Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Several teams preparing to make Patriots a blockbuster offer for Jimmy Garoppolo

Brady is the oldest player in the league. The mere fact that they're trading Garapolo should tell you that they don't consider him to be special.

I agree with this. If they truly think Jimmy is good, they should keep him. It's too difficult to find a good QB in this league.

Compare the value though. He is one more year of cheap money that gives teams a free look in their system to determine value before committing to him. You franchise tag him then trade him after next year and the risk on trading for him goes up exponentially.

If Brady got injured they likely aren't winning a SB no matter who the backup is, so what does it matter. Brady playing 3 more years so you aren't keeping G anyways, he has to be traded or released for nothing

Why does everyone keep thinking (I think) it's a bad idea for NE to deal Jimmy G.? Again, I think it's brilliant... His value is never going to be higher than it is right now - and his ass is about as expendable as a player can get. And you have teams tripping over themselves to give up a 1st for him? It's almost comical how bad BB ass focks these teams in trades - he's made a career out of it.. I'd deal him too - BB can (and will) find another Garoppolo. And in about a year or so - we will be having this same discussion on BB once again pulling the wool over some team's eyes.

I agree with this. If they truly think Jimmy is good, they should keep him. It's too difficult to find a good QB in this league.

:doh:

Why does everyone keep thinking (I think) it's a bad idea for NE to deal Jimmy G.? Again, I think it's brilliant... His value is never going to be higher than it is right now - and his ass is about as expendable as a player can get. And you have teams tripping over themselves to give up a 1st for him? It's almost comical how bad BB ass focks these teams in trades - he's made a career out of it.. I'd deal him too - BB can (and will) find another Garoppolo. And in about a year or so - we will be having this same discussion on BB once again pulling the wool over some team's eyes.

We all agree with the fact that New England is smart for dealing him. We are pre-laughing at the team that falls for this again.

...We are pre-laughing at the team that falls for this again.

There are some here who think he's worth a #1 - that's what I don't understand.

Yep, you are still clueless. If he turns into a franchise qb, a 1st will have been worth it. Not sure why it's still so hard to comprehend. Two totally different players being bad means that Jimmy has to be bad? How are you even a football fan if that's the best you can come up with?

Quarterback desperation is a real thing. And understandable. Look at Osweiler. There are maybe 10 franchise QBs in the league. And only 5 elite ones. If teams think there is even a chance of finding one, they lose all sense of rationale.

Yep, you are still clueless. If he turns into a franchise qb, a 1st will have been worth it. Not sure why it's still so hard to comprehend.

"IF" -sure... If he does this and if this happens and if that goes like that and if the earth tilts just right - monkeys could fly out pigs asses and bat left handed.

I've seen the movie where BB dumps his backup qbs and they go on to be dog shiit on their next team... Apparently you haven't - you still hoping that law of averages finally hits and BB actually does deal away a franchise qb.. You keep holding on to that pipe dream - let me know when it hits... Speaking of - go ahead and name all the times it's hit before.. I know, I know - "if"....

"IF" -sure... If he does this and if this happens and if that goes like that and if the earth tilts just right - monkeys could fly out pigs asses and bat left handed.

I've seen the movie where BB dumps his backup qbs and they go on to be dog shiit on their next team... Apparently you haven't - you still hoping that law of averages finally hits and BB actually does deal away a franchise qb.. You keep holding on to that pipe dream - let me know when it hits... Speaking of - go ahead and name all the times it's hit before.. I know, I know - "if"....

So you are comparing a qb, who coming out of college people thought had some legit potential becoming a franchise qb to the odds of monkeys flying out of pigs asses? This is where you are misunderstanding where everyone is pointing out you can't understand why the Pats are trading Jimmy. It's because they have to! Bill isn't pulling the wool over on this one because Garappolo is a legit qb. If Bill has to trade Jimmy now to get any value, since he believes getting a 1st for him is currently the best interest for the team, then he is trading him, even if it means trading away a good qb. This isn't the same as trading away other players, especially the qbs. You equate it as the same. It's not. That's why people are trying to explain the logic of why the Pats are trading him, because you can't grasp it.

Quarterback desperation is a real thing. And understandable. Look at Osweiler. There are maybe 10 franchise QBs in the league. And only 5 elite ones. If teams think there is even a chance of finding one, they lose all sense of rationale.

Agreed.. But when are teams going to wake up and realize BB doesn't (and never has) deal franchise qbs away? They are way more likely to find one in the draft than they are in a castoff NE backup... When 1 does anything of note, I will be more open to the idea - but until then, not for me. Seen that fleecing way too many times.

If Garappolo ends up bad, then I will admit I was wrong. If I were a GM I gambled a 1st round pick that I may have botched anyway and lost. If I am a GM and I am right though, I gambled a measly 1dt round pick and got a franchise qb for the next 10+ years! If Jimmy has the talent of Hoyer or Mallet, of course I don't make the deal because those guys sucked and it was pretty obvious. Jimmy is at least better and looked pretty good to me. Making the trade and winning is a much MUCH bigger win than getting the trade wrong and losing. It's the pansy ass attitude of GMs being terrified to make trades in the NFL which makes the NFL one of the lowest trade sports.

So you are comparing a qb, who coming out of college people thought had some legit potential becoming a franchise qb to the odds of monkeys flying out of pigs asses? This is where you are misunderstanding where everyone is pointing out you can't understand why the Pats are trading Jimmy. It's because they have to! Bill isn't pulling the wool over on this one because Garappolo is a legit qb. If Bill has to trade Jimmy now to get any value..

No - Bill is trading Jimmy now bcoz he knows 1) Garropolo's value is NEVR going to be as high as it is now, 2) bcoz he knows Jimmy is totally expendable and 3) he knows he can (and will) find another Jimmy Garropolo. That's why he's trading him - it's what he does, and again, it's why he's a genius.

Jimmy could turn out to be a franchise qb. And if he does it will have been well worth it and a good trade.. But history says he's not going to be, history says BB is bending yet another team over.

And for a 1st round pick no less! That's the insane part. You way over value 1st round picks. Way way over value them. I would be so happy as a GM to make you think you won a trade just because you got a 1st.

No - Bill is trading Jimmy now bcoz he knows 1) Garropolo's value is NEVR going to be as high as it is now, 2) bcoz he knows Jimmy is totally expendable and 3) he knows he can (and will) find another Jimmy Garropolo. That's why he's trading him - it's what he does, and again, it's why he's a genius.

Jimmy could turn out to be a franchise qb. And if he does it will have been well worth it and a good trade.. But history says he's not going to be, history says BB is bending yet another team over.

He can't find another Jimmy because he is actually good. Bills track record shows he is pretty bad at drafting backup qbs. So he will not find another good backup because that's what his track record says. How is BB so good at raping teams but he can't draft a backup qb worth a damn to save his life? Those two statements contradict each other....

And for a 1st round pick no less! That's the insane part. You way over value 1st round picks. Way way over value them. I would be so happy as a GM to make you think you won a trade just because you got a 1st.

I don't over value 1st round picks nearly as much as you over value NE backup qbs - not even in the same hemisphere.

For the record, you can never over value NFL 1st rounders - never. As a matter of - why don't take a swim thru some recent drafts. The guys in their prime, guys from say the 2010-2014 drafts - look at how lopsided the disparity is in Pro Bowlers from the 1st round to Pro Bowlers from all the other rounds - it's ridiculous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NFL_Draft

He can't find another Jimmy because he is actually good.

Really, how do you know? Matt Cassel won 11 games and got them into the playoffs - was he good too? And I never said anything about drafting a backup, I said BB would find one.

1st round quarterback classes 2006 thru 2015

#3: Vince Young (Texas), Tennessee Titans #10: Matt Leinart (USC), Arizona Cardinals #11: Jay Cutler (Vanderbilt), Denver Broncos
#1: JaMarcus Russell (LSU), Oakland Raiders #22: Brady Quinn (Notre Dame), Cleveland Browns
#3: Matt Ryan (Boston College), Atlanta Falcons #18: Joe Flacco (Delaware), Baltimore Ravens
#1: Matthew Stafford (Georgia), Detroit Lions #5: Mark Sanchez (USC), New York Jets #17: Josh Freeman (Kansas State), Tampa Bay Buccaneers
#1: Sam Bradford (Oklahoma), St. Louis Rams #25: Tim Tebow (Florida), Denver Broncos
#1: Cam Newton (Auburn), Carolina Panthers #8: Jake Locker (Washington), Tennessee Titans #10: Blaine Gabbert (Missouri), Jacksonville Jaguars #12: Christian Ponder (Florida State), Minnesota Vikings
Clockwise from top left: #1: Andrew Luck (Stanford), Indianapolis Colts #2: Robert Griffin III (Baylor), Washington Redskins #8: Ryan Tannehill (Texas A&M), Miami Dolphins #22: Brandon Weeden (Oklahoma State), Cleveland Browns
EJ Manuel
Blake Bortles
Johnny Football
Teddy Bridgetwater
Winston
Mariotta

Whole lot of fail

Whole lot of fail

True.. But what does that have to do with this discussion? There is a whole lot of gold in the first round - it's why you keep and hold onto your 1st round picks.

It isnt cut and dry. It is what you think of him as QB. Different GMs are going to view him in different ways. I dont watch film and study like a GM so I cant say. A few decent games in the Pats system isnt enough to say he will be a good QB for 10 years. But if you watch the tape and like what you see then sure pull the trigger. I wouldnt trade a top 10 pick for him. But if you like him then go ahead and trade a late 1st or very early 2nd.

The 3rd overall pick for a backup QB who wasnt a 1st rounder when he was drafted? No thanks. But the Bears are pretty stupid. Look how long they thought Cutler was good enough. Any idiot could tell you Cutler sucked a clear 7 years ago.

The Bears suck and always will.

True.. But what does that have to do with this discussion? There is a whole lot of gold in the first round - it's why you keep and hold onto your 1st round picks.

we are specifically talking QBs here. and trading a 1st round pick for one.

It isnt cut and dry. It is what you think of him as QB. Different GMs are going to view him in different ways. I dont watch film and study like a GM so I cant say. A few decent games in the Pats system isnt enough to say he will be a good QB for 10 years. But if you watch the tape and like what you see then sure pull the trigger. I wouldnt trade a top 10 pick for him. But if you like him then go ahead and trade a late 1st or very early 2nd.

The 3rd overall pick for a backup QB who wasnt a 1st rounder when he was drafted? No thanks. But the Bears are pretty stupid. Look how long they thought Cutler was good enough. Any idiot could tell you Cutler sucked a clear 7 years ago.

The Bears suck and always will.

by that logic no NFL team should ever draft a QB at the #3 pick :doh: well after all, they haven't seen them play in the NFL

Patriots have had like 2 picks in the top 20 in 15 years. you don't need a high pick in the 1st round to win.

same teams draft in the top 10 year after year, what the fock good does it do?

by that logic no NFL team should ever draft a QB at the #3 pick :doh: well after all, they haven't seen them play in the NFL

Patriots have had like 2 picks in the top 20 in 15 years. you don't need a high pick in the 1st round to win.

same teams draft in the top 10 year after year, what the fock good does it do?

Um no. Jimmy wasnt even a first round talent ahen he was drafted. Why would a GM who passed on him all 1st round then now all of a sudden think he is worth the 3rd overall pick?

Logic isnt your strength. Nor reading.

Um no. Jimmy wasnt even a first round talent ahen he was drafted. Why would a GM who passed on him all 1st round then now all of a sudden think he is worth the 3rd overall pick?

Logic isnt your strength.

are you saying in 2005 a Gm wouldn't have traded the #3 pick for Brady? :doh:

cassell was drafted in the 7th and they got a 2nd for him.

good logic there chief.

and who thinks they will get the #3 overall for him? i'll take clevelands 12

are you saying in 2005 a Gm wouldn't have traded the #3 pick for Brady? :doh:

cassell was drafted in the 7th and they got a 2nd for him.

good logic there chief.

and who thinks they will get the #3 overall for him? i'll take clevelands 12

Why say dumb things to force a point?

You are comparing Brady winning SBs by 2005 to a guy with a few decent starts.

Brady proved his worth by 2005. What has Jimmy done?

Why act stupid?

Why say dumb things to force a point?

You are comparing Brady winning SBs by 2005 to a guy with a few decent starts.

Brady proved his worth by 2005. What has Jimmy done?

Why act stupid?

Jimmy wasnt even a first round talent ahen he was drafted. Why would a GM who passed on him all 1st round then now all of a sudden think he is worth the 3rd overall pick?

I guess time shall tell

I never said #3 overall. HT

I guess time shall tell

I never said #3 overall. HT

Notice how I said Jimmy. Not multiple time SB winners.

See the difference little fella?

Notice how I said Jimmy. Not multiple time SB winners.

See the difference little fella?

a team would NEVER trade a higher pick for a guy than where he was drafted. got it.

good solid logic by you.

I bet you think McCarthy is a good coach too

Bradford went for a 1st and a 4th.

they were desperate, as it was late in camp and their QB got hurt.

With that defense, they had to take a chance

Bradford went for a 1st and a 4th.

Too much to pay for Bradford, as he hasn't done much in the NFL.

Jimmy G might even be better, but he hasn't had much chance to show it yet.

Whole lot of fail

Both 2015 picks have been decent so far.

Both 2015 picks have been decent so far.

Yeah, 2 years in.

Look high up on that list, a few of those guys were "decent" a couple years in.

Eli made the playoffs his second year. His first as the full time starter. Plus he plays in a tough division. Not the suck of the AFC east and NFC north.

make your own thread, no one cares about the pathetic giants :mad:

Yeah, 2 years in.

Look high up on that list, a few of those guys were "decent" a couple years in.

Eh. Like almost all other postions, It's a mixed bag. Newton, Luck, Ryan, and Flacco have all been ok.

Eh. Like almost all other postions, It's a mixed bag. Newton, Luck, Ryan, and Flacco have all been ok.

if you play fantasy football, sure.

Luck has been a bust if you consider what he was supposed to be.

Ryan has been solid, Cam is hit or miss and Flacco sadly has been the best (most clutch) of the group.

if you play fantasy football, sure.

Luck has been a bust if you consider what he was supposed to be.

Ryan has been solid, Cam is hit or miss and Flacco sadly has been the best (most clutch) of the group.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/12/30/history-of-quarterbacks-traded-for-first-round-picks/

Favre, Elway(if you count him) and Plunkett are the only QBs traded for a first rounder that ever amounted to anything.

I'd say the odds of finding a superstar QB via trading a first round pick are just as slim, if not slimmer than drafting one.

Eta: Theisman and Tarkenton.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/12/30/history-of-quarterbacks-traded-for-first-round-picks/

Favre, Elway(if you count him) and Plunkett are the only QBs traded for a first rounder that ever amounted to anything.

I'd say the odds of finding a superstar QB via trading a first round pick are just as slim, if not slimmer than drafting one.

Eli?

it doesn't happen often that you have a QB suspended for the 1st 4 games of a season, allowing the backup to be seen