Sign in to follow this  
cyclone24

Do we have any knowledgeable carpet guys?

Not that carpet you jackals...

So here's what happened...

long story short we had a leak in our air conditioning unit in the basement and it leaked water all over the place.

We had a company come out to dry it up but basically we had an area 15 feet by 5 feet where they had to pull the carpet up and cut out the pad. So we have to get it replaced right? Just pad and restretch the carpet.

$900.

So I called them up and tell them that's ridiculous that we are getting charge that much for such a small area and they said they had to restretch the entire carpet. My problem is we had couches, bar table and chairs,toys, recumbent bike, coffee table right next to the area that needed to be restretched. They just moved the coffee table back a little bit.

Does that make sense to anyone else that if they're going to claim they had to restretch the entire carpet basement that they don't have to move any of the furniture off of the carpet?

I munched some rug. :dunno:

ETA - why wouldnt you replace the rug? I would be concerned about mold.

We caught it pretty quick and he cut out a pretty good amount and sprayed it down. We're moving anyway. Ha.

I guess my thing is if the are claiming they had to do the entire carpet then why wasn't any furniture moved? If they only did the little spot that they did how can they justify charging me for doing carpet that wasn't anywhere close to the spot we had fixed? That floor carpet leads down a hallway, around a corner, into an entire another bedroom.

Too late now but you could have rented a carpet stretcher for like 20 bucks and done it yourself. You basically bought these guys a brand new rental quality stretcher and also paid them another 300 bucks for their time.

1. Did it match the curtains?

2. Did it really tie the room together?

• Like 1

I own a flooring store.

What is the total sf of carpet they claimed to have re-stretched? Yes, all furniture should usually be moved before re-stretching.

What is the total sf of new pad they installed?

Is this the same company that installed the carpet originally?

An aside - We dont ever do re-stretches unless its carpet we installed originally. Even then, certain criteria must be met in order for us to do the work.

• Like 1

I own a flooring store.

What is the total sf of carpet they claimed to have re-stretched? Yes, all furniture should usually be moved before re-stretching.

An aside - We dont ever do re-stretches unless its carpet we installed originally. Even then, certain criteria must be met in order for us to do the work.

837 sq feet.

New pad area was approx 75 sq feet. If I'm taking into account that they had to reseam the carpet in an area.... the area still would only be 25 feet by 15 feet or 375 feet.

.95 per square feet charge.

Same company that installed the carpet and pad.

I own a flooring store.

If you know you can take the guy for $900, you have to take advantage.

837 sq feet.

New pad area was approx 75 sq feet. If I'm taking into account that they had to reseam the carpet in an area.... the area still would only be 25 feet by 15 feet or 375 feet.

.95 per square feet charge.

Same company that installed the carpet and pad.

Not out of line if they actually do a complete re/stretch the correct way.

We would treat this like a normal install, moving all furniture, and stretching the carpet completely.

Install is $1.00/sf

Furniture move is $65 per room.

Basic pad is .65/sf

Not out of line if they actually do a complete re/stretch the cortect way.

We would treat this like a normal install, moving all furniture, and stretching the carpet completely.

Install is $1.00/sf

Furniture move is $65 per room.

Basic pad is .65/sf

Yeah I just don't buy that they had to go into the other room to stretch the carpet in another room.

I mean these guys were here no more than a half hour. And they moved no furniture to do this full restretch. So she based the pricing off the full basement carpet. Not just the room it was in. That's the part I have a problem with.

Little carpet update. They emailed and the installer said they did a full restretch.

I told them that I would like the installers to come back out and show me how they did a full restretch with numerous large furniture items all over the carpet that weren't moved.

the email back later and said they spoke to the manager they're issuing some sort of refund. Focking dirtballs Flooring America.

Worked for Stanley steamer for 6 years. Used to do water damage like that. Pull carpet up, replace the pad, dry the carpet as much as possible and restretch if necessary. Also if you were out of the house I’d help myself to your wife’s panty drawer, raid the fridge, maybe sneak a few bills if they were small here and there, no biggie.

Worked for Stanley steamer for 6 years. Used to do water damage like that. Pull carpet up, replace the pad, dry the carpet as much as possible and restretch if necessary. Also if you were out of the house Id help myself to your wifes panty drawer, raid the fridge, maybe sneak a few bills if they were small here and there, no biggie.

Stand up guy

Worked for Stanley steamer for 6 years. Used to do water damage like that. Pull carpet up, replace the pad, dry the carpet as much as possible and restretch if necessary. Also if you were out of the house Id help myself to your wifes panty drawer, raid the fridge, maybe sneak a few bills if they were small here and there, no biggie.

Standard..... expected.

ETA - why wouldnt you replace the rug?

That rug really tied the room together.

• Like 1

Nothing better than a stay at home mom judging what a tradesman charged and do.

Your posts have seriously gotten dumber and dumber by the week.

#alzheimers?

#parkinsons?

#drobeskiisalanalda?

Pretty stupid to say somebody that works from 5: 30am until 8: 30pm can't judge someone that works less hours. Keep punching that clock though.

Your posts have seriously gotten dumber and dumber by the week.

#alzheimers?

#parkinsons?

#drobeskiisalanalda?

Pretty stupid to say somebody that works from 5: 30am until 8: 30pm can't judge someone that works less hours. Keep punching that clock though.

confused you with whatsherface

Must match the drapes