Sign in to follow this  
tikigods

Apparently you can't name your child whatever you want

Jaleesa Martin and the father of her 7-month-old son, Messiah DeShawn, went to court because they couldn't agree on the baby's last name. Instead, the Tennessee judge took issue with Messiah's first name, saying that only Jesus Christ can bear the title.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," Judge Lu Ann Ballew said.

Ballew ordered Martin and Messiah's father to change their son's name to "Martin DeShawn McCullough," using both of their surnames.

Martin, whose two other children are named Micah and Mason, said she plans to appeal the decision.

"I was shocked. I never intended on naming my son Messiah because it means God and I didn't think a judge could make me change my baby's name because of her religious beliefs," she said.

"Everybody believes what they want so I think I should be able to name my child what I want to name him, not someone else," she said.

Ballew said that such a name would create problems for a child growing up in a Christian community.

"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Ballew said.

Despite the judge's objections, Messiah is the nation's fourth fastest-growing baby name.

I'm fully expecting to hear from the crowd that is against legislating from the bench.

Activist judges :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it have been easier to just use Obama

Wouldn't it have been easier to just use Obama

or Kyle?

or Todd?

"Whatever happened to names like Eddie?" -George Carlin

Tennessee :lol:

Al Gore could not carry his home state and because of that he lost the election. Tennessee :first:

Wow. One of those rare stories where you can't decide which side has the bigger asshats.

Wow. One of those rare stories where you can't decide which side has the bigger asshats.

Agreed. There is just so much stupidity to go around on this one.

Sounds like this judge just thought he could push these people around and nobody would know about it. Likely there will be some disciplinary action taken against him now that it is in the national spotlight.

Worms...do you practice civil law? Can a judge really make a name change to a child without the family consent?

I'm sure there is more to this story. My guess is that the dad probably had petitioned the Court for a name change for the last and first names. No way a judge just does this on their own.

Sounds like this judge just thought he could push these people around and nobody would know about it. Likely there will be some disciplinary action taken against him now that it is in the national spotlight.

Partially the judge is probably bitter that his parents named him Lu Ann.

Sounds like this judge just thought he could push these people around and nobody would know about it. Likely there will be some disciplinary action taken against him her now that it is in the national spotlight.

Typical female family court judge.

In Tennessee??? She'll probably get nominated to the State Supreme Court.

or Kyle?

or Todd?

"Wanna hear a real name, Eddie!" -George Carlin

:thumbsup:

Did this POS judge really expect to get away with this? :dunno:

Did this POS judge really expect to get away with this? :dunno:

Judge, aka politician. so yes.

Worms...do you practice civil law? Can a judge really make a name change to a child without the family consent?

I'm sure there is more to this story. My guess is that the dad probably had petitioned the Court for a name change for the last and first names. No way a judge just does this on their own.

I don't practice civil law now but dabbled at one point. I don't know the laws of Tennessee either. But typically I think when it comes to name changes they are pretty much allowed unless the intent is to defraud creditors or something like that.

I don't honestly know what happens though when one parent does not agree to a name change. I imagine that would hold things up unless the kid wanted the name change and was old enough to voice a reasoned preference. However I can see no realistic scenario where a judge could simply decree a specific name not wanted by the parents.

Meh. At least she didn't get her kids taken away like the guy who named his son Adolf Hitler did.

I don't practice civil law now but dabbled at one point. I don't know the laws of Tennessee either. But typically I think when it comes to name changes they are pretty much allowed unless the intent is to defraud creditors or something like that.

I don't honestly know what happens though when one parent does not agree to a name change. I imagine that would hold things up unless the kid wanted the name change and was old enough to voice a reasoned preference. However I can see no realistic scenario where a judge could simply decree a specific name not wanted by the parents.

I guess my reason for asking would be any kind of lawsuit that could be filed by the parents for this judge's actions or are judges protected from civil suits for their rulings. Honestly, I've never heard of a judge being sued but I've never looked into it.

As far as Tennessee laws are concerned, I don't think it would matter. The 14th Amendment would be applicable to overrule any law that was denying parents the right to name their kid whatever they want.

As a former Tennessee lawyer, no, she can't do that. But she'll get a reprimand, but be s hero to her knuckle dragging constituents, and be re-elected forever.

Third kid, can't decide the last name of this one, takes it to court, has tried to name the kid Messiah...

If the judge wants to overstep her boundaries and act like a ######, how about getting this chick's tubes tied?

or Kyle?

or Todd?

"Whatever happened to names like Eddie?" -George Carlin

How about a good solid Carl, one time. Is that too much to ask?

Most unrealistic thing about The Walking Dead; nobody names their kid Carl any more. :thumbsdown:

Anyone remember God Shamgod?

No, none of us are in our late 30s early 40s and watched ESPN growing up

So Obama creates death panels to kill older republicans and Tennessee judges will start castrating minorities to get rid of potential liberal voters.

I guess my reason for asking would be any kind of lawsuit that could be filed by the parents for this judge's actions or are judges protected from civil suits for their rulings. Honestly, I've never heard of a judge being sued but I've never looked into it.

As far as Tennessee laws are concerned, I don't think it would matter. The 14th Amendment would be applicable to overrule any law that was denying parents the right to name their kid whatever they want.

Judge's are immune from suit over their rulings, so she can't be sued. Like TBBOM said, will probably get some sort of official reprimand but not much else. Some will consider her a hero but the smart folk will forever know that she sucks balls at being a judge.

Judge's are immune from suit over their rulings, so she can't be sued. Like TBBOM said, will probably get some sort of official reprimand but not much else. Some will consider her a hero but the smart folk will forever know that she sucks balls at being a judge.

Thanks for answering that question, TBBOM and IGW. I've always wondered if judges were immune. I know legislators are immune from their comments on the floor but wasn't sure about courts.