Sign in to follow this  
Phurfur

Lefties and righties

I don't think I've ever heard of someone switching sides in the same at-bat. Seems like that's gotta be against rules

unwritten rule. You could do it every pitch if you wanted. No actual rule against it. But you'd never play another game.

I don't think I've ever heard of someone switching sides in the same at-bat. Seems like that's gotta be against rules

Depends on the league, but it has been starting to be changed. There were guys switching at the plate and pitchers who could throw from either hand. Once you step into the box, you should bat from that side. If they change pitchers, then you can switch. Otherwise, stay hitting from that side. Don't be a jagoff.

You never did that. Hat's all I'm saying. You may have played slow pitch softball. That could be true. But I doubt men are any different where you live than they are in the five states I played in. You wouldn't have around here.

Hat's?

It's not. It happened last week in my daughter's high school game. There was a girl on the other team who is working on batting lefty, but switched to right when she got two strikes on her.

Geez you guys will ruin any thread. I was actually having fun in this one.

Keep having fun then. The thread is still open for your posts. Stop whining, pussie. Go start a chess thread or something.

It might be now, but it wasn't 15 years ago...

Geez you guys will ruin any thread. I was actually having fun in this one.

Blame Newbie...

Depends on the league, but it has been starting to be changed. There were guys switching at the plate and pitchers who could throw from either hand. Once you step into the box, you should bat from that side. If they change pitchers, then you can switch. Otherwise, stay hitting from that side. Don't be a jagoff.

Exactly. I was a deadly up-the-middle hitter. I could take a pitcher's cap off if I wanted to. But I knew it would make me a if I did it. Having class and being respected was why I played 20 years and had many teams asking for my services. Not because I wanted to be a clown and jump around and switch sides.

Exactly. I was a deadly up-the-middle hitter. I could take a pitcher's cap off if I wanted to. But I knew it would make me a ###### if I did it. Having class and being respected was why I played 20 years and had many teams asking for my services. Not because I wanted to be a clown and jump around and switch sides.

Liar...

:thumbsup:

The thing that makes it unfair in my eyes is that you can't keep switching pitchers around. So guy comes up to bat on a certain side and maybe you figure it's time to switch pitchers in light of that. Then the guy switches to the other side mid at-bat? What're you supposed to do, change your pitcher again and run through your whole bullpen in one at bat?

Now obviously that isn't going to be such an issue in a rec league but I think the spirit of the rules still counsels against the practice

The thing that makes it unfair in my eyes is that you can't keep switching pitchers around. So guy comes up to bat on a certain side and maybe you figure it's time to switch pitchers in light of that. Then the guy switches to the other side mid at-bat? What're you supposed to do, change your pitcher again and run through your whole bullpen in one at bat?

Now obviously that isn't going to be such an issue in a rec league but I think the spirit of the rules still counsels against the practice

If you were going to switch pitchers for a pitch hitter, you would just make him bat on his weakest side. And the rule is, the pitcher has to declare the hand he is going to throw with first. Doesn't happen often, but I've read about a few cases of ambidextrous pitchers(there was one in the minors a few years ago) going up against switch hitters.

Depends on the league, but once the pitcher enters the game, he has to pitch to the batter.

If you were going to switch pitchers for a pitch hitter, you would just make him bat on his weakest side. And the rule is, the pitcher has to declare the hand he is going to throw with first. Doesn't happen often, but I've read about a few cases of ambidextrous pitchers(there was one in the minors a few years ago) going up against switch hitters.

They changed the rule a few years back on this:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080702&content_id=3051858&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

The new rules regarding ambidextrous pitchers are as follows:

• The pitcher must visually indicate to the umpire, batter and runner(s) which way he will begin pitching to the batter. Engaging the rubber with the glove on a particular hand is considered a definitive commitment to which arm he will throw with. The batter will then choose which side of the plate he will bat from.

• The pitcher must throw one pitch to the batter before any "switch" by either player is allowed.

• After one pitch is thrown, the pitcher and batter may each change positions one time per at-bat. For example, if the pitcher changes from right-handed to left-handed and the batter then changes batter's boxes, each player must remain that way for the duration of that at-bat (unless the offensive team substitutes a pinch hitter, and then each player may again "switch" one time).

• Any switch (by either the pitcher or the batter) must be clearly indicated to the umpire.

• There will be no warm-up pitches during the change of arms.

• If an injury occurs the pitcher may change arms but not use that arm again during the remainder of the game.

Depends on the league, but once the pitcher enters the game, he has to pitch to the batter.

I don't think that is entirely true... What if they come into a game and during warm-ups they pull a Dave Dravecky?

He's a focking liar. Or else he played co-ed church league. A competitive team in a good league would have broke his nose the first time he ever pulled that amateur crap.

I thought you could do it after one strike but after the second strike you had to stay put

I thought you could do it after one strike but after the second strike you had to stay put

I have no idea what the actual rule is. I'm talking about the unwritten one.

Its like they are trying to write upside down. :lol:

I actually don't do that and I'm left handed. I taught myself to write the right way.

I don't think that is entirely true... What if they come into a game and during warm-ups they pull a Dave Dravecky?

There is a rule in effect (MLB 3.05) that prevents them from putting in a guy to warm up, only to have him get "injured". It is up to the umpire to determine whether the pitcher is truly injured and not just faking it. They can actually force the pitcher to pitch to the batter.

The rule was put into place due to Joe Maddon toying with the rules.

There is a rule in effect (MLB 3.05) that prevents them from putting in a guy to warm up, only to have him get "injured". It is up to the umpire to determine whether the pitcher is truly injured and not just faking it. They can actually force the pitcher to pitch to the batter.

The rule was put into place due to Joe Maddon toying with the rules.

So, are you saying Dravecky was faking it..... :dunno:

(I kid...I kid)

I remember reading Dave Dravecky's books as a kid. Truly an inspirational story. Little heavy on the God stuff IIRC but it clearly gave him the strength to persevere.

On 4/8/2014 at 12:40 PM, NewbieJr said:

You never once switched back and forth in the middle of an at bat. I played high-level slow pitch softball for about 20 years. Played in five different states. Never once saw anyone do that. If they had, not only would the other team want to kick his ass, his own teammates would have too. And you're a wimp, so you would have NEVER done it. The catcher would have called you an ass hole and grabbed you by the throat.

Softball bad ass. And issues. 

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Softball bad ass. And issues. 

Another day spent searching 5 year-old posts. Do you have any idea how sad you appear?  Neglecting your kids while you search for me on a messageboard? Recliner Pilot fell into a similar spiral near the end. His obsession with me eventually took him over. What triggered you?  It's gotten really bad? Happened around the time I added a profile picture. Should I remove it?  Do you ever find yourself thinking about me when you're laying in bed with Crusty? Be honest.

So what's the keyword you used?  Just "NewbieJr" and scan through hundreds of old topics?

On 4/8/2014 at 1:18 PM, NewbieJr said:

unwritten rule. You could do it every pitch if you wanted. No actual rule against it. But you'd never play another game.

Ooooooh, the softball guys will get ya! 

On 4/8/2014 at 1:11 PM, NewbieJr said:

He's a focking liar. Or else he played co-ed church league. A competitive team in a good league would have broke his nose the first time he ever pulled that amateur crap.

I have never heard of this occurring. Link? 

On 4/8/2014 at 1:21 PM, NewbieJr said:

Exactly. I was a deadly up-the-middle hitter. I could take a pitcher's cap off if I wanted to. But I knew it would make me a if I did it. Having class and being respected was why I played 20 years and had many teams asking for my services. Not because I wanted to be a clown and jump around and switch sides.

Hahaaha. This Newbie guy reminds me of another dope that posts on this site. 

9 hours ago, The Observer said:

Another day spent searching 5 year-old posts. Do you have any idea how sad you appear?  Neglecting your kids while you search for me on a messageboard? Recliner Pilot fell into a similar spiral near the end. His obsession with me eventually took him over. What triggered you?  It's gotten really bad? Happened around the time I added a profile picture. Should I remove it?  Do you ever find yourself thinking about me when you're laying in bed with Crusty? Be honest.

So what's the keyword you used?  Just "NewbieJr" and scan through hundreds of old topics?

Put in "softball" as it relates  to questions Jay Carney was asked. This sad and wonderful thread was one that popped up.