Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

***2014 PGA Championship Thread***

Tiger is terrible.

Just hit one in the hazard.

Look for him to quit soon

You're so jaded Ed, I'm suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure Tiger would never fake an injury when he's stinking up the course. :lol:

You're so jaded Ed, I'm suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure Tiger would never fake an injury when he's stinking up the course. :lol:

Stand up husband and guy that he is.

Glad to see phil hAve a good first round for once this year instead of playing himself out of it

Glad to see phil hAve a good first round for once this year instead of playing himself out of it

About time.

Rory may never lose again

That double bogey he got on the par 5 says otherwise

Rory back to even. Double and a bogey.

Jason Dufner withdraws from the PGA Championship

Nice job Tiger.

Make it seem like it's okay to just ~stick whenever you want from a tournament.

How Can a guy go from so great to so mediocre while still in his prime. Yes injuries but the man won the US Open on a busted ACL.. So He can play with injuries. This is like Michael Jordan after he turned 30 becoming a sixth man or role player. He can't hit a Driver -- I can honestly say I HiT A DRIVER BETTER THAN TIGER. I hit my Driver 255 - 270 65% in the fairway -- Tiger can't hit his at all. I know he stuggled his career with the driver but now he can't putt either.

That double bogey he got on the par 5 says otherwise

The 4 straight birdies indicate otherwise to your otherwise

The 4 straight birdies indicate otherwise to your otherwise

Rory isn't what Tiger was when Tiger was Tiger - but he is the best player there has been since.

Rory isn't what Tiger was when Tiger was Tiger - but he is the best player there has been since.

I still think it's way too early to say that. Just because Tiger peaked at 24 doesn't mean that's the new norm. If betting, Rory's prime hasn't even begun.

Obviously Tiger set a high bar. It'll be virtually impossible to match it. But Rory isn't drawing dead.

edjr, you do realize players have been withdrawing from tournaments mid tourney for years / decades to prevent future injury or making it worse. This isn't some newfound idea that was started by Tiger Woods. It happens to a golfer or two almost every tournament, we just don't hear about it. Of course when Tiger does it it's the lead story on Sportscenter. Now granted he's done it quite a bit the past few years due to these lingering injuries, but even given that people act like this is some new phenomenon started by Woods.

edjr, you do realize players have been withdrawing from tournaments mid tourney for years / decades to prevent future injury or making it worse. This isn't some newfound idea that was started by Tiger Woods. It happens to a golfer or two almost every tournament, we just don't hear about it. Of course when Tiger does it it's the lead story on Sportscenter. Now granted he's done it quite a bit the past few years due to these lingering injuries, but even given that people act like this is some new phenomenon started by Woods.

KSB, just wondering....when do you plan on jumping on the Manziel bandwagon? :)

KSB, just wondering....when do you plan on jumping on the Manziel bandwagon? :)

Already on, jumped aboard last year during the Bama game. . Is he fun to watch or what? Is the game not more entertaining when he's playing? :doublethumbsup:

You're right ofcourse but it's funny how you know if Tiger was bothered by an injury but 3 off the lead, he isn't withdrawing despite the potential for serious injury or damage. I guess most guys would do the same for the potential paycheck alone.

It just has that lame feel when guys WD due to "injury" when they are also 8 over or whatever.

You're right ofcourse but it's funny how you know of Tiger was bothered by an injury but 3 off the lead, he isn't withdrawing despite the potential for serious injury or damage. I guess most guys would do the same for the potential paycheck alone.

It just has that lame feel when guys WR due to "injury" when they are also 8 over or whatever.

I'll defend those guys in that when I watch them, it often seems they are 8 over BECAUSE they are hurt.....as oppose to them being hurt because they are 8 over.

I'll defend those guys in that when I watch them, it often seems they are 8 over BECAUSE they are hurt.....as oppose to them being hurt because they are 8 over.

Yes no doubt but their injury is probably the same regardless of their score, yet if they are scoring well, they don't WD. Maybe this always means the injury isn't as serious but I'll use tigers us open injury as an example. That was a pretty serious issue he was playing with. Does he play the whole tournament if he's on the cut line?

Yes no doubt but their injury is probably the same regardless of their score, yet if they are scoring well, they don't WD. Maybe this always means the injury isn't as serious but I'll use tigers us open injury as an example. That was a pretty serious issue he was playing with. Does he play the whole tournament if he's on the cut line?

This will sound like backwards reasoning, but if you've ever played anything while hurt you'll likely understand what I mean...

When you can score/play well despite hurting, it's easy to convince yourself the injury isn't as serious. When the injury is preventing you from being able to play/score, you'll think the injury is more serious. It's human nature, and it's competitive nature.

Obviously something like the 08 US Open is a singular event.

It's a simple cost verus benifit analysis. Is the cost (pain or potential of making injury worse) worth the potential benefit?

If you are out of the tournament and coming in 30th is no different to you than coming in 50th then the benefit is null, so why take any cost at all? If the benefit is winning the tournament then you may take on all costs.

:dunno:

It's a simple cost verus benifit analysis. Is the cost (pain or potential of making injury worse) worth the potential benefit?

If you are out of the tournament and coming in 30th is no different to you than coming in 50th then the benefit is null, so why take any cost at all? If the benefit is winning the tournament then you may take on all costs.

100% agreed. That's the best way to put it.

TW should of broke out the Sunday Red outfit, bcoz his ass won't see the weekend. :nono:

Already on, jumped aboard last year during the Bama game. . Is he fun to watch or what? Is the game not more entertaining when he's playing? :doublethumbsup:

He was a very entertaining college player....like Tebow.

Yes this is the correct answer but also relative to the golfer.

I still think it's a bit of a move though because fans and sponsors pay to see you play and you're only going to play with said injury if you have a chance to win or do well... Those fans and sponsors are the reason you make so much money and purses are so big.

Yes I know tiger brought all those fans, I'm not singling him out just tour players as a whole.

It's different than NBA and spurs sitting their old stars sometimes. There is a greater goal of winning a title for the fans.

Yes this is the correct answer but also relative to the golfer.

Cost versus Benefit is obviously relative depending on the player.

For Tiger, Rory, or Phil, finishing 10th or finishing 60th is the exact same. The money isn't a factor, and they get to play on tour til they can't walk anymore. Whereas some Will Wilcox type of guy fighting to keep his card will walk on a torn acl if it means 55th place money instead of 60th. It's almost common sense.

I still think it's a bit of a ###### move though because fans and sponsors pay to see you play and you're only going to play with said injury if you have a chance to win or do well... Those fans and sponsors are the reason you make so much money and purses are so big.

Yes I know tiger brought all those fans, I'm not singling him out just tour players as a whole.

It's different than NBA and spurs sitting their old stars sometimes. There is a greater goal of winning a title for the fans.

I understand, and it can be dissapointing sometimes. I get it.

I guess I draw the line if I think they are 'faking' or not. Or if the excuse is valid or not. Tiger did just recently have back surgery and he had knee surgery not long before that. I know people like to harp on him but its not like he faked those surguries. As if that is made up stuff. :dunno:

Didn't Rory a year or so ago pull out of a tournament because he had a tooth ache?

I get it and wish he'd gut it out too, but I still understand the reasoning.

Tiger needs to read the Sarno back book. I believe he was in debilitating pain, but a few days later he can play (quasi) competitive golf? Not a physical injury.

Tiger needs to read the Sarno back book. I believe he was in debilitating pain, but a few days later he can play (quasi) competitive golf? Not a physical injury.

Drama queen who simply no longer has it.

Tiger's issue is 95% mental and 5% injury. The man won the US Open with a broke ACL so he can play through pain.

I truly believe had he not had the mother of all bad luck happen to him 2 years ago at the Masters he would be back winning Majors right now - Once he gets that mental block (if he gets that Mental block) out of his head. He would have won the Masters I 100% believe if not for hitting the flag on his approach and having it bounce back in the creek and then getting 2 more strokes as penalty for doing something I forget what it was - I have never seen anyone have that kind of Bad luck in a major. I really think he believes he is just jinxed and can't win.

If Tiger can get that 1st Major (post divorce) out of the way I really think he could have a landslide of majors after as long as he does it next year.

It would be great as Rory would be a GREAT rival as Tiger really never had a great rival - sure Phil and Vijay got hot a little but neither could really challenge Tiger at his peak game -- I think Rory at his A game would go stroke for Stroke with Tiger on his.

The people waiting around for Tiger to catch fire are the same people who were waiting around for Tyson to regain form after he was knocked out by Buster Douglas. It's over, it's been over for 6 years, his body is broken down and he is a mental mess.

The people waiting around for Tiger to catch fire are the same people who were waiting around for Tyson to regain form after he was knocked out by Buster Douglas. It's over, it's been over for 6 years, his body is broken down and he is a mental mess.

I agree he is a mental Mess but we are talking about the greatest 8 year stretch in the history of golf and the best Golfer in history for talent during a 8 year span. Tyson was good but he was No Ali, Sugar ray Robinson, Joe Lewis either -- Tiger IS!!! Tiger is with Hogan , Jack, and Jones as the best ever to play and the guy is still only 38. He gets over that mental whatever he coud still be dominant for another 5-6 years. I think his "body" break down is really not that bad he needs something to blame for playing bad or average

I understand, and it can be dissapointing sometimes. I get it.

I guess I draw the line if I think they are 'faking' or not. Or if the excuse is valid or not. Tiger did just recently have back surgery and he had knee surgery not long before that. I know people like to harp on him but its not like he faked those surguries. As if that is made up stuff. :dunno:

Didn't Rory a year or so ago pull out of a tournament because he had a tooth ache?

I get it and wish he'd gut it out too, but I still understand the reasoning.

I was just going to mention Rory's tooth ache

Not only did Tiger lose the battle of TW's to Tom Watson, he tied John Daly and lost to Johan Kok :P

shaping up to be a real exciting weekend. Rory, Rickie and Day? Old man Jim? Phil in the rear view mirror... and a handful of big names at 5 under. Stenson, Westwood, Louis, Stricker

Man, this is awesome. McIlory and Day going toe to toe. Mickelson and Furyk giving chase.

I'm locked into this. Hope the rain holds off.

Moz...Tiger hit the flag stick in the second round of the tournament...not the final round. And, it happens to players more often than you might think. Adam Scott shot a better score than Woods on both Saturday and Sunday- he was the better player.

Gotta disagree also on your overall take on Tiger. I don't think hitting the flagstick prevented anything- both in that tournament or longer term. He's just not as good as he once was and many players are a great deal better.

Rory, Rickie, and Jason Day...talk about three twenty-somethings with massive potential.

Moz...Tiger hit the flag stick in the second round of the tournament...not the final round. And, it happens to players more often than you might think.

So it happens all the time? People hitting a perfect shot - hitting the flag stick then taking an awkward kick into the water -- to be followed up by a mishap on the drop and another 2 stroke penalty?

So it happens all the time? People hitting a perfect shot - hitting the flag stick then taking an awkward kick into the water -- to be followed up by a mishap on the drop and another 2 stroke penalty?

no dont be ridiculous, just tiger envy/hate self validation

Sunday should be good theatre. Pulling for Fowler or even Day to breakthrough with a major.