Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

NBA Free Agency 2018 Thread

LeBron is 33 not 23

Tick Toc Tick Toc

Yup. Not to mention they basically tried the same thing with PG but he decided he actually liked OKC. So, can't just assume he'll be there waiting for you next year. In the mean time, you waste one more year of Lebron's career. I'm not sure if I'd rather them give up the farm for Kawhi or keep developing their core. They may not have won as much as I'd have liked last year but they were entertaining to watch and you saw the kids growing up as the season progressed. Would be interesting to see how that group works out long term. So I understand them going either way.

Magic's overall percentage went down because he took more outside shots as an older player. Older players don't bang to the rim all the time. Jordan became more of a jump shooter as he aged and so did Magic. And his 3 point percentage went up more than slightly. 10% would be on the low end. I could be a doosh and just look at his last year when he shot 38% but I won't. But if you look at his last few years before his HIV retirement he shot 32%+. For a guy who was about 22% when he entered the NBA that's a significant improvement and, while not great in today's NBA, that wasn't horrible in his era.

Lonzo shot 30% from 3 last year, even with his horrible form. No reason he can't improve that significantly.

when you are taking so few 3-pointers 10% is not really that big of a deal. And certainly wasn't some massive alteration or Improvement in his jump shot.

when you are taking so few 3-pointers 10% is not really that big of a deal. And certainly wasn't some massive alteration or Improvement in his jump shot.

I got nothing to say to this but

:lol:

LeBron is 33 not 23

Tick Toc Tick Toc

True...but they arent winning it this year.

Lakers renounce Randle for Rondo? I dont think that makes sense. :dunno:

I think they would have like to keep Randle but he's going to command more than they would be willing to pay. I wonder if picking up Rondo has anything to do with a deal they're working with SA. If they send Ball to SA they'll need a replacement PG.

I got nothing to say to this but

:lol:

Fitting because your argument was crap.

but I'm sure you're right. He wasn't a great shooter in high school or college or most of his NBA career but he suddenly took three whopping three-pointers a game towards the end and his percentage went up a little bit. I'm sure it was some massive Improvement in his shooting. Yikes.

Fitting because your argument was crap.

but I'm sure you're right. He wasn't a great shooter in high school or college or most of his NBA career but he suddenly took three whopping three-pointers a game towards the end and his percentage went up a little bit. I'm sure it was some massive Improvement in his shooting. Yikes.

LOL. This is why I don't tend to get in to these threads on this bored. Bunch of basketball idiots for the most part. 10% for a skill where 40% is considered excellent is a huge jump. If you can't see that you're an idiot regarding basketball. Oh, and his least year he shot 38% which is 16% higher than when he joined the NBA. Now you're gonna tell me 16% isn't much either.

:overhead:

Lets recap. The Lakers have signed:

Lance Stephenson

JaValle McGee

Rajon Rondo

and have Lavar Ball hanging out around the facility.

and and are talking about signing Boogie Cousins.

It's as if they are trying to bring in the CRAZIEST players in the league to form a super team of knuckleheads. The only piece left is Delonte West. :crossesfingers:

Magic out here just drunk signing people. :lol:

After today's signings I bet LeBron is looking in the seat cushions for his receipt. "I'm taking this shiot back".

LeBron has to be second guessing this decision. What are they doing?

Lonzo, IT, and Rondo? I know they are gonna try to move some pieces but, what the actual fock?

LOL. This is why I don't tend to get in to these threads on this bored. Bunch of basketball idiots for the most part. 10% for a skill where 40% is considered excellent is a huge jump. If you can't see that you're an idiot regarding basketball. Oh, and his least year he shot 38% which is 16% higher than when he joined the NBA. Now you're gonna tell me 16% isn't much either.

:overhead:

Yeah you should stop. you're trying to make the argument of 3-pointers made like he was Ray Allen taking a bunch of them. He wasn't a great shooter. He never was.

If you think he magically did something different and made 30% you're a moron.

Yeah you should stop. you're trying to make the argument of 3-pointers made like he was Ray Allen taking a bunch of them. He wasn't a great shooter. He never was.

If you think he magically did something different and made 30% you're a moron.

Why are you suggesting arguments I haven't made? I've never compared him to great 3 point shooters. He shot a good enough percentage at the end of his career that he could keep people honest. Ray Allen couldn't take it to the hole like Magic either, but he still did to keep people honest. Same with Reggie Miller. If you're a guard you have to be able to do both, but how good you have to be at one is impacted by how good you are at the other. And players like Jordan or Kobe become almost unstoppable because of how good they are at both. You're really looking like a basketball idiot pursuing this. Just saying.....

Why are you suggesting arguments I haven't made? I've never compared him to great 3 point shooters. He shot a good enough percentage at the end of his career that he could keep people honest. Ray Allen couldn't take it to the hole like Magic either, but he still did to keep people honest. Same with Reggie Miller. If you're a guard you have to be able to do both, but how good you have to be at one is impacted by how good you are at the other. And players like Jordan or Kobe become almost unstoppable because of how good they are at both. You're really looking like a basketball idiot pursuing this. Just saying.....

You compared magic to Lonzo and you're going to call me a basketball idiot? Seriously? My Only Fault in this thread is I should have just let you hang yourself with that post instead of actually show you you are wrong.

You compared magic to Lonzo and you're going to call me a basketball idiot? Seriously? My Only Fault in this thread is I should have just let you hang yourself with that post instead of actually show you you are wrong.

Are reading comprehension and logic skills you lack? I never compared Magic to Lonzo. I said Lonzo could improve his shot just as Magic did over his career. That's not a difficult concept. It really isn't. And it's not unlikely. Given the resources available from an NBA team you'd be stupid to think he wouldn't improve his shot.

Randle already signs 2 year deal with the Pelicans ($18m?)

Good for him. Seemed like a good guy and pretty much always gave maximum effort. I'm okay with them letting him go though. He's undersized and IMO judgment challenged. I always worried about him making crucial mistakes at inopportune moments.

Are reading comprehension and logic skills you lack? I never compared Magic to Lonzo. I said Lonzo could improve his shot just as Magic did over his career. That's not a difficult concept. It really isn't. And it's not unlikely. Given the resources available from an NBA team you'd be stupid to think he wouldn't improve his shot.

He’s a very young guy, very capable of improving shooting and many other Bball related skills as he gets older and plays with the pros more. In fact it’s almost impossible to not. Don’t you get better at stuff by doing it and facing the best competition?

He’s a very young guy, very capable of improving shooting and many other Bball related skills as he gets older and plays with the pros more. In fact it’s almost impossible to not. Don’t you get better at stuff by doing it and facing the best competition?

Well, he's been doing it his whole life and facing the best competition his whole life. For some reason someone (Lavar?) taught him horrible shooting technique. But now that he's at the pro level if he wants to realize his potential and all the benefits that come with that ($$$$$$) he's going to need to change that technique. Hopefully he'll listen to the Lakers over his father in that regard.

Anything is possible, but Lonzo has to start completely from scratch.

He cannot continue to shoot the way he does and expect improvement.

Is there anyone in the NBA who would even attempt work with his current shooting motion and fine tune it?

Is there anyone in the NBA who would even attempt work with his current shooting motion and fine tune it?

Sure. The greatest coach of all time would do it ...

Lavar Ball

• Like 1

Pudding head... tell me how Magic Johnson entered This Thread. I'll wait. Oh it's because you tried to say that magic also entered the league not shooting very well. In other words a comparison.

But okay I'll throw you a Lifeline here. Can you tell me what magic did those last couple years that made him such a "good" 3-point shooter all of a sudden?

It says Lonzo was the 2nd most prolific 3pnt shooter in the country on that UCLA team. He shot 41% from 3. Is it that bad or maybe just had a rookie year? Why does form even matter? Arent results all that matters?

It says Lonzo was the 2nd most prolific 3pnt shooter in the country on that UCLA team. He shot 41% from 3. Is it that bad or maybe just had a rookie year? Why does form even matter? Arent results all that matters?

Well aside from the extra 15 of distance, guys get more open looks for 3 in college. If you shoot from down low, that matters.

Pudding head... tell me how Magic Johnson entered This Thread. I'll wait. Oh it's because you tried to say that magic also entered the league not shooting very well. In other words a comparison.

But okay I'll throw you a Lifeline here. Can you tell me what magic did those last couple years that made him such a "good" 3-point shooter all of a sudden?

It wasn't the "last couple of years". He got progressively better throughout his career. Magic was a tireless worker in the off season. He was legendary for picking something to improve on every year and doing so. You'd have to ask him what he did to improve his shot. I'm not gonna go watch 12 years of tape to try to tell you. But there was a marked improvement from early in his career to later in his career.

. If they send Ball to SA they'll need a replacement PG.

I think this is it. Why sign rondo for starting $? Magic boots the ball family and brings in LeBron, what a hero

I would guess if you have a jacked up shot technique the extra distance impacts more going from college to pro

I think this is it. Why sign rondo for starting $? Magic boots the ball family and brings in LeBron, what a hero

Dream scenario. Will be so happy if this happens!!! Hated the Lakers taking him last year.

You're adding more distance for one, as noted. You've also got bigger, faster guys closing out on you in the NBA. You have to be more of a quick release, knock down shooter in the NBA whereas in college you're often wide open with plenty of time to line up and measure your shot. He rushes them a little more in the NBA and that causes them to drift more. And the thing about Lonzo's shot is there are games where he is nailing them and there are games he can't hit the backboard he's so far off. A good shooter doesn't have that much variation. Once in a while a guy like J.J. Redick isn't even close but most of the time if he misses it's just an inch off and catches the rim. You can't be consistently as off as Lonzo is sometimes and be considered a reliable shooter.

It wasn't the "last couple of years". He got progressively better throughout his career. Magic was a tireless worker in the off season. He was legendary for picking something to improve on every year and doing so. You'd have to ask him what he did to improve his shot. I'm not gonna go watch 12 years of tape to try to tell you. But there was a marked improvement from early in his career to later in his career.

that's just not accurate. Pull up any three point stats. I can make the argument he actually got a little worse until his last 4 years. Even then you are saying he improved because he shot 30% as opposed to 22. And when he has an overall of 30% shooting I'm not sure how you could say that he either got better or was a good shooter.

Boogie Cousins to Warriors.

Thats stupid. Gah. As much as I hate LeBron going to LA. At least hes no Durant or Cousins.

Thats stupid. Gah. Ring Chasing in his prime. As much as I hate LeBron going to LA. At least hes no Durant or Cousins.

That is ring chasing. Boo

You're adding more distance for one, as noted. You've also got bigger, faster guys closing out on you in the NBA. You have to be more of a quick release, knock down shooter in the NBA whereas in college you're often wide open with plenty of time to line up and measure your shot. He rushes them a little more in the NBA and that causes them to drift more. And the thing about Lonzo's shot is there are games where he is nailing them and there are games he can't hit the backboard he's so far off. A good shooter doesn't have that much variation. Once in a while a guy like J.J. Redick isn't even close but most of the time if he misses it's just an inch off and catches the rim. You can't be consistently as off as Lonzo is sometimes and be considered a reliable shooter.

The variation is mainly a result of moving the ball across his face, then back again as he shoots. Its a recipe for disaster for left/right misses.

Most good shooters miss long or short more than they miss right or left. Thats mostly because they have a dependable, repeatable shooting motion that takes left/right misses largely off the table.

Ive spent a bit of time with this guy, and one of the main things he teaches is taking undo stress out of the shooting motion.

http://www.excellenceinbasketball.com/common.html

Ive had coaches tell me to bring my elbow in tight, set the ball in front of my face and push it straight up thru my nose.

But that actually causes undo stress on a straight up shooting motion. Drakes take on it the correct way to shoot is spot on IMO.

• Like 1

Hes not getting good NBA results shooting the ball.

36% from the field, 30% from the the 3 point line and an embarrassing 45% from the line

See my reply to Strike re: shooting form.

Thats stupid. Gah. As much as I hate LeBron going to LA. At least hes no Durant or Cousins.

Not judging with this post; just an observation. It's funny, when a player takes the max often times he's vilified for taking so much money the team can't afford the pieces to go around him to win a championship. But if a player takes less to play on a good team now he's vilified for chasing a ring or not building his own team. Interesting.....

The NBA Players Association will not like an ALL STAR taking 1/5 th of normal salary to ride coat tails to a ring, which in court of public opinion will be meaningless.

Not judging with this post; just an observation. It's funny, when a player takes the max often times he's vilified for taking so much money the team can't afford the pieces to go around him to win a championship. But if a player takes less to play on a good team now he's vilified for chasing a ring or not building his own team. Interesting.....

Taking less to build the team you are on is different than taking peanuts on the defending champs.

I have no problem with Boogie ring chasing....but that doesnt seem like a very good basketball fit.