Sign in to follow this  
Bobbyn2022

The next great WR?

In you opinion whose the next super star WR that will jump into the top 10 like Aj Green and Julio Jones did. Hopkins,Austin,Patterson,Wright,Hunter,Blackmon,Randle,Floyd,Hill,Allen...All picked in the last 3 years all in the first 2 rounds who has the highest upside? Personally I like Blackmon.

I personally like Randle, but he's too far down the depth chart to blow up like AJ or Julio did. I like Austin, Wright and Blackmon as WR's you are primed to make that jump. Great positions on the depth charts and very little comp for targets.

I would go with Hopkins if he gets the opportunity. Not sure Schaub is good enough to produce a top 10 WR anymore though.

AJ Green and Julio Jones came into the league as elite talents in ideal situations. Most of the guys you listed either lack the talent or situation. Of that group only Patterson and Hill have that type of physical talent but they lack the mental abilities. Wright has never shown any ability to stretch the field so you can check him off. If Randle was special he would be able to produce right now and he hasn't. I think Hopkins has the best overall combination of situation and talent. He won't be AJ or Julio but he could be the equivalent of Roddy White.

Josh Gordon is on his way to being an elite . Just a feeling watching him.

Agreed if he can avoid that 3rd strike and stay in the league.

• Like 1

If Blackmon had a QB it would be him and it wouldn't be close... any of you guys see his domination at Tech ? Outside him I would say Hopkins

Definitely looks like Blackmon or Hopkins at the moment. Still kind of early on Hopkins, but the kid has shown some skill, especially when he had to take over after Andre's injury Week 2.

Definitely looks like Blackmon or Hopkins at the moment. Still kind of early on Hopkins, but the kid has shown some skill, especially when he had to take over after Andre's injury Week 2.

I like the Blackmon call...he's a knucklehead though just like Gordon...similar situations

It's Gordon hands down, especially if the Browns trade him to a team with a good QB or draft one next year!

He would be insane with an elite talent throwing him the ball!

It's Gordon hands down, especially if the Browns trade him to a team with a good QB or draft one next year!

He would be insane with an elite talent throwing him the ball!

I like Gordon, don't get me wrong, but I think I could get 100 yards on 19 targets and I run a 5.0+ 40. I'm going to need to see more out of him. I'd put him in the category with Hopkins.

I like Gordon, don't get me wrong, but I think I could get 100 yards on 19 targets and I run a 5.0+ 40. I'm going to need to see more out of him. I'd put him in the category with Hopkins.

I agree with this. 19 targets is ridiculous and not something that can continue. So if that was an aberration we do need to see more of him to see if there is any consistency before we can say what level he is.

Patterson has the Randy Moss look (and the number), if he had a real QB, he'd be my pick

LOL... You wouldn't have 1 catch on 19 targets!

Not to mention you are talking about 1 game with 19 targets as id that was a bad thing! Let's not discount what he did last year too!

Josh Gordon is on his way to being an elite . Just a feeling watching him.

It will be Gordon once he gets traded. Has a world of talent. I think if Blackmon ever gets a QB, him and shorts will be an insanely good duo. Still a little early to gauge the others mentioned. Tayvon looked incredible in college, I'm curious to see how he matures in the NFL.

It's Gordon.

We saw glimpses of it last year and now it's all going to come together. He's a huge 230 lb receiver with speed, a la Calvin and Julio. He's already arguably the most dangerous deep threat in the league, but also works well underneath in traffic. Cleveland's QBs are competent enough to get him the ball. He's got Cameron with him now to help draw coverage away. I don't see anything holding him back as long as he keeps his nose clean off the field.

• Like 1

Shocked Austin isn't getting the love then again we've seen plenty of quick guys and its very hard to be a super stud when u can go up and take it from a DB or go over the middle. Austin reminds me of S.Moss who was a pretty good player in his prime maybe a Holmes as well. Blackmon game be Houston showed me he could be an elite WR. Gordon reminds me of Moss, super talented but has off the field Issues.

Hopkins

Gordon if he stays out of trouble

Would say Blackmon but he's got trouble issues and plays with an atrocious QB. Some potential there though

none of the above. cecil shorts.

Bold. Not sure I disagree. Paterson is a monster. Gordon is not smart enough to stay out of trouble.

Depends on what time frame you're talking about.

This year, I think it's Blackmon. Long term, Patterson is the freak, while Hopkins, Wheaton and Patton are the guys who will be the Reggie Wayne, Roddy White, Greg Jennings types.

It's Gordon.

We saw glimpses of it last year and now it's all going to come together. He's a huge 230 lb receiver with speed, a la Calvin and Julio. He's already arguably the most dangerous deep threat in the league, but also works well underneath in traffic. Cleveland's QBs are competent enough to get him the ball. He's got Cameron with him now to help draw coverage away. I don't see anything holding him back as long as he keeps his nose clean off the field.

Yeah, I mean if ya want to put him in with group of these guys, it's Gordon. Just get him the ball. I had him last year and again this year. He better show up this week !

In you opinion whose the next super star WR that will jump into the top 10 like Aj Green and Julio Jones did. Hopkins,Austin,Patterson,Wright,Hunter,Blackmon,Randle,Floyd,Hill,Allen...All picked in the last 3 years all in the first 2 rounds who has the highest upside? Personally I like Blackmon.

I like them in this order

Gordon (character issues)

Blackmon (character issues)

Hopkins (seems the most NFL ready)

Patterson (raw but has the physical tools to be a top WR)

Austin (dynamite playmaker but tiny)

I ike all five of these guys but, if you're patient, my pick is Patterson.

If Blackmon had a QB it would be him and it wouldn't be close... any of you guys see his domination at Tech ? Outside him I would say Hopkins

:dunno: :dunno:

Gordon has the physical tools, just has to be smart, which he hasn't really shown an ability to do at this point. Who knows.

I'm in a keeper league and Had Gordon and let him go because I figured at some point he will get a year ban. Patterson on tape just doesn't do it for me. Rams must see something in Austin to move up and get him. I'm still gonna go with Blackmon he's just needs a QB

Austin could be a weapon, but it's only going to be in PPR Leagues. If the Rams keep using him in the middle of the field, he's going to get hit at some point. I think I posted this before, but I've stood next to him on the practice field at Rams Park. That guy is NOT even as big as his listed height/weight. He is an agile speed demon, but he's no bigger than one of the members of the lollipop guild in Oz.

I think Blackmon & Gordon have the elite talent, but how much do you want to give up for a guy who is one step away from a year long ban? I own Gordon in a lot of leagues, but avoided Blackmon in all redrafts. The Jags are going back to Gabbert and that hurts both Shorts and Blackmon, and all the fans (both of them) in Jacksonville. With Henne at QB, I think Shorts and Blackmon can both put up great stats, so let's pray Gabby gets another vaginal injury and misses some time. The Jags will still suck, but who cares.

Hopkins may end up taking over for Johnson next year. From what I've watched of Andre, he's slowed down just a bit. Any WR in a Kubiak offense, who is the top guy, is going to produce on a high level. Schaub may not be great, but he can make someone a top ten WR.

Someone above mentioned Patton. Don't buy the preseason/draft hype. Patton is nothing in that offense and will remain nothing. The 49'ers don't use a second WR often, and when they do, the wealth is spread amongst various people. If they were that high on Patton, they would not have traded for Baldwin or kept Manningham on the roster.

Patterson is interesting. His YPR in college was awesome, but it's his YAC that makes him the man. He turned a lot of short screen passes into very long TD's. Why aren't the Vikings attempting this? He has all the skills to be an elite WR, but he will remain stuck in nuetral until they get a QB, and possibly an offensive minded HC. They have talent on offense, but don't seem to know how to use it. Instead, they will continue pushing AP into his grave and ignoring the fact they have Jennings, Patterson, Wright, Simpson and Rudolph. I'd like to see them bring in an offensive coordinator with who will at least spread the field.

• Like 1

Austin could be a weapon, but it's only going to be in PPR Leagues. If the Rams keep using him in the middle of the field, he's going to get hit at some point. I think I posted this before, but I've stood next to him on the practice field at Rams Park. That guy is NOT even as big as his listed height/weight. He is an agile speed demon, but he's no bigger than one of the members of the lollipop guild in Oz.

I think Blackmon & Gordon have the elite talent, but how much do you want to give up for a guy who is one step away from a year long ban? I own Gordon in a lot of leagues, but avoided Blackmon in all redrafts. The Jags are going back to Gabbert and that hurts both Shorts and Blackmon, and all the fans (both of them) in Jacksonville. With Henne at QB, I think Shorts and Blackmon can both put up great stats, so let's pray Gabby gets another vaginal injury and misses some time. The Jags will still suck, but who cares.

Hopkins may end up taking over for Johnson next year. From what I've watched of Andre, he's slowed down just a bit. Any WR in a Kubiak offense, who is the top guy, is going to produce on a high level. Schaub may not be great, but he can make someone a top ten WR.

Someone above mentioned Patton. Don't buy the preseason/draft hype. Patton is nothing in that offense and will remain nothing. The 49'ers don't use a second WR often, and when they do, the wealth is spread amongst various people. If they were that high on Patton, they would not have traded for Baldwin or kept Manningham on the roster.

Patterson is interesting. His YPR in college was awesome, but it's his YAC that makes him the man. He turned a lot of short screen passes into very long TD's. Why aren't the Vikings attempting this? He has all the skills to be an elite WR, but he will remain stuck in nuetral until they get a QB, and possibly an offensive minded HC. They have talent on offense, but don't seem to know how to use it. Instead, they will continue pushing AP into his grave and ignoring the fact they have Jennings, Patterson, Wright, Simpson and Rudolph. I'd like to see them bring in an offensive coordinator with who will at least spread the field.

....Spot on Trash !

The answer to your questions is that Ponder sucks.

Will be interesting to see if Cassel gets a shot and if he can do any better. Kinda sad if you have to pin your hopes on Cassel but he was decent a few years ago.

Why can't Austin be a Faster Welker? If I were Austin I would watch very damn tape of Welker study his routes and how he does what he does and become a better version of welker. Austin has more tools but Welker has tuffness I see in Austin he also has great hands but I think Austin is capable of being the welker type or a Djaxkson type whatever he wants he's super talented.

for Fatnasty Football purposes...I can see the Jags being bad , for a long time, and playing from behind early thus thrusting Blackmon into great numbers. As bad as his QB situation is, he still excelled towards the end of last year. I'd give him a 3 game start-up period and look for nice, consistent production from about week 7 or 8 going forward. Shorts is great compliment WR on the other side or out of the slot.

Shorts leads the league in targets. When Blackmon comes back he will be targeted 8-10 a game. I think Blackmon is tough and breaks tackles and that helps in the redzone.