Sign in to follow this  
Captain Goomy Noomy Roo

Rex Burkhead

My wording isnt accurate you are right there. I just dont understand why Thursday night games players get an exemption to some rules for playing early

it's not just Thursday night, it's all bench players at any time.

If a guy is on your bench that played on Noon Sun, you can drop him anytime and pick up a guy Sun night or Mon nigh if you wanted.

So you think its ok if i drop a guy I had in my roster on Monday night so I can sign a guy to play against you? Or should it only be allowed to drop a player from team that hasnt played?

well it's generally not advisable to have to actually start a MNF waiver wire pickup; the more likely scenario is you swap out a bench player you no longer like for a new bench guy playing on MNF that may bust out, to avoid having to let him get to waivers.

you would most likely not be playing the guy because you should have better starters, but I suppose if you really did have an open starter spot going into MNF, then yeah you should be allowed to grab someone and play them immediately. The check against that is that your opponent has equal ability to pick up that some guy to prevent you from starting him, because they'll be able to see that you still have that open starter spot.

thus, it's still equally fair.

Let's keep this on Burkhead. I like the differing pints of view. Although I don't get the guys who believe He isn't even worth a roster spot

I like Rex the best of all the backs on NE roster right now. Gilislee has been hurt and re-injured his leg coming back too soon. That injury plus his elevated "gonna be the next Blount" recency bias has pushed his ADP higher than I'll pay. Burkhead is going in the 11th round, so even if he busts it's not like he cost you much.

The contracts would make it seem NE plans a bigger role for Gilislee though. Gilislee got 2 years/$6.4 million (1.5 mil guaranteed). Rex got 1 year/$3.1 million (1.1 guaranteed).

• Like 1

first off, every league is equally "fair" as long as the opportunity is open to everybody. Every player in the league has the same ability to stream players like that, therefore it's still all 100% fair.

but I'm confused about exactly what you're thinking I'm saying.

In this instance, Burkhead (for example) is sitting on your bench (not in starting lineup) for the Thurs night game. Any bench player in most leagues is able to be dropped at any time, even if they have already played their game that week.

Players that did not participate in the Thurs night game are FAs until the start of their game, so they can be picked up at any time between waivers opening up Tues and start of games Sun.

How's that different than most leagues?

The more obvious objection is leagues that do transaction caps or FAAB as a check against this, but our waiver system is just Yahoo standard like most everybody else.

And on a side note, I've played in plenty of leagues as well that do transaction caps and FAAB, and I'm equally good in those. It's just about finding every advantage that you can.

Agreed, I just think it's cheesy where it's a mad rush mid Sunday when a starter gets hurt to pick up the backup.

My serious leagues use FAAB

Agreed, I just think it's cheesy where it's a mad rush mid Sunday when a starter gets hurt to pick up the backup.

My serious leagues use FAAB

Oh I should clarify that it's not that. I agree that's even where I draw the line. We're all adults so we all have various things going on during the weekends, so that's far too unfair to the half of the guys that can't sit on the couch and watch all day Sun.

Once that particular team's game starts, then all players are locked until Tues morning, so that new shiny starter still goes through the normal waiver/FAAB process.

But what you CAN do is at 3:00 drop one of your bench players to pick up a player during the 3:05 game that could become a big starter if there is a big injury. You could also though drop that same bench player after the game for a similar guy in the Sun night game.

So you're essentially trying to catch lightning in a bottle before a guy gets injured vs the mad dash once a player immediately goes down.

I wouldn't play in a league that didn't at least have that.

So how bout REX FKN BURKHEAD?!

No one cares about the way yer league does waivers.

Just kidding. I care. Deeply. Expound upon them at your leisure. Really.

• Like 1

I've owned 1 Pat RB in almost 20 years of playing. I'll probably go another 20 until I take the next 1.

Hard pass.

I stay away from NE RBs... too many mouths to feed and I swear Bellicheck hates fantasy football. Who knows who he is going to start or lionshare week to week (exception being Blount last year). Then when one does well, he'll fumble or break a team rule and end up in permanent Bellicheck purgatory. i keep thinking Jonas Gray, who blew up and was never heard from again.

Behind that line, any of these guys could emerge week to week and they will all be week to week.

but as a late round flyer, why not?

LeGarrette Blount 299 1161 3.9 44 18

Stevan Ridley 290 1263 4.4 41 12

BenJarvus Green-Ellis 181 667 3.7 18 11

BenJarvus Green-Ellis 229 1008 4.4 33 13

Laurence Maroney 194 757 3.9 45 9

Corey Dillon 199 812 4.1 50 13

Corey Dillon 209 733 3.5 29 12

That's going back 10 years. And 7 of those 10 years NE has produced a FF worthy RB. I get the headache, but I wouldn't completely overlook the situation.

• Like 1

LeGarrette Blount 299 1161 3.9 44 18

Stevan Ridley 290 1263 4.4 41 12

BenJarvus Green-Ellis 181 667 3.7 18 11

BenJarvus Green-Ellis 229 1008 4.4 33 13

Laurence Maroney 194 757 3.9 45 9

Corey Dillon 199 812 4.1 50 13

Corey Dillon 209 733 3.5 29 12

That's going back 10 years. And 7 of those 10 years NE has produced a FF worthy RB. I get the headache, but I wouldn't completely overlook the situation.

Damn, you went all the way back to Corey Dillon...

As I recall Ridley was like 3rd or 4th on the depth chart and just kind of emerged with law firms decline, I dont' think he was even on draft boards that year (google confirms he was the 62nd RB according the mfl).

So other then Law Firm and Blount over the last 7 seasons, its been pretty much a crap shoot.

Its definitely risk/reward to draft an NE RB (especially pre like 5th round), but there is way too much risk.

Just pick up whoever emerges off of waivers and use your picks on stability.

So other then Law Firm and Blount over the last 7 seasons, its been pretty much a crap shoot.

And that list glossed over 13, 14, 15, 07, and 08.

I avoid NE backs when I can. Missed on Blount last year after having him in a couple leagues the year before. Oh well. Wasn't going for any of them this year if I could avoid it.

And that list glossed over 13, 14, 15, 07, and 08.

I avoid NE backs when I can. Missed on Blount last year after having him in a couple leagues the year before. Oh well. Wasn't going for any of them this year if I could avoid it.

No, it didn't. OK, 7 of 12 years...but...

Stevan Ridley 178 773 4.3 29 7 LeGarrette Blount 153 772 5.0 47 7

LeGarrette Blount 165 703 4.3 38 6

Sammy Morris 156 727 4.7 35 7

Laurence Maroney 185 835 4.5 59 6

Those are still usable stats. And on par with a players 2016 (first round pick), that is going 2nd-3rd round this year...guess who?

I spent a first round pick on Laurence Maroney back in the day, so nobody needs to tell me how discouraging the NE running game can be.

I'm planning on taking Burkhead with my last pick though if he's there just to see how he does Thurs night, and as said above, can drop him after if deemed necessary.

No, it didn't.

Yes, it did :) That's why you had to add them in another post. :D

Those are 'usable' stats, but nothing I'm going to chase in the face of Belichick's unpredictability. There are plenty of other usable JAGs in the league. The problem with Pats RBs, when they have big years, is that it's hard to see them coming.

Yes, it did :) That's why you had to add them in another post. :D

Those are 'usable' stats, but nothing I'm going to chase in the face of Belichick's unpredictability. There are plenty of other usable JAGs in the league. The problem with Pats RBs, when they have big years, is that it's hard to see them coming.

The implication of "glossing over" is that I purposely left those out to strengthen my point. And that would be the case had I said that NE produces a fantasy worthy RB every year. But that's not what I said. You simply glossed over the fact that I stated 7 seasons (those I listed to illustrate the entire point of my post).

• Like 1

The implication of "glossing over" is that I purposely left those out to strengthen my point. And that would be the case had I said that NE produces a fantasy worthy RB every year. But that's not what I said. You simply glossed over the fact that I stated 7 seasons (those I listed to illustrate the entire point of my post).

The question being asked is whether NE backs are worth putting up with the headache for. Thus it's pretty important to talk about what happened in those years you didn't list at first. My contention is that, in 7,8, 13, 14, and 15, not only did the best runner on the team produce mediocre stats, but it still came with the same 'who is it going to be' confusion. Dillon and Maroney in his first year were the only guys that were 'expected' to be the lead back and in fact were good enough to call a lead back. Even in Law Firm's second year, it wasn't clear who was going to be the guy.

So if your point was that they have produced a good (not just usable) back in the last 12 years (going back to 05 is 12 years, not 10), then yes, 7 out of 12 years they have. But that data certainly needs to come with the data about the other years too, when the topic is the Pats.

I've got Burkhead and Dion Lewis rostered in a lot of PPR leagues and my latest redraft.

We may not know what the exact situation is but this backfield is going to score points.

Just one injury could make the whole things a lot clearer. Cheap to invest in so why not?

Same could be said for Burkhead, who has had 2 games rushing 10 or more times in his career.

- 12 rushes, 42 yards

- 27 rushes, 119 yards, 2 TD's

How many people do you think are aware of this game? It came in the last game of 2016.

Took Burkhead in the 12th round Sunday night. PPR. Why not? At that point you're throwing darts trying to hit a jackpot.

Took Burkhead in the 12th round Sunday night. PPR. Why not? At that point you're throwing darts trying to hit a jackpot.

Exactly. Anyone stating he isn't even worth a spot in ppr is dense