Sign in to follow this  
Hardcore troubadour

Agree or Disagree?

Political contributions by businesses and Wall Street are an investment more than they are an expression of free speech, as the Supreme Court ruled in the citizens United case?

Agree. Investment, retainer, bribe in advance, whatever you wish to call it.

I agree. But even if I thought it was a matter of free speech, how can it be construed as speech when you can contribute to opposing sides? If you share a political idealogy with a candidate or party that would be one thing, but you can't say two things at the same time, can you? You can't yell out "give me liberty, or give me death" and similitaneously yell out " I'll accept oppression if you let me live". Why do we accept such nonsense?

Wall Street is just a drop in the bucket, 15 of the 20 biggest donors are unions, who give 99% of all funding to democrats

meanwhile people complain about Banks, who fund 51% to Republicans and 49% to Democrats

Wall Street is just a drop in the bucket, 15 of the 20 biggest donors are unions, who give 99% of all funding to democrats

meanwhile people complain about Banks, who fund 51% to Republicans and 49% to Democrats

and the majority of union work is government funded, go figure.

So why shouldn't we complain about the banks? The fact that they contribute to both sides is worse. Thats the problem, see. If it's about speech, then fine, speak all you want. But hedging isn't speech. It's just hedging to protect and grow your investment. Ateast if the democrats lose, so do the unions. The banks win either way, and that's not good for the rest of us.

I see it as banks stay neutral, where as unions keep people from being employed

The results tell a different story. The banks keep winning and the unions keep losing. Hard to unionize people when the jobs go elsewhere and the banks profit more when they do. But if you won't see it I don't know what to tell you. I don't remember the last time a bank made anything. They haven't gotten rid of unions like they would like to. They just got rid of the jobs. No teamsters in Mexico or China.

I dunno, I see so much red tape fat that should be cut off from unions, organizing protests where people voted not to have unions, blocking people from working or pushing patrons in other directions

I don't like banks, but I think unions are a greater evil

if you want to be an electrician you basically have to be in the union, which is against what I stand for

I dunno, I see so much red tape fat that should be cut off from unions, organizing protests where people voted not to have unions, blocking people from working or pushing patrons in other directions

I don't like banks, but I think unions are a greater evil

if you want to be an electrician you basically have to be in the union, which is against what I stand for

That's fine. But this contributing to both sides is BS. That's not free speech, like the Supreme Court says. Pick your side and let the chips fall where they may.

That's fine. But this contributing to both sides is BS. That's not free speech, like the Supreme Court says. Pick your side and let the chips fall where they may.

is my free speech denied or hindered when my tax dollars are used to fund unions which in turn fund Democrats ?

I'd say both institutions have no business in politics. :thumbsup:

is my free speech denied or hindered when my tax dollars are used to fund unions which in turn fund Democrats ?

I'd say both institutions have no business in politics. :thumbsup:

Don't sweat it, your tax dollars went to bribe the Saudis to be friends with us.

is my free speech denied or hindered when my tax dollars are used to fund unions which in turn fund Democrats with my tax dollars ?

Its not your tax dollars. It's their salary, and they can do what they want with it.

Agree. Investment, retainer, bribe in advance, whatever you wish to call it.

This.

Its not your tax dollars. It's their salary, and they can do what they want with it.

calling bullshit, the workers don't have a choice where the money goes either.

And it is my tax dollars, and yours and everyone else's.

Don't sweat it, your tax dollars went to bribe the Saudis to be friends with us.

And then the Saudis bribed Hillary so she won't release what really happened on 9/11. And so they can continue chopping off people's heads without us condemning it.

calling bullshit, the workers don't have a choice where the money goes either.

And it is my tax dollars, and yours and everyone else's.

The workers elect their union leadership. If they are against it they have the means to change it. And when does your tax dollars transform into their salary?

The workers elect their union leadership. If they are against it they have the means to change it. And when does your tax dollars transform into their salary?

the majority of government projects are union no ? As well as the majority of municipal workers are union.

Where does the government get their money ? The tax payer, no ?

:doh:

agree

Agree.

All elections for national office should be 100% publicly funded using only the money people approve when they file their taxes (that "do you wish to contribute $3 to the election fund thingy).

Agree.

All elections for national office should be 100% publicly funded using only the money people approve when they file their taxes (that "do you wish to contribute $3 to the election fund thingy).

I agree: Publicly funded elections and make Election Day a national holiday to enable people to get to the polls.

I also think voting should be mandatory with a "none of the above" option.

The results tell a different story. The banks keep winning and the unions keep losing. Hard to unionize people when the jobs go elsewhere and the banks profit more when they do. But if you won't see it I don't know what to tell you. I don't remember the last time a bank made anything. They haven't gotten rid of unions like they would like to. They just got rid of the jobs. No teamsters in Mexico or China.

Or American Federation of State and Municipal Employees ot the National Education Association. These govenrment unions are not losing jobs they are getting bigger and bigger.

I agree: Publicly funded elections and make Election Day a national holiday to enable people to get to the polls.

I also think voting should be mandatory with a "none of the above" option.

:thumbsup: I completely agree. I don't know that I want everyone in the country voting. See the Kardashians, the voice, american idiol, etc.

Or American Federation of State and Municipal Employees ot the National Education Association. These govenrment unions are not losing jobs they are getting bigger and bigger.

Most municipal unions are prohibited from going on strike. So, they really don't hold the bargaining power that a trade or a manufacturing Union would. Most union money is spent with the goal of keeping what they have, they really don't make many gains at this point, and if they do, it's negotiated and there is a cost offset( give back) for any gains. I'm not saying unions are perfect and full of the hardest working people on earth. Far from it, and they do plenty of damage to themselves.