Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

** 2016 NFL Draft Round 1 - Discussion Thread **

Wanted nothing t do with Tunsil, and that was before the bong. The draft fell horribly, but Harvgeeaves or Treadwell would have been easier to take. Joseph would have been ok too. But when the draft starts going sideways like it did, you have to react. You either go up or back.

I would of rather had Lawson or even Jack there - least superior upside to what you got. Nobody had him in the top 10.

1.30 - Cardinals select Robert Nkemdiche, DT

Jesus he part of the dam Mafia? His posse looked like it

Frisco could have had this kid staying pat in the second.

But but...Trent Baalke. :P

I would of rather had Lawson or even Jack there - least superior upside to what you got. Nobody had him in the top 10.

No doubt. The draft took a turn when San Diego took Bosa. Reese has to know fhen Tunsil was going to be in a free fall and should have adjusted.

A'Shawn Robinson or R. Ragland on my wish list. Love to have either.

Beyond this, pick is a fail.

Could have had Billings or even Jack and took a 2nd round (at best) CB. Billings, Jack. M Alexander, either Bama DL, V Butler, K Clark, all available and they took a giant reach instead. FAIL.

But that ( o )( o ) was awesome!

Found her.

God the internet is a wondefully creepy thing.

https://vine.co/v/b3Y5vXKMtnI

https://vine.co/v/b39uIHDi79F

1.32 - Seahawks select Germain Ifedi, OT

Not particularly familiar with Ifedi, although he was mentioned in Seahawks' mocks. Pretty happy with any addition to the offensive line at this point, though.

Not particularly familiar with Ifedi, although he was mentioned in Seahawks' mocks. Pretty happy with any addition to the offensive line at this point, though.

the scouting report says hes a huge man with very large arms & solid frame. Very strong. stays on his feet and can get movement with his run blocks. solid pass protector who can mirror and anchor. will not be bull rushed, but can be beat by speed rushers on the edge as his speed is only average.

scout report also says he may not be agile or fast enough to be a tackle, and may end up being an ideal guard (at least for the first year or two of his career)

He's a Total Mauler.

likely to start day one at guard, then may move to RT. Has enough upside to eventually be a LT but difficult to say if he will rise that far.

• Like 1

Nickel corners don't cover the likes of Dez Bryant. HTH.

I studied the CBs in this draft intently. If they drafted Apple with the intent of using him primarily in the slot, then it's more of a stupid focking pick than it already seems.

the scouting report says hes a huge man with very large arms & solid frame. Very strong. stays on his feet and can get movement with his run blocks. solid pass protector who can mirror and anchor. will not be bull rushed, but can be beat by speed rushers on the edge as his speed is only average.

scout report also says he may not be agile or fast enough to be a tackle, and may end up being an ideal guard (at least for the first year or two of his career)

He's a Total Mauler.

likely to start day one at guard, then may move to RT. Has enough upside to eventually be a LT but difficult to say if he will rise that far.

I'm really surprised thought Spriggs was the better pick at that point.

You might get Ragland in the 3rd. I'm hoping for Mackensie Alexander or Chris Jones.

I'm really surprised thought Spriggs was the better pick at that point.

Yeah, I thought so too.

scouting reports I saw seemed to be mixed. some liked Spriggs more, some like Ifedi more.

I think Spriggs has more upside, but Ifedi is a bit safer.

Because of his strength, I think he could be a road Grader of a guard.

and he cant be bullrushed, which is a tremendous quality to have on the inside.

on the outside, he can be beat by speed rushers and by counter moves that require lateral agility. I'm sure he can be coached up a bit. And Carroll is the guy to do it. Seattle does a good job with their line coaches.

It will be interesting to see where he lands. If Carroll thinks he will be a RT, who am I to argue with him.

I fear Ramsey was the next Ed Reed, and we passed. The other side is, I fear we would of stuck him at corner and he would have never gotten the chance, and - been just an above average corner... Zeke could be a bigger difference maker than Ramsey, in his role - he better damn well be.

if you have the choice between ed reed and emmitt smith, you pick smith. the reason is that a safety--no matter how good--is not a catalytic player that can elevate the whole defense. the defensive positions that can accomplish that are edge rusher, CB, and MLB. safety is a support position, and if you have to rely on him, you have a mediocre defense. ramsey would have made more of a contribution at CB, but not for a couple of years.

by comparison, QB and RB touch the ball far more often than any other offensive player. people talk about the triplets, but the engine that made the '90s DAL offense work was smith. and there is no question--garrett wants to emulate the jimmy johnson cowboys. that's why even though i would have preferred ramsey, i can get on board with this pick.

even moreso since this is a particularly deep DL draft, and quite shallow on offensive difference-makers.

agreed. i'm also liking dodd, and jack is very, very tempting (although i've heard that DAL took him completely off their board).

I studied the CBs in this draft intently. If they drafted Apple with the intent of using him primarily in the slot, then it's more of a stupid focking pick than it already seems.

Well, they have 2 starting CB's right now. I don't see Jenkins or DRC moving into the nickel corner role. Do you?

Well, they have 2 starting CB's right now. I don't see Jenkins or DRC moving into the nickel corner role. Do you?

nickel corner and slot corner are not the same thing. once he took over the starting role, scandrick moved inside for the nickel package, and the 3rd corner played outside.

nickel corner and slot corner are not the same thing. once he took over the starting role, scandrick moved inside for the nickel package, and the 3rd corner played outside.

Not on the Giants, unless that's going to change. The Giant starting CB's stay on the outside. Eh, wtf do I know what they have planned for this kid. Still trying to figure out why he was taken at all.

:mad: Connor Shaw

Haha. Everyone forgets about him. Guys like him may never get a chance no matter how bad the qbs in front of him are.

If anyone is interested, (marshal, and any others). The way I understand it. Seattle is moving Gilliam to LT, and Ifedi will be RT.

Those 2 moves are set in stone.

Right now, Britt will stay at LG.

Lewis will stay at C.

Glowinski will be given the first shot at RG.

Those 3 spots are alittle on the fluid side, depending how the rest of the draft, and camp looks.

• Like 1

Yeah, I thought so too.

scouting reports I saw seemed to be mixed. some liked Spriggs more, some like Ifedi more.

I think Spriggs has more upside, but Ifedi is a bit safer.

Because of his strength, I think he could be a road Grader of a guard.

and he cant be bullrushed, which is a tremendous quality to have on the inside.

on the outside, he can be beat by speed rushers and by counter moves that require lateral agility. I'm sure he can be coached up a bit. And Carroll is the guy to do it. Seattle does a good job with their line coaches.

It will be interesting to see where he lands. If Carroll thinks he will be a RT, who am I to argue with him.

What's funny is we were saying similar things about the offensive linemen in last year's draft, and most of them struggled horribly. Including the first rounders. The only one who didn't get handled roughly was probably Scherff.

I've heard crazy talk of DRC going to safety. Were the Giants happy with him last year?

I actually like Apple. A lot. But I was looking at WJ3 for Oakland, feeling he was better suited as a nickel corner. Oakland has two big, physical, very talented outside corners in Sean Smith and David Amerson, both who graded out in the 80's by PFF last year.

I joked about Dez because Apple has some work to do, mainly with turning his back on the ball and getting grabby in his coverage. Guys like Dez are going to eat his lunch until he gets acclimated.

if you have the choice between ed reed and emmitt smith, you pick smith. the reason is that a safety--no matter how good--is not a catalytic player that can elevate the whole defense. the defensive positions that can accomplish that are edge rusher, CB, and MLB. safety is a support position, and if you have to rely on him, you have a mediocre defense. ramsey would have made more of a contribution at CB, but not for a couple of years.

by comparison, QB and RB touch the ball far more often than any other offensive player. people talk about the triplets, but the engine that made the '90s DAL offense work was smith. and there is no question--garrett wants to emulate the jimmy johnson cowboys. that's why even though i would have preferred ramsey, i can get on board with this pick.

IF we follow thru, and IF we fill out the next couple of rounds with impact, play-today type defensive players - then yes, I can and will get on board with this move. People think I hate Zeke - far from it, I love his talent.

But let me read off these names - they start from 2015 and work back to 2006: AP, D. Murray, L. McCoy, AP, M. Jones-Drew, A. Foster, C. Johnson, AP, LT and LT2.... These are the names of the league's leading rushers for the past 10 years. Among the 10, the entire lot - has all of 2 playoff wins, (combined) during that stretch. 1 was Murray in 2014, the other was all the way back in 2007 with LT2... Leading rushers, even top rushing games, make fantasy guys giddy, sell jerseys and make ESPN highlight films - but they don't automatically win when it matters... I've asked several people in the last 12 hours to name the starting RBs for the last 2 SB winners (the broncs and pats) - nobody could do it.

I'm not saying Zeke wont' make a difference, he will. But I'm saying the return of Romo and Dez for a full year, along with a very nice back in the later rounds - would have been almost as formidable. I would have much rather moved down, taken Lawson maybe - and stockpiled defensive picks for the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

What's funny is we were saying similar things about the offensive linemen in last year's draft, and most of them struggled horribly. Including the first rounders. The only one who didn't get handled roughly was probably Scherff.

True but Scherff was projected as our right tackle. In training camp he was getting embarrassed so we quickly moved him to right guard. A really smart move by the coaches since he had a great rookie year. He's gonna be solid for a decade.

True but Scherff was projected as our right tackle. In training camp he was getting embarrassed so we quickly moved him to right guard. A really smart move by the coaches since he had a great rookie year. He's gonna be solid for a decade.

a lot of drafted tackles struggle in the early going and need to be moved inside.

the Jump from playing tackle in College to playing Tackle at the NFL level is a Tough transition for many. and lots need a year or two at guard before they can transition back to tackle at the NFL level.

Its a pretty normal scenario.

I wouldnt be surprised if this kid is back at Right Tackle in a year (maybe two years)