Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Buffalo at Seattle: In-Game Discussion

Bills would have been down by 3 and been able to attempt a FG to tie had the first half not ended with:

1. "Running into" the kicker penalty

2. Make the kicker leave the field

3. The refs take too long to get the kicking ball, don't reset the game clock and give delay of game penalty

Another 15 yard penalty on Robert Woods for pointing first down after the defender was swiping at him after the whistle.

And then there's this on the last play:

https://twitter.com/Cover1Bills/status/795850386406047744

The NFL is garbage.

My God. And the ref is standing right there.

Pay the refs more and they wouldn't have to bet on games.

This assumes corruption is just economics and not opportunity based, when history shows it is.

If ~ 150k ain't enough, then you need to look at other causes.

McCoy left with an injury. Looked like he re-injured the hamstring.

Except he came back in.

Sometimes, football players leave the field after a big play or a big hit so as to recover. Rarely do all players play all plays.

I'm usually not one to blame the refs, but that was a game changer. Bad non call, then standing over the ball? WTF was that?

Except he came back in.

Sometimes, football players leave the field after a big play or a big hit so as to recover. Rarely do all players play all plays.

Fantasy football. It's pretty natural to want to see your players in the game in goal to go situations. Shady played very well for a dude with an injury but the Bills were creative in finding ways to not give him the ball in easy scoring spots. Of course, it's more noticeable cuz fantasy football.

As for me, I lost a matchup by roughly 2 points with Shady in the lineup. The difference was a little less than the 2-ish points Procise got in this guy's rb spot. Ick. Bad beat fo sho. I blame Cleveland giving up that crazy game to Witten and lame @ss Bortles being his garbage self.

My God. And the ref is standing right there.

I would love to know his explanation for not throwing a flag.

I would love to know his explanation for not throwing a flag.

Taylor was scrambling. It was a legal hit.

Taylor was scrambling. It was a legal hit.

On the kicker?

And they wonder why ratings are down for this stupid game? Horrible officiating, sub-par play, too many injuries, too much parity and bad teams, lousy TV games, Cant hit anyone anymore without consulting a 26 page guide on how to hit, etc, etc.

The NFL sucks.

It's super inefficient to watch one game live but the game itself is fine for folks who like it.

The average person just sees the bad teams/games more often than before cuz of red zone apps/channels, the way the national games are selected, and fantasy football putting more eyeballs than usual on notably bad teams.

Offensive line play IS shaky and the refs ARE struggling by making outrageous mistakes that we can all see at the time as mistakes. But it's still a likable way to spend a Sunday for many folks.

I'm a well known Seahawks fan, so take this however you want to view it. But to me, the 2 plays in question.

On the last play of the game. The reason no flag was thrown was because the qb was scrambling out of the pocket. If he had stayed in the box, yes. But on the scramble trying to buy time, and make a play. It was a perfectly legal hit by Sherman.

On the Field goal attempt. I keep hearing dirty play, and I'm sorry, I just don't see it that way. It most certainly SHOULD have been a 15 yard penalty instead of the 5 he got. But I don't see anything dirty, and no intent to take out the kicker on purpose. The refs definitely screwed up giving the minor 5, instead of the major 15. But not dirty at all.

*On a side note. I still have no idea what happened on the delay of game call. That has me confused, and I still don't know what went on there.

I'm a well known Seahawks fan, so take this however you want to view it. But to me, the 2 plays in question.

On the last play of the game. The reason no flag was thrown was because the qb was scrambling out of the pocket. If he had stayed in the box, yes. But on the scramble trying to buy time, and make a play. It was a perfectly legal hit by Sherman.

On the Field goal attempt. I keep hearing dirty play, and I'm sorry, I just don't see it that way. It most certainly SHOULD have been a 15 yard penalty instead of the 5 he got. But I don't see anything dirty, and no intent to take out the kicker on purpose. The refs definitely screwed up giving the minor 5, instead of the major 15. But not dirty at all.

*On a side note. I still have no idea what happened on the delay of game call. That has me confused, and I still don't know what went on there.

The delay of game happened due to the ref standing over the ball until 5 secs left on game clock, which led to Bills not getting the snap off in time. NFL and the ref have since admitted that "oopsie! We should've reset the clock". To me this was the biggest fail on that entire clusterfock. One can argue about roughing vs non-roughing, but this was straight up mismanagement of the play clock.

• Like 1

Are you sure a WR could get mugged when the qb steps out of the pocket before he throws? Does that make sense? Why would they allow a CB to hold, take down, knock down a guy who,is trying to run a route? This is not WWF.

After re-watching the game just now and seeing stills (see below), the kicker situation becomes a bit more clear today.

1. Sherman was after the ball, not the kicker. The photo shows his hand on the ball.

2. Apparently Carpenter feigned distress - as he was up immediately, and waved off the trainers/medics who came on the field to assist. However, since it was an 'injury', the Bills were charged with a timeout and Carpenter was required to sit out one play - as he was, uhh, 'injured'.

https://twitter.com/RSherman_25/status/796062020323840000

From the rule book -

ROUGHING/RUNNING INTO THE KICKER

No defensive player may run into or rough a kicker who kicks from behind the line unless such contact:

1. is incidental to and occurs after the defender has touched the kick in flight
  2. is caused by the kicker’s own motions
  3. occurs during a quick kick or a rugby-style kick
  4. occurs during or after a run behind the line
  5. occurs after the kicker recovers a loose ball on the ground
  6. occurs because a defender is pushed or blocked (causing a change of direction) into the kicker
  7. is the result of a foul by an opponent

The NFL has rightfully admitted its mistake. Roughing should have been called and its too bad it may very well have cost a team a win. The delay of game was simply unacceptable as well.

After re-watching the game just now and seeing stills (see below), the kicker situation becomes a bit more clear today.

1. Sherman was after the ball, not the kicker. The photo shows his hand on the ball.

2. Apparently Carpenter feigned distress - as he was up immediately, and waved off the trainers/medics who came on the field to assist. However, since it was an 'injury', the Bills were charged with a timeout and Carpenter was required to sit out one play - as he was, uhh, 'injured'.

https://twitter.com/RSherman_25/status/796062020323840000

On the kick and subsequent HUGE screw up by the refs, the NFL has admitted their mistake, but it means nothing to the Bills. That missed FG absolutely changed the outcome of the game, as with it all the Bills needed was a FG at the end to get a tie.

On to the end of the game, there was absolutely a PI that should have been called on the final play. The Bills WR was hit so hard it changed his direction in the endzone. Should have been flagged and a new set of downs. The Seahawks get away with SOOOOO much more physicality than the rest of the league is allowed, particularly at home. I'm not a Bills fan and have zero horses in this race, but the Bill were flat out jobbed last night.

• Like 1

On to the end of the game, there was absolutely a PI that should have been called on the final play. The Bills WR was hit so hard it changed his direction in the endzone. Should have been flagged and a new set of downs. The Seahawks get away with SOOOOO much more physicality than the rest of the league is allowed, particularly at home. I'm not a Bills fan and have zero horses in this race, but the Bill were flat out jobbed last night.

Dude learn to read the rule book. Sherman's push of the WR was completely legal once the QB is scrambling outside the pocket. Even the NFL acknowledged it was a legal hit

https://www.google.com/amp/buffalonews.com/2016/11/08/richard-shermans-hit-walt-powell-wasnt-penalty-bills-seahawks/amp/?client=safari

• Like 1

Are you sure a WR could get mugged when the qb steps out of the pocket before he throws? Does that make sense? Why would they allow a CB to hold, take down, knock down a guy who,is trying to run a route? This is not WWF.

Your post doesn't make sense. The CB isn't allowed to hold. If he grabbed the guy, he would have been flagged for it, no matter what the QB was doing.

Dude learn to read the rule book. Sherman's push of the WR was completely legal once the QB is scrambling outside the pocket. Even the NFL acknowledged it was a legal hit

https://www.google.com/amp/buffalonews.com/2016/11/08/richard-shermans-hit-walt-powell-wasnt-penalty-bills-seahawks/amp/?client=safari

Thanks for turning the a-hole level up there, love the guys on the net that are smarter than everybody because they ran across an article supporting their position. That's not even what I was talking about, it's Buffalo's 2nd WR from the bottom in this video:

https://cdn-e1.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/deij.mp4?token=1479916060_b8b65450bb9d6408fefb712a40c91e8c6a5e59e1

from this article:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/11/8/13560260/richard-sherman-bills-illegal-contact-walter-powell

He gets contacted in the endzone around the lower left corner of the second "A" in "SEAHAWKS" while Tyrod Taylor is making the throw, which is intended for that WR. That's a clear PI, whether Taylor was out of the pocket or not because he contacted the WR while the ball was in the air. That's not event mentioning the very clear hold on the receiver at the top of the formation (left sideline) in the endzone. In fact, it's pretty focking amazing that every Bills WR in the endzone gets contacted in some way or another and not one of them gets called....hmmmm...

Man, the silence is deafening...