Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

Ever had something happen to your kid

And feel like you had PTSD from it? About a month ago I sat my(19 month old) kid down right next to me while I searched the car for some spare change. When I turned around I looked up just in time to see him run across a busy road. Nothing happened but the driveway is a blind drive and no one would have seen him or had the chance to avoid him. I am very happy nothing happened and I have talked to him about the dangers of the road. I also bark at him if he even looks like he may make a run at it again. However I can not shake the feeling that something really really bad could have happened. He could have got smoked by a car doing 50plus and it would have been because I needed change for a mountain dew. I literally was sick over it after it happened. I hid away and threw up. I cried like a baby. A month later I am still having bad dreams about it. I still think about it every day. I still on occasion cry about it. The sh!t of it is that I am a good father. I do everything I can in order to make sure he grows up to be a healthy and well adjusted adult. Yet he slipped through the cracks to the point I could have got him killed. It haunts me.

And feel like you had PTSD from it? About a month ago I sat my(19 month old) kid down right next to me while I searched the car for some spare change. When I turned around I looked up just in time to see him run across a busy road. Nothing happened but the driveway is a blind drive and no one would have seen him or had the chance to avoid him. I am very happy nothing happened and I have talked to him about the dangers of the road. I also bark at him if he even looks like he may make a run at it again. However I can not shake the feeling that something really really bad could have happened. He could have got smoked by a car doing 50plus and it would have been because I needed change for a mountain dew. I literally was sick over it after it happened. I hid away and threw up. I cried like a baby. A month later I am still having bad dreams about it. I still think about it every day. I still on occasion cry about it. The sh!t of it is that I am a good father. I do everything I can in order to make sure he grows up to be a healthy and well adjusted adult. Yet he slipped through the cracks to the point I could have got him killed. It haunts me.

I hear ya. You have to power through though. It's your only choice. You can't do anything about what happened, but you can do something about what will happen.

Oh yeah.....kids are always up to something idiotic.....

My 18 year old was driving my CRV back from the zoo with his 15 year old brother inside when he rear-ended another car doing 35. My car was demolished, but neither of them were hurt. That was bad for a while. I could have lost both of them.

I made him drive the next day so he wouldn't freak out about it every time he drove. I think that helped everyone to start getting over it.

If he dies, he dies

Also, sorry that happened. That would freak the shiot out of me

A few months ago I brought my daughter to the mall for her second driving lesson. It has a very large parking area that no one uses until Christmas time. It was raining really hard so I told her to get out and go around and for some stoopid reason I decided to just jump over the console. I forgot to put it in park. When I realized it, I didn't know if she ran in front our behind the car. Pure panic. Thankfully, she ran around and the back. All I could think of was what if she had ran in front of it instead. I still think about it often.

I hear ya. You have to power through though. It's your only choice. You can't do anything about what happened, but you can do something about what will happen.

I know I have to. I am just having a really really hard time with it. Every time I think about it my minds eye sees him laying there dead. It just upsets me soooooooo bad.

Not one of my own kids but my nephew. When he was about 10 I was pulling him and the other kids around on an inner tube tied to a a rope behind a snowmobile in a field on their ranch. When we got done we drove down the hill to the house which kind of sits in a hole. We came in fairly hot but I expected the inner tube just to slide up behind the snowmobile where I would catch him. But the road was curved, so when I stopped the tube swung out around the sled in an arc. It was icy as fock so the thing didn't even slow down at all. He swung by the right side of the sled, luckily there was nothing there to hit. Then he arced all the way around the front of the sled and wrapped back around the other side where there was telephone pole, a creek, and a little wooden bridge over the creek. I was screaming at him to jump off but he just froze. He just missed the power pole and as the tube went off the other side of the road it tumbled and threw him off in the snow before it hit the bridge. He was unharmed but it scared the living hell out of me. It was a good half hour before I could even go inside and face his parents. 15 years later and it still freaks me out just thinking about it.

I was a stay at home dad for 2 years when my daughter was 1-3. One day I had her down in the basement with me as I did some laundry. She was just crawling around on the rug and I heard her start choking, It was pure instinct, I instantly just grabbed her and faced her to the floor and started lifting her and dropping her onto my clenched hands. She spits up this piece of a red coffee stirrer that I must have had in a pocket for some stupid reason. She was totally fine after that but it really shook me up. I live in the country. There is no calling 911. She could have easily died. I still think about it sometimes and am amazed that my reaction was so instinctual. It's weird in a way because I never did that before, it was just instantly I subconsciously knew what to do. She is 12 now and I worry sick about her. There are so many dangers in this world.

Any of you let your kids do what you did as a kid? Like play outside by themselves for hours at the age of 8-9? I know when I was that age I used to love to go outside with my friends exploring. Like go into the woods and spend all day there. Parents wouldn't hear from me (no cell phones) until we got back for dinner. No way in hell I'd let my kid do that nowadays

Any of you let your kids do what you did as a kid? Like play outside by themselves for hours at the age of 8-9? I know when I was that age I used to love to go outside with my friends exploring. Like go into the woods and spend all day there. Parents wouldn't hear from me (no cell phones) until we got back for dinner. No way in hell I'd let my kid do that nowadays

Not a chance. I would never let my kids do the dangerous things I did as a child. I look back on it and wonder how in the fock I survived.

Terrifying stuff, my wife calls me a helicopter dad because I am constantly trying to stay a step ahead of my kid hurting himself. Had a good argument over the staircase. He has learned to hold onto the balusters and walk up/down. But I always make sure I'm there a couple steps down if he falls. My wife declares he will never learn if I'm there. So she lets him go unsupervised. He fell (not too bad but scared him pretty good) I was livid and told her to get her head out of her rearend. He isn't even 2 yet. I understand we can't prevent everything but I feel it's my job to at least try my very best to prevent catastrophic injury

Terrifying stuff, my wife calls me a helicopter dad because I am constantly trying to stay a step ahead of my kid hurting himself. Had a good argument over the staircase. He has learned to hold onto the balusters and walk up/down. But I always make sure I'm there a couple steps down if he falls. My wife declares he will never learn if I'm there. So she lets him go unsupervised. He fell (not too bad but scared him pretty good) I was livid and told her to get her head out of her rearend. He isn't even 2 yet. I understand we can't prevent everything but I feel it's my job to at least try my very best to prevent catastrophic injury

I am kinda in the same boat in the fact we have stairs and he likes to climb them. However we have a baby gate up that eases my mind.

I am kinda in the same boat in the fact we have stairs and he likes to climb them. However we have a baby gate up that eases my mind.

oh, my place is the same way, its like a fortress... baby gates at the stairs and his play room. My wife was getting her things together and just told him to go down and wait for her. Being a parent and juggling a million things alot of the time with sleep deprivation is an incredible challenge. I get that. I just don't see it as an excuse to let your guard down. Accidents happen in a split second and he is at an age where he is testing limits. I think her argument is that he is now accustomed to having someone be right near him all the time, so when he is at pre-pre school and has to navigate something completely on his own he has to get more used to dealing with it by himself. Its a valid point. Have to try to find balance like in everything else in life.

This is me to a tee. Paranoid as hell and many arguments with the wife because sometimes she inexplicably does really stupid stuff and just hopes for the best. But I'm also being way too neurotic about it

This is me to a tee. Paranoid as hell and many arguments with the wife because sometimes she inexplicably does really stupid stuff and just hopes for the best. But I'm also being way too neurotic about it

:cheers:

I take the opposite approach with my kid. Maybe because I spent my youth skateboarding and doing jackass bits, before there was jackass. I don't encourage dangerous activity, but I think breaking bones is all a part of growing up.

She's quite the daredevil. She's never really been a runner though.

One time I got in the elevator with the girl but the boy (maybe 2 or 3 a at the time) didn't get in and the door closed. So I pressed 1, got out, ran down the stairs with the girl. We weren't gone but a minute and some lady was walking away with my son! I don't know if she was trying to help or trying to kidnap him. He ran back to me, that was that. Never did speak to her.

One time I got in the elevator with the girl but the boy (maybe 2 or 3 a at the time) didn't get in and the door closed. So I pressed 1, got out, ran down the stairs with the girl. We weren't gone but a minute and some lady was walking away with my son! I don't know if she was trying to help or trying to kidnap him. He ran back to me, that was that. Never did speak to her.

That would freak me the fock out. I would have questioned the woman. There are good people in this world and she may have been taking him to find help......but I am not willing to bet on it.

First weekend we moved into our new home, my son who was 2 is quite the acrobat. He was standing on the coach and fell backwards from standing up. His head was the first thing to hit the hard wood floor. We didn't have our throw rug down yet. I'm scarred by this. I made him sleep with us for days but he was ok. Anytime any of my kids climb on the couch I jump up and stand behind them. I also have gates at the top and bottom of my stairs.

Think a lot of parents feel this way. But is the world objectively more dangerous?

Most of the couples I know, the guy is far more laissez-faire than the woman. I figured it usually worked that way, as it seems the mom is usually the protector in the rest of the animal world.