Sign in to follow this  
Perennial Contender

Gates

His career has pretty much been derailed by chronic injuries. Reminiscent of another great San Diego tight end- Kellen Winslow. I don't think he's really been fully healthy since maybe early in the 2010 season. Wouldn't expect him to be still playing in another year or two.

Gates is mostly done. I had him 2 years ago and he was infuriating with all his injuries. Last year was the same thing. I was frankly kind of astounded to see him still going in the 4-5 round range in a lot of mocks. I'll get it wrong sometimes - I wanted nothing to do with MJD this year either! - but I had this one right.

Gates is old, injury prone, not as fast as he used to be, and playing on a team in decline. You'll get some decent weeks out of him here or there but he's somewhere in the 6-10 range among TEs now ... which makes him an average to below average started in most leagues.

When all is said and done this year I expect Bennett to outscore him overall and on a weekly basis. If you have another option at TE feel free to sell. Maybe some other owner who remembers Gates from 2008 will make you a deal.

Gates is mostly done. I had him 2 years ago and he was infuriating with all his injuries. Last year was the same thing. I was frankly kind of astounded to see him still going in the 4-5 round range in a lot of mocks. I'll get it wrong sometimes - I wanted nothing to do with MJD this year either! - but I had this one right.

Gates is old, injury prone, not as fast as he used to be, and playing on a team in decline. You'll get some decent weeks out of him here or there but he's somewhere in the 6-10 range among TEs now ... which makes him an average to below average started in most leagues.

When all is said and done this year I expect Bennett to outscore him overall and on a weekly basis. If you have another option at TE feel free to sell. Maybe some other owner who remembers Gates from 2008 will make you a deal.

I'm not so sure he is even top 10 anymore.

I was wrong in drafting him round 5. Luckily I picked up Bennett and played him last 2 weeks. Bad thing is I need a WR3 and can't trade Gates for even that. He has fallen off greatly. I am so hoping he has a great week on my bench this week and I can trade him next week

Giving him one more week to see what happens before benching. Doubt I could get anything in a trade. Still, he's only played in about 1.5 games so don't go dumping him yet.

week 1 - missed time due to rib injury

week 2 - didn't play

week 3 - terrible game from the entire O

Personally, I don't give up on guys I drafted high that easily, although I have picked up Rudolph.

I need a big bounce back from the Chargers this week overall. Lets pray something happens, if not hopefully you have picked up a hedge by now

Traded him straight up for McGahee. Hoping that the McGahee injury is minimal and he can play this weekend as my flex. Plus, I have Rudolph and Tony G as other options.

He used to be a WR in a TE's body, now he's just a TE in a TE's body.

He doesn't seem to outrun anyone anymore.

Giving him one more week to see what happens before benching. Doubt I could get anything in a trade. Still, he's only played in about 1.5 games so don't go dumping him yet.

week 1 - missed time due to rib injury

week 2 - didn't play

week 3 - terrible game from the entire O

Personally, I don't give up on guys I drafted high that easily, although I have picked up Rudolph.

I need a big bounce back from the Chargers this week overall. Lets pray something happens, if not hopefully you have picked up a hedge by now

This.

Plus, he dropped a would be TD in game 1.....maybe last game as well? Most Charger skills players didn't get much run in the preseason either, so maybe they're just knocking the rust off. Dunno. Either way, it's pretty early to write a guy off after 1.5 games. Unless he's just not getting open and is running at Turner speed, you gotta figure he'll get his eventually. Just wonder how much of the analysis here is guys looking at the box score, seeing pedestrian numbers and concluding he's done. :dunno:

I can tell he's done because the annoying guy in my league that offers terrible trades all the time wants me to trade Gronkowski for him. That annoying guy is sitting in 8th place (lol) and I get to beat on him this week!

You guys are saying don't write a player off after 1.5 games but part of the reason he's being written off is the fact that he's already missed 1.5 out of 3 games. That's a big part of the deal with gates, he can't stay healthy for decent chunks at a time.

You guys are saying don't write a player off after 1.5 games but part of the reason he's being written off is the fact that he's already missed 1.5 out of 3 games. That's a big part of the deal with gates, he can't stay healthy for decent chunks at a time.

He definitely has been injury prone. However, I just disagree with those who are ready to write him off completely. He dealt with a much worse injury last year and was very effective down the stretch. By all accounts he is healthier now and I don't expect this rib injury to bother him for much longer.

Plus the Chargers appear to be close to getting Jared Gaither back which should only help the offense as a whole.

People are overreacting because he missed one game unexpectedly and the entire Chargers team got their asses whipped last week. I don't think his value gets any lower this year.

i dunno. im in a dilenma. i think im going to bench him for pitta, but i fear gates is going to go off this week

I could help everyone by just starting Rudolph in gates place. See I have magic powers that control the universe, if I sit gates he will go off. But I am starting gates anyway so u can all feel free to bench him now.

I'm a big Chiefs fan, and trust me Gates is going to go off this Sunday. I've watched several of the Chargers games, and Gates does look slower than years past, like he's running underwater. BUT, he has never relied on speed, his career has been based off his size and ability to block out defenders. He definitely won't be top 5 this year, but I think he finishes in the top 10 no doubt. Rivers still force feeds him the ball, almost connected on a TD last week. Once Mathews gets going, it will open up the play action and Gates will get his. Just IMO.

If there ever is a BUY low, GATES is it.

He is still getting separation. If you watch Game one, he dropped 2 passes that should have been caught and both time he was open. One of them was a TD pass that was a bit high which Rivers really should had nailed. He also got hurt in that game which slowed him a bit. It's been almost 3 weeks already and i think he gets back on track this week against a horrible KC defense.

Take a look at his targets. Still 8 in game 1 and 7 in game 3.

Another note.

33 isn't old for a TE position. Last season with a foot injury, he averaged 10.1 points per game in my league.

The foot looks healed as we are seeing him get down the field at a more efficient pace.

Again, i say BUY if you can.

I can see why since he only played in 10 games 2 years ago BUT within those 10 games he did play he had 782 yards and 10 TD.

That averages out to 78 yards and 1 TD a game! :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking:

Holding on for now to Gates. He hasn't looked terrible when he's played, and its still early in the season. He's getting the looks, and like everyone said the whole offense looked awful the last game.

In my league with W/RB/TE flex, debating whether to flex him over B.Tate. Tate playing the Titans who have given up the 3rd most pts to RB so far this year.

I'd hold off on the panic boys.

The SD offense was mediocre against Oakland, had a good game against Tenessee and got dominated by a ferocious defense in Atlanta week 3. This same defense totally stuffed Manning and the Broncos in week 2.

Wait & see, this Atlanta Defense has turned into an elite group very quickly and nobody will be doing well against them.

the Chargers schedule improves over the next while.

KC, the saints, Denver,(bye), Cleveland, and KC again

dont sell now unless the situation dictates you have no choice.

That 3 touchdown game by Rosario when Gates was out is what makes me remember why Gates can be such an awesome force at tight end. Rivers loves his TE in the red zone and Gates is obviously a much better player than Rosario.

I was reading somewhere that Gates has been asked to stay in and block more than usual due to Gaither being out...I haven't been able to watch a single game this year so if anyone can "confirm" this, please chime in. Also, Gaither practiced yesterday but is said that if he does play, his snaps will be limited. I think I'm benching Gates til Gaither's back starting but hoping to hear some "homer" type input on here today...

This year, Gates was one of those players drafted soley on name value.

When that happens, this is usually the result. See Randy Moss.

This year, Gates was one of those players drafted soley on name value.

When that happens, this is usually the result. See Randy Moss.

Nah youre wrong. Look at gonzalez. He is older and still playing at a high level. The rib injury was unfortunate but gates would be playing better had it not happened. Rivers missed him on an open td also. If he is healthy from this game on he will be up there with the top tes. Also if anything i think rivers has lost it. He just doesnt seem to be very accurate any more.

Well, Gonzo stats haven't been as erratic as Gates and his ADP wasn't that high. I'm actually not all that down on Gates this year since he should get a bunch of targets... as long as he's healthy.

But clearly his mid-4th round ADP was a bit inflated.

Nah youre wrong. Look at gonzalez. He is older and still playing at a high level. The rib injury was unfortunate but gates would be playing better had it not happened. Rivers missed him on an open td also. If he is healthy from this game on he will be up there with the top tes. Also if anything i think rivers has lost it. He just doesnt seem to be very accurate any more.

terrible comparision. Gonzo has never been injury prone, and the O he plays on is far more explosive than the chargers. To say the rib injury is unfortunate is to say you don't understand the fact that he's been getting nicked up with these 'little' injuries foe the past few years. Sure the foot has been a major problem but he has missed a game here, a game there with little injuries like the ribs. He just can't stay on the field for any decent number of games. I don't think anyone doubts his abilities when he is playing, however with the foot issue he's not the same dude as he once was. So yeah, he was extremely overvalued this year. And I'm saying all of this as someone who has loved gates' game since he came into the league. One of my fav players of all time. But he's on the decline, and probably a lot closer to the end than anyone will care to admit...

Well Gaither's starting so I'm starting Gates under the premise that Gates wasn't being used in his normal role as he was being asked to stay in to help block with Gaither out!!! How does that sound as stupid as it reads????

I have Gates starting right now but if he gives me a sub-par game he will not be in my lineup until Randolph has a bye!! Really thinking about starting Kendall Wrightover him but I just can't seem to pull the trigger!!

Well Gaither's starting so I'm starting Gates under the premise that Gates wasn't being used in his normal role as he was being asked to stay in to help block with Gaither out!!! How does that sound as stupid as it reads????

works for me :dunno:

by the way...already KC has had to hold Gates to avoid long completions, once could have been a td