Sign in to follow this  
browndelivers

Rookie WR uncertainty

Having a lot of heartburn over how to evaluate rookie WRs this year. We were so overwhelmed by last year's WR class that I feel like have to be extra careful not to expect the same for this year's class. I'm sure a lot of them have talent and/or are in good situations, but when I actually do a mock, I can't seem to pull the trigger and draft them. Am I missing something? Curious how you guys see, for example:

- Agholor: Rookie coming into a seemingly complicated system, certainly not #1 in targets, team will be run heavy, not convinced QB situation is stable (Bradford's knees, Sanchez's arm). On the other hand, it's a Kelly offense, they run a lot of plays, if Matthews is in the slot Agholor gets high-quality, high-ADOT targets and scores, and Evan Silva like many predicts he "Will hit big time if he wins every-down WR job." ADP soon after Allen Robinson and Decker, well before Charles Johnson (who I like a lot).

- Cooper: Not the fastest times, terrible overall offense, bad QB play, faces good pass defenses in the division and outside the division (Bengals, Jets, Browns, Lions). But he's clearly the WR1 and will be a target hog. ADP above Davante Adams, Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson, Landry (esp in PPR this doesn't make a lot of sense to me).

- Perriman: Injured. Raw. Drop issues. Flacco's second option at best. Won't have time to absorb playbook/get reps. ADP right after John Brown and before Kendall Wright and Steve Smith, which I find insane.

- Funchess: Thrown into the role, doesn't seem to be Kelvin-capable replacement (and even Kelvin, who I drafted in every league last year, had his issues), has had injury issues this preseason, Cam's inaccurate, Carolina seems to be imploding offensively. But, like Cooper, probably a target hog since they have nobody else to pass to. ADP right next to the oft-ignored Anquan Boldin, who's a decent PPR WR2/3 bet (Kaepernick won't connect with Torrey Smith, that's for sure).

- Devante Parker: I know nothing about this guy except that 1) he's injured and 2) every analyst and high-stakes FF player seems to love him. Fortunately, he's cheap right now.

And then I see that some veteran WRs seem to be completely off the radar. Brian Quick's WR 57! Guy was a stud last year before injury and Foles has to be better than the QB carousel the Rams had last year. Eddie Royal's reuniting with Cutler, White's injured, they have no clear #2 behind Alshon, and Alshon himself is injured, yet Royal's ADP is WR 49, right before Harvin and after Cruz. Stevie Johnson's ADP on ESPN is something like 224, and he's got to be decent PPR value.

Cooper

Funchess

Agholor

Parker

Perriman

I like Quick , he just needs to stay on the field .

Having a lot of heartburn over how to evaluate rookie WRs this year. We were so overwhelmed by last year's WR class that I feel like have to be extra careful not to expect the same for this year's class. I'm sure a lot of them have talent and/or are in good situations, but when I actually do a mock, I can't seem to pull the trigger and draft them. Am I missing something? Curious how you guys see, for example:

- Agholor: Rookie coming into a seemingly complicated system, certainly not #1 in targets, team will be run heavy, not convinced QB situation is stable (Bradford's knees, Sanchez's arm). On the other hand, it's a Kelly offense, they run a lot of plays, if Matthews is in the slot Agholor gets high-quality, high-ADOT targets and scores, and Evan Silva like many predicts he "Will hit big time if he wins every-down WR job." ADP soon after Allen Robinson and Decker, well before Charles Johnson (who I like a lot).

- Cooper: Not the fastest times, terrible overall offense, bad QB play, faces good pass defenses in the division and outside the division (Bengals, Jets, Browns, Lions). But he's clearly the WR1 and will be a target hog. ADP above Davante Adams, Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson, Landry (esp in PPR this doesn't make a lot of sense to me).

- Perriman: Injured. Raw. Drop issues. Flacco's second option at best. Won't have time to absorb playbook/get reps. ADP right after John Brown and before Kendall Wright and Steve Smith, which I find insane.

- Funchess: Thrown into the role, doesn't seem to be Kelvin-capable replacement (and even Kelvin, who I drafted in every league last year, had his issues), has had injury issues this preseason, Cam's inaccurate, Carolina seems to be imploding offensively. But, like Cooper, probably a target hog since they have nobody else to pass to. ADP right next to the oft-ignored Anquan Boldin, who's a decent PPR WR2/3 bet (Kaepernick won't connect with Torrey Smith, that's for sure).

- Devante Parker: I know nothing about this guy except that 1) he's injured and 2) every analyst and high-stakes FF player seems to love him. Fortunately, he's cheap right now.

And then I see that some veteran WRs seem to be completely off the radar. Brian Quick's WR 57! Guy was a stud last year before injury and Foles has to be better than the QB carousel the Rams had last year. Eddie Royal's reuniting with Cutler, White's injured, they have no clear #2 behind Alshon, and Alshon himself is injured, yet Royal's ADP is WR 49, right before Harvin and after Cruz. Stevie Johnson's ADP on ESPN is something like 224, and he's got to be decent PPR value.

Lol... don't you worry about Amari Cooper he is plenty fast. There was a rumor going around his 40 time was mis-clocked somehow, and I even SAW a digitally enhanced version of him nosing out Kevin White and another player (I THINK it was Parker.) The NFL channel was doing a bit, trying to compare players. Google it.

In any case, Coop had a downright wicked Three Cone time and his technical proficiency as a WR will allow him to play faster. He speed is being VERY misunderestimated right now.

Lastly, don't fall into the trap of thinking Oakland is going to be the train wreck it was last season on offense. The team did not have a running game of any worth until they inserted Murray into the lineup in Week 10. They went 3-3 down the stretch while other mutts like Tampa and Tennessee were tanking. More importantly, Derek Carr played some of his best football in those three wins. Two of the games were 20+ carry games against stout run defenses like Frisco and Buffalo who were still fighting for playoff berths.

The circus of ass-hats and clowns coaching this team are gone, with solid pros like Jack Del Rio, Bill Musgrove and Mike Tice running things. They won't light up scoreboards, but a few Raiders will be very fantasy relevant and Amari Cooper is one of them.

• Like 2

Lol... don't you worry about Amari Cooper he is plenty fast. There was a rumor going around his 40 time was mis-clocked somehow, and I even SAW a digitally enhanced version of him nosing out Kevin White and another player (I THINK it was Parker.) The NFL channel was doing a bit, trying to compare players. Google it.

In any case, Coop had a downright wicked Three Cone time and his technical proficiency as a WR will allow him to play faster. He speed is being VERY misunderestimated right now.

Lastly, don't fall into the trap of thinking Oakland is going to be the train wreck it was last season on offense. The team did not have a running game of any worth until they inserted Murray into the lineup in Week 10. They went 3-3 down the stretch while other mutts like Tampa and Tennessee were tanking. More importantly, Derek Carr played some of his best football in those three wins. Two of the games were 20+ carry games against stout run defenses like Frisco and Buffalo who were still fighting for playoff berths.

The circus of ass-hats and clowns coaching this team are gone, with solid pros like Jack Del Rio, Bill Musgrove and Mike Tice running things. They won't light up scoreboards, but a few Raiders will be very fantasy relevant and Amari Cooper is one of them.

Thanks a lot, that's helpful analysis. Cooper falls into that range of WRs I really like in PPR like Marshall and Landry, so it's good to know that he is likely to hold his own. He definitely has the opportunity to get serious triple-digit targets, so if he's fast and a good route runner, that would be serious value.

Thanks a lot, that's helpful analysis. Cooper falls into that range of WRs I really like in PPR like Marshall and Landry, so it's good to know that he is likely to hold his own. He definitely has the opportunity to get serious triple-digit targets, so if he's fast and a good route runner, that would be serious value.

And though the Oakland run defense SHOULD be better, overall it lacks depth and will be giving up points. He should get plenty of work.

Cooper

Aghelor

Who cares

I agree but more than likely it will be one of those who cares guys who actually leads all rookies in receiving.

Phillip Dorsett might be buried on the depth chart and injured but the colts didn't blow a 1st round pick on him for nothing. Think ODB how he missed the 1st 4 weeks and was behind Cruz and Randle. If he finds a way to crack the starting lineup by the end of the season, the sky is the limit for this kid in that offense.

Phillip Dorsett might be buried on the depth chart and injured but the colts didn't blow a 1st round pick on him for nothing. Think ODB how he missed the 1st 4 weeks and was behind Cruz and Randle. If he finds a way to crack the starting lineup by the end of the season, the sky is the limit for this kid in that offense.

Glad to see someone showing some love for Dorsett. What about Lockett? I'm thinking Agholor is in the best system to get targets.

Cooper and Parker (Tier 1 Talent and NFL ready)

Perriman, Lockett and Aghelor (Tier 2 Talent and NFL ready)

Dorsett (Tier 2 Talent but needs the opportunity)

Funchess (Not physical enough)

Cooper and Parker (Tier 1 Talent and NFL ready)

Perriman, Lockett and Aghelor (Tier 2 Talent and NFL ready)

Dorsett (Tier 2 Talent but needs the opportunity)

Funchess (Not physical enough)

Lockett may end up being in the tier 1 group

Am hearing very good things about Lockett. Has Perriman even practiced yet?

I dont think so. Im still holding him in one league with a deep bench just in case.

I dont think so. Im still holding him in one league with a deep bench just in case.

I just can't see where he does anything the first half of the season, but I'd hold as well for if and when Steve Smith Sr breaks down.

Cooper has already delivered.

Funchess, Perriman and Agholor IMO aren't doing much this year.

What do you all think about Dorsett vs Parker vs DGB moving forward?

Cooper has already delivered.

Funchess, Perriman and Agholor IMO aren't doing much this year.

What do you all think about Dorsett vs Parker vs DGB moving forward?

Parker - Improving every week and the talent is unquestioned. Plenty of heads there to feed but his talent should get him ahead of all but Landry and PERHAPS Matthews. His value is contingent on Matthews cooling off.

DGB - If he were on a team with half a passing game, he would top this list. Clear opportunity there as their WR's suck. Unfortunately, a rookie QB with a rookie WR is not the best combo.

Dorsett - With a legit shot, he could top this list, but instead he is at the bottom. He would need multiple injuries to get a shot with Hilton, Moncrief and Andre (they aren't going to give up on him after paying him) ahead of him. Next year for him.

For my reasons above, I would put Agholor, Funchess and Perriman ahead of Dorsett but all behind Parker and DGB. Agholor still has the best shot to turn it around and become big of that grouping.

I think the fins are too stupid to know how to use Parker. DGB is being used like a TE and only in the endzone, really think he could end up the most valuable of these 3 if he can move into the WR2 role. Dorsett needs a injury to happen to have a decent role in that Indy offense.

BTW, nice crystal ball there :)