Sign in to follow this  
RepoPatrol

The death of the NFL and Fantasy

I just did a quick calculation of our leagues scoring this year compared to last year. This year scoring is down 15% from the first 3 weeks of last year. I wonder if this is echoed throughout other leagues. It is very strange considering the rules changes which were suppose to give offenses an advantage.

I chalk this up to the prevelance of running back by commitee in the NFL. I believe this change is very detrimental to the league and fantasy itself. There are now very few bellcows that you can have in your lineup week after week. During the season one use to become very attached to their RB's and for the most part you lived and died by the guys you drafted. I use to gain great pleasure by watching them play. Now you don't even have your guy in action a good part of the game and generally root against the guy sharing time. Creates no loyalty and without loyalty people are going to start walking away.

• Like 1

My gonads are becoming increasingly itchy.
I have found an increasingly fond appreciation for cheese in liquid form
Beer makes me drunk still
Matt Asiata sounds like cheese
FFToday is a website

There....I contributed towards your post that focuses solely on you by posting things that are personal to me too! Cheers mate. Hopefully you win your league of 8 religious Atheists

Offenses have an advantage. It's called penalty yards. Fantasy football hasn't caught up to that.

This is a good time for that Billy Madison game show host rant about everything you just said makes no sense and we are all dumber for it etc.

No one cares about loyalty, we just want our guys to get in the friggin end zone or we about it and throw stuff. That's fantasy in a nutshell.

I just did a quick calculation of our leagues scoring this year compared to last year. This year scoring is down 15% from the first 3 weeks of last year. I wonder if this is echoed throughout other leagues. It is very strange considering the rules changes which were suppose to give offenses an advantage.

I chalk this up to the prevelance of running back by commitee in the NFL. I believe this change is very detrimental to the league and fantasy itself. There are now very few bellcows that you can have in your lineup week after week. During the season one use to become very attached to their RB's and for the most part you lived and died by the guys you drafted. I use to gain great pleasure by watching them play. Now you don't even have your guy in action a good part of the game and generally root against the guy sharing time. Creates no loyalty and without loyalty people are going to start walking away.

I think this is a good post.

While I don't think people are going to stop watching the NFL in any kind of large numbers, I agree with what you are saying as to RBs especially.

Just an article suggestion for FFT, but I would love to see an analysis of what percentage of skill position scoring (RB/WR/TE) has been by RBs over the last 5 years to this year. The mediocrity among RBs is unbelievable.

Also this 'burnt out on FF' and 'enjoying the NFL less' theme is something I have heard quite a bit of this year, it is not uncommon.

Ahhh. this topic has not been recieved very kindly. I guess you guys like having to choose between groups of mediocre time share running backs. Its kind of like having starting pitchers going 3 innings as a rule. If nothing changes then our league will kill the running back position next year and go with all flex positions.

What fun is Fantasy if your healthy players are not on the field?

For the record I am loaded with guys that will get the lion's share. Of course I am an exception. The majority of my league doesn't and that is where this post really is going. They are hating fantasy this year.

Ahhh. this topic has not been recieved very kindly. I guess you guys like having to choose between groups of mediocre time share running backs. Its kind of like having starting pitchers going 3 innings as a rule. If nothing changes then our league will kill the running back position next year and go with all flex positions.

What fun is Fantasy if your healthy players are not on the field?

For the record I am loaded with guys that will get the lion's share. Of course I am an exception. The majority of my league doesn't and that is where this post really is going. They are hating fantasy this year.

So this post was designed to give you an opportunity to gloat that you're not being affected by the very issue that you say is ruining both games: the NFL and fantasy. Got it.

Perhaps you should consider that NFL teams are more concerned with winning games than producing points for fantasy teams, and that RBBC has come about because of the lack of humans with the requisite speed and skill set who are also built to take the punishment that an NFL RB gets on a weekly basis? Believe it or not, very few decisions by multi-million dollar corporations will ever be based on who you're starting this week.

If someone's loyalty to a REAL football team is impacted by issues with their MAKE BELIEVE football team, they might consider taking a look at their priorities.

Old School, not Billy Madison. All of Sandler's movies combined wouldn't be good enough to smell Old School's fart. :nono:

What ?....it's Billy Madison....when he was in the competition Debate for his Dad's company.

Offenses have an advantage. It's called penalty yards. Fantasy football hasn't caught up to that.

I was thinking this Sunday, watching AJ Green get interfered in the end zone. Maybe give the receiver 2 points? Or more radically, the penalty yards?

Regardless, I agree that FF needs to adjust.

I love the OP and the topic.

I'm one of those long-time players (17 years) of FF that finds himself burning out. There was always luck involved but now that seems to have devolved to chaos. Information and preparation used to provide some edge but today hardly so.

I much rather watch as a fan and own as a FF player Adrian Peterson, Tomlinson, Brady, Peyton, etc. than the 2nd and 3rd string guys like Asiata that we're being increasingly forced to stomach on the field and in our FF lineups.

I was thinking this Sunday, watching AJ Green get interfered in the end zone. Maybe give the receiver 2 points? Or more radically, the penalty yards?

Regardless, I agree that FF needs to adjust.

While I agree the fouls play more into NFL football in today's game which increases Offense production (but, not F.F. necessarily) -

The day leagues start rewarding points for penalties/yards IS the day I quit F.F. That's horse cr@p.

As if WR's arn't already to valuable in PPR as it is with the way these QB's sling it around at the goal line.

What needs to happen is the opposite. The league needs to change the 50 yard pass interferance calls putting the ball on the one, and make it a simple 10 yard penatly and automatic first down. Maybe have the option to call a "flagront foul" in which case then make the football go half the distance to the goal line.

Axe those horable penalties that gives automatic touchdowns and game changers.

So while I hate the injuries, it's kind of cool to see everybody scrambeling, low production, etc. IF that's even the case, which I personally don't see it any different. Most of these injuries are not season ending so the studs will end up being studs most likely when said and done.

I personally miss the Def of old days. Seems to me every score in the league ends up being in the 30's. Usually B.S. make up stats.

Good observation, one that has been in the works for a while now..... I was a 20+ year fantasy veteran who finally had enough...... Had enough of the constant injuries. Had enough of the last minute game-time-decisions. Had enough of the 3rd string spare swooping in for the td after your horse did all the work. Had enough of the game turning rb's into nothing more than an afterthought. I just overall had enough... Outside of draft night, there isn't one single thing about FF that makes my pants jiggly and wet.... Pulling for my own hometown suckass team is all I worry about now - and I enjoy the game so much better this way.

• Like 1

the game is changing. so what?

add some flex and call it a day.

While I agree the fouls play more into NFL football in today's game which increases Offense production (but, not F.F. necessarily) -

The day leagues start rewarding points for penalties/yards IS the day I quit F.F. That's horse cr@p.

As if WR's arn't already to valuable in PPR as it is with the way these QB's sling it around at the goal line.

What needs to happen is the opposite. The league needs to change the 50 yard pass interferance calls putting the ball on the one, and make it a simple 10 yard penatly and automatic first down. Maybe have the option to call a "flagront foul" in which case then make the football go half the distance to the goal line.

So while I hate the injuries, it's kind of cool to see everybody scrambeling, low production, etc. IF that's even the case, which I personally don't see it any different. Most of these injuries are not season ending so the studs will end up being studs most likely when said and done.

I personally miss the Def of old days. Seems to me every score in the league ends up being in the 30's. Usually B.S. make up stats.

While I don't philosophically disagree with you, Goodell hasn't asked for my input on rule changes, so I'm coming from the perspective of how we make FF more like the game as it is.

I really think the weekly play sites (FanDuel, DraftKings, etc) are going to take over fantasy football.

Although I don't enjoy "traditional" fantasy football as much as I used to, I still play bc after 25 years, it's a tradition and connection to old friends - draft night is a reunion of sorts for a bunch of us.... cancelling draft night would be like cancelling Thanksgiving.

The change in NFL RBs and Passing Rules is what's changed the most.

The QB and RB were always the foundation of fantasy teams but the RB, because of supply/demand, was most valuable.. Today, the stud RB is extinct and any/every QB can put up 300 yards and 3 TDs. WRs were fickle... you never really knew what you'd get week-to-week and they were abundant. Now WRs are still fickle but so many of them explode on a weekly basis it's hard to predict/track.

Overall, there's lots of scoring now but you never know who's gonna' score.

Add that to lists/cheat sheets/etc and the entire fantasy world is just picking names off sheets and hoping that the one they got was a winning ticket. Before all this info-at-fingertips you had to watch, read, and subscribe to football content and do your homework... and all that's gone now.

• Like 1

Tired of all the work that goes into this? Simple. 25 man roster, best ball. Pick ups every 4 weeks. No more lineup decisions or getting screwed because of baby mama drama. Turn the game on and enjoy. Also, each team can only have 2 qb's and you use team Qb.

While I don't philosophically disagree with you, Goodell hasn't asked for my input on rule changes, so I'm coming from the perspective of how we make FF more like the game as it is.

I understand - I don't think that is the way though. I actually think PPR is pretty geared to how the NFL works. Wides go crazy in PPR as does the NFL. Flex options allow even more options for the RB issues, etc. I don't see a problem with the 2 matching up.

However, I think I personally want to find leagues that go back to the old way of doing it. NON-PPR. RB's and QB's kind of rule here. Flex options or "scat players" don't play as much of a factor, etc.

My problem though is: Most BIG MONEY leagues don't play this way. From what I've seen all big money leagues (Internet sites) use PPR/Flex/HIGH performance scoring. My local league does the traditional so I have both options and enjoy the differances.

But to my point - I'd still HATE to see any leagues award points for penalties. That just seems crazy. It's bad enough penalties rule the NFL a lot of times.

P.S. - I think Fanduel/Draftkings "would rule" if they changed there setup. They should turn it into "drafting leagues" and not everybody able to choose the same player. If I could draft every week - I'm all in! That's the funnest part of F.F.

As is stands now - I don't play those. All that is: Who can submit the best lineup or find the best sleeper to gain advantage in lineup.

Pass.

Good observation, one that has been in the works for a while now..... I was a 20+ year fantasy veteran who finally had enough...... Had enough of the constant injuries. Had enough of the last minute game-time-decisions. Had enough of the 3rd string spare swooping in for the td after your horse did all the work. Had enough of the game turning rb's into nothing more than an afterthought. I just overall had enough... Outside of draft night, there isn't one single thing about FF that makes my pants jiggly and wet.... Pulling for my own hometown suckass team is all I worry about now - and I enjoy the game so much better this way.

I felt the same way this year. I've been in my big money league for 15 years and decided to step away for now. I've had more bad luck with players drafted in the first few rounds than I care to remember. Had I played this year, I would have had the fifth pick in a twelve team redraft. Peterson fell to the 5th pick. I would have grabbed him at that spot. How could you not? When I heard about Peterson being suspended and now probably out for the year, I realized the best decision I've made in FF the past couple of years was not playing this year.

So this post was designed to give you an opportunity to gloat that you're not being affected by the very issue that you say is ruining both games: the NFL and fantasy. Got it.

Perhaps you should consider that NFL teams are more concerned with winning games than producing points for fantasy teams, and that RBBC has come about because of the lack of humans with the requisite speed and skill set who are also built to take the punishment that an NFL RB gets on a weekly basis? Believe it or not, very few decisions by multi-million dollar corporations will ever be based on who you're starting this week.

If someone's loyalty to a REAL football team is impacted by issues with their MAKE BELIEVE football team, they might consider taking a look at their priorities.

Please. That was simply in rebuttal for people saying that I feel this way because my team sucks.

I strongly disagree that these multi million dollar corporations don't care. Without me and you watching, and having a vested interest in certain players, the NFL loses a good portion of its popularity. If it weren't for fantasy they would have had a mass exodus already due to the off field issues.

Unfortunately my priorities are not always in the proper order, so indeed my desire to root for a team is very impacted on their decisions towards my fantasy players. That said I will always root for my local NFL team. Without fantasy i would watch no one else.

i don't see many leagues allowing or adjusting for penalties anytime soon, but I have on more than one occasion wondered about +/- pts to D's and QB's for "Intentional Grounding" penalties. It is a sack essentually.

My gonads are becoming increasingly itchy.

I have found an increasingly fond appreciation for cheese in liquid form

Beer makes me drunk still

Matt Asiata sounds like cheese

FFToday is a website

It's about time we had some cutting-edge analysis in these forums. Thanks. :thumbsup:

This. I will lose interest rapidly if I'm counting on the zebras to save the day

I love the OP and the topic.

I'm one of those long-time players (17 years) of FF that finds himself burning out. There was always luck involved but now that seems to have devolved to chaos. Information and preparation used to provide some edge but today hardly so.

I much rather watch as a fan and own as a FF player Adrian Peterson, Tomlinson, Brady, Peyton, etc. than the 2nd and 3rd string guys like Asiata that we're being increasingly forced to stomach on the field and in our FF lineups.

Asiata is about to go off.

For some teams having a fantasy approach is better. Such as the jets they are stupid to not realize what Johnson can do in the passing game. He certainly didn't suck last year when titans got him involved in that.