Sign in to follow this  
stonewall

Russell Wilson.....

I have been a proponent of Matt Flynn as a great upside QB2 all off-season. I had him inked-in to start week one after he got that huge contract and only had a rookie to compete against in Seattle. I still believe that he can (and will) be a starting QB in this league and perform well. He has had a pretty good preseason, including the prettiest long ball to T.O. that I have seen in a long time (which T.O. dropped in the end zone, of course).

However, as we know, FF is full of twists and surprises.....and Russell Wilson fits that description perfectly. Flynn didn't play last night. He wasn't scheduled to start anyway, but Yahoo is reporting that he has some sort of "tendonitis-type thing in his throwing elbow" according to Coach Carroll.

In the meantime, Wilson came in and did to the KC 1st-teamers what he has been doing all preseason to backup defenses. He led Seattle on 6 scoring drive...basically shredding them. He was 13-19 passing with 2 TD's, and ran twice for 58 yards through 3 quarters. Through three preseason games, Wilson is 35-of-52 (67.3 percent) for 464 yards (8.92 YPA), five touchdowns, and one interception. He's rushed 10 times for 150 yards and a sixth score.

Is Wilson the real deal? It sure looks that way. He is poised, smart, good reads, catchable ball, big arm, accurate, and can escape trouble seemingly effortlessly. He just doesn't seem "rookie-ish" at all.....in fact, he has the NFL's best preseason quarterback rating at 119.4. His only knock has been his 5' 11" height (same as Brees), but at Wisconsin he was the most efficient college quarterback in 2011, earning a 191.78 QB rating, a full 22 points higher than Luck. In 14 games he managed 3513 total yards with 39 TD's....against only 4 int's.

Bottom-line: This kid has something special. In this pursuit of ours, one has to be flexible and reactionary (without being over-reactionary). Yes, I still like Flynn and Carroll could still start him after paying him. Also, it is quite possible that Seattle simply emphasizes running the ball and defense this season, making any QB a FF after-thought....but I am now officially jumpimg on the Wilson band-wagon as my QB2 with huge upside. I just can't deny his talent any longer.

Here is how he was graded:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1310817-russell-wilson-grading-seahawks-rookie-qbs-performance-vs-chiefs

I think Flynn didn't play because Carroll knew Wilson won the job. Now Jackson gets traded or cut and Flynn becomes one of the highest paid backups in history. I'm very surprised; Wilson showed poise and a knack for finding a way out of trouble in every preseason game I've seen him in. He'll make rookie mistakes - but I'd bet those mistakes are fewer than what Ponder did last year...

The contract isn't that huge, for a free agent QB signing. Hell, it's almost a great value to have two starting caliber QBs at this point.

The contract isn't that huge, for a free agent QB signing. Hell, it's almost a great value to have two starting caliber QBs at this point.

This is correct. I don't get where people keep talking about a huge contract for Flynn. Its not cheap, buts its definetly not huge. They can easily swing Wilsons cheap rookie contract and Flynn as a QB2 if needed.

They gave Flynn nearly 20 million over three years. That's not backup QB money. Sure they can afford it - especially with Wilson's rookie deal. Average backup QBs make 2 - 5 million (USA Today 2009 numbers). They brought in Flynn to start. Wilson either surprised the hell outta everyone or Flynn didn't meet expectations.

I don't get where people keep talking about a huge contract for Flynn.

I suppose it's all relative. To a guy like me pulling $35,000/year.....19.5 million seems pretty huge.

They gave Flynn nearly 20 million over three years. That's not backup QB money. Sure they can afford it - especially with Wilson's rookie deal. Average backup QBs make 2 - 5 million (USA Today 2009 numbers). They brought in Flynn to start. Wilson either surprised the hell outta everyone or Flynn didn't meet expectations.

...but I believe only $10 million is guaranteed.

R Wilson is rostered in my two dynasty leagues (I drafted him in one), WhiteWonder picked him up in my deep keeper, and if he drops to me, I'll have him by tonight in my deep redraft league.

R Wilson is rostered in my two dynasty leagues (I drafted him in one), WhiteWonder picked him up in my deep keeper, and if he drops to me, I'll have him by tonight in my deep redraft league.

:wave:

I admit I did not expect Wilson to start right away for Seattle. I did not set out to draft him on any teams, but rather to put him on my watch list in all leagues. I just wasn't sold on Flynn. Not that Flynn isn't good but Carroll just seems to love Wilson.

Im wondering how so many teams missed on this guy. It can't really be his height can it? Havn't we seen enough shorter QB's able to excel? Or at least, havn't we seen brains and athleticism triumph over height?

He could be a solid Qb2

If Drew Brees and Tiger Woods had a baby he would look and throw like Russel Wilson. Coming from a homer boys...pick him up before he gets announced the starter while he's cheap. :headbanger:

PD

So (probably) 5 rookies starting this year? Is there a precedent for that?

No...it has never happened.

Foles could start some games this year too.

He will,and he'll look fantastic. The eagles will then proceed to bend over and trade rape another bad organization. :cheers:

On a related note how has Sidney rice looked?

I believe he only caught one short pass and that was it. I think they only let him out there for 5 or 6 plays. To me he looked in "football shape" as the say, but Carrol is going to bring him along ssssllllooowwwlllyy.

PD

So (probably) 5 rookies starting this year? Is there a precedent for that?

We might see 10 starting QBs who are rookies or second year guys. That's hard to believe.

He will,and he'll look fantastic. The eagles will then proceed to bend over and trade rape another bad organization. :cheers:

And will still somehow never win the big one...

I'm a little worried about putting Wilson in so soon. I don't question his skills, rather what he's going to face so quickly without being prepared. Right now defenses are showing their vanilla blitzes and schemes. Once regular season starts, Wilson will see more zone blitzes and schemes that he may not be used to seeing. I understand the college game has these type schemes; however, they'll be coming faster than he may be used to.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it works out for Wilson. I just wish he would've sat a few games to get coached up some more, not OJT.

I have been ribbing Seattle fans on here for a long time, but I cannot say anything here. I think they have something special with this kid...he may turn their franchise around.