury), for a guy with 110 career carries and 4 starts?

Not knocking Starks at all, but even if they want him to be the starter going into this season, why throw away Grant? If Starks struggles, or goes down, you're then looking at Alex Green (not projected as an every down back), or Dimitri Nance as a starting RB. For a team trying to repeat as world champions, the depth and peace of mind that Grant provides would make the 3.5 mil salary worth it, I think.

I just can't look at this at any angle that makes sense.

Agreed. Again, financial motivation doesn't make that much sense. The Packers aren't struggling for cap room, there's no one out there to sign to a big deal even if they wanted to free up more cap space. Grant's been running with the first team most of preseason, which seems like a total waste if they're not planning on making him the starter, let alone cutting him altogether.

I'm sure they want a future of Starks and Green in the backfield. But are they willing to throw away an established guy with two consecutive 1200+ yard seasons (before last year's injury), for a guy with 110 career carries and 4 starts?

Not knocking Starks at all, but even if they want him to be the starter going into this season, why throw away Grant? If Starks struggles, or goes down, you're then looking at Alex Green (not projected as an every down back), or Dimitri Nance as a starting RB. For a team trying to repeat as world champions, the depth and peace of mind that Grant provides would make the 3.5 mil salary worth it, I think.

I just can't look at this at any angle that makes sense.

I think it makes perfect sense. This is not a running team, so keeping 3 RBs-- especially an overpaid one-- is an expensive luxury when they need to re-sign guys like Finley et al (Finley's price will only go up as the season progresses). Grant is not a 'special' player, but he was paid like one. And unfortunately he got hurt, Starks stepped up, and it looks like the Pack landed a solid player with Alex Green.

Maybe they can cut Grant and renegotiate, but I didn't think he was worth the salary when he was healthy, let alone now. He's solid, just not special.

I'm not a homer but this makes perfect sense to let Grant go.

If the rumors are true that he look slow and simply plodding then the packers are doing themselves a huge disservice. This team have proven they don't need an elite RB to win. This is a top 3 passing offense in the league. That spot might be best used for another POSITION. Carry 4 RB seems a bit too much.

This reminds me of the conversation a couple years ago when whispers started out of Cleveland that Jamal Lewis was in danger of not making the final roster, thus starting the James Davis man love.

Lewis did, in fact, remain on the team and Davis fell into fantasy oblivion.

I don't think Grant goes anywhere...but we'll see.

This reminds me of the conversation a couple years ago when whispers started out of Cleveland that Jamal Lewis was in danger of not making the final roster, thus starting the James Davis man love.

Lewis did, in fact, remain on the team and Davis fell into fantasy oblivion.

I don't think Grant goes anywhere...but we'll see.

But Cleveland did not win the Superbowl the year before.

Cleveland did not have an elite passing attack.

James Davis never started a single NFL game.

I am a homer and have seen many practices and pre season games now i dont see them cutting Grant but i do see Starks getting the bulk of the work. Grant doesnt have the explosion he had before the injury. Starks has looked impressive to me during practices and he has very good hands so i will be targeting him in the middle rounds of my drafts espicially in ppr leagues.

That writer is clueless.

Ryan Grant is the Packers starting running back in 2011, I guarantee it. - Gepetto 8/24/2011 12:37 PM CST

I say this game this weekend will be the tell-tale indicator on it. But I simply cannot imagine Ryan Grant getting cut.

I would be completely floored if Grant was outright cut. I have believed all along that Starks would end up being the main back in Green Bay this year, but why wouldn't they at least keep Grant around as insurance? He doesn't cost that much money this year and they aren't hard up against the cap.

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. That said, I was never buying on Grant to begin with. Starks is the guy to get, but you might have to be patient with him.

Grant will be a top 10 fantasy runningback at the end of the year.

Whatever author wrote this is terrible.

That writer is clueless.

Ryan Grant is the Packers starting running back in 2011, I guarantee it. - Gepetto 8/24/2011 12:37 PM CST

Ok, let's clarify-- for the full year? (injuries don't count, pure performance)

This is from RotoWorld in July

Ryan Grant - RB - Packers The Packers have paid Ryan Grant's $1.75 million pre-training camp roster bonus, ensuring he'll remain with the club this year.

We'd seen speculation that Grant might not be a Packer in 2011, but it was never realistic. James Starks didn't play nearly as well as some folks in the media portrayed last season, and beat writer Tom Silverstein confirms that the Packers' payment of the relatively hefty bonus means Grant is the heavy favorite to open camp as the starter. We project him for just over 200 carries, keeping Grant in the low-end range of RB2s.

Source: Tom Silverstein on Twitter Jul 28 - 9:40 PM

On a different note would love the Lions to snag him up if he did get cut

Clinton Portis is unemployed.

Might want to give him a ring first...

Safe to assume the Packers are keeping 4 RB. Assuming that Kuhn, Starks, and Alex Green are taking spots, that leaves Grant battling with Dimitri Nance for the last spot. Hard to see him losing that battle.

He's due 3.5 mil this year, and I could see the savings as a potential reason to let him go, but the Pack has $12 mil in cap room as of last week, so I don't see why that would be a concern.

Rashard Mendenhall went on IR early in 2008 and the Steelers won a Super Bowl without him. They didn't go and cut him the next year.

The difference being...Mendenhall was a young stud.

Ryan grant will be 29 years old and is just a good RB....his best days are gone....face it...he is close to 30....it happens.

Ok, let's clarify-- for the full year? (injuries don't count, pure performance)

Ryan Grant will be the starter for the full year and get the majority of the carries for the full year, in my opinion. I think he makes a decent RB2 and a very good RB3 on fantasy teams in 2011.

I have my Draft on Friday night. Where should we be looking at James Starks?? 5th/6th?

No way, 4th round easy

Looks like Grant may have been given an ultimatum...take a paycut or hit the road. Sounds like he took the former:

The Green Bay Packers have restructured the contract of veteran RB Ryan Grant’s contract, according to Adam Caplan of Thesidelineview.com.

Grant, who was to earn $3.5 million in base salary for 2011, had his base salary cut to $2.5 million earlier this month, a source confirmed.

Grant, who is on the final year of his contract, had a $1 million roster bonus due on the 15th day of the new league year on his previous deal plus $750,000 in total per game roster bonuses ($46,875/game). Grant has the same exact amount ($1.75 million) in bonuses due in the new contract, but it’s not known if the bonus structure is the same or if the roster bonus has been paid or if the date has been pushed back.

Grant’s salary cap number has been trimmed from $5.65 million to roughly $3.87 million.

Updating a previous item, the Packers agreed to guarantee Ryan Grant's 2011 base salary when they reworked his contract earlier in camp.

~rotoworld.com

I'm not a homer but this makes perfect sense to let Grant go.

If the rumors are true that he look slow and simply plodding then the packers are doing themselves a huge disservice. This team have proven they don't need an elite RB to win. This is a top 3 passing offense in the league. That spot might be best used for another POSITION. Carry 4 RB seems a bit too much.

What rumors were there that he looked slow?

Looked just fine gaining the edge against Arizona several times and the coaches have done nothing but praise him.

Nance will likely not make this team despite some hype he got after doing well against the 3rd stringers last weekend.

What rumors were there that he looked slow?

Looked just fine gaining the edge against Arizona several times and the coaches have done nothing but praise him.

Nance will likely not make this team despite some hype he got after doing well against the 3rd stringers last weekend.

Why would a team with so many injuries at RB only keep 3 RB's? That seems like an awfully risky proposition.

Why would a team with so many injuries at RB only keep 3 RB's? That seems like an awfully risky proposition.

Because they figure they can find someone as good as Nance or stash someone as good as him on the practice squad if they need to?

Because they have 5 WRs for sure they will keep and maybe a 6th.

Because they have a crap ton of TEs they want to keep and Kuhn can run the ball a little in a pinch.

Injuries at LB they need to account for and DL that they may have to carry some extra guys to start the year (Zombo's shoulder, Neal's knees, Wilson's head)

I just don't think Nance is special enough to try and limit them at one of those other positions.

That and they will likely be carrying 3 QBs this year (last year they only carried 2 with Harrell on the PS til he got called up later in the year when Rodgers had the 2nd concussion).

Because they figure they can find someone as good as Nance or stash someone as good as him on the practice squad if they need to?

Because they have 5 WRs for sure they will keep and maybe a 6th.

Because they have a crap ton of TEs they want to keep and Kuhn can run the ball a little in a pinch.

Injuries at LB they need to account for and DL that they may have to carry some extra guys to start the year (Zombo's shoulder, Neal's knees, Wilson's head)

I just don't think Nance is special enough to try and limit them at one of those other positions.

That and they will likely be carrying 3 QBs this year (last year they only carried 2 with Harrell on the PS til he got called up later in the year when Rodgers had the 2nd concussion).

I would love to find out how many teams have only carried 3 RB's on a starting roster. I bet it has happened, but I don't remember it ever happening. :dunno:

I would love to find out how many teams have only carried 3 RB's on a starting roster. I bet it has happened, but I don't remember it ever happening. :dunno:

The Packers have routinely only carried 3 RBs. (Im not counting the FBs in this...they will carry Kuhn as well...maybe Johnson too)

What teams carry more than just 3 RBs (leaving the FBs out)

The Packers have routinely only carried 3 RBs. (Im not counting the FBs in this...they will carry Kuhn as well...maybe Johnson too)

What teams carry more than just 3 RBs (leaving the FBs out)

Oh, I was counting on FB's in the RB number as some teams have no FB's at all. I believe that there were people speaking about cutting Grant AND Nance.

Oh, I was counting on FB's in the RB number as some teams have no FB's at all. I believe that there were people speaking about cutting Grant AND Nance.

Now that would be pointless IMO.

They're not cutting Grant, and Silverstein is one of the best NFL reporters in the league, so he's not clueless.

What happened is that Silverstein rolled with a story that he was fed from his Packers insiders - a story that was launched intentionally to spur Grant. Grant has been running East and West a whole lot this camp, and when compared to Starks - who has looked clearly more explosive and runs far more North/South - the Packers coaches want to be sure that Grant still has his burst, and not sluffing off because it's the pre-season.

This was mind games, aimed squarely at Grant. If he doesn't have the burst, they want to give Starks more first-team reps. If he does, they want to see it to calm their nervous stomachs.

That's it.