Sign in to follow this  
We Tigers

Benjamin, Evans, Watkins, and Cooks - Who's the man in 2014?

With the exception of Watkins, who's been dealing with a rib injury, all of the big-name rookie receivers have looked increasingly impressive in the preseason. They're also climbing up draft boards fast as we get closer to the start of the season. Which of them are you targeting this year?

I'm increasingly getting on board with Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin for 2014. They're huge dudes who can make an impact from day one just based on their size, athleticism, and red zone potential. Evans will get #2 corners all year with Vincent Jackson on the other side, and Kelvin Benjamin has looked more and more like a #1-in-training during the preseason. In a 12-team league, I don't think I'm ready to dial one up as my WR3 yet, but I would be fine with either of them as a WR4 to cover bye weeks and maybe turn into a starter by the end of the year. Their current ADPs make that possible, though Benjamin might be climbing after last night's strong performance.

Cooks is rising fastest, somewhat understandably since he's in the pinball NO offense. I really don't know what they're going to do with him, though. I keep reading that he's going to take over Sproles's short work, but what does that mean? Is Cooks really going to be catching 40 passes at the line of scrimmage and averaging 8 YPR? I'm very curious to see how he gets used this year, but I don't think I see him having the instant upside of Evans or Benjamin. I'm still interested in him for 2014, but not if he comes off the board in the top 25-30 receivers.

Watkins is a superb prospect, but hasn't gotten to flash much this preseason and is headed to a run-run-run team with a still-developing 2nd-year QB. He's actually my least favorite of these four for 2014.

Cooks number one on my list followed by Evans , for the reason to posted above . No pressure on either one to step up and me the number one WR on there own team . Benjamin will see another world come the regular season and he does not play on a strong passing game . And the same for Watkins .

In a pure redraft league, I would avoid most of them because of the hype tax on all of these guys - especially Evans and Watkins. I just don't have much faith in drafting rookie receivers high - especially ones in questionable offenses like some of these guys. That said, I am in a keeper league with a three draft penalty. I took Cooks and Benjamin to hopefully keep for next year. They may work as bye week fillers too.

I think Benjamin is the best bet to have a consistent fantasy rookie year. pretty impressed with what I've seen outta this kid.

sammy watkins is a special talent. Like once in a decade talent. Whether that translates to rookie success or not is questionable, but I'll take a flyer on him right around his ADP. He can easily end up being WR1 in that offense, and while it's not all that potent, they'll put some points up. Everyone does. And if Spiller gets going a little bit, they might have a chance of being a slightly above average offense. Bunch of ifs I know, but worth a flyer because his talent is so great he can likely shine even on a scrub team...

benjamin

There have been a lot of fantasy disappointments from rookie WR's over the last few years, and people are understandably gun shy. I am too. However, I cannot make myself NOT get excited about Watkins and Benjamin. I am targeting both in redrafts.

Watkins has, fortunately, had a quiet pre-season, which has helped keep the hype down. If he would have broke off one 80-yard score (which he can do any time), then he would have climbed the ADP ladder. I wrote his name down on a piece of paper while watching him play college ball last year, and it said: "draft this guy". He is a special talent. Yes, his QB sucks....but Watkins will thrive on the dump-offs and short routes (which Manuel can handle), then break them off for big yardage. Sky is the limit.

Benjamin, although not previously on my radar, certainly is now. He is a freakish specimen. He catches everything thrown his way, and his route-running skills are off-the-chart for a rookie. He has been making #1 defensive backs look silly, and it is obvious that he has won over Cam, who seemingly looks his way every play. This guy is the #1 Wr in Carolina and is gonna blow up this year, and he will be on my teams when he does. Grab him, even if you think you are reaching.

• Like 1

I own Benjamin in every league. I had to take him in the 8th of my last draft to get him but I have him as my WR4 still. I think the guy could catch double digit TDs because of his red zone ability. He will be the only WR in on goal line possessions and the guy is a FREAK.

I like cooks a lot. You have an elite QB and an elite TE who people will be worried about. The rookie will get matched up with lesser talent and he will be able to exploit that. Watkins is essentially the only receiver for the bills and same goes for the panthers. I got cooks extremely late in all my drafts so the price tag was low with the highest reward

Benjamin has gotten a lot more hype over the last three weeks, and deservedly so based on his preseason performance. Though i would temper my expectations of him due to the CAR offense not being one that is going to put him in position to score all of that much. Just look what they did last night against NE... :crickets:

I'm looking at Mathews.

Definitely can be the rookie of the year. This guy is super smart. A Vandy grad who Chip Kelly said he was the most impressive person he'd interviewed before the draft. Kelly said they were watching film and Matthews could tell him the down, the coverage and the outcome of the play just by looking at the still picture on the screen. He reminds me of Marques Colston and could have a rookie year similar to his. So far I've been getting him in the 13th round but his ADP doesn't match his huge upside.

Definitely can be the rookie of the year. This guy is super smart. A Vandy grad who Chip Kelly said he was the most impressive person he'd interviewed before the draft. Kelly said they were watching film and Matthews could tell him the down, the coverage and the outcome of the play just by looking at the still picture on the screen. He reminds me of Marques Colston and could have a rookie year similar to his. So far I've been getting him in the 13th round but his ADP doesn't match his huge upside.

You must not have many vandy fans around. It's impossible to draft Matthews with any upside in my leagues. The guy is drafted as a WR3 because everybody loved watching him play and tear up the SEC for 4 Years.

You must not have many vandy fans around. It's impossible to draft Matthews with any upside in my leagues. The guy is drafted as a WR3 because everybody loved watching him play and tear up the SEC for 4 Years.

I live in Nashville and knows all about him. When I said I'd been getting him in late rounds, it's all been mock drafts. Other than Vandy playing Florida, when did you ever watch a Vandy game for excitement?

Benjamin, Evans, Mathews, Watkins, Cooks. In that order this year for redraft. For dynasty pick em about 2 rounds ahead of where you think they should go, because they're going early.

I live in Nashville and knows all about him. When I said I'd been getting him in late rounds, it's all been mock drafts. Other than Vandy playing Florida, when did you ever watch a Vandy game for excitement?

I live in Nashville as well; have since I was a kid. I've been to plenty of Vandy games and it's a cheap fun way to spend a Saturday. I will watch any SEC game I can.

We all know rookie wide receivers never do anything their rookie year and we should avoid them all.

With that being said, how do we do that this year? Mike Evans is already established as the clear #2 in Tampa and has seemingly good chemistry with McCown already. He looks great. Benjamin seems like he's still playing in college. He's catching everything and is the easy #1 in Carolina. Cooks and Matthews are in phenomenal offenses that throws the ball enough to give them tremendous value. Watkins is prolly in the worst position. Woods and Williams are both pretty good receivers and Buffalo isn't an offensive machine like Philly/NO.

I would rank as follows:

1. Kelvin Benjamin

2. Mike Evans

3. Brandin Cooks

4. Jordan Matthews

5. Sammy Watkins

EDIT: Good chance that next year Cooks and/or Matthews are #1 on this list? Heck, all five could be top fifteen wr's next year!

We all know rookie wide receivers never do anything their rookie year and we should avoid them all.

With that being said, how do we do that this year? Mike Evans is already established as the clear #2 in Tampa and has seemingly good chemistry with McCown already. He looks great. Benjamin seems like he's still playing in college. He's catching everything and is the easy #1 in Carolina. Cooks and Matthews are in phenomenal offenses that throws the ball enough to give them tremendous value. Watkins is prolly in the worst position. Woods and Williams are both pretty good receivers and Buffalo isn't an offensive machine like Philly/NO.

I would rank as follows:

1. Kelvin Benjamin

2. Mike Evans

3. Brandin Cooks

4. Jordan Matthews

5. Sammy Watkins

CALVIN Benjamin

CALVIN Benjamin

lol....it's starting to seem like that! Look at his college stats, the guy is phenomenal. It think he simply didn't get the attention because of Jamison. Kid is playing fantastic though!!

Don't forget about "hit-man" Hurns in Jacksonville. This kid seems legit.

what happens when you throw in 2nd year guys like hunter, hopkins, and wheaton? really hard to rank all these guys.