Sign in to follow this  
TwentyFourSeven

Chicago traded for Brandon Marshall

outstanding move for the Bears...Marshall was and is a beast. Have no idea what the Fins are up to, does this signal Manning et all to the fish???

Good trade for them but WTF were the fins thinking?

Maybe they are clearing up space to sign Manning and Wayne/Clark/Garcon, etc.?

That and only that makes sense IMO.

oh sure, i reply first and he gets credit in your response?! :nono:

We can all assume this takes the Bears out of the running for Vincent Jackson. Wonder if the Fins are in play there?

Seems to me this would take the Fins OUT of the Manning sweeps, as Marshall was, in my mind, the main reason for him to go there.

Seems like everyone thinks its down to Denver, Ari, and Tenn anyway.

Seems to me this would take the Fins OUT of the Manning sweeps, as Marshall was, in my mind, the main reason for him to go there.

Space for Manning and Wayne?

Yeah maybe this shows they know they are not getting Manning and are going all in on Matt Flynn. And they don't want Marshall around to cause any trouble. :dunno:

The Dolphins now have to get a WR and a QB. Their WR core without Brandon Marshall is pathetic.

Is this for real? I think it makes complete sense to go get mario williams now that they got a legit receiver. What a move and definately worth the risk marshalls mental issues brings. They still need a legit left tackle. If the bears dont upgrade their o line it will not matter much anyway.

The Bears didn't trade 2 picks for Marshall. They SWAPPED 2 picks for Marshall, so in the end, they didn't really give up any picks...

Not sure where you're getting that info...

Bears acquired WR Brandon Marshall from the Dolphins in exchange for two third-round draft picks.

Rookie Bears GM Phil Emery's first major move on the job was a doozy. The third-round picks will be in 2012 and 2013. The Dolphins are left with Brian Hartline, Davone Bess, and Clyde Gates as their top three wide receivers, and are hardly assured so much as a defensive or offensive starter via either of the picks. The Bears have a true No. 1 receiver for the first time since the 1960s, give or take a Willie Gault, or a Marcus Robinson. We like the fit for Marshall from a fantasy perspective. Jay Cutler showed no fear in targeting him relentlessly with the Broncos. Whether Marshall keeps his head on straight enough to make the trade worthwhile remains to be seen.

Is this for real? I think it makes complete sense to go get mario williams now that they got a legit receiver. What a move and definately worth the risk marshalls mental issues brings. They still need a legit left tackle. If the bears dont upgrade their o line it will not matter much anyway.

They can draft an O-lineman now. If they add Marshall, Williams, and an OT in the draft, the NFC N is going to be very interesting this year.

Not sure where you're getting that info...

He's making fun of the math deficient redskins fans in the RG3 thread. HTH

The Bears didn't trade 2 picks for Marshall. They SWAPPED 2 picks for Marshall, so in the end, they didn't really give up any picks...

This will only make sense if a news story about Marshall's tragic death hits the wires in the next hour.

I have to assume the Fins were told that someone didn't want to play with Marshall--I can't see any reason they'd do this otherwise.

They can draft an O-lineman now. If they add Marshall, Williams, and an OT in the draft, the NFC N is going to be very interesting this year.

He's making fun of the math deficient redskins fans in the RG3 thread. HTH

I sort of figured, but it's pretty misleading to just post in a thread where news is somewhat sketchy to begin with...like most Redskins fans!

This will only make sense if a news story about Marshall's tragic death hits the wires in the next hour.

I have to assume the Fins were told that someone didn't want to play with Marshall--I can't see any reason they'd do this otherwise.

Peyton Manning doesn't like crazy WR's...

I am still stiff from hearing this news just before 3. :headbanger:

Incredible move. Let's hope the line can keep Cutler upright long enough to make this work.

He's a total headcase and with the Bears luck this could all back fire. Though it looks on paper right now that 3 of the top 5-6 offenses will be in the NFC North.

Can they truly get Williams still?

Great move by the Bears. Won't have to pay the ridiculous salary that Vince Jackson will get.

Why does Peyton and (fill in an Indy WR/TE here) always get mentioned together. That's really ghey.

I keep looking for "...and a conditional pick/player to be named later." This is looking like a steal for the Bears. Seattle needs to call up Miami's GM pronto and offer to take that malcontent Cameron Wake off their hands. :shocking:

Either that or Marshall is a locker room cancer of the TO variety but I don't see it, the Dolphin player tweets seem to generally stunned and sad to see him go.

Another move of this variety and I would be positively giddy if I was a Bears fan over their new GM's chops.

Love the move, but ...

Marshall was traded for 2 2nds two years ago. 2 3rds now is not unreasonable and the fins shed his salary. The Bears have the cap space for presumably 9M for Marshal and that is less than jackson will get. (not sure what the $ are that Jackson is trending towards)

For the Fish, its a head scratcher unless they are clearing cap space for another big player or two.

At 27, Marshall still has several prime years ahead.

This may actually be part of a MIA play for Manning. Rumor had it that Manning viewed Marshall as a negative because of his instability. The Dolphins may want to tell Peyton that they'll rebuild the WR corps in consultation with him. Right now, though, this looks like a steal for the Bears.

The Dolphins have a new coach. It's possible he viewed Marshall as a loose cannon who might disrupt whatever new culture/system the coach is bringing in.

Or maybe they have reason to believe that the ticking time bomb that is BMarsh is close to exploding.

:dunno:

I am still stiff from hearing this news just before 3. :headbanger:

Incredible move. Let's hope the line can keep Cutler upright long enough to make this work.

He's a total headcase and with the Bears luck this could all back fire. Though it looks on paper right now that 3 of the top 5-6 offenses will be in the NFC North.

Can they truly get Williams still?

Well the trade for Marshall pushed the availible cap space for the Bears from 23.5 million to 14.2 million. From reports it sounds like Buffalo is going to make a huge offer to Williams so i don't think the Bears are going to want to spend the remaining cap space on one player so they probably are out of the hunt for Williams. Sounds like they are going Jeremy Mincey instead.

I know the Bears have 2 3rd rnd picks and i believe they got one of them for Greg Olsen last year from Carolina. So they really traded Olsen and next years 3rd for Marshall, even a better trade since they still have 1 third rounder this year. I personally like Marshall better than V Jax so we will see what happens but my hope is that they add Super Mario and then ALSO draft Michael Floyd or one of the WR in the 1st, an O lineman in the 2nd and then DB in 3rd, DL and LB in the 4th and 5th and whatever after that.

FROM CHICITYSPORTS.COM:

First of all, these are the draft selections that the Bears are working with. By winning a week 17 game against the Minnesota Vikings, that dropped the Bears from the 13th pick in the draft to the 19th slot in the NFL draft. Eve when the Bears win, they lose.

Round 1, Pick 19

Round 2, Pick 50

Round 3, Pick 72

Round 3, Pick 81

Round 4, Pick 114

Round 5, Pick 146

Round 6, Pick 178

Round 7, Pick 210

Why would the Bears need Peppers and Williams? The better route is to shore up that O-Line, imo.

Why would the Bears need Peppers and Williams? The better route is to shore up that O-Line, imo.

They do need a better oline, but adding williams makes alot of sense if they can swing it. Peppers was double and triple teamed. Having both would be a great pass rush and that can help to limit time for Rodgers and Stafford to pick them apart. The defence is also aging so they need to look beyond the next year or two and Mario would be a foundation peice for then future as well.

You can't have everything, and an upgraded o-line is far more important than a second premiere pass rusher.

You can't have everything, and an upgraded o-line is far more important than a second premiere pass rusher.

I see it like this: Emery knows there isn't much CB talent that's left and adding a premier pass rusher opposite Peppers would likely take the pressure off the sketch CBs we usually have in Chicago. Tice likes the O line and thinks it will be much improved with Carimi back healthy, so we draft Floyd if he falls to us at 19 and then grab the best available OT left in the 2nd. Then we draft more throwaway defensive backs like always.

If Bears brass were truly serious about spending all available cap $ I'd be surprised. Traditionally the Bears wallet is tight, and they still need to ink Forte to something long term or free agents will stop wanting to come to play in Chicago.

Look at the last 4 playoff teams this year.

Def

Def

Def

Brady

This may actually be part of a MIA play for Manning. Rumor had it that Manning viewed Marshall as a negative because of his instability. The Dolphins may want to tell Peyton that they'll rebuild the WR corps in consultation with him. Right now, though, this looks like a steal for the Bears.

i've been hearing the same, but i don't know how much stock to put in it.

Peyton Manning and Mike Wallace?

And on a serious note, I expect Peyton Manning to go to Arizona or Denver now.

Could this be the reason the Fins traded him?

Ruh roh!

I don't care. Suspend him 4 games. Heck make it 8. Best Bears WR since... um since.... Robinson! Yeah Marcus Robinson!!!! :clap: