Sign in to follow this  
tanatastic

What is SO wrong w Jahvid Best?

People get concussed all the time and come back in a week or so. He's had a few in a few yrs sure but it's just a freakin headache and bump as far as I'm concerned. Does he talk like a mental patient? Can he not add 1+1? I'm just not sure whats preventing a 24 yr old player from playing more football a freakin year after his little bump on the head.

People get concussed all the time and come back in a week or so. He's had a few in a few yrs sure but it's just a freakin headache and bump as far as I'm concerned. Does he talk like a mental patient? Can he not add 1+1? I'm just not sure whats preventing a 24 yr old player from playing more football a freakin year after his little bump on the head.

Just wondering if your bored and trolling a bit or actually think like a moron?

With the current state of the NLF I think it's a liability thing.

No doctor wants to be responsible for Best being declared fit to play.

I didn't realize you trolled this board using the tanatstic alias, Jahvid. Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your time off from the NFL.

LMAO.

He got in a plane crash like concussion in college. Now when he sneezes he loses a week's worth of memory.

When Jahvid Best just hears the word "concussion", he gets a concussion.

Going on record as saying he never plays again.

concussions are scaling injuries, one concussion is ok, 2nd gets worse, 3rd it starts to multiply the damage done.

the brain never fully heals from even 1 concussion

Ah ok so he runs the risk of permanent damage from further concussions. I just assumed the brain could bounce back from that stuff with time. He's so young still, I could see a bounce back but it's not likely.

He's still trying to fit the square peg in the round hole.

Seems to me the OP has had a few himself. Surprised he was able to click on this website and type out a few sentances.

I don't see why, I'm not a neurologist or medical expert. Nor am i an expert on jahvids medical past. Plenty of players have multiple concussions and continue to play. Tell me how it's so ridiculous that I could wonder why this kid is seemingly an exception?

I don't see why, I'm not a neurologist or medical expert. Nor am i an expert on jahvids medical past. Plenty of players have multiple concussions and continue to play. Tell me how it's so ridiculous that I could wonder why this kid is seemingly an exception?

Jahvid Best isn't the only guy who has lost a lot of time. Prob not a lot of hockey fans around here but Sidney Crosby missed about a year with a concussion recently.

Justin Morneau and Brian Roberts also missed over a year due to concussions in baseball.

there are a ton of different types of concussions also, some are more severe then others, Jahvid's are likely the most severe, every time I have seen him get hit he is pounded.

just in case you dont know if you have ever bumped your head at all and seen stars even for a second, thats a concussion

Ever see 50 First Dates?

Yeah well, Best is the Lions version of 10 second Tom.

Ever see 50 First Dates?

Yeah well, Best is the Lions version of 10 second Tom.

....except he's a rich black guy in Detroit, not a poor white guy in Hawaii. Same but different.

Because he can't spell Jahvid Best anymore.

Also, OLB Hunter Hillenmeyer formally of the Bears retired very early in his career due to concussions.

There is mounting scientific evidence that even minor concussions can have profound long term effects never before imagined, like an increased risk for suicide. The NFL has all sorts of new guidelines because they are wisely paying attention to that. You can expect to see Jahvid Best type situations more often in the coming years. What effect this will have on high school and college football remains to be seen, but I'd wager a bet that as this evidence mounts, you'll start to see legislation banning public schools from sponsoring football teams (hockey and soccer too I'd imagine).

Neurologists are sounding warning bells about it all over the place. Hope you guys like baseball and basketball.

The rumor out of Detroit is that the lions know he is done, but if they keep him on the roster until the end of the year, he becomes eligible for lifetime medical benefits from the NFL. Players become eligible after their 3rd year.

Jahvid Best isn't the only guy who has lost a lot of time. Prob not a lot of hockey fans around here but Sidney Crosby missed about a year with a concussion recently.

You took the words out of my mouth.

Crosby lost well over a year to a concussion. It was a second-impact injury, meaning he took the first blow to the head and was not diagnosed immediately with a concussion and then took a second head shot in the next game that put him out. He attempted to come back about a year after the injury and a pretty minor collision put him out again for a few more months. And age doesn't really matter. Crosby was 24 at the time with no history of concussions.

I think what it comes down to is that medical science still does not fully understand brain injuries and are just now beginning to recognize the severity and long term impact of them.

This is all bullsh1t. Best could play, and years ago he would. This is just the NFL preventing more lawsuits, and doctor's not wanting to sign off on the guy because they nare being leaned on by the league.

Ah ok so he runs the risk of permanent damage from further concussions. I just assumed the brain could bounce back from that stuff with time. He's so young still, I could see a bounce back but it's not likely.

depends on the nature of the concussion.

problem with a more serious concussion is:

1) your short and long term memory fades in and out. There seems to be no pattern to it. You will be completely fine one minute, and a total mess the next. so as a player, you may forget some of your reads, and some or all of the plays only to remember them 5 minutes later.

2) your equilibrium and balance are poor.

3) you get nausea, and may get sick on the sidelines from pushing yourself physically.

4) you risk permanant ability to function normally if you take a bad hit while still experiencing concussion symptoms.

there are other reasons, but these are the biggest reasons not to start a player with a concussion that hasnt fully healed.

if his concussion was as serious as they say, they are doing the right thing in giving him more time to recover. he is likely one big hit from being out of the NFL completely, so letting him get some more rest may give him a better chance to have a long and productive career.

It is possible that more rest wont help him enough, but I'm in favour of erring on the side of caution.