Sign in to follow this  
Fireballer

Fuk cancer!

After reading Rholios update, it got me thinking about my Dad and aunt who both died of cancer. Unfortunatley, cancer is on my mind quite a bit. My wife lost maternal grandparents to cancer, she works in a chemo clinic, and I face the risks as a firefighter everyday. Honestly, cancer scares me more than a heart attack.

I know many believe it's a man made disease, and I guess that supported by the fact that the highest rates in the world are mostly in Europe and also the US. I dont see how Chiner and India arent higher with their pollution. Maybe they under report.

Anyway, I know Rholio and Artista are battling, any other geeks? Im sure most of us have been affected in some way with a close friend or family member. Please share.

My dad died 9 years ago from cancer. My wife died 16 years ago from cancer, my son who is now 22 has very little memories of his mom other than what we captured on video. Fock Cancer, I agree 100%

• Like 1

A woman I had known since I was 14 and she was 19, who was like a sister to me, passed from Breast Cancer about 7 years ago at the age of 49. Was one of the hardest things I've gone through. Also lost an Aunt to the cancer as well. Cancer sucks.

Brain cancer claimed my sister. Left behind 3 boys. Horrible. So proud of her and my family and how it was handled.

Dad died of leukemia when I was 20. Wife had early breast cancer, which was resected.

I almost went into oncology. As everyone knows the gravity of the diagnosis, patients tend to take it more seriously than diabetes, hypertension, etc.

I know far too many people close to me that have fought the battle. 2 that were around the age of 10 that are still alive. 1 around the age of 18 that died. Best friend's dad lost the battle at 45 while we were in college. Wife's friend just past away last month at 38. Married with 3 kids. Father in law has been fighting the fight for 9 years now...Stage 4 cholorectal cancer...mets to lungs...5' 9" and about 105# for the last 8 years. Mom had breast cancer (fock off on can size request...not in this thread).

There are more.

It focking sucks. Fock cancer.

My dad died 9 years ago from cancer. My wife died 16 years ago from cancer, my son who is now 22 has very little memories of his mom other than what we captured on video. Fock Cancer, I agree 100%

Gut wrenching. I think one of the worst things is when a young child has to bury a parent. Thats another fear of mine is my kids havent to deal with that before theyre adults.

My dad died of colon cancer at 55. Near as I can tell, men in my family don't live very long. He died 10 days after I graduated HS. I'm going to be a holy mess in 5 years hoping i eclipse that age.

My dad died at 59 from prostate cancer, dipshit ignored the symptoms until it was too late

That makes ya wonder...how many of your family,loved ones, etc felt like they "caught it early" due to a specific symptom v/s no symptoms and get diagnosed through blood work, xray, etc. A guy I used to work with a had mild pain in his rib. He was diagnosed with late stage lung cancer. He had no other symptoms and was otherwise a lean, healthy 28 year old.

My Pops started with a small tumor that caused slight elevation in liver enzymes. It was barely even noticable on PET scan. He lasted 6 years.

One of my bust buds up here is going thru Stage 4, Non-Hodgins..... Hoping to be able to hang on to try Stem-cell stuff.

Fock cancer indeed. If it doesn't take you the treatments that leave shitty side effects as a souvenir never to forget take a part of you.

Grandma died of lung cancer in 2005. She was healthy otherwise but lived with second hand smoke from my uncle who died of a massive heart attack in Sept.

Grandpa had prostate and colon cancer.

Worst of all mom got stage 0 breast cancer last year. Glad it is 0 but they can progress to 4 though not as high of a chance, depending on their profile and risk factors. Catching it early is always better but there is no guarantee you won't progress.

Parents burying their kids and vice versa, brutal.

The word battle assumes you went into this on equal footing and when you pass they say you lost your battle with cancer. Thing is, it never was a fair fight and makes it sound like you didn't fight right or hard enough. There are actually people who blame the pt when in fact even healthy people doing everything 'right's get it too. And the treatments may not work for you.

My mom died of pancreatic cancer, my dad now has lymphoma, 3 uncles/aunts 2 grandparents had it

cuck fancer

The word battle assumes you went into this on equal footing and when you pass they say you lost your battle with cancer. Thing is, it never was a fair fight and makes it sound like you didn't fight right or hard enough. There are actually people who blame the pt when in fact even healthy people doing everything 'right's get it too. And the treatments may not work for you.

I don't like the battle analogy either. While you certainly should do everything in your power to receive state-of-the-art treatment, there comes a time when you are fighting the inevitable. Too often, I see terminally ill patients attempting futile treatments with miserable side effects to appease their family members and/or trying to "beat the odds". At some point you're much better served focussing on your remaining quality, not quantity, of life.

• Like 1

I don't like the battle analogy either. While you certainly should do everything in your power to receive state-of-the-art treatment, there comes a time when you are fighting the inevitable. Too often, I see terminally ill patients attempting futile treatments with miserable side effects to appease their family members and/or trying to "beat the odds". At some point you're much better served focussing on your remaining quality, not quantity, of life.

agree 100%. Quality over quantity. Insisting someone continue on when only misery remains is inhumane imo no matter who it is.

One thing I wonder about. In Cali we have death with dignity law. If you qualify they give you pills to administer yourself. Thing is by that time with cancer you won't be able to swallow them, keep it down or absorb it all. Why do they not give you via IV what they give at executions? Prisoners go to sleep in comfort. Our pets go to sleep in comfort. Why not cancer pts? It's around 5k for these pills and insurance doesn't cover it. We're more humane with prisoners and our pets than humans with end stage cancer who can't even keep water down. I don't get this.

Only thing I've ever agreed with you on. Every single word

I think everyone going through it needs to make their own decision. Listen to all the options, potential side effects and outcomes, and make their own decision.

My wife had given up on her dad about two years ago. Stage 4 colorectal cancer with mets to lungs. Started having massive bleeds through his ostomy bag. None of the docs could figure out why. Figured the chemo had taken its toll. Kept getting blood transfusions. Every 8-12 hours a massive clot would release. After about a week of this, everyone decided that he had had enough. No more blood transfusions. He had another massive bleed after the decision to discontinue the transfusions. Docs said he wouldnt make it through the night. SOB woke up the next morning and hes still here today. The body can do some amazing things.

Ive told my wife for many years that we just need to support whatever he wants to do. If he says hes had enough of the chemo, feeling like sh!t, cant taste anything, teeth focked up, support the decision. If he wants to keep up the fight, support it. Just be there for him in whatever way he would like us to.

Fock cancer.

• Like 1

I think everyone going through it needs to make their own decision. Listen to all the options, potential side effects and outcomes, and make their own decision.

My wife had given up on her dad about two years ago. Stage 4 colorectal cancer with mets to lungs. Started having massive bleeds through his ostomy bag. None of the docs could figure out why. Figured the chemo had taken its toll. Kept getting blood transfusions. Every 8-12 hours a massive clot would release. After about a week of this, everyone decided that he had had enough. No more blood transfusions. He had another massive bleed after the decision to discontinue the transfusions. Docs said he wouldnt make it through the night. SOB woke up the next morning and hes still here today. The body can do some amazing things.

Ive told my wife for many years that we just need to support whatever he wants to do. If he says hes had enough of the chemo, feeling like sh!t, cant taste anything, teeth focked up, support the decision. If he wants to keep up the fight, support it. Just be there for him in whatever way he would like us to.

Fock cancer.

Fantastic post all around. :cheers:

Fock cancer.

Agree. It should be up to the pt in the end. Get all the opinions from professionals and do what you feel is best for you.

I spend a lot of my week either in procedures to diagnose/stage lung cancer, or giving treatments to pediatric leukemia patients. Cancer most certainly sucks.

• Like 1

Does anyone here have any experience with diet and fighting/preventing cancer?

I've read a few things here and there but don't know enough to explain it. Some things to do with eliminating sugar from the diet. Some things to do with fasting. Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience either with themselves or a family member or friend or patients.

Also, Anti-Cancer was a pretty informative book:

https://www.amazon.com/Anticancer-New-Life-David-Servan-Schreiber/dp/0670021644

YouTube video about the author:

This article was pretty eye opening:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/03/23/521219318/cancer-is-partly-caused-by-bad-luck-study-finds

Some of the new treatment options and technologies are fascinating.

Does anyone here have any experience with diet and fighting/preventing cancer?

I've read a few things here and there but don't know enough to explain it. Some things to do with eliminating sugar from the diet. Some things to do with fasting. Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience either with themselves or a family member or friend or patients.

Also, Anti-Cancer was a pretty informative book:

https://www.amazon.com/Anticancer-New-Life-David-Servan-Schreiber/dp/0670021644

YouTube video about the author:

This article was pretty eye opening:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/03/23/521219318/cancer-is-partly-caused-by-bad-luck-study-finds

Some of the new treatment options and technologies are fascinating.

There's no evidence based diet for treating cancer. There are several dietary habits which reduce cancer risk, however. In general, less red and processed meat, more stuff high in fiber - fruits and veggies. Keeping a healthy weight is just as important, as obesity is the second biggest modifiable risk factor for cancer, after smoking. And although everyone wants to demonize sugars/carbohydrates nowadays, they aren't specifically tied to cancer risk outside of their association with obesity.

All the supplements/antioxidants/vitamins/etc. are unproven at best. I'm always amazed at patients who spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on them and avoid conventional therapies. While there certainly is a lot for science to learn, I'd stick with therapies (including diet) which have been systematically studied.

• Like 1