Sign in to follow this  
kujerry

R. Mathews vs. Chris Johnson

I have been seeing a lot of mock draft with R. Matthews going 5 and Chris Johnson 6 or vise versa. I have the 5th pick in the draft this year and I'm looking at these to for my pick. Its a PPR league, Start QB, 2R, 3WR, K, D. standard yards and 6 pts for all TD's. I like Matthews if he stays healthy, but I just have a feeling about Johnson. He held out, no training camp, got his money i just new it would be an off year for him, but he 1,000 yrd with 50+ catches only 4 td, but it was an off year for him. I figure Rodgers 1, Foster 2, Breese 3, McCoy 4....

I really like Rice but his contract hold out scares me, kinda like Johnson's last year, but would probably take him, but just planning if he's not going to be there.

How do you all fee about R. Matthews or Chris Johnson

If Tenn doesnt fix their o-line issues, CJ will suck again... He got hit in the backfield 50% of the time last year!

If Tenn doesnt fix their o-line issues, CJ will suck again... He got hit in the backfield 50% of the time last year!

Suck again - Jeez Cj2k gets no respect. His worst year of all worst years in the nfl last year went for

1047 rushing yards

57 receptions for 418 yards

If his year was that bad and can't get any worse...I'll take the chance that he has even an average year. Imagine what those numbers would be. Now imagine a good year? Now what about a great year? ~1500 total yards equals suck now in fantasy football? WOW

Take your Ryan Matthews all day long. Has he even completed a full season yet?

BTW the Tennessee offesnse is going to spread the offense out this year (so they say). There are weapons all over the offensive side of the ball now with a good looking WR corps, athletic TE, and CJ2k in the backfield. I like Johnson's chances this year vs Matthews.

Suck again - Jeez Cj2k gets no respect. His worst year of all worst years in the nfl last year went for

1047 rushing yards

57 receptions for 418 yards

If his year was that bad and can't get any worse...I'll take the chance that he has even an average year. Imagine what those numbers would be. Now imagine a good year? Now what about a great year? ~1500 total yards equals suck now in fantasy football? WOW

Take your Ryan Matthews all day long. Has he even completed a full season yet?

BTW the Tennessee offesnse is going to spread the offense out this year (so they say). There are weapons all over the offensive side of the ball now with a good looking WR corps, athletic TE, and CJ2k in the backfield. I like Johnson's chances this year vs Matthews.

i dont disagree with you but you conveniently left out his 4 total TD's

As a CJ owner last year he absolutely crushed you in the first half of the year.

I'm using my Zealots league scoring as a reference, which is slightly yardage boosted PPR, but the first 9 weeks of the season he was 20th in running back points with 94 and scored 11.7 a game. (McCoy had 204, 25.6 avg)

There were 37 running backs that averaged 10+ a week in that span. He basically scored like a replacement level running back.

He averaged about 100 total yards at the end of last season and I liked pretty much everything that's happened from his attitude, to surrounding talent and easy division but I won't pretend he wasn't brutal last year.

Only one factor really matters to me: CJ2K is proven and Matthews is not.

We all know what CJ2K can do and a bounce back year means he will be money for his owners.

Matthews on the other hand has yet to emerge as 1st round worthy pick. We don't know where the bar is for him, for all we know we've already his ceiling and he will never make it to the next level.

Another thing that makes me wary is the fact that Norv Turner is talking him up, he's predicting big numbers for Mathews and that has a lot to do with his rise on the draft boards. If this was truly the case, if all signs are pointing to a monster season from the San Diego RB...then what is the purpose of Norv Turner going on the PR run? So every other team can have an early start in preparing game plans to stop Matthews ???? Or perhaps it's because he is on the hot seat and is trying to stir up some wind to blow into his sails before the season opener? A coach on the hot seat is liable to promise the world, after all he's got nothing to lose, if he is wrong it won't matter in the end anyway.

In any case the bottom line: CJ2K is the safer pick, and the first round is the time to play it safe.

In any case the bottom line: CJ2K is the safer pick, and the first round is the time to play it safe.

Agreed. The same can be said for TRich

I think CJ is the safer pick for sure. Mathews will produce if on the field, but he couldn't even hold up in a time share; and now that opposing defenses can focus on Mathews more often, I don't see how he plays the whole season. My gut tells me that Locker can produce given the chance, with an athletic tight end and an improved receiving core (if Britt can stay healthy), which will take the pressure off of Johnson. I am not enthusiastic about the chargers offense this year, and I think Tennessee has the talent to surprise some people this year.

p.s. Not a Tennessee fan

I'd go Matthews, despite the injury concerns.

But, full disclosure: I owned CJ2K last year and I'm very bitter about it. :angry:

Agreed. The same can be said for TRich

Now there is a good debate! Matthews or TRich? Matthews gets the slight edge being TRich is a rookie but I've always had a weakness for RB's that run with power, good pad level, and has the inclination for initiating contact (yes Jerome Bettis was on my roster 5 years in row) I think I would go with TRich, but it would be a very close call, I can see myself going either way.

Now there is a good debate! Matthews or TRich? Matthews gets the slight edge being TRich is a rookie but I've always had a weakness for RB's that run with power, good pad level, and has the inclination for initiating contact (yes Jerome Bettis was on my roster 5 years in row) I think I would go with TRich, but it would be a very close call, I can see myself going either way.

San Diego rushed for 1,864, 16th in the league, at 4.3 with 16 tds last year.

Cleveland rushed for 1,531, 28th in the league, at 3.7 with 4 tds.

I don't think looking at team stats from the previous year can accurately forecast their performance. San Diego may have had 16 rushing TD's last season but Matthews has less than that his entire NFL career. In fact going back to his college career he only had double digit TD's twice and averages just 8.4 rush TD's. The Browns may have had a dismal rushing record last year but Richardson is a significant upgrade over Hillis.

Let's compare both players....

Matthews scored 51 total TD's in college. He played in a "finesse" offense common to the WAC (which was blown up two years ago and now is laughable as a division 1 conference), He only really was able to take on a full workload in his senior year due to multiple nagging injuries. He was a second team All-American and taken 12th overall in the 2010 draft. Matthews is a powerful runner with good vision, excellent pass catcher and has a wicked stiff-arm.

Richardson scored 51 total TD's in college while playing on one of the top teams in the SEC (hands down the toughest conference) and he only really had a full workload his senior year, that was because Mark Ingram was there setting the single season rushing record, which Richardson promptly broke the following year. He tied Sean Alexander's record with six consecutive 100yd rushing games in a row. Richardson was a first team All-American and finished third for the Heisman. He was take third overall in the last draft. He is powerful runner with good vision, excellent pass catcher and has a wicked stiff-arm AND he pushes 475lbs on the bench and can squat 600lbs.

Since Richardson has yet to take a snap in the pros all we have is his pedigree and Matthews can't hold a candle to Richardson. With that said Richardson is unproven but personally I do like him better than Matthews.

Only one factor really matters to me: CJ2K is proven and Matthews is not.

We all know what CJ2K can do and a bounce back year means he will be money for his owners.

Matthews on the other hand has yet to emerge as 1st round worthy pick. We don't know where the bar is for him, for all we know we've already his ceiling and he will never make it to the next level.

Another thing that makes me wary is the fact that Norv Turner is talking him up, he's predicting big numbers for Mathews and that has a lot to do with his rise on the draft boards. If this was truly the case, if all signs are pointing to a monster season from the San Diego RB...then what is the purpose of Norv Turner going on the PR run? So every other team can have an early start in preparing game plans to stop Matthews ???? Or perhaps it's because he is on the hot seat and is trying to stir up some wind to blow into his sails before the season opener? A coach on the hot seat is liable to promise the world, after all he's got nothing to lose, if he is wrong it won't matter in the end anyway.

Matthews was the #8 RB last year in 14 games, that's the bar for him. Not only that but he scored all of six touchdowns, with Tolbert gone that is likely to go up. Only reason I wouldn't target him is by all accounts he's a flake and an injury risk, all the natural talent in the world though on a high powered offense.

I think CJ is the safer pick for sure. Mathews will produce if on the field, but he couldn't even hold up in a time share; and now that opposing defenses can focus on Mathews more often, I don't see how he plays the whole season. My gut tells me that Locker can produce given the chance, with an athletic tight end and an improved receiving core (if Britt can stay healthy), which will take the pressure off of Johnson. I am not enthusiastic about the chargers offense this year, and I think Tennessee has the talent to surprise some people this year.

p.s. Not a Tennessee fan

I agree very strongly with this evaluation. We often see the departure of a RB that was part of a committee and expect the remaining member to step into that void and assume most of their carries/stats. That most times does not turn out to be the case. There was a RBBC for a reason and it is often because the back with more potential is not able to be a full time bell cow with 350+ touches. Jamal Charles comes to mind. That isn't to say they can't be a productive RB in fantasy but their ceiling is a little lower. Living in SoCal I have watched a lot of Matthews games. Not only has he missed a nice chunk of games early in his career, but he has also been dinged up and missed time within games he has actually played in. I am not confident that he can play a full season, let alone receive a significantly increased work load. Based on that I would be very hesitant to take him in round 1, at least until you get to the back end of a 12 team league.

There's no doubt that San Diego has the better overall offense. However:

1. Cleveland's OL is among the best in football, certainly Top 10.

2. As big a problem as their lack of a passing game was last year, the collection of stiffs in their backfield made it even worse. So yeah, they didn't run the ball well last season but I think that had more to do with their crap running backs than anything else.

I don't think looking at team stats from the previous year can accurately forecast their performance. San Diego may have had 16 rushing TD's last season but Matthews has less than that his entire NFL career. In fact going back to his college career he only had double digit TD's twice and averages just 8.4 rush TD's. The Browns may have had a dismal rushing record last year but Richardson is a significant upgrade over Hillis.

Let's compare both players....

Matthews scored 51 total TD's in college. He played in a "finesse" offense common to the WAC (which was blown up two years ago and now is laughable as a division 1 conference), He only really was able to take on a full workload in his senior year due to multiple nagging injuries. He was a second team All-American and taken 12th overall in the 2010 draft. Matthews is a powerful runner with good vision, excellent pass catcher and has a wicked stiff-arm.

Richardson scored 51 total TD's in college while playing on one of the top teams in the SEC (hands down the toughest conference) and he only really had a full workload his senior year, that was because Mark Ingram was there setting the single season rushing record, which Richardson promptly broke the following year. He tied Sean Alexander's record with six consecutive 100yd rushing games in a row. Richardson was a first team All-American and finished third for the Heisman. He was take third overall in the last draft. He is powerful runner with good vision, excellent pass catcher and has a wicked stiff-arm AND he pushes 475lbs on the bench and can squat 600lbs.

Since Richardson has yet to take a snap in the pros all we have is his pedigree and Matthews can't hold a candle to Richardson. With that said Richardson is unproven but personally I do like him better than Matthews.

:lol: Mathews only had double digit TD's 2 years of his 3 year college career. What a loser he is!

Mathews:

-Played in a finesse college offense and now he plays in a finesse pro offense.

-RB's from the WAC are all going to be laughable in the NFL because of their conference. It's a fact! Because that's a good barometer on which RB's will be good, isn't it? Chris Johnson=ECU, McCoy=Pitt, MJD=UCLA, Forte=Tulane, Michael Turner=NIU, that loser Ladanian Tomlinson was a Horned Frog before Horned Frogs were cool. :o

Richardson:

-Played at Alabama with arguably the best OL in the country. His predecessor, Ingram, has torn the NFL to shreds :doh:

-Richardson is strong like bull in weight room....He'll be able to carry one of his OL and his kicker with one arm while holding the football in the other. And he can squat 2 defensive linemen trying to tackle him at the same time....that surely projects to success in the NFL.

The answer of who will be better is obvious....

p.s. Not a Tennessee fan

-Your gut tells you Locker can produce. Rivers has produced at an elite level for years.

-SD has plenty of receiving threats which will keep defenses honest....and oh yeah, they have Rivers.

-You're obviously high on Tennessee this year and not SD, based on your gut.

I don't mean to come down on you too hard, and think Tennessee could do well because their conference is arguably the worst in football. But SD's conference isn't fantastic either so I'm not sure why you'd be less enthusiastic about their offense. It can't be because of the loss of V-Jax because Rivers and the SD offense have put up ridiculous stats in the past without him.

Personally, I kind of like SD this year. With the poop year they had in 2011, Rivers awful 2011, the loss of V-Jax, and the addition of Manning to the Broncos, expectations for the Chargers have dropped.

Mathews:

-RB's from the WAC are all going to be laughable in the NFL because of their conference. It's a fact! Because that's a good barometer on which RB's will be good, isn't it? Chris Johnson=ECU, McCoy=Pitt, MJD=UCLA, Forte=Tulane, Michael Turner=NIU, that loser Ladanian Tomlinson was a Horned Frog before Horned Frogs were cool. :o

You forgot Marshall Faulk SDSU when they were still in the WAC. I was comparing pedigrees of Matthews and Richardson, so given the choice between a second team all-american from the WAC or first team all-american, hesman finalist, and two time BCS champ from the SEC I would take the latter.

Mathews:

You forgot Marshall Faulk SDSU when they were still in the WAC. I was comparing pedigrees of Matthews and Richardson, so given the choice between a second team all-american from the WAC or first team all-american, hesman finalist, and two time BCS champ from the SEC I would take the latter.

The list I gave of some of the top level RB's in the NFL did not have high pedigrees in college. I like Richardson's potential but the records and accolades from college mean very little, especially when you consider how stacked Alabama is every single year.

The list I gave of some of the top level RB's in the NFL did not have high pedigrees in college. I like Richardson's potential but the records and accolades from college mean very little, especially when you consider how stacked Alabama is every single year.

The question is who would rather have, Matthews or Richardson. I'm not saying he's going to be the top RB, I'm saying I am leaning toward Richardson if giving the choice.

The question is who would rather have, Matthews or Richardson. I'm not saying he's going to be the top RB, I'm saying I am leaning toward Richardson if giving the choice.

The question of the thread is Mathews vs Johnson, and this discussion is a hijack.

Choosing between Mathews and Richardson, I take Mathews this year.

I'm saying CJIII in spite of logic -- becasue he is a lot more talented.

Mathews though is the lone workhorse back on a team that will score alot and is a nice PPR guy well.

basically flip a coin

(KFFL) Tennessee Titans RB Chris Johnson said the team's offense if shifting toward being more balanced, and he said the team is becoming more of a "passing offense." Johnson is intrigued with the changes, and he is expecting to continue to have a "big role" in the offense. "Since I got here, a lot of seasons, everybody has been keying on me," Johnson said. "So, having all the extra additions, I feel good that everybody is not going to be able to key on me. I feel like a lot of teams won't be able to focus on me like they have in years past."

(FFToday) Daniel Jeremiah listed Chris Johnson as one his bounce-back candidates for 2012 and we've heard from the player himself that a better season - LeBron James-like, he claims - might be on the horizon. Here's a positive signal: The Tennessee Titans running back is "running harder" than he did before his 2,000-yard campaign in 2009, a team source told Pro Football Weekly. CJ2K stayed away from the Titans' facility in past offseasons, but language in his contract required his attendance this spring and summer, according to the report. What's being described is a hungrier running back - bulked up, too - and a more vocal leader inside the locker room.

Analysis: In 2011, the 26-year-old just wasn't the fantasy juggernaut we'd grown accustomed to seeing torch opposing defenses. He did start to show some signs of his old self toward the end of last season though, so look for Johnson to build on the six 100-plus all-purpose yard games he put together over his final nine contests in 2011.

(KFFL) Although Tennessee Titans RB Chris Johnson will remain a key element of the team's offense, offensive coordinator Chris Palmer is more inclined to spread the field with receivers and throw the ball more. Johnson will unlikely receive 25 touches per game in 2012. "To say you're going to get a guy 25 touches a game is pushing it," Palmer said. "That's 400 touches over the course of a season. He's certainly capable of that, but what does it mean for the team? Does it help us win?" Palmer added, "We can't allow people to come up and jam the box and make it difficult to run. In an ideal situation, you'd like to be 45 percent pass, 55 percent run. But depending on whom we're playing, it may switch to 60 percent pass, 40 percent run. Or it can be a higher percentage of passing depending on the score."

Rotoworld) Dan Pompei of the National Football Post has been told by "people who know" Chris Johnson that he's rededicated himself this offseason and is in store for a big bounce-back. Analysis: Johnson reported to the team out of shape after dealing with a contract dispute and the lockout last offseason. This year, he has spent a lot of time working out at the facility and is primed for a rebound. We agree, as the Titans' workhorse sits third in our first set of running back rankings.

You can come up with your own conclusions from this...

Rotoworld) Dan Pompei of the National Football Post has been told by "people who know" Chris Johnson that he's rededicated himself this offseason and is in store for a big bounce-back. Analysis: Johnson reported to the team out of shape after dealing with a contract dispute and the lockout last offseason. This year, he has spent a lot of time working out at the facility and is primed for a rebound. We agree, as the Titans' workhorse sits third in our first set of running back rankings.

I'm not arguing with CJ having a bounce back year, but how could anyone rank him ahead of Foster, McCoy or Rice?

CJ, top 5.....gentleman that is insane he is the suck get your heads on straight or sign up for my leagues.

Fantasy football is about finding the NEXT Chris Johnson. CJ2K has obviously peaked and he should have a bounce back year, but Mathews... his situation is DRIPPING with #1 overall player type upside. Tolbert stole 490 rushing yards, 54 receptions and 433 recieving yards, and 10 total TD's. Mathews was STILL THE #7 FANTASY RB LAST YEAR.

If he gets 50% of Tolberts work and #'s (I think this is conservative) and add them to last years totals, Mathews will post 1336 rushing yards,77 receptions for 671 recieving yards, and 11 total TD's.

So the argument isnt Mathews or CJ2k, it's Mathews or Arian Freaking Foster as the #1 overall pick.

Fantasy football is about finding the NEXT Chris Johnson. CJ2K has obviously peaked and he should have a bounce back year, but Mathews... his situation is DRIPPING with #1 overall player type upside. Tolbert stole 490 rushing yards, 54 receptions and 433 recieving yards, and 10 total TD's. Mathews was STILL THE #7 FANTASY RB LAST YEAR.

If he gets 50% of Tolberts work and #'s (I think this is conservative) and add them to last years totals, Mathews will post 1336 rushing yards,77 receptions for 671 recieving yards, and 11 total TD's.

So the argument isnt Mathews or CJ2k, it's Mathews or Arian Freaking Foster as the #1 overall pick.

Except that he could never stay healthy even with Tolbert's help. If he gets 50% of Tolbert's workload, he is sure to tear a labia.

So you are saying you will take Mathews first overall? :unsure:

So you are saying you will take Mathews first overall? :unsure:

I think matthews has a good a shot as rice or mccoy to be #1 overall. I did not include Foster because I believe he will end up as 1 overall. Buuuut then again Kubiak says he is looking forward to an expanded role for Tate and wants him to contribute to this team. If the Texans were smart they would make their backfield a 60/40 split.

I think matthews has a good a shot as rice or mccoy to be #1 overall. I did not include Foster because I believe he will end up as 1 overall. Buuuut then again Kubiak says he is looking forward to an expanded role for Tate and wants him to contribute to this team. If the Texans were smart they would make their backfield a 60/40 split.

Where would you put DMC? DMC & Mathews are similar players in very similar situations to me this season.

CJ has as much upside as any RB in football. He's a little risky coming off a down year but so is Mathews. And we haven't seen the upside yet from Mathews. If we don't this year... Who knows?

I figure Rodgers 1, Foster 2, Breese 3, McCoy 4....

I really like Rice but his contract hold out scares me, kinda like Johnson's last year, but would probably take him, but just planning if he's not going to be there.

Lot of interesting commentary in this thread...but re-reading your original post. If you have #5 and the picks go as you assume...then Ray Rice is your man. The only player not worthy of a top 5 pick (unless your QB scoring is whack) is Brees. With a #5 pick you have to have a lock. You can't play risk/reward. You can consider that if you'r sitting in the #10-14 seats...but top 5 has to stick the landing. As much as I like Mathews, I can't guarantee he sticks the landing. Actually, with all of the historical turnover in the Top 10 at RB I can't guarantee Rice will either, but he is a MUCH safer bet.

Now if somebody doesn't take Brees and Foster, McCoy, Rice and Rodgers are the first four picked...I might actually consider Megatron and get an RB coming back. Although he may not finish #1 again (as statistically that isn't likely), I'm much more confident that he will have a great year than I am any of the RBs sitting in the 4-10 ranking.

im still bitter from drafting mathews in the 1st round during his rookie season. we heard the same things then about mathews having the rb duties to himself, which is why i wasted a high draft pick.

keeep in mind, in spite of him playing well late last season, he's still the same dude that failed his conditioning test last training camp. what does that say about his level of prep? he scares me in the 1st round.

So you are saying you will take Mathews first overall?

I'm saying that he should be in the conversation. Foster is the guy, but even he is going to have competition from Tate and had hamstring issues last season.

I just feel it with Mathews this season. I was also burned by him in his rookie season, and yes he has a poor injury history, but the signs are there gentleman.

As far as DMC, I really like him as well. If I was drafting 7 or 8 and he was there I would be thrilled with him.

Except that he could never stay healthy even with Tolbert's help. If he gets 50% of Tolbert's workload, he is sure to tear a labia.

Obviously my friend, if he gets hurt, as with all of the top RB's, then he's going to bust. My faith simply comes from last year, he missed 2 games and part of another, had Tolbert to deal with, and was the #7 RB. If he's healthy I believe he will be the #1 guy, and at #4 in the draft, I believe he is worth the risk.

I have been seeing a lot of mock draft with R. Matthews going 5 and Chris Johnson 6 or vise versa. I have the 5th pick in the draft this year and I'm looking at these to for my pick. Its a PPR league, Start QB, 2R, 3WR, K, D. standard yards and 6 pts for all TD's. I like Matthews if he stays healthy, but I just have a feeling about Johnson. He held out, no training camp, got his money i just new it would be an off year for him, but he 1,000 yrd with 50+ catches only 4 td, but it was an off year for him. I figure Rodgers 1, Foster 2, Breese 3, McCoy 4....

How do you all fee about R. Matthews or Chris Johnson

If Rice falls to 5 that should be easy, go for him since it's not a similar hold out to CJ's. I'd say Mathews over CJ though to answer your question, but Mathews has dealt with minor injuries the past two years, his conditioning may be the sole purpose of that. He produced last year even with Tolbert in the lineup and injuries that held him out of a couple games.

Richardson:

-Played at Alabama with arguably the best OL in the country. His predecessor, Ingram, has torn the NFL to shreds :doh:

I was thinking the same thing. Trent is so great b/c he broke the college rushing record of someone who sucked on one of the best offenses in the NFL last year. :banana:

I was thinking the same thing. Trent is so great b/c he broke the college rushing record of someone who sucked on one of the best offenses in the NFL last year. :banana:

His logic is a dumb as yours...

Ingram sucked sure, but he was also on a team that throws the ball all the time, was injured and had major competition for touches with Sproles and Thomas...

Trent will have none of those issues in Cleveland, expect maybe injury...