Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Brock Osweiler headed to Houston

Schefter reporting Texans are giving Brock Osweiler a 4-year, $72 million deal. Have to see the details but that seems insane even with the expanded salary cap.

Im stunned by this. Broncos are now in full panic/rebuild mode at qb. Id be looking to trade up in the draft.

Im stunned by this. Broncos are now in full panic/rebuild mode at qb. Id be looking to trade up in the draft.

Fitzpatrick could be a nice stop-gap, then they could draft a QB in 2nd/3rd round or wait until next year.

But yeah...72 mil? :shocking:

To add to this I also heard Denver has some interest in Kaep of all people.

I like this move, assuming Brock wasn't going to resign and he played like anyway, maybe the Broncos have given up on him.

I don't like the idea of Keap in that system, I don't think he fits at all. Broncos could still be a playoff team if they get a journeyman proven QB in there, given Manning was bottom of the barrel in stats this year. They could draft a QB prospect and start developing them over the next few years. This seems like a lot smarter of a plan thank trying to cram a scrambling guy like RG3 or Kaep into a pocket passer system, those guys can't make reads downfield.

Schefter reporting Texans are giving Brock Osweiler a 4-year, $72 million deal. Have to see the details but that seems insane even with the expanded salary cap.

Bah gawd, that's insanity. He'll never live up to that contract. Unbelievable, no wonder the Broncos are cutting ties.

No reason for panic, there a plenty of QB talents in the NFL who are light years above what Manning did for them last season. Panic would result in picking up sideshow Bob or Kaepernick.

• Like 1

No reason for panic, there a plenty of QB talents in the NFL who are light years above what Manning did for them last season. Panic would result in picking up sideshow Bob or Kaepernick.

Who are some of these talents?

You just listed the only thing that resembles this "talent available" you speak of. Its crickets otherwise.

Ryan Fitzpatrick would do no worse than Osweiller as a game manager in Denver

​He isn't as smart or skilled as Peyton, but did okay in NYJ with similar WR talent

Add a decent TE and a good young prospect behind him and press START for Denver

Just my 3 cents

• Like 1

Ryan Fitzpatrick would do no worse than Osweiller as a game manager in Denver

​He isn't as smart or skilled as Peyton, but did okay in NYJ with similar WR talent

Add a decent TE and a good young prospect behind him and press START for Denver

Just my 3 cents

I could see Fitz being a short term fix while they search for a longer term solution. I'd sooner him on the roster than some overpaid hack like Kaep.

RG3 is too much of a project right now, I think they really want a journeyman who can just manage games, make a few plays, let them run the ball and let the D stomp on people.

Wow good for the Texans plus they land L Miller good day for that franchise.

I could see Fitz being a short term fix while they search for a longer term solution. I'd sooner him on the roster than some overpaid hack like Kaep.

:thumbsup:

This.

Fitz can be an adequate game manager. He does not need to put the team on his shoulders. He just needs to put 20+ points up on the board each week and not throw any picks.

He showed he could do it in New York.

I suspect his asking price just went up with some of the crazy signings out there. I'd guess he's getting at least a 2 year deal now. Maybe even 3 years.

Wow good for the Texans plus they land L Miller good day for that franchise.

If they can muster up a decent WR2 and TE1 here, they could win that division and do playoff damage IMHO

If they can muster up a decent WR2 and TE1 here, they could win that division and do playoff damage IMHO

They have talent in the form of a WR2, but can he put down the blunt and play football?

Yes Mr Strong needs to get himself together and start playing football .

Who are some of these talents?

Fitz, Keenum, Freeman (who is completely under the radar), Schaub, are names I like before Bob and Kaep. They are all plug and play.

Fitz, Keenum, Freeman (who is completely under the radar), Schaub, are names I like before Bob and Kaep. They are all plug and play.

Freeman? Wow he is horrendous. Any of the last 4 are bad

:thumbsup:

This.

Fitz can be an adequate game manager. He does not need to put the team on his shoulders. He just needs to put 20+ points up on the board each week and not throw any picks.

He showed he could do it in New York.

I suspect his asking price just went up with some of the crazy signings out there. I'd guess he's getting at least a 2 year deal now. Maybe even 3 years.

I'm reading some of this and laughing, though Oakland's turn is coming soon with Derek Carr. Fitz went to a three win team and turned them into a ten win playoff contender. What bigger surprise was there this season than the Jets??? In their game at Oakland he was driving that offense then went down with a hand injury. They are a MUCH worse team without him, I saw first hand that day in Oakland. And now New York is having fits right now signing him. Sure, he wants to stay there but if anyone thinks he's going to be a 'game manager' or 'bus driver' or any other cute name you want to gloss him with, for anything less than $19 mill, they're dreaming. Dreaming.

Denver is focked, though I'm sure the Lombardi trophy and the sheer inevitability of the fact are lessening the impact. I actually wanted them to keep Oz, as he made them very beatable last year. Either way, Kap, RGIII, Manning or Elway out of retirement, some rook in the draft, I could care less as I like my team's chances against them just fine.

I'm reading some of this and laughing, though Oakland's turn is coming soon with Derek Carr. Fitz went to a three win team and turned them into a ten win playoff contender. What bigger surprise was there this season than the Jets??? In their game at Oakland he was driving that offense then went down with a hand injury. They are a MUCH worse team without him, I saw first hand that day in Oakland. And now New York is having fits right now signing him. Sure, he wants to stay there but if anyone thinks he's going to be a 'game manager' or 'bus driver' or any other cute name you want to gloss him with, for anything less than $19 mill, they're dreaming. Dreaming.

Denver is focked, though I'm sure the Lombardi trophy and the sheer inevitability of the fact are lessening the impact. I actually wanted them to keep Oz, as he made them very beatable last year. Either way, Kap, RGIII, Manning or Elway out of retirement, some rook in the draft, I could care less as I like my team's chances against them just fine.

Osweiler was only more attractive because he is young and could still get better as a player(ie. there is some upside). He played reasonably well as a rookie starter, but he was playing with short fields because the Denver D was giving him great field position a lot of the time. If he was a stud, he would have been putting up 35-40 points a game. That didnt happen.

someone else on this board (not sure if it was this thread or not) said the team actually looked very beatable with him at QB and I agree.

as of today, there are players in free agency who are currently better than him.

Fitz is one of them.

That being said, Osweiler will learn from his experience last year and will become a better player as he gains more experience. The question you need to ask is this: How much better?

This hurts Denver, but not as much as you think.

If Denver signs Fitz or another Middling QB they can still win.

All they really need is a QB that can put up 20-25 points a game. The defense will be responsible for 3-7 points and the opposing team will be held to less than 20 points most weeks.

If they dont sign a QB, they will trade for one.

I suspect they can get Hoyer reasonably cheap, and I think Hoyer can put up reasonable numbers in this offense.

Freeman? Wow he is horrendous. Any of the last 4 are bad

Are any as bad as Manning was last year? Obviously the Broncs don't need a HOFer, they need a guy who can run an offense. All the guys I named are capable.

Are any as bad as Manning was last year? Obviously the Broncs don't need a HOFer, they need a guy who can run an offense. All the guys I named are capable.

They need a guy who won't commit costly turnovers, because that's the only way you're beating that defense. My biggest apprehension as a Raider fan is that they draft Derrick Henry. But bring in a turnover machine like Hoyer or Cap? I'll pay their cab fare to the stadium.

Osweiler was only more attractive because he is young and could still get better as a player(ie. there is some upside). He played reasonably well as a rookie starter, but he was playing with short fields because the Denver D was giving him great field position a lot of the time. If he was a stud, he would have been putting up 35-40 points a game. That didnt happen.

someone else on this board (not sure if it was this thread or not) said the team actually looked very beatable with him at QB and I agree.

as of today, there are players in free agency who are currently better than him.

Fitz is one of them.

That being said, Osweiler will learn from his experience last year and will become a better player as he gains more experience. The question you need to ask is this: How much better?

This hurts Denver, but not as much as you think.

If Denver signs Fitz or another Middling QB they can still win.

All they really need is a QB that can put up 20-25 points a game. The defense will be responsible for 3-7 points and the opposing team will be held to less than 20 points most weeks.

If they dont sign a QB, they will trade for one.

I suspect they can get Hoyer reasonably cheap, and I think Hoyer can put up reasonable numbers in this offense.

What folks need to remember is that Oz was in the last year of his rookie deal. Dude has been holding a clipboard, learning from Manning no less, and still doesn't get it after five years.

Yes Denver is in big trouble. QBs don't grow on trees. They got nobody and from what I've heard this isn't a good draft to land an NFL-ready QB (not that it ever really is).

Hard to trade for one because anyone who has a decent QB isn't giving him up.

They have to hope they strike gold in picking off the scrap heap and the odds of that are exceedingly low.

I think they struggle to even make the playoffs next year.

What folks need to remember is that Oz was in the last year of his rookie deal. Dude has been holding a clipboard, learning from Manning no less, and still doesn't get it after five years.

The only folks that don't seem to know this are in the Texan's FO, because no one else can believe it. This type of high risk speculation is ultimately not good for the NFL. Makes the Bradford deal look good.

The only folks that don't seem to know this are in the Texan's FO, because no one else can believe it. This type of high risk speculation is ultimately not good for the NFL. Makes the Bradford deal look good.

Probably the Flacco and Cutler deals are driving the overall market as well.

you cant say that for sure. The sample size is too small.

but what you can say is that he looked ok. not spectacular. But most people in their first year as a starter fall into this category.

The fact of the matter is this:

You can only learn so much by sitting on the bench.

The biggest thing a QB learns by sitting and watching someone else do it is you see how that QB handles certain situations, and you can incorporate that into your own game.

but you dont have confidence in what you have learned until you have actually done it yourself. so there will be trial and error.

That being said, Denver brass has seen more of him than any of us have. If they really felt he was worth more than 15 mil, they would have offered it to him. It is possible (and even likely) that they have seen enough to know that Defenses will adjust, and once they learn how to defend him, he maybe wont be as effective. This happens a lot to QB's.

I cant count the number of rookie QB's who come in, play well, then come year 3 (give or take) teams have figured out how to defend that QB and the numbers decline. At that point it is up to the QB to show he can learn and adjust to the way defenses are playing him to make them do something different.

at this point all this kid has shown is that he has the talent to play at this level. He has yet to show the mental toughness or the learning capacity.

I'm not saying he doesnt have these things. I'm saying he hasnt played long enough to show he has what it takes. (at least not for sure)

I think this move is a crapshoot for Houston. I'd say the move has a 50% chance of being a good (or bad) decision.

I do think that Elway knows what makes a good QB. and I wouldnt bet against him. If he wanted Osweiler bad enough, he would make it happen. so (for me at least) I'd be inclined to not pick this kid for my fantasy football team. (at least not as a starter.... backup maybe)

Yikes. Fitz is the crown jewel here and thats pretty sad. the other 3 guys I wouldnt even roster as backups besides maybe Keenum as a 3. Schaub is god awful. RG3 at least showed he has a big season inside of him potentially, and double ditto for Kaep.

Thats more proof that the QB position lacks quality/depth in the NFL. Paying that much for a NOT known commodity is crazy. Or, even worse is when a guy has 1 or 2 solid seasons like Kaperstink and then gets over-hyped and overpaid. Some team ends up in cap hell. What a mess.

Id say a good 1/3 of the starters in the league right now are NOT starter-material. Maybe worse than that.

Someone on Reddit (or maybe here) did a blind comparison of Brock's stats vs. another QB with almost identical stats. One got cut, the other got a huge contract with 30+ million guaranteed.

I don't know what Brock has done to warrant that contract, but Houston will regret that deal in a year.

you cant say that for sure. The sample size is too small.

but what you can say is that he looked ok. not spectacular. But most people in their first year as a starter fall into this category.

The fact of the matter is this:

You can only learn so much by sitting on the bench.

The biggest thing a QB learns by sitting and watching someone else do it is you see how that QB handles certain situations, and you can incorporate that into your own game.

but you dont have confidence in what you have learned until you have actually done it yourself. so there will be trial and error.

That being said, Denver brass has seen more of him than any of us have. If they really felt he was worth more than 15 mil, they would have offered it to him. It is possible (and even likely) that they have seen enough to know that Defenses will adjust, and once they learn how to defend him, he maybe wont be as effective. This happens a lot to QB's.

I cant count the number of rookie QB's who come in, play well, then come year 3 (give or take) teams have figured out how to defend that QB and the numbers decline. At that point it is up to the QB to show he can learn and adjust to the way defenses are playing him to make them do something different.

at this point all this kid has shown is that he has the talent to play at this level. He has yet to show the mental toughness or the learning capacity.

I'm not saying he doesnt have these things. I'm saying he hasnt played long enough to show he has what it takes. (at least not for sure)

I think this move is a crapshoot for Houston. I'd say the move has a 50% chance of being a good (or bad) decision.

I do think that Elway knows what makes a good QB. and I wouldnt bet against him. If he wanted Osweiler bad enough, he would make it happen. so (for me at least) I'd be inclined to not pick this kid for my fantasy football team. (at least not as a starter.... backup maybe)

Elway is a better judge of QB of talent than what people give him credit for. Tebow had his big playoff win, Elway had no problem shipping him for draft picks when his value was high, and everyone else wanted them to move forward with Tebow. Unless at the time he had a gentleman's agreement with Manning that he was gong to come and play there (which he might have behind the scenes, who knows).

Had Manning not retired, Elway would have forced him out as well.

I agree with you on Brock, Elway obviously didn't see starting QB material in this guy, otherwise he would have moved on signing him, given the black hole of QB's that are currently available. Signing Sanchize clearly says they're ok with a plug n play journeyman for a couple of years, depending on who they sign as their starter.

I didn't like what I saw from Brock when he played, he wasn't terribly accurate. Sure he threw a nicer ball than Mannings dead ducks, but still didn't do much to help the team win.

I think when we look back in a year, Elway will be very glad he saved the cap space and didn't bother signing Brock. Denver can afford a few mediocre years while they rebuild the offense.

Thats more proof that the QB position lacks quality/depth in the NFL. Paying that much for a NOT known commodity is crazy. Or, even worse is when a guy has 1 or 2 solid seasons like Kaperstink and then gets over-hyped and overpaid. Some team ends up in cap hell. What a mess.

Id say a good 1/3 of the starters in the league right now are NOT starter-material. Maybe worse than that.

If you want to get by with a journeyman QB, you need a stud defense, and probably a stud RB as well. Even then, it's difficult to go deep in the playoffs (for most teams) without a QB who can make some plays, Denver being a most recent exception.

I think over time, the adage "defense wins championships" has proven to be true more often than not. Even so, almost every team out there would rather have a Stud QB than a stud D/ST unit.