Big Blue 06

Books you are reading

16 hours ago, Kanil said:

Did not disappoint. Great suggestion! 

I know I could go back and look, but what series did you just read?

TIA

I finished up the Unwind series by Neal Shusterman...  I know he targets young adults, but his stories are really good IMO...  The series is four books with two add-ons (a short novella that takes place between book two and three) and the last one after the final book...  I am waiting for the add-on to be available at the library and then I can check out the e-book...

Until then, decided to read the re-release of "The Stand" since I have about four weeks to wait for the above book...

23 minutes ago, posty said:

I finished up the Unwind series by Neal Shusterman...  I know he targets young adults, but his stories are really good IMO...  The series is four books with two add-ons (a short novella that takes place between book two and three) and the last one after the final book...  I am waiting for the add-on to be available at the library and then I can check out the e-book...

Until then, decided to read the re-release of "The Stand" since I have about four weeks to wait for the above book...

Hmm looks good Posty..ill check it out.  Thanks

On 3/6/2019 at 11:46 PM, Big Guy said:

Mad, Cracked, Creem & Circus 😜

Blasts from the past lol

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, posty said:

I know I could go back and look, but what series did you just read?

TIA

Guys who dig scifi/fantasy... great triology on Amazon Kindle... about half breed gods etc...  sorta like American Gods type books.  Trilogy.. 3rd book just came out.

I really dug them... just getting into the 3rd one now.

https://www.amazon.com/Paternus-Rise-Gods-Trilogy-Book-ebook/dp/B01CXPD8T4

33 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Guys who dig scifi/fantasy... great triology on Amazon Kindle... about half breed gods etc...  sorta like American Gods type books.  Trilogy.. 3rd book just came out.

I really dug them... just getting into the 3rd one now.

https://www.amazon.com/Paternus-Rise-Gods-Trilogy-Book-ebook/dp/B01CXPD8T4

In first book now..per your reccomendarion..good stuff.  Have u picked up stormlight book 4?

1 hour ago, Cloaca du jour said:

In first book now..per your reccomendarion..good stuff.  Have u picked up stormlight book 4?

I have... I think I got halfway through and got distracted.  Need to go back to it.

The Paternus series Kindle version is on sale at Amazon for 99 cents each for the next 5 days; I just bought them all based on the recommendations here.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

The new storm light archive came out today. Focking HUGE!

I recently finished Thunderhead, book 2 of Neil Shusterman’s Arc of a Scythe trilogy.  Very good, young adult target but interesting story and characters.  I have book 3 (The Toll) but am taking a break to read Bruce Davidson’s autobiography, What Does This Button Do?  Bruce is the lead singer for Iron Maiden and a throat cancer survivor; @DonS graciously got me it as a gift.  So far so good but I’ll hold off a review until I finish it.

I’ll work in the Paternus books on my iPad while I kill time waiting for treatments.

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

I recently finished Thunderhead, book 2 of Neil Shusterman’s Arc of a Scythe trilogy.  Very good, young adult target but interesting story and characters.  I have book 3 (The Toll) but am taking a break to read Bruce Davidson’s autobiography, What Does This Button Do?  Bruce is the lead singer for Iron Maiden and a throat cancer survivor; @DonS graciously got me it as a gift.  So far so good but I’ll hold off a review until I finish it.

I’ll work in the Paternus books on my iPad while I kill time waiting for treatments.

The Scythe trilogy was what got me hooked on Shusterman...  Since the Scythe trilogy, I have read the Skinjacker trilogy, The Unwind dystology and a couple of his other novels (Downsiders, Challenger Deep)...  I know his stories targets young adults, but I really do enjoy his writings...

17 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

The Bruce DICKINSON autobiography is even better! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DonS said:

The Bruce DICKINSON autobiography is even better! 

And that was an awesome gesture @DonS Good to see we aren’t all A-Holes

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

@mmmmm...beer

Warformed: Stormweaver book 1, Iron Prince. Have you read it? 5 stars on Kindle. It does not disappoint. Another leveling up type of series

That lit rpg stuff is a fun read.  I read one from a Dungeons perspective..a sentient dungeon lol, was actually well imagined all things considered.

• Like 1

Rhythm of War Book 4 of the Stormlight Archives.

14 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

@mmmmm...beer

Warformed: Stormweaver book 1, Iron Prince. Have you read it? 5 stars on Kindle. It does not disappoint. Another leveling up type of series

I haven't.... good I take it?

Wait... looking at my Kindle app I do have it downloaded and it's next after this current series.  Haha... cool.

I'm on a litrpg fan site on facebook and take a lot of recommendations from there.  Thwt was one of them.

On 12/21/2020 at 8:58 PM, Frozenbeernuts said:

@mmmmm...beer

Just finished it myself...kept reminding me of OSC's Enders game a bit at the beginning.

Excellent read tho...thanks!

On 12/22/2020 at 8:31 AM, Cdub100 said:

Rhythm of War Book 4 of the Stormlight Archives.

Just finished it. Very good addition to the series. 

41 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Just finished it myself...kept reminding me of OSC's Enders game a bit at the beginning.

I just finiabed it two days ago.  I thought it pretry good as well.  I hate the wait for thr sequels now.

Currently reading Ready Player One. Did NOT realize how different it is compared to the movie. But the book is FILLED with pop culture references and I love it. Once I’m finished, I’ve got the Ready Player Two book to start already 

39 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Currently reading Ready Player One. Did NOT realize how different it is compared to the movie. But the book is FILLED with pop culture references and I love it. Once I’m finished, I’ve got the Ready Player Two book to start already 

Glad you're enjoying it.  Now you can see why I hated the movie version.  

1 hour ago, Kanil said:

Just finished it. Very good addition to the series. 

It was okay I thought it needed some editing. 

Just now, DonS said:

Glad you're enjoying it.  Now you can see why I hated the movie version.  

I still enjoyed the movie but as sort of a separate deal from the book. I’m like that though when it comes to movie versions of the books. I can enjoy it even if it’s completely different from the book. 

But yea I can TOTALLY see why you’d hate the movie compared to the book. I’m on chapter 6 with a lot left to read and already there’s a stark contrast between the two

1 hour ago, Djgb13 said:

OK now I am interested- I never heard of the book or movie- I get it’s video game related by the title. - what else can be told without giving away too much ?

4 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

OK now I am interested- I never heard of the book or movie- I get it’s video game related by the title. - what else can be told without giving away too much ?

Basically if you lived in like the 80s you’d like it. Had a lot of older pop culture references. Set in the future somewhat (2040 I believe). There’s a new gaming system that is virtual reality and you can do ANYTHING there. Get married, have sex, gamble, play games, surf, climb the pyramids or mountains, etc. The guy who created it and owned it dies. However, he has no heir and created a challenge to collect 3 keys in the entire virtual world so they can get the golden egg. The person who collects them gets his entire fortune and control of his company. There’s an evil corporation that hires people to search for the keys and get the egg for them. If they win they plan on charging people to log on and also would fill up a players entire screen with ads. 

If you like to read then I’d suggest the book. The movie was good IMO but I’m the type that likes a lot of movies so I’m not sure if you’d like the movie. I’d give it a try though as well 

Thanks. I skimmed through as it seemed like a lot of detail. I’ll give a shot. I liked Stranger Things on Netflix mostly for the 80’s nostalgia 

19 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

Thanks. I skimmed through as it seemed like a lot of detail. I’ll give a shot. I liked Stranger Things on Netflix mostly for the 80’s nostalgia 

If you like 80s nostalgia you’ll like it :thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

It has some enders game in it. There were a few things that annoyed me about the book, but overall I definitely enjoyed it. The unfortunate part was that I somehow has gotten the idea there were 3 books in the series. It wasn't until I was finished that I realized this was book 1, and it had just come out in October

Just now, Frozenbeernuts said:

It has some enders game in it. There were a few things that annoyed me about the book, but overall I definitely enjoyed it. The unfortunate part was that I somehow has gotten the idea there were 3 books in the series. It wasn't until I was finished that I realized this was book 1, and it had just come out in October

I’ve got Enders game on my kindle fire. Just haven’t gotten around to reading it. I liked the movie and had been meaning to read the book way before the movie ever came out. Just haven’t gotten around to it 

3 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

I just finiabed it two days ago.  I thought it pretry good as well.  I hate the wait for thr sequels now.

I am now trying to read as many series that are not finished just so that I have multiple books to be looking forward too. The wait for the last cradle book was pretty rough since I wasn't really looking forward to other series to be continued.

Considering how long that book was (it really shouldn't have been that long imo), I assume its going to take the author longer to come out with book 2.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I am now trying to read as many series that are not finished just so that I have multiple books to be looking forward too. The wait for the last cradle book was pretty rough since I wasn't really looking forward to other series to be continued.

Considering how long that book was (it really shouldn't have been that long imo), I assume its going to take the author longer to come out with book 2.

Bad thing is... I have read so many of these partial series now.... I'm having a hard time remembering what book is what. .

1 minute ago, Djgb13 said:

I’ve got Enders game on my kindle fire. Just haven’t gotten around to reading it. I liked the movie and had been meaning to read the book way before the movie ever came out. Just haven’t gotten around to it 

My single favorite book of all time, which has more to do with when I read it. It was basically the first book into my gateway of reading. I loved every bit of it, and the ending was my favorite ending.

There are multiple series that have been born from that book. The two I read are the Ender series and another series that follows a different character, Bean. Both are great series and would give you a lot of material to keep yourself busy.

I believe there is a prequel series also, which I did start, the Formic Wars I believe. I got side tracked in the first book and never went back. I probably should now that I think about it

1 minute ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Bad thing is... I have read so many of these partial series now.... I'm having a hard time remembering what book is what. .

Download App book buddy. Keeps track of your read/borrowed/lent Books (obviously you have to enter the data but it helped me keep track. 

• Thanks 1

I finished Extinction Red Line, which is actually book 0. Its the first book in a pretty large series. It was included in Kindle unlimited so I was excited about the length of the series. Unfortunately the next book was not included in unlimited. That was a disappointment. It was a solid read. I believe it was written to explain how the series actually started to answer questions

Currently I am on Of Shadow and Sea by Will Wight. Its solid, but there isn't anything epic about the story about 40% in. It doesn't come close to capturing the imagination like the Cradle books did. Hopefully it picks up a little.

On thing I must praise Wight on is his ability to get to the point. That was part of what made me enjoy Iron Prince a little less. That book was filled with too much useless or repetitive fluff. Wight's books do not suffer from that issue.