Sign in to follow this  
JoeBoxers43

Ridley vs. Torain

That's such a tough call bro. On one hand you have cryptic Bellicheck, and on the other hand, you have the Fantasy Satan in Shanny. So, lets break it down. Ridley is on a Patriots offense who hasn't had a bell cow back since, well, probably ever...but seriously, between the Law Firm, Ridley, Vareen, and Woodhead, I'm not sure if I trust any Pats RB. Ridley is emerging as a talent, but as long as the Law Firm is running hard, and starting games, Ridley won't be start worthy except for deep leagues or bye week fillers...he surely isn't going to win you any championships. Now for the Redskins...well, they went out and traded for their stud RB didn't they? I mean, it's Tim Freakin Hightower...lol...ok, anyways, and they used a high draft choice on Helu. Oh yeah, and they drafted a back a while ago who is pretty good too by the name of Torain. But over on the sideline lurking under that headset and coaches jacket, is Shannanigens...Fantasy Football's Most Wanted Man...So, it's a toss up. I have an idea though. Someone needs to invent a contraption that can melt players talents together. I mean, lets take Hightowers hands and blitz pickups, combine them w/ Helu's blazing speed, and add some of Torain's brute and raw running talent, and you'd have Walter Friggen Payton. Sorry bout this post, it's getting late and I'm getting loopy. If I was in your dilema, and wanted to snag someone w/ the most upside, I'd go Ridley. I never trust anyone that was looked over like Torain. I could be wrong, but there had to of been a reason for the 'Skins to draft a RB like Helu, and trade for Hightower...right?

well, Torain already had some success and should be given at least one more chance to repeat that. I took Ryan Torain. However, Ridley is starting to make some noise.

On a pure, general value kinda thing ... I would say Torain.

What if this is the year, Torain doesn't get hurt?

That's such a tough call bro. On one hand you have cryptic Bellicheck, and on the other hand, you have the Fantasy Satan in Shanny. So, lets break it down. Ridley is on a Patriots offense who hasn't had a bell cow back since, well, probably ever...but seriously, between the Law Firm, Ridley, Vareen, and Woodhead, I'm not sure if I trust any Pats RB. Ridley is emerging as a talent, but as long as the Law Firm is running hard, and starting games, Ridley won't be start worthy except for deep leagues or bye week fillers...he surely isn't going to win you any championships. Now for the Redskins...well, they went out and traded for their stud RB didn't they? I mean, it's Tim Freakin Hightower...lol...ok, anyways, and they used a high draft choice on Helu. Oh yeah, and they drafted a back a while ago who is pretty good too by the name of Torain. But over on the sideline lurking under that headset and coaches jacket, is Shannanigens...Fantasy Football's Most Wanted Man...So, it's a toss up. I have an idea though. Someone needs to invent a contraption that can melt players talents together. I mean, lets take Hightowers hands and blitz pickups, combine them w/ Helu's blazing speed, and add some of Torain's brute and raw running talent, and you'd have Walter Friggen Payton. Sorry bout this post, it's getting late and I'm getting loopy. If I was in your dilema, and wanted to snag someone w/ the most upside, I'd go Ridley. I never trust anyone that was looked over like Torain. I could be wrong, but there had to of been a reason for the 'Skins to draft a RB like Helu, and trade for Hightower...right?

LOL. Solid post, except Torain wasn't drafted by Washington, though he was drafted by Satan and brought to Washington by Satan. That alone, probably means Torain is the choice. But like you said, Satan was there when they traded for Hightower and drafted Helu. I take that to mean that Torain is the guy until the wheels fall off, which will probably be 2 weeks, and even Satan himself knows it.

So, I'm going to go Ridley. His role my never be fully defined, but neither was Aaron Hernadez's for most of last year and he still put up solid numbers in that offense. As long as a player has any sort of role, defined or not, in New England, they have value.

If only Torain is guaranteed to stay healthy ... what could be. But I think there's a better chance of BJG going down than Torain staying healthy.

On a pure, general value kinda thing ... I would say Torain.

Improbably, nay, impossible...but honestly that's a scary thought. He'd finish the year with solid RB2 numbers if this were the case. Yet again though, I have to bring up the fact that he's never stayed fully healthy for more than four weeks. Shanny knows this, he won't work Torain as hard as most of us would like. To answer this question though, assuming Torain eventually gets hurt...Torain has more value in the short-term where Ridley's value is more long-term. Now..if Torain were to stay healthy he wins on both fronts.

Even Fred Taylor had his good years. I'm hoping this is Torain's, and there's really no reason to ignore him as a possible breakout just yet.

Even Fred Taylor had his good years. I'm hoping this is Torain's, and there's really no reason to ignore him as a possible breakout just yet.

Fred Taylor was .... based on "this might be the year he stays healthy" a late first round, early second round draft pick back in the day.

I got Torain off waivers for free, last week.

Fred Taylor was .... based on "this might be the year he stays healthy" a late first round, early second round draft pick back in the day.

I got Torain off waivers for free, last week.

Taylor didn't enter the draft and start the season as a backup. Torain did.

Taylor didn't enter the draft and start the season as a backup. Torain did.

Maybe Torain should have been drafted. Based on what he did when healthy, at the end of last year.

He was overlooked. I got him off waivers before he busted out.

Maybe Torain should have been drafted. Based on what he did when healthy, at the end of last year.

He was overlooked. I got him off waivers before he busted out.

Torain was drafted in my league...actually by the owner of Hightower. Not a bad idea.

if you're looking for the best chance at finding the guy that might be a monster from here on out and lead you to the championship - it's torain. but he might get hurt and he might inexplicably not get opportunities.

so... if you've got a strong team where you don't need a miracle - you need a consistent (yet not spectacular) week to week performer - go with ridley.

jmho.

personally, i look for that BOOM! candidate - like when shaun alexander took over, mid season, for ricky waters years ago.... imo, torain is the first player this year that might be THAT guy (but he's got a very low downside as well)

If Torain can hold on to the ball (one very bad fumble last week that he luckily recovered) he will get the majority of touches down the stretch. If healthy, I see 1,000 yards and 8-10 TDs from here on out.

It's not that Shannarat is a RBBC guy, he just changes his mind about his main back. If he decides on his back, at least for a few weeks, you get some serious stats and he doesn't share the rock during that period. Maybe my memory is fussy but Davis, Portis, Anderson, etc. If Torain is "his" guy, he's a fantasy starter.

Just a couple things to discuss:

-Why would the patriots use a 2nd round pick on Ridley if they didn't plan to use him at some point? ( I know they also used a pick on Vareen, but it's been painfully obvious that Ridley is the most talented back on the entire team).

-The Patriots had a plethora of RB's last year (BJGE, Woodhead, Fred Taylor, Sammie Morris), yet BJGE emerged as a solid RB #2 - and Ridley is more talented than him.

-Ridley has been ridiculously productive in his limited action. He had a monster preseason (including a 3-TD performance), and is averaging 9 ypc, I believe.

-Ryan Torain always gets injured. Enough said.

-Mike Shanahan. Enough said.

-The Redskins traded for Tim Hightower, and drafted Roy Helu. Both have been fairly solid so far - why hand the running game over to Ryan Torain?

-The Patriots offense >>>>>>>>> the Redskins offense.

You do the math.

I picked up Ridley for the reason stated above... But I'd also be lying if it wasn't partly because I needed a RB this week and Torain is on a bye.

It's a close call..

Torrain's injury history is too much. There is an extremely high probability that we are just watching a replay of last year when Torrain became a hot commodity for a few weeks before fading with injuries once again. Just like he did in Denver before that. It's no accident that they brought in Hightower and drafted Helu even though Torrain was Washington's leading rusher last year. He is the quintessential tease.

Ridley looks like a beast and, considering that he has only a mediocre back like BJGE to compete with for touches..... He's gone from zero to 2 to 7 to 11 touches in four weeks. That's a trend. He is more than doubling BJGE's yards per carry average. Enormous, scary upside.

You might also want to consider QB in the situation too.

Something tells me Washington is going to lean on the run game a whole heck of a lot harder than New England.

After having said that and it making sense logically, I want a piece of the New England offense if I can get it and aquired Ridley on 2 teams where he was available.

I drafted Torain. Had to drop him, got him back off waivers this week.

He's a flex start with crazy potential. But nobody is starting the guy as their number two until he takes over as the guy.

If he does take over as the 15-20 carry a game guy, he's a really good weekly starter. The guy runs really well, makes excellent cuts, decisions and has explosion after he decides to go.

The best thing Torain has going for him IMO, is that Shanny loves the guy. I almost think Shanny believes he's got Terrell Davis ability.

Ridley is 1 million times valuable than Torain :shocking: atleast this week :overhead:

Ive been hoping Woodhead would be out this week so hopefully it opens up the door for more PT for Ridley. Last week when Woodhead went down Ridley took over :cheers:

Patriots RB Woodhead expected to miss Wk 5

The Boston Globe confirms that Danny Woodhead (doubtful, ankle) is "unlikely to play Sunday," after missing a third straight practice Friday.

Woodhead's exit from last week's game led directly to more playing time for Stevan Ridley, who's shaping up as a quality flex start against an uncharacteristically soft Jets run defense. The extent of Woodhead's injury is unknown, but we suspect he would've gotten in at least some practice this week if it were a simple sprain. Look for BenJarvus Green-Ellis to start against New York, but Ridley to get a similar amount of touches and more yards.

Source: Boston Globe

Oct 7 - 2:51 PM

Uhhh, not to beat a dead horse, but:

Those are games played by Torain in three seasons. So, if you're keeping score at home, that's 12 games played, 36 games missed due to injury. Let me put it another way- he has yet to play 5 consecutive full games in his NFL career. Those of you predicting big things for this guy are probably just setting yourselves up.

Those are games played by Torain in three seasons. So, if you're keeping score at home, that's 12 games played, 36 games missed due to injury. Let me put it another way- he has yet to play 5 consecutive full games in his NFL career. Those of you predicting big things for this guy are probably just setting yourselves up.

Well, isn't that obvious he needs to stay healthy to do big things?

Well, isn't that obvious he needs to stay healthy to do big things?

yeah, everyone that has posted about torain in here seems to be aware of his injury history.

Torrain is Shanny's boy - it was just a matter of time

Ridley will split with Woodhead as the #2 and get some of Law Firms carries. BUT Lawfirm never fumbles and is great at the stripe so BJGE is the only real RB to start in NE unless Ridley goes nuts a few games then Ridley would be the man -- just don't see it happening though

Torrain is Shanny's boy - it was just a matter of time

Ridley will split with Woodhead as the #2 and get some of Law Firms carries. BUT Lawfirm never fumbles and is great at the stripe so BJGE is the only real RB to start in NE unless Ridley goes nuts a few games then Ridley would be the man -- just don't see it happening though

It doesnt look like Woodhead(doubtful) will play this week so who do you think is the better start BJGE or Ridley?? BJGE did not have a bad game last week 70+ and TD but Ridley looked better.

It doesnt look like Woodhead(doubtful) will play this week so who do you think is the better start BJGE or Ridley?? BJGE did not have a bad game last week 70+ and TD but Ridley looked better.

both are good plays but BJGE should have more time

I'm not even going to read thru the responses...I'll just answer it. Torain will have far more value for at least 4 games this season...good luck figuring out which 4 it will be. For four other games he will equal Ridley unless he's sitting on the bench, in which case he won't equal Ridley. Again, good luck figuring out which games are which. You're welcome.

Riddler..Torrain will get hurt at the most just when you need him most (or Shanny will bench him and run with his flavor of the week)

I picked up Torain thinking I was fine this week and really needed him in the coming weeks when I have byes and he has favorable matchups. I'm regretting that now that I've got injuries and need a RB this week. Of course the team I'm facing this week picked up Ridley, so he'll have a huge game. <_<

I have them both in one league and will play Torain as long as he is starting, not Ridley.

However, this may be the week to play Ridley. Torain on bye and Woody hurt.

In my road to winning the championship last year, I remember using Torain quite a bit and getting good production. He's on par with Jonathan Stewart, L. Blount, Bradshaw as far as production goes. Ridley is new, so I guess we'll see what kind of numbers he can actually produce.

I'm not even going to read thru the responses...I'll just answer it. Torain will have far more value for at least 4 games this season...good luck figuring out which 4 it will be. For four other games he will equal Ridley unless he's sitting on the bench, in which case he won't equal Ridley. Again, good luck figuring out which games are which. You're welcome.

Hasn't Torain only had like four valuable games in his entire career?

Hasn't Torain only had like four valuable games in his entire career?

No no you messed up the statistic I've been pushing lol. The REAL one is that he's never started more than four games without getting injured. There you go.

I don't think anyone is setting themselves up it's not like they dropped Arian Foster for him. They dropped a scrub from their bench and if they can get a few productive weeks that's a plus.

Just a couple things to discuss:

-Why would the patriots use a 2nd round pick on Ridley if they didn't plan to use him at some point? ( I know they also used a pick on Vareen, but it's been painfully obvious that Ridley is the most talented back on the entire team).

-The Patriots had a plethora of RB's last year (BJGE, Woodhead, Fred Taylor, Sammie Morris), yet BJGE emerged as a solid RB #2 - and Ridley is more talented than him.

-Ridley has been ridiculously productive in his limited action. He had a monster preseason (including a 3-TD performance), and is averaging 9 ypc, I believe.

-Ryan Torain always gets injured. Enough said.

-Mike Shanahan. Enough said.

-The Redskins traded for Tim Hightower, and drafted Roy Helu. Both have been fairly solid so far - why hand the running game over to Ryan Torain?

-The Patriots offense >>>>>>>>> the Redskins offense.

You do the math.

Because Torain was very good last year and his one game this year was better than anything the other 2 have produced.

I have Torain and Ridley and I feel much better about Torain right now.

Im gonna predict Ridley has 11 carries for 48 yards and 0 TDs and i will be one pissed off bastard cause i sat BJGE for him. :doh:

Over/Under 50 yards tomorrow? What say you ole wise fantasy guru's??

Of course my 48 yard prediction is under. But i may be just trying to reverse jynx him :ninja:

Im gonna predict Ridley has 11 carries for 48 yards and 0 TDs and i will be one pissed off bastard cause i sat BJGE for him. :doh:

Of course my 48 yard prediction is under. But i may be just trying to reverse jynx him :ninja:

It really depends on whether or not you believe NYJ's rush D is as bad as advertised (27th in the league). If you look at who Ridley tore apart, they were some rather horrible rush defenses (BUF,OAK). If he gets let's say a 20%-30% increase in carries with Woodhead out and continues to average that crazy YPC (8.8) then he should technically run for 90-100 yards. It seems like a ballsy prediction but on paper it seems very possible. I'm also a Jets fan..who doesn't only Ridley in a single league..but does own BGE <_<.

Im gonna predict Ridley has 11 carries for 48 yards and 0 TDs

14/93/1 + 3/23