Sign in to follow this  
weepaws

Texans Owner

Called NFL players inmates in a prison.

And the Texans as a team did consider walking out.

This could become a big issue going forward.

Interesting foot in mouth situation.

And Hopkins indeed did walkout.

He didn't even get the quote right. The common phrase is the 'inmates are running the asylum'. The implication when you're using it is that you would be crazy, or the situation is crazy, to let insane people run an institution.

It might indeed be telling of his personal opinions that he turned the phrase into one about convicts.

A billionaire out of touch with reality and saying stupid stuff? No way. I'm shocked.

Wise owners are neither seen nor heard, unless they're Bobby Kraft.

A billionaire out of touch with reality and saying stupid stuff? No way. I'm shocked.

Wise owners are neither seen nor heard, unless they're Bobby Kraft.

I also love how quickly they let Hopkins have a 'personal day' when he walked out of the building. Star player leaves without permission when owner says stupid sh!t? Uh, yeah...he's excused.

I'd love to see what would happen if Dak or Zeke or Dez were to kneel for the anthem. Would Jerry have the stones to bench one or all of them like he said he would? Jerry again being the poster child of your 'wise owners keep their mouths shut' rule.

This article is fantastic. It encapsulates way more than McNair's comment, but it provides a lot of pertinent information regarding some of the owners' and players' mentalities during this controversy. It is an absolute must read for anyone that has an interest in this saga.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/21170410/gaffes-tv-ratings-concerns-dominated-nfl-players-forged-anthem-peace-league-meetings

• Like 1

if anyone took it literal they are idiots, but of course liberals have to lose their minds

No business owner lets the employees run their business, and of course its just a cliche, but honestly, would you let ANY NFL player run your team, if you spent 100's of millions of $ on it.

shut up and play football, don't like it go get a job at starbucks with your zero job qualifications

• Like 1

To be fair to McNair, he did NOT call the players inmates in a prison. He said that they can't let the inmates run the prison. I realize it's splitting hairs, but he did not, technically, call the players inmates. The bigger mistake was wrongly using the phrase. As was posted, it's run the asylum. Would anyone have been as upset with "we can't let the inmates run the asylum?" Or are people just looking for a reason to be upset?

if anyone took it literal they are idiots, but of course liberals have to lose their minds

No business owner lets the employees run their business, and of course its just a cliche, but honestly, would you let ANY NFL player run your team, if you spent 100's of millions of $ on it.

shut up and play football, don't like it go get a job at starbucks with your zero job qualifications

Let me just ask...

WHY THE FOCK do you need to lead with 'liberals', like people who disagree with you politically are idiots or something? FOCKING seriously. Do you actually, really, honestly, in the really focking real world think that people who dare to disagree with you are stupid? Really?

Come on. Be smarter than that. I know you are smarter than that. Stop the focking divisive painting with broad brush strokes and labeling anyone who disagrees. It makes you look childish, and I know you aren't.

This!

You're grown assed men, you knew it was a figure of speech that was not to be taken literally. Now stop being a bunch of Sallies ad get back on the football field. I'm not buying your "I'm offended by a rich billionaire BS, You're only offended because you want to stir up controversy.

Granted it wasn't the smartest thing to say, but the players and fans reaction to it is beyond ludicrous.

To be fair to McNair, he did NOT call the players inmates in a prison. He said that they can't let the inmates run the prison. I realize it's splitting hairs, but he did not, technically, call the players inmates. The bigger mistake was wrongly using the phrase. As was posted, it's run the asylum. Would anyone have been as upset with "we can't let the inmates run the asylum?" Or are people just looking for a reason to be upset?

Tis the world we live in any more, people just looking to stir up controversy for the sake of stirring up controversy, No good reason or thought behind it at all.

What people are reacting to is not that he really thinks his players are inmates. Although as I said, it might actually reveal something about his feelings. Might. But what people are reacting to mostly is how stupid you have to be at that moment to equate in any way a mostly black group of people (the protestors) with convicts. Even if a guy isn't racist, that's clearly going to come across as sounding very very racist. He could have said "you can't let the monkeys run the zoo", and people would also be upset for the same reasons. What he did was, unintentionally or not, use very racially charged language at a moment when his business is in a very precarious position and in which people need to speak carefully.

And yes, he did use the word 'inmates' to refer to them. He certainly wasn't referring to the owners or the Execs with that analogy. And you don't have to say the exact words "you are an X" to be calling someone an X. If you posted here, and I said "Great, the inmates are posting", I would in fact be calling you an inmate.

But to paint everyone who didn't like what he said as just 'looking for a fight' or in the negative ways that RaiderHater did--really? Like I just asked him, do you really think that everyone who disagrees with you must somehow be portrayed negatively?

Tis the world we live in any more, people just looking to stir up controversy for the sake of stirring up controversy, No good reason or thought behind it at all.

No one who disagrees with you could possibly have a valid point.

Yes. Of course. That's a perfectly mature way to look at the situation. To disagree with you must be 'beyond ludicrous'. That's a great way to evaluate other people.

For the record, I think the most interesting part of that article was how Goodell was portrayed. I'm no fan of his, but he was clearly shown in a very positive light--people on both sides were described as being surprised and happy about how he handled it (Jones aside). I wonder how much if any reporter bias is in there--there were also a lot of times that owners and execs were described as being 'deeply concerned' personally about what the players are upset about. Is the reporter saying that they are deeply concerned just because they said "I am deeply concerned"?

Interesting article, thanks very much for posting that.

This article is fantastic. It encapsulates way more than McNair's comment, but it provides a lot of pertinent information regarding some of the owners' and players' mentalities during this controversy. It is an absolute must read for anyone that has an interest in this saga.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/21170410/gaffes-tv-ratings-concerns-dominated-nfl-players-forged-anthem-peace-league-meetings

No one who disagrees with you could possibly have a valid point.

Yes. Of course. That's a perfectly mature way to look at the situation. To disagree with you must be 'beyond ludicrous'. That's a great way to evaluate other people.

Beyond Ludicrous might have crossed the line, but it just kinda seems like that's the way of the world any more. I guess I'm just pi$$ed that politics has found it's way into football. Most of the political stuff is beyond ludicrous too. I blame Trump for this and Hillary for that yada yada yada.

Beyond Ludicrous might have crossed the line, but it just kinda seems like that's the way of the world any more. I guess I'm just pi$$ed that politics has found it's way into football. Most of the political stuff is beyond ludicrous too. I blame Trump for this and Hillary for that yada yada yada.

I totally agree that much of the world seems that way, and is claimed to be that way by people who get paid to have listeners. But we have to be smarter than to buy into that. Look, I'm on the players' side on most of this issue. But the owners have very substantial worries and they have some legal rights as well. It doesn't hurt me in any way to recognize that. And I think Jerry Jones can just go eat a bag full of d!cks in general, but I also think that Jones is in a very tough place without an easy decision to make. Doesn't make me agree with his idea for a 'stand mandate' (a 'standate'?). But I understand where he's coming from, even when I disagree.

Sorry, it just bothers me when people I otherwise respect (RaiderHater for example) just veer immediately into "the other side are all idiots" sort of talk. For one, it's never true. For two, it never helps.

Anyway, I'm gonna go bike/drive home. Didn't mean to piss anyone off here, just got frustrated. Good luck with the weekend games everyone :) (Go Chiefs, purely for my fantasy purposes!)

• Like 1

I disagree with many in here. The owner lacks tact. I wouldn't like that if I was an employee of this jerk either. Would probably look to leave at the end of my contract.

Sounds like Duane Brown will be leaving

• Like 1

Games start again in less than 36 hours. In the meantime, ignore the owners and most, if not all, of the negativity-multiplying banter that websites and espn have to create between games to try to validate their existence. On these forums, were usually here to discuss starts/sits, buy lows, busts, grade the trades, sleepers, and all of that good and fun stuff. I do not need to come here for more reminders that a bunch of folks on earth are jerks about plenty of things.

Topical, dude said something off-base. It PROBABLY wasnt nearly as hateful or horrible as folks are trying to make it. Hes moonwalked and apologized already. Its not perfect but its okay for now from this particular keyboard. Foot in the mouth is not always the same as crime against humanity.

Maybe folks could try a little tenderness, put away the pitchforks, and see how it goes when it is time for him to take good and decent human being-style actions. If he does okay with that, maybe he shouldnt be dubbed the mascot for all things that folks dont like about those old rich guys. Maybe? Maybe.

Every fock of a player can be replaced. I actually hope the owners lock the players out. How's that for some shitt. I would rather see an owner win than these morons.

I totally agree that much of the world seems that way, and is claimed to be that way by people who get paid to have listeners. But we have to be smarter than to buy into that. Look, I'm on the players' side on most of this issue. But the owners have very substantial worries and they have some legal rights as well. It doesn't hurt me in any way to recognize that. And I think Jerry Jones can just go eat a bag full of d!cks in general, but I also think that Jones is in a very tough place without an easy decision to make. Doesn't make me agree with his idea for a 'stand mandate' (a 'standate'?). But I understand where he's coming from, even when I disagree.

Sorry, it just bothers me when people I otherwise respect (RaiderHater for example) just veer immediately into "the other side are all idiots" sort of talk. For one, it's never true. For two, it never helps.

Anyway, I'm gonna go bike/drive home. Didn't mean to piss anyone off here, just got frustrated. Good luck with the weekend games everyone :) (Go Chiefs, purely for my fantasy purposes!)

Great post. It is frustrating. It seems obvious to me that he was using to an old saying that's been around for years, now he did screw the old saying up, but it seems like common sense to me to not take the words literally. Would somebody be offended if I said I was up sh*t creek without a paddle? Someone might be offended that I called their creek a bad word. Where does it end?

it seems like common sense to me to not take the words literally.

No one is taking it literally. It's symbolism for rich, white landowners and manual-labor slaves.

HTH

Liberals aren't losing their minds. Black football players who play for an owner that just equated them to inmates in a prison are upset.

If players decide they won't play for an owner who they feel is racist, or at least insensitive to a cause they find personally important, the owners won't need to lock anyone out. Players may decide to refuse to play for the Jerry Jones's or McNair's when they become free agents. See what sort of a team they field when stars quietly boycott teams for political reasons.

The mistake in your thinking is that the owners have all the power. Without the players, they got nothing.

Every fock of a player can be replaced. I actually hope the owners lock the players out. How's that for some shitt. I would rather see an owner win than these morons.

I'd rather see the owner of the Texans Bob McNair be replaced. I hope the other owners lock him out. You lose the argument when all you can do is call people derogatory names.

You can spin his words anyway you like. He said what he meant and he meant what he said. McNair said "we can't have inmates running the prison" in front of ALL of the league owners at a owners meeting.

The definition of inmate is a person confined to an institution. Synonyms are prisoner, convict, captive, and detainee.

Hopkins could spend 7 years captive to this owner and never get a long term contract. Tell me DeAndre doesn't have a right to feel confined to the Texan's...

How about the NFL owners holding up their end of the contract?? In what other business do both sides not have to live up to the contracts?

This owner's comment has lit fuel to a fire that no NFL owner wants.

There is a player walk out coming sooner than the expiration of the current 10 year collective bargaining agreement set to expire after the 2020 season imo. These current people did not agree to any of this.

Player walkouts don't end well for the players, but I guess they can try to show the owners and fans.

• Like 1

Bob craft better be careful when he says a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. That is some serious sexual harassment

It's an expression people grow a pair not everything needs to be cried about. Are you retard football players really prisoners?

Everyone is so ridiculously over sensitive now this country cries about everything. Sorry but when you cry wolf over and over and over about nothing it makes it really hard to take your sides when there is actually injustice

Re: brotherbock apology for using liberal but it is what it is. I spent 95% of the time here on the geek board and sometimes it spills over

I heard a coach called a couple of his players, "two peas in a pod." They walked out because they were insulted that he would refer to them as urine.

Youll only get hit with VAT if the previous owner hasnt paid it, meaning the previous owner wasnt vat reg

Bob craft better be careful when he says a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. That is some serious sexual harassment

Far different than a hunting analogy.

A NFL owner calling the people he employs "inmates" in front of ALL of his fellow owners is a disgrace.

Are you ###### retard football players really prisoners?

The fact that you use the term 'retard' to get your 'get over yourselves with your liberal/oversensitive feelings' point across speaks volumes. As a parent of a special needs child you do OFFEND me with this ignorant label. You want to call me insensitive, a liberal, a pu$$y, fine. 1. Then you are a closet bigot, hiding behind the internet. 2. if you're indeed a Raider fan and local to the bay area, name the place and time and we can do it 'like men do'.

Retard is not a term of offense it is still to the day a term used to describe a level of intelligence. Using it in the way I used it shows their lack of intelligence. Just like when one of them makes a retarded statement about being like slaves.

Also you win +1 for internet tough guy. But -1 for lack of being able to understand basic rules of punctuation. RaiderHater's means I am a raiderhater and I am taking revenge on what I have no clue

As a side note I don't believe in political correctness. Queer used to be ok then it was awful now it's good again. It's just a word

Now if I say your kid is a retard then you can get offended

Play the punctuation, and grammar police, and justification card all you want. You are a BIGOT who has no problem talking down to people thru the internet. Justifying your use of retard, says it all. It's typical that YOU should DECIDE what OTHERS should feel offended about. That's what bigots do.

• Like 2

The word "retard" is widely accepted as a slur, and to use it against someone's kid anonymously on a FF forum, especially after you were asked not to, is pretty crass. Yup, you're tough, don't care, whatever--I hope your kids are healthy and never have to hear the ridicule special needs kids hear on a daily basis

The word "retard" is widely accepted as a slur, and to use it against someone's kid anonymously on a FF forum, especially after you were asked not to, is pretty crass. Yup, you're tough, don't care, whatever--I hope your kids are healthy and never have to hear the ridicule special needs kids hear on a daily basis

When did I use it against someone's kid? also my son is special needs to and I don't get offended by reading a word used in the proper context.

Like I said the word queer was once a slur and now it's not. Calling a man a man can be considered a slur. I could care less

Liberals aren't losing their minds. Black football players who play for an owner that just equated them to inmates in a prison are upset.

If players decide they won't play for an owner who they feel is racist, or at least insensitive to a cause they find personally important, the owners won't need to lock anyone out. Players may decide to refuse to play for the Jerry Jones's or McNair's when they become free agents. See what sort of a team they field when stars quietly boycott teams for political reasons.

The mistake in your thinking is that the owners have all the power. Without the players, they got nothing.

Lol without the players. There will always be players willing to play. If these guys are so smart why don't they take their billions combined and walk away and start their own league? That's right they can't they don't have one clue about how to run a business