Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

(OFFICIAL) *****70's Music Draft***** LOD UP

Really? I can't understand why. :dunno:

:lol:

:thumbsup: Had The Tramps though............I kid,I kid

If u guys really have a problem with my last pick Ill change it. Or keep winding road and drop an earlier pick for obscure

No, you are fine.

Laugh if you will, scream gay all you want, but you simply can NOT have a 70's draft w/out this song........ Far from the best. BUT, it is arguably the most well known song from the entire 70's era - even kids today know this song.

20.03 Y.M.C.A. - The Village People :D

20.02 If I Can't Have You - Yvonne Elliman

My 2nd favorite song from that movie. :thumbsup:

Laugh if you will, scream gay all you want, but you simply can NOT have a 70's draft w/out this song........ Far from the best. BUT, it is arguably the most well known song from the entire 70's era - even kids today know this song.

:lol: Surely skids will throw us some obscurity

No, you are fine.

Well now that Y.M.C.A. has been picked I guess I am. I just wanted to make sure. HT is my buddy now and all that ghey stuff, but he reminds me of my ex wife. He seems to have a problem with everything.

I'm fairly happy with my roster and its diversity with funk and folk, but I need to get back to my prog rock roots. My biggest regret in this draft has been not getting a Kansas song. I had planned to take Carry on Wayward Son but Fandandy swiped it; I thought I could get Dust in the Wind a few rounds later but it was taken like 10 picks later.

I mentioned during my Renegade pick that those two Styx cassettes were what I played the most as a kid. Well, #3 was Kansas - Two for the Show, a double live album that came out in the late 70s. It had the above songs of course, but more importantly introduced me to their earlier works. The way the songs were laid out on the cassette I played "Lonely Wind" (actually released as a single so not obscure enough) and "Icarus - Borne on Wings of Steel" (my second place obscure) on one side, then flip it over and play a song based on a Herman Hesse novel about a man who wanders aimlessly throughout Medieval Germany after leaving a Catholic monastery school in search of what could be described as "the meaning of life," or rather, the meaning of his life. I basically just cycled these 3 songs again and again. Originally recorded in 1974 on their debut album, a fantastic feat of musicality, I present to you...

20.04 Journey from Mariabronn - Kansas

Hopefully obscure... :unsure:

• Like 1

I'm fairly happy with my roster and its diversity with funk and folk, but I need to get back to my prog rock roots. My biggest regret in this draft has been not getting a Kansas song. I had planned to take Carry on Wayward Son but Fandandy swiped it; I thought I could get Dust in the Wind a few rounds later but it was taken like 10 picks later.

I mentioned during my Renegade pick that those two Styx cassettes were what I played the most as a kid. Well, #3 was Kansas - Two for the Show, a double live album that came out in the late 70s. It had the above songs of course, but more importantly introduced me to their earlier works. The way the songs were laid out on the cassette I played "Lonely Wind" (actually released as a single so not obscure enough) and "Icarus - Borne on Wings of Steel" (my second place obscure) on one side, then flip it over and play a song based on a Herman Hesse novel about a man who wanders aimlessly throughout Medieval Germany after leaving a Catholic monastery school in search of what could be described as "the meaning of life," or rather, the meaning of his life. I basically just cycled these 3 songs again and again. Originally recorded in 1974 on their debut album, a fantastic feat of musicality, I present to you...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Hometown boy. Steve Walsh grew up and went to school right here in St Joseph,MO and is one helluva nice guy and extremely talented.At one time he was even married to my best friend's Aunt.His solo project Schemer Dreamer is a phenomenal album as well.

Switch Vehicle to round 20. Or War. That one got crickets. The War pick. What was it good for? Absolutely nothing! Say it again.

Is my pick obscure? Did it stump you? Do you think it'd stump nzoner?

I was born in late 79 so I dont really have any favorite obscure songs from the era. Plus you cant have a 70s draft without a little.......

Cocaine - Eric Clapton - 20.05

Is my pick obscure? Did it stump you? Do you think it'd stump nzoner?

I knew the song once I heard it. I don't know what it was or who sang it But it's one I've always liked :thumbsup:

As I said earlier in the draft I have Mama nzoner to thank for my obscure selection as this album was in her collection and I still remember at only 10 years old listening to it on my little turntable.Even then the sound was glorious to my ears and when I finally heard it on a great sound system I was :headbanger: The kicker is that this song has a long history and will most likely be taken in the 60's draft.Lastly,I have shared this version with many people over the years and honestly no one had ever heard of it but most became instant fans.Unfortunately,I lost mama's album in a fire back in '86 but thanks to the internet have the full album once again.I hope you guys who love music as much as I do(if you weren't already aware of this cover) enjoy as much as i enjoy sharing it with you.

20.06 House Of The Rising Sun- Frijid Pink

Band

Album Cover

Obscure

I wish I knew.......I've already got a pick to finish it off. :dunno:

As I said earlier in the draft I have Mama nzoner to thank for my obscure selection as this album was in her collection and I still remember at only 10 years old listening to it on my little turntable.Even then the sound was glorious to my ears and when I finally heard it on a great sound system I was :headbanger: The kicker is that this song has a long history and will most likely be taken in the 60's draft.Lastly,I have shared this version with many people over the years and honestly no one had ever heard of it but most became instant fans.Unfortunately,I lost mama's album in a fire back in '86 but thanks to the internet have the full album once again.I hope you guys who love music as much as I do(if you weren't already aware of this cover) enjoy as much as i enjoy sharing it with you.

Nice, enjoyed it. I hadn't heard that version, so meets "obscure" for me.

I've got a soft spot for that song because my daughter sang it in a rock-themed talent show in HS. :thumbsup:

:shocking: :pointstosky: :dunno:

Is it obscure if I know it well? :dunno:

Great double live album btw :thumbsup: I wore this album out. I love that version of "Lonely Wind"

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Hometown boy. Steve Walsh grew up and went to school right here in St Joseph,MO and is one helluva nice guy and extremely talented.At one time he was even married to my best friend's Aunt.His solo project Schemer Dreamer is a phenomenal album as well.

The ONLY thing I didn't like about Steve was his fashion sense (or lack thereof).

Someone else will need to link the video since I'm on mobile but...a little jazz/prog rock here from a guy who was neglected in the 80s draft.

20.07 - Traffic - The Low Spark of High-heeled Boys

Band

Album Cover

I know and like the original. This version is similar in quality.

Is it obscure if I know it well? :dunno:

Great double live album btw :thumbsup: I wore this album out. I love that version of "Lonely Wind"

Well... I figured you and nzoner would know it. Maybe Sux? "Obscure" is tough to define; I don't know if I know songs that nobody else knows. I went with "a guilty pleasure that not a lot of people know that I wouldn't pick if I were trying to win this thing." :dunno:

Someone else will need to link the video since I'm on mobile but...a little jazz/prog rock here from a guy who was neglected in the 80s draft.

Not obscure but great pick. Well, maybe meets my obscure definition. I had totally forgotten them. :thumbsup:

I know and like the original. This version is similar in quality.

Much much heavier though

I was watching the Lost episode where Hurley jump starts the Dharma van and a really cool 70s song started playing on the 8 track the moment the engine turned. I hadn't the foggiest idea what it was or who sang it but I loved it. It was so cool that I typed in the lyrics into a search engine and got both a song and a band that I had never heard of.

This is that scene.

See if you know it. I don't know how to do spoilers, I typed it in white to hide it. Highlight below for the song.

:

20.8 The Road to Shamballa Three Dog Night

• Like 1

I was born in late 79 so I dont really have any favorite obscure songs from the era. Plus you cant have a 70s draft without a little.......

Cocaine - Eric Clapton - 20.05

You should have seen the look on my dads face when he heard me play this song from the live Clapton album hed just given me on Xmas day.

He mostly scowled anyway, but when he heard this song he gave me that look like, wtf did you just say boy?

I had to do some serious splainin, so I made up a story about it actually being a drug PROTEST song.

Also, Ive never done coke, nor desired to.

Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t40INnb6DnY

Album Cover

Awesome. Ive never heard that version.

Well... I figured you and nzoner would know it. Maybe Sux? "Obscure" is tough to define; I don't know if I know songs that nobody else knows. I went with "a guilty pleasure that not a lot of people know that I wouldn't pick if I were trying to win this thing." :dunno:

no problem......was just giving giving you a hard time....plus I wanted to let you know that I knew it well. I've been a Kansas fan since 1975's "Masque" album......the rest has been a great ride.

Good song

My last pick isn't a favorite or necessarily obscure. It was popular at the time (77/78).

I was 7 and it was Dad's weekend with me and my brother. He took us to a pizza parlor that he frequented because the bartender was hot. He thought he could score some points with her by bringing his two boys in for lunch. Well, 2 hours later my brother and I are bored, there's nobody in the place but us. My dad gave me .50 to put in the jukebox. You got 3 plays for a quarter back then. I put in the .50 and played this song 6 times in a row and embarrassed the sh!t out my dad who was an avid country music guy. We left after the 5th playing of...

20.02 If I Can't Have You - Yvonne Elliman

I really like that song. :thumbsup:

I was watching the Lost episode where Hurley jump starts the Dharma van and a really cool 70s song started playing on the 8 track the moment the engine turned. I hadn't the foggiest idea what it was or who sang it but I loved it. It was so cool that I typed in the lyrics into a search engine and got both a song and a band that I had never heard of.

This is that scene.

See if you know it. I don't know how to do spoilers, I typed it in white to hide it. Highlight below for the song.

:

20.8 The Road to Shamballa Three Dog Night

That was actually on my list of bands not drafted,nicely done.

I lied I want 10 more rounds :cry:

Not really, I'm kidding. Sorta. I need to get some work done dadblammit. :(

• Like 1

You should have seen the look on my dads face when he heard me play this song from the live Clapton album hed just given me on Xmas day.

He mostly scowled anyway, but when he heard this song he gave me that look like, wtf did you just say boy?

I had to do some serious splainin, so I made up a story about it actually being a drug PROTEST song.

Also, Ive never done coke, nor desired to.

On my list. :doublethumbsup:

Nice. I guess I took light up or leave me alone a little early.

:lol:

That was actually on my list of bands not drafted,nicely done.

Yeah, I alluded to that band earlier (the one I was surprised hadn't been drafted, but wouldn't even consider drafting their biggest hit of the decade).

Yeah, I alluded to that band earlier (the one I was surprised hadn't been drafted, but wouldn't even consider drafting their biggest hit of the decade).

My fav was always

Never been To Spain

My fav was always

Never been To Spain

It's on my list. I was considering Elvis' version from Madison Square Garden as my obscure pick. A cheat where I would get elvis and that song