Sign in to follow this  
jmonfrey

Lacy

I think lacy will be an every down back for Green Bay as long as his pass protection is good. I don't see him putting up Alfred Morris numbers but I think he will be a nice low to mid rb2 this year. There's a reason he won't be the Alfred Morris of this year because he isn't on a run first team. When you have Aaron Rodgers as your QB then you aren't going to be running the ball like Washington was. You'll be passing because Rodgers is the best player on the team and the coaches will want to win. Hence they will be passing a lot. Still if I had lacy I wouldn't mind starting him every week in my flex

having dealt with the gb run game the last few years in fantasy(benson and co last year and bjax the yr grant was hurt--I only play in one big money league so I follow my one team very closely) all I can say is prepare for a frustrating year because even if this is the best talent they've had in years at rb, gb with Rodgers just won't commit to the run ever. even if lacy gets them down the field he's likely to be only an extra blocker in the rz offense cause Rodgers will hog the stats there. we all know this. the only way he ends up with more than 1000/8 is #1, there is zero other rbs involved all year, and #2 gb has huge leads in the majority of their games and actually decides to ramp it down late and run the ball, or #3 Rodgers gets dinged up and they switch the offense (though a dinged up Rodgers is prob still a bad thing for lacy anyway).

summary--solid RB3/flex option until further notice.

having dealt with the gb run game the last few years in fantasy(benson and co last year and bjax the yr grant was hurt--I only play in one big money league so I follow my one team very closely) all I can say is prepare for a frustrating year because even if this is the best talent they've had in years at rb, gb with Rodgers just won't commit to the run ever. even if lacy gets them down the field he's likely to be only an extra blocker in the rz offense cause Rodgers will hog the stats there. we all know this. the only way he ends up with more than 1000/8 is #1, there is zero other rbs involved all year, and #2 gb has huge leads in the majority of their games and actually decides to ramp it down late and run the ball, or #3 Rodgers gets dinged up and they switch the offense (though a dinged up Rodgers is prob still a bad thing for lacy anyway).

summary--solid RB3/flex option until further notice.

If you said you dealt with them with Benson...then you would know they were committing to the run...look at his carries prior to the injury.

3 straight games of bell cow like touches for Cedric Benson.

Its not about Rodgers committing to the run...its about McCarthy.

To claim Rodgers will hog the stats...is ridiculous given they have not had an actual goalline back.

Now...if he does not get in from the 2 or so on 1st (if they don't throw first)...he likely won't get another chance. Its not going to be a a team that runs it 3 straight times from the 1 or 2. But every now and then they will run it 2 of 3 downs if they have to...I just don't see them doing it with the weak ass FB dive from Kuhn anymore.

Basically...I disagree with almost everything you said here.

would you take him over vereen or Bernard in a ppr ?

Bernard over Lacy in PPR leagues all day!!

Packers LG Josh Sitton confirmed that Eddie Lacy will have a bigger role in the wake of DuJuan Harris' season-ending injury.

We already liked Lacy as the stronger half of the one-two punch the Packers were planning with Harris. Now we love him. "He's going to have to step up and probably have a larger role," Sitton said. "He's going to have to grow. He can't be a rookie anymore." The Packers are committed to finding a run game after Aaron Rodgers was sacked a league-high 51 times last year. In five 2012 games before injury, Cedric Benson averaged 14.2 carries and 2.8 catches per game. Lacy will explode with that kind of workload.

My gut feeling was a 1100-1200 APY type season, seems about certain now. I dont think 8-10 TD's is a far stretch either. A good year ahead for him.

I need rookies to show me that they get it so I just dont draft high on them. Last season morris was on most ww's until he blew up.

That's fair. But Morris also had a rookie QB and what was expected to be a struggling offense. Different situation here, in what is probably the best QB/receiving weapons combo in the NFL. Lacy breaks tackles, churns out yardage and will likely not see a stacked box outside of the red zone.

This is a great explosion situation.

I need rookies to show me that they get it so I just dont draft high on them. Last season morris was on most ww's until he blew up.

i'm not sure where you're getting the "morris was on most ww's until he blew up"... he was drafted in every league i was in. he was no secret - there was merely the speculation of shenanihanigans...

one of the things that always puzzles me is when people say things like "i'll just wait until he does something for real, and then i'll go pick him up". in the leagues i'm in there are 9-11 other players that will also try to snag a player after they show something. now is the time to MAKE SURE you get a player...

i'm not advocating so much for lacy, but pointing out that passing now means a good chance that someone else will get a player

• Like 1

If you said you dealt with them with Benson...then you would know they were committing to the run...look at his carries prior to the injury.

3 straight games of bell cow like touches for Cedric Benson.

Its not about Rodgers committing to the run...its about McCarthy.

To claim Rodgers will hog the stats...is ridiculous given they have not had an actual goalline back.

Now...if he does not get in from the 2 or so on 1st (if they don't throw first)...he likely won't get another chance. Its not going to be a a team that runs it 3 straight times from the 1 or 2. But every now and then they will run it 2 of 3 downs if they have to...I just don't see them doing it with the weak ass FB dive from Kuhn anymore.

Basically...I disagree with almost everything you said here.

It did appear they were running more with benson but in the redzone it was still clear running the ball with the rb is the 3rd option at best. when I say Rodgers I mean McCarthy too...the overall gameplan. I don't think we are that far apart. just trying to help people realize that if they are expecting big things from lacy that they'll be frustrated because GB won't ever commit to the run and why should they they have the best QB and one of the best overall receiving corp in the nfl. frankly I've wondered why GB hasn't drafted a sproles type for their offense rather than try and plug bruiser rb's into it.

Anyone who is high on Lacy clearly hasn't owned a Green Bay RB the last few years.. They've had 1 guy who was going to get the bulk of the work a number of times over the last few years and no one has done anything with it consistently. Its just not a good situation fantasy wise. Lacy is a solid RB, but he has a low ceiling because hes not going to get 15+ touches a game and hes going to lose out on red zone carries. You'll be looking at alot of 50 yard games with the occasional, inconsistent TD and a few big games when they get up early and start running out the clock. Thats RB4 material at best.

Ahh and there lies the difference in outlook thats wins or looses our leagues. For instace I dont draft to keep others from getting players. I draft to build a team that I feel will win matchups against teams with other players

Anyone who is high on Lacy clearly hasn't owned a Green Bay RB the last few years.. They've had 1 guy who was going to get the bulk of the work a number of times over the last few years and no one has done anything with it consistently. Its just not a good situation fantasy wise. Lacy is a solid RB, but he has a low ceiling because hes not going to get 15+ touches a game and hes going to lose out on red zone carries. You'll be looking at alot of 50 yard games with the occasional, inconsistent TD and a few big games when they get up early and start running out the clock. Thats RB4 material at best.

Sad but true. People overrate talent sometimes when opportunity is more of a factor. Unless its a once every 5 years AP kind of talent, the situation will dictate success.

The last 3 years, who's been running the ball? Alex Green, Cedric Benson, James Starks, Brandon Jackson, and a post-injury Ryan Grant.

Before Grant screwed up his ankle, he was a very startable back in GB, putting up 3500 rushing yards and 23 TDs over two and a half years.

The last 3 years, who's been running the ball? Alex Green, Cedric Benson, James Starks, Brandon Jackson, and a post-injury Ryan Grant.

Before Grant screwed up his ankle, he was a very startable back in GB, putting up 3500 rushing yards and 23 TDs over two and a half years.

Exactly. People point to GBs past running problems without taking into account the lack of talent at the position. Lacy doesn't have to be AD to be successful. GB wants to run the ball (they ran plenty of times with lesser talent last year). You've got a passing game that will keep defences honest, and Lacy has very little competition for touches. Lacy is a much better back than Grant, who was successful before the injuries started to pile up.

He's a solid RB2 in a high-scoring offence. People are going to be kicking themselves for missing the boat on him.

This is the exactly the right perspective.

It did appear they were running more with benson but in the redzone it was still clear running the ball with the rb is the 3rd option at best. when I say Rodgers I mean McCarthy too...the overall gameplan. I don't think we are that far apart. just trying to help people realize that if they are expecting big things from lacy that they'll be frustrated because GB won't ever commit to the run and why should they they have the best QB and one of the best overall receiving corp in the nfl. frankly I've wondered why GB hasn't drafted a sproles type for their offense rather than try and plug bruiser rb's into it.

This is the first "bruiser" really they have tried to draft.

Starks I guess...but that was a late round pick.

Green was no bruiser.

Franklin is more of a Sproles type and he can't seem to get things down to get on the field enough.

Yup. Last year, Redskins RB's ran 360 times, 93% with Morris (also Royster, Helu). The Packers ran 308 times with Benson, Starks, Green, and Grant. So no, there was no single viable fantasy RB on the Packers last year.

But IF Lacy gets the same proportion of last year's Packer's carries as Morris did of the Redskins, he'll carry the ball about 287 times this season. Factor in that they may add to that since they actually have a back they like, and I feel safe with Lacy.

Also, I think the Pack is geting a bit of an unfair rep for being pass-first - they were 16th in the league last year for rushing attempts. And when you look at the above numbers, Washington RB's ran the ball an average of 3.25 more times per game than GB. That's all.

And none of them had the talent of Lacy.

Grant got a ton of work. Benson was starting to.

To claim he has a low ceiling because you think he is not going to get 15 touches a year...or is going to lose out on redzone carries seems odd.

What makes you think he won't get redzone carries?

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly....but didn't the Packers make an offer for Marhawn Lynch a couple years ago but were outbid by the 'Hawks? Pretty sure they were in the running for Lynch.....which implies they really would like to run the ball.

And let's not forget what Starks did in the postseason a couple years back when the Pack won it all.

The Packers will run the ball when they have someone capable enough. If Lacy stays healthy, he'll put up solid numbers this year.

Lacy has zoomed up the ADP and I believe he has been overdrafted from early on. Sorry, but for re-draft, I just could not justify spending a 4th round pick for him based on my projections factoring in both risk and strength of schedule.

Lacy has zoomed up the ADP and I believe he has been overdrafted from early on. Sorry, but for re-draft, I just could not justify spending a 4th round pick for him based on my projections factoring in both risk and strength of schedule.

Agreed...was glad to have him as my RB3 in 2 leagues...wouldn't want him with much higher than that.

Lacy is an RB2 in standard leagues and possibly even PPR as well.

Stop with this RB3/flex garbage fellas. Do you you really think there are 24 fantasy RBs who will definitely finish better than Lacy? Hell he's the only option on his team at this point, which already places him ahead of most of the committee guys.

yup. this is basically an argument between people who overdrafted him hoping for RB2 numbers and those who didn't because they believe he's a RB3/Flex at best. Too many unknowns here to risk the 4th rounder...unproven rookie in a pass first offense...GL. I took Brady in the 4th over guys like Lacy. I don't think I'll be real disappointed either way.

I think it all comes down to John Kuhns role on the team. Kuhn seems to be a fan favorite and he got a lot more goal line touches than I think his talent deserves.

If those touches go to Lacy and he gets 70% of the total RB touches thats pretty valuable.

I never understood the hate for Packers' backs. Over the last few years, some people have gotten burned, but that is much more of a function of injuries over the team's game plan. The Pack has had solid backs like Ahman Green and Ryan Grant, but even through injuries to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string backs, they have had decent fantasy RBs like Starks and Samkon Gado. If Lacy can stay healthy, he will perform to his ADP - if not better. If he gets injured, then he won't, but you can say that about every player out there.

While GB has the toughest schedule against the run this year, I feel that is somewhat mitigated by the fact that Rodgers will pick apart any team that puts 8 in the box, leaving Lacy many open lanes to run through.

Someone mentioned Kuhn. He has been utilized at the goal line in the past. It will be interesting to see what happens at the goal line this year. Lacy I doubt will break off many long runs but inside the 10 he could bulldoze some scores.

Will he be Alf Morris or Mark Ingram during their rookie seasons?

The way things are playing out, I am leaning more towards Alf.